***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

144,761 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by M.C. Swag
Carlo4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Live look at Nico and Cuban discussing the possibility:

Just wait for the fire sale!
Carlo4
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Please yes

Please trade Bertans and anyone else killing our cap. I'll take it if it means we can clear out garbage contracts to help us next year, so be it
The Shank Ag
Carlo4 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Please yes

Please trade Bertans and anyone else killing our cap. I'll take it if it means we can clear out garbage contracts to help us next year, so be it

Nooooo, not the Latvian laser. I love watching 6-10 guys getting pushed around and out rebounded by 6-2 guys.
zgolfz85
AG
It's believed that Brooklyn would covet former Net Spencer Dinwiddie and in-demand swingman Dorian Finney-Smith in a prospective trade with the Mavericks, while Dallas would surely insist on moving off at least one of its longer contracts (Tim Hardaway Jr. or Davis Bertans) in a theoretical Irving deal.

- Marc stein
MW03
AG
I might move anyone for kyrie if it meant dumping one of those albatross contracts. And I love DFS. This team won't get better without shedding some of these, though.
Zachary Klement
AG
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1622324668047794177?s=20&t=p6MxGiDWmh7M7oaPXfQ***
OMG
. . .
Peter Klaven
AG
Man I don't know about that....
Zachary Klement
AG
2029 first. They're betting on Luka leaving.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Extremely interesting

Hurts the depth and defense, but Doncic/Irving/Hardway/Wood/Powell might be the best offensive starting 5 in the NBA. Easily the best starting backcourt.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Zachary Klement said:

Or they're operating like most competitive NBA franchises and treating picks like they don't matter (which they don't).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zachary Klement
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Zachary Klement said:

Or they're operating like most competitive NBA franchises and treating picks like they don't matter (which they don't).
I meant Brooklyn is betting on Luka leaving, not Dallas.
jograki
AG
I feel the same about being intrigued. Hope it all works out. Sad to see Dinwiddie go though.
Carlo4
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Carlo4 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Please yes

Nooooo, not the Latvian laser. I love watching 6-10 guys getting pushed around and out rebounded by 6-2 guys.

Good news. You get to see it still
Goldie Wilson
Shame we couldn't send Bertans as well
LeagueCityAg
AG
I don't like that we couldn't offload Bertans. Very high risk move.
Infection_Ag11
AG
jograki said:

I feel the same about being intrigued. Hope it all works out. Sad to see Dinwiddie go though.

Dinwiddie is a nice player, but Kyrie is one of the most efficient ball dominant high scoring guards in the last 40 years. And it finally gives the Mavericks the ability to rest Luka without automatically conceding a scoring run to the other team.

But defensively an already struggling team got worse
MW03
AG
Morris.
Good Poster
AG
I'm not even a Mavs fan but this will be fun to watch
Guitarsoup
AG
$21mm and 13.4mm off the cap for next year, too. Could get the Mavs workable cap space next year, but with Kyrie, Wood and Powell as FAs.
Carlo4
AG
MW03 said:

Morris.

Insurance so his twin brother stops cheap shotting Luka in the playoffs
Know Your Enemy
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
LeagueCityAg said:

I don't like that we couldn't offload Bertans. Very high risk move.
Bertans has two years left, but only 5mm left on the second year. He can be waived and stretched over 5 years this summer for 4.4mm/year. Considering his production since joining Dallas, I could see that happening.
FriscoKid
AG
Goldie Wilson said:

Shame we couldn't send Bertans as well

Or Hardaway. Not a fan of losing Dinwiddie.
Guitarsoup
AG
One thing to consider: The Lakers were trying to acquire Kyrie in a package based on Westbrook. Keeping the Lakers from having a combo of LeBron, Anthony Davis, and Kyrie for the playoff run is worth something. Lakers are currently 2 games out of the playin.

That would be a ridiculously hard team to defend, if they are all healthy.
Guitarsoup
AG
John Hollinger article from YESTERDAY:

Quote:

I expect the Mavericks to kick the tires on Irving deals to see if they can dump some bad contracts, but ultimately I don't expect them to come that strong. First of all, because they can't Dallas just doesn't have a ton of good assets or expiring contracts to put into a deal.

Second, because of the risk factor that Irving could poison things badly enough in Big D for Luka Doni to decide he's seen enough and wants out; he wouldn't be the first Irving teammate to reach that conclusion.

Dallas could construct a deal that sends the Nets old friend Spencer Dinwiddie, plus Tim Haradaway Jr. and a "first available" first-rounder, which likely conveys in 2025. Is that enough? I doubt it. Dallas' contracts are slightly better than Miami's, and the Mavs may be a bit more desperate at the moment, but ultimately the risk factor of losing Luka seems to make the downside worse here than almost any place else.
[url=https://theathletic.com/4154692/2023/02/03/kyrie-irving-trade-candidates-mavericks/][/url]
[url=https://theathletic.com/4154692/2023/02/03/kyrie-irving-trade-candidates-mavericks/][/url]
LeagueCityAg
AG

Whatever makes Luka happy, let's ride!
txagman1998
AG
Spaceship
AG
Two ball dominant headstrong guys in the same backcourt - this will be interesting to watch.
Proposition Joe
I mean, when the only real alternative is to tank... I'm fine taking the risk.
LeagueCityAg
AG
Spaceship said:

Two ball dominant headstrong guys in the same backcourt - this will be interesting to watch.
It worked with Lebron, it can work with Luka.
Guitarsoup
AG
Spaceship said:

This will give Luka more of an opportunity to rest, especially during the regular season. He's currently playing 36.5mpg.

You rest him a few more minutes per game so he has some bounce left in his legs for a long playoff run. Before Kyrie, you have to be hesitant to do that, because you don't have a great person to run the offense.

But with Kyrie, you have Kyrie out there for every minute Luka is not. Knock Luka down to ~33mpg and Kyrie plays the 15mpg that Luka rests as well as about 20mpg together.

While Kyrie is primarily a ball-dominate lead guard, about 1/3rd of his 2pt shots are assisted and over 50% of his 3pt shots are assisted. He is a career 39% 3pt shooter.

Kyrie will be great playing off ball for Luka to create open 3pt shots for him and he will do a great job running the offense when Luka is resting.
Zachary Klement
AG
LeagueCityAg said:

Spaceship said:

It worked with Lebron, it can work with Luka.
This is one thing I keep coming back to. Kyrie was the most successful when he was paired with LeBron...Luka and LeBron are so similar stylistically, I honestly think this will be a great fit.
Guitarsoup
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yesterday's Mavs team wasn't going to win anything. This one just might. And it's at least a contract dump.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.