***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

144,754 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by M.C. Swag
J.P. 03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Pilot said:

Christian Wood (rest)

Gotta make sure he's at full strength for that season finale against the Spurs
The Pilot
AG
The fool will get plenty of rest starting next week.
shack009
AG
The Pilot said:

Two weeks too late.
Goldie Wilson
ChoppinDs40 said:

Zachary Klement said:

Cuban is a cheap joke. Getting to be like Jerry Jones for me.
Cuban is far worse than Jerry.

Jerry can get ANYONE to sign and play here. Cuban is not only a complete clown, he can't attract talent.

He's easily the worst Dallas sports owner.
Cuban makes it so hard to root for the Mavs. It's gotta be enjoyable for non-Mavs fans to watch this thing crash and burn
Zachary Klement
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Zachary Klement said:

Jerry can get ANYONE to sign and play here. Cuban is not only a complete clown, he can't attract talent.

Who are the biggest FA adds Jerry has attracted in recent times? I can't think of anyone big off the top of my head, but could easily be missing someone.

Cuban is a bum. He is lying all over the place about Brunson.
shack009
AG
Zachary Klement said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Zachary Klement said:

Who are the biggest FA adds Jerry has attracted in recent times? I can't think of anyone big off the top of my head, but could easily be missing someone.

Yeah, that's actually just an anti Cuban narrative. The last big free agent the Cowboys signed was Brandon Carr in 2012.

The cowboys are known for drafting well recently, which is a bit different than the NBA strategy for good teams.

They made the Amari Cooper trade a few years ago and just this year spent low round picks on Cooks and Gilmore.

Mavs have tried making trades and they haven't worked out. They drafted Josh Green who is decent, but better players were drafted after him. Mavs don't typically have a first round pick, which is fine in the NBA as long as you are getting FAs, which the Mavs aren't.
ChoppinDs40
AG
signing big FAs isn't the name of the game in the NFL. Resigning your tip draft picks is... and we've done pretty well there (Zeke aside).
Zachary Klement
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

signing big FAs isn't the name of the game in the NFL. Resigning your tip draft picks is... and we've done pretty well there (Zeke aside).
Oh, for sure, the Cowboys clearly have a much better process when it comes to drafting, trading for, and retaining players. I can think of far more hits than misses. Taco, Zeke, and Amari Cooper are the only screw-ups I can really think of in recent memory. Compared to hits on Micah, Zack Martin, Dak, CD, etc. and even though drafting Zeke so high and paying him so much was a mistake, it isn't like he was a complete bum.

Zachary Klement
AG
shack009 said:

Zachary Klement said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Zachary Klement said:

Yeah, that's actually just an anti Cuban narrative. The last big free agent the Cowboys signed was Brandon Carr in 2012.

The cowboys are known for drafting well recently, which is a bit different than the NBA strategy for good teams.

They made the Amari Cooper trade a few years ago and just this year spent low round picks on Cooks and Gilmore.

Mavs have tried making trades and they haven't worked out. They drafted Josh Green who is decent, but better players were drafted after him. Mavs don't typically have a first round pick, which is fine in the NBA as long as you are getting FAs, which the Mavs aren't.
It is wild how poorly the Mavs have drafted, with the exception of Luka and Dirk. I know the NBA draft is tough, but sheesh.

2022 - Hardy was a good pick for where we got him.
2020 - Josh Green has been fine, but would rather have Tyrese Maxey or Desmond Bane. Tyrell Terry was a complete whiff and had multiple guys on NBA rosters taken after him. Same for Tyler Bey.
2018 - Brunson was obviously an incredible pick. So was Luka, of course.
2017 - DSJ was taken ahead of Donovan Mitchell, Bam Adebayo, and Jarrett Allen; three all stars.
2016 - AJ Hammons was taken with a throwaway second-rounder.

Then on top of that, none of the trades we've made have worked; whether it be KP, Seth Curry, or Kyrie.

Then we are incapable of signing free agents. Just a complete disaster.
shack009
AG
No Shane Larkin shout out?
AggieKatie2
AG
Sitting half the team tonight….bull***** I get the protected pick issue but still.
PatAg
AG
Goldie Wilson said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Zachary Klement said:

Cuban makes it so hard to root for the Mavs. It's gotta be enjoyable for non-Mavs fans to watch this thing crash and burn
For the record, Tim Macmahon is an absolutely clown and it really sucks he's our primary Mavericks media source.
PatAg
AG
Zachary Klement said:

shack009 said:

Zachary Klement said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Zachary Klement said:

It is wild how poorly the Mavs have drafted, with the exception of Luka and Dirk. I know the NBA draft is tough, but sheesh.

2022 - Hardy was a good pick for where we got him.
2020 - Josh Green has been fine, but would rather have Tyrese Maxey or Desmond Bane. Tyrell Terry was a complete whiff and had multiple guys on NBA rosters taken after him. Same for Tyler Bey.
2018 - Brunson was obviously an incredible pick. So was Luka, of course.
2017 - DSJ was taken ahead of Donovan Mitchell, Bam Adebayo, and Jarrett Allen; three all stars.
2016 - AJ Hammons was taken with a throwaway second-rounder.

Then on top of that, none of the trades we've made have worked; whether it be KP, Seth Curry, or Kyrie.

Then we are incapable of signing free agents. Just a complete disaster.
Can't leave off Josh Howard, but yea we have just mostly missed on draft picks. However if you look at it objectively, for most of Dirk's career we were drafting eihter 20 or higher or not even in the 1st round.
On that note, we were losing those draft picks in mostly failed trades, and that should be something they are criticized for as well.
Iowaggie
AG
When was the last time no Texas team was in the NBA Playoffs?
Has it ever happened?
alvtimes
I hope noone shows for the game. Team not trying to win, Im not interested either!
shack009
AG
alvtimes said:

I hope noone shows for the game. Team not trying to win, Im not interested either!

Unfortunately we have a chance if Luka is playing and Chicago is resting at least DeRozan and probably others as well.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Likely no DeRozan, LaVine, or Caruso.
Guitarsoup
AG
Iowaggie said:

When was the last time no Texas team was in the NBA Playoffs?
Has it ever happened?
This year would be the first time ever.
FriscoKid
AG
Kid and the GM and the owner should all be fired. Tonight's decision was stupid as ****.

I hope they stumble into a win and somehow OKC loses.

How do you explain **** like this to your kid that has been following this team all year long. "Sometimes you don't want to win".
shack009
AG
FriscoKid said:

Kid and the GM and the owner should all be fired. Tonight's decision was stupid as ****.

I hope they stumble into a win and somehow OKC loses.

How do you explain **** like this to your kid that has been following this team all year long. "Sometimes you don't want to win".

Really? I'm upset they aren't trying hard enough to lose.

So because tanking is hard to explain to kids, it's bad strategy to do it? The mavs best chance at having a better team in the future is to keep their pick this year.
shack009
AG
I just started watching. So Luka played in the first half and now we won't play him in the second half? I'm watching AJ Lawson and Frankie Smokes try to create offense.

This team is incapable of properly tanking. This is the worst down-the-middle play ever…
FriscoKid
AG
TO Bulls

"Hey guys you have to score or else the Mavs are going to play with 4"

Kid says, "WTF are you guys doing? I said don't shoot"
mavsfan4ever
AG
Why did Luka play the first quarter? Either sit him or play him, I don't get it.

Is there some selfish reason that he had to play 1 quarter, like hitting a points milestone or something? Does he have a new girlfriend who was at the game and has never seen him play? Makes no sense at all.
DannyDuberstein
AG
This organization has gone full rahtard. It's kind of amazing.
sincereag
mavsfan4ever said:

Why did Luka play the first quarter? Either sit him or play him, I don't get it.

Is there some selfish reason that he had to play 1 quarter, like hitting a points milestone or something? Does he have a new girlfriend who was at the game and has never seen him play? Makes no sense at all.

The Mavs had designated this game as Slovenia night so Luka played 1 qtr
shack009
AG
Reggie Bullock is playing. Jaden Hardy is not playing.

Hardy is celebrating the guys on the court as if Hardy has been a superstar in the league for years and he has been mentoring these guys who are finally getting a chance.
mavsfan4ever
AG
sincereag said:

mavsfan4ever said:

The Mavs had designated this game as Slovenia night so Luka played 1 qtr

Ah ok thanks for the info.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Jason Kidd's answers today where he couldn't explain the approach and said he wasn't involved in the decision was a good look
shack009
AG
Harp, Followill, and Skin talking about AJ Lawson as if he could be a rotation player on the Mavs next year is peak announcers who aren't used to watching tanking teams.
shack009
AG
Great job by this lineup of Theo, Lawson, Wright IV, Holiday, and Bullock of allowing Chicago to come back from down 10+ to now lead.
Ol Jock 99
AG
We did it guys. We really did it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
#10 pick. Well done. That said, I don't anticipate any lottery luck and look forward to Nico drafting the next Bill Wennington.
shack009
AG
Great loss guys. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory finally feels so good.
PatAg
AG
So we don't have the 10th pick locked up yet, I don't think. What are the reverse tiebreakers here.
South Platte
I was so looking forward to talking **** to rockets fans for years to come. Mavs served us a giant portion of dog**** this year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.