***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

137,051 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by M.C. Swag
Goldie Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dry Powder
jeffdjohnson
shack009 said:

I'm very surprised both THJ and Wood are on this team still. I'll be very interested to hear what the strategy was here.

THJ's contract is a negative value. Mavs aren't in a position to add compensation just to move off from THJ.

On the other hand, Wood is expiring and could have some value depending on what other teams actually wanted. If they wanted to get off a long-term salary or swap for another expiring, I'm sure those offers were likely on the table. Maybe they could have swapped for Reggie Jackson if they really wanted to, who knows? At the end of the day, the Mavs didn't like whatever was available for Wood. I'm just saying... letting this guy walk for nothing would be poor asset management. Hope they can figure something out here.
shack009
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

shack009 said:

I'm very surprised both THJ and Wood are on this team still. I'll be very interested to hear what the strategy was here.

THJ's contract is a negative value. Mavs aren't in a position to add compensation just to move off from THJ.

On the other hand, Wood is expiring and could have some value depending on what other teams actually wanted. If they wanted to get off a long-term salary or swap for another expiring, I'm sure those offers were likely on the table. Maybe they could have swapped for Reggie Jackson if they really wanted to, who knows? At the end of the day, the Mavs didn't like whatever was available for Wood. I'm just saying... letting this guy walk for nothing would be poor asset management. Hope they can figure something out here.
Contracts like that are not an albatross for young teams that have to have cap filler that are not in win-now mode. Even teams like Atlanta who are in no-man's land would take a guy like that to try to fit pieces on their team differently.

I agree on Wood. I like him and want him for another 2-3 years if he is available for under $15mil per year. The issue is he wants 4 years and he thinks he's a max player haha.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

jeffdjohnson said:

shack009 said:

Contracts like that are not an albatross for young teams that have to have cap filler that are not in win-now mode. Even teams like Atlanta who are in no-man's land would take a guy like that to try to fit pieces on their team differently.

I agree on Wood. I like him and want him for another 2-3 years if he is available for under $15mil per year. The issue is he wants 4 years and he thinks he's a max player haha.
I'd even go to low 20s if he can embrace the Mavs culture...seemed like he did early on, especially when he was hitting big stat lines and then it tapered off. I'm sure knowing he was heavily shopped will have made for further damage there.
shack009
AG
I agree, I'm extremely hopeful what we have seen from him the past 2 games is him still recovering from the thumb injury as well as some hurt feelings over being on the trade block. I really hope he can move past this and get back to his early-season form. He has to do it if he wants to be paid what he is asking this offseason. He doesn't have many chances left.
Zachary Klement
AG
So who are the potential buyout guys, and when does that action start?

-John Wall
-PatBev
-Reggie Jackson
-Danny Green

Were all guys moved today that will likely get bought out? Anyone else to keep an eye on?
MW03
AG
Mr. Wood is not pleased with twitter

fightinags2013
AG
Mavs desperately need another wing defender with Dorian gone. Bullock and Green can't defend Booker/Durant by themselves. Nobody can REALLY defend Durant, but the Mavs at least need to at least add one B+ defender.
Zachary Klement
AG
shack009
AG
MW03 said:

Big if true.
zgolfz85
AG
pat bev to magic for mo bamba, hoping we can get pat bev or reggie jackson on the cheap

DAMN LAL getting better today too
Grapesoda2525
Should be a lot of guys on the buy out market, but will they all just go to Lakers, clippers, and suns?
Goldie Wilson
Yeah gotta think LAL and PHX are the top destinations
Zachary Klement
AG
zgolfz85
AG
jeffdjohnson
Yeah, PHX offers a lot of opportunities right now for needed depth on a finals favorite. I think the Mavs can be a draw though with Irving and Luka. There are 15-20 backup PG minutes per game on this team. Reggie Jackson could eat into THJ minutes as well, which could get him some decent floor time. The Mavs don't really have a backup PG except for McKinley Wright IV. Getting Reggie Jackson or Pat Bev would be pretty big.

I don't think there are any big man minutes available between Morris/Kleber/Powell/Wood/McGee. Obviously, that is not the most talented group of players, but it's not likely a buyout guy will be any better. Maybe could find 15 minutes for another competent wing defender behind Green and Bullock. Not sure who that would be, Danny Green is likely washed.
Zachary Klement
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Should be a lot of guys on the buy out market, but will they all just go to Lakers, clippers, and suns?
Wondering if Kyrie makes Dallas more attractive given how well he is liked around the league.
zgolfz85
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Yeah, PHX offers a lot of opportunities right now for needed depth on a finals favorite. I think the Mavs can be a draw though with Irving and Luka. There are 15-20 backup PG minutes per game on this team. Reggie Jackson could eat into THJ minutes as well, which could get him some decent floor time. The Mavs don't really have a backup PG except for McKinley Wright IV. Getting Reggie Jackson or Pat Bev would be pretty big.

I don't think there are any big man minutes available between Morris/Kleber/Powell/Wood/McGee. Obviously, that is not the most talented group of players, but it's not likely a buyout guy will be any better. Maybe could find 15 minutes for another competent wing defender behind Green and Bullock. Not sure who that would be, Danny Green is likely washed.
agreed, Wall and Russ (kill me) would be my B group of buyout PGs behind pat bev and reggie. Russ's plus/minus isn't actually as bad as I was thinking...I just don't want another guy in the locker room thinking he's deserving of more mins. If he can just be high energy rebounding/assist russ, great, but we know he can't.

I want another wing. D Green is trash now like you said. I think those last 2 injuries did him in for good
shack009
AG
No thanks on Russ. This team needs to lean in to the offensive identity and Russ kills floor spacing. Teams sag off of him completely because he is not a threat from the 3-point line.
Grapesoda2525
Getting just Jackson or Beverly would be huge. Is there a rule that you can't go to the team who just traded you after a release / buy out?

That would eliminate Jackson to clippers and Beverly to lakers possibilities.
zgolfz85
AG
Q Jackson got a 2 way with the wizards. would selfishly love to get him to Dallas at some point
True Anomaly
AG
Zachary Klement said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Wondering if Kyrie makes Dallas more attractive given how well he is liked around the league.
Especially also with Luka. I think the majority of the league agree that Luka is one of the new alphas
hph6203
AG
Mavericks had this scenario at one point, but I can't recall which player it was. They at the time couldn't be traded and return to the team that traded them for some set time period (my recollection was 3 months, but it's probably been a decade). Quick google says that period is the rest of the league year.
dave94
AG
But if they're bought out (I.e. "released) I don't think that applies
Guitarsoup
AG
hph6203 said:

Mavericks had this scenario at one point, but I can't recall which player it was. They at the time couldn't be traded and return to the team that traded them for some set time period (my recollection was 3 months, but it's probably been a decade). Quick google says that period is the rest of the league year.
I think the rule happened because of the Mavs. They traded away someone as cap fodder, the player was cut, and they resigned the player immediately. Alan Henderson? Diop? Adrian Griffin? Someone like that.
South Platte
Durant is old as balls. Phx might as well sign Barkley and majerle.
zgolfz85
AG
South Platte said:

Durant is old as balls. Phx might as well sign Barkley and majerle.

He's only 35…old yeah, but not that old. They'll get at least 2 more elite years out of him
dave94
AG
Love Doe Doe, will miss him but now cheering for him and Spencer.
Carlo4
AG
South Platte said:

majerle.

TheMasterplan
Goldie Wilson said:

Dry Powder
This comment didn't get enough love.

Story of Mavs life.
hph6203
AG
It was the Jason Kidd trade that Jerry Stackhouse was included in. He said he was going to be bought out and return to the Mavericks after the trade. The original waiting period was 30 days, but the league blocked Stackhouse from returning to the Mavericks. The player that started the rule was Gary Payton who was traded by the Celtics to the Hawks for Antoine Walker at the 2005 trade deadline and returned to the Celtics after bing bought out. The extension of the period to the entire league year appears to have been caused by Ilgauskas who was traded in 2010 and returned to the Cavs after 30 days.

Gary Payton Rule and Ilgauskas Resigns
Jerry Stackhouse barred from returning to the Mavericks
Guitarsoup
AG
Gotcha. Crazy all that has been almost 20 years. All that stuff happened in the heyday of the Basketball Other board. Getting so old.
hph6203
AG
I couldn't for the life of me remember who it was when I posted that, which is why it was vague. I thought it was either Stackhouse or J. Kidd, but quick google returned that Stackhouse was pissed about his role with Carlisle's offense and wanted the trade (year before the trade) and J. Kidd's issue was that he was supposed to re-sign with the Mavericks post-championship and he instead dipped to NYK. My memory isn't what it used to be.

After you responded I just knew the rule had already been established by the Stackhouse incident and had no idea when it was instituted and got curious.

Anyway, the answer is that they can't re-sign within the same league year, but it looks like Bev is headed back to Minnesota and Jackson is headed to the Suns.
Guitarsoup
AG
I was at least partially correct. Alan Henderson was traded for Keith Van Horn, cut, then signed back with the Mavs.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hendeal01.html
hph6203
AG
Keith van Horn later was used as an "I retired but not really" sign and trade to match salaries in the Jason Kidd trade when Devean George said "**** New Jersey, I will not go!" That refusal led to the gap where Stackhouse said he'd return to the Mavericks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.