***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

148,041 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Zachary Klement
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lol Bertans had 17 points in the first half. This bum hasn't scored more than 10 points since January.
Ol Jock 99
AG
We're going to win this stupid game.
shack009
AG
Jaden Hardy is too good to be playing must lose games. Mavs down 13 mid way through the 3rd.
shack009
AG
Down by 23 with 5 minutes left and OKC up by 15 with 5 minutes left.

Would be great if Utah can pull it off against the Lakers. They are down 7 with 5 left.
zgolfz85
AG
nice result today. Now let's hope we avoid penalty and get lucky in the lottery
shack009
AG
Mavs finish alone in 10th worst. I think it's an 80%ish chance that mavs will draft in the top 10, with an outside chance for top 4 (I think around 4%).
PatAg
AG
alvtimes said:

shack009 said:

FriscoKid said:

Kid and the GM and the owner should all be fired. Tonight's decision was stupid as ****.

I hope they stumble into a win and somehow OKC loses.

How do you explain **** like this to your kid that has been following this team all year long. "Sometimes you don't want to win".

Really? I'm upset they aren't trying hard enough to lose.

So because tanking is hard to explain to kids, it's bad strategy to do it? The mavs best chance at having a better team in the future is to keep their pick this year.

no its because people spend their money on tickets when a team isnt trying to win…. its bull**** and i hope the nba fines cuban a couple million
Probably shouldn't have bought tickets for this particular game.
Now there is a real conversation about your main point that I 100% agree with. The NBA needs to do something about so many star players taking games off, for the exact reason you stated. Maybe we just need less games, or maybe they need to stop having back to backs. I doubt it would be hard to schedule a season with no back to back nights.
hph6203
AG
shack009 said:

Mavs finish alone in 10th worst. I think it's an 80%ish chance that mavs will draft in the top 10, with an outside chance for top 4 (I think around 4%).
It's just under ~80% chance they keep their pick, ~14% chance they get a top 4 pick, and ~3% chance they get the #1 pick.
HawthornAggie
AG
hph6203 said:

shack009 said:

It's just under ~80% chance they keep their pick, ~14% chance they get a top 4 pick, and ~3% chance they get the #1 pick.

So you're telling me there's a chance!
hph6203
AG
Time for the $100 handshake!
M.C. Swag
AG
The pearl clutching by the national media is insufferable. I'm stupefied that nba 'experts' are so ignorant of something that apparently 'disgusts' them.

hph6203
AG
They're paid to have opinions, not to think critically. Saying it's okay or strategically smart to lose is never going to be a sound bite that any major publication or broadcast company is going to want. He either says nothing or he says it's despicable.
PatAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

The pearl clutching by the national media is insufferable. I'm stupefied that nba 'experts' are so ignorant of something that apparently 'disgusts' them.

Related to his idiocy, we shouldn't have even had a shot at making the play-in. The play-in shouldnt exist, and we would have just been out of the playoffs no matter what.

I think we are all upset about not making it, and it should be unacceptable for a team with Luka to miss. Thats on the front office entirely, even if you want to put a lot of blame on Kidd. They hired him
Carlo4
AG
PatAg said:

I think we are all upset about not making it, and it should be unacceptable for a team with Luka and Kyrie to miss. Thats on the front office entirely, even if you want to put a lot of blame on Kidd. They hired him
FIFY.

We have 2 of the top 10 NBA players, and couldn't even be in the top 20 teams (out of 30) to have an opportunity in the playoffs. That's horrible.
J.P. 03
AG
Mavs fined $750k for tanking vs the Bulls
Guitarsoup
AG
J.P. 03 said:

M.C. Swag
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

J.P. 03 said:

Exactly. Pretty sure it is worth $750k to go from no draft picks to a top-10 pick.

NBA should have done a sliding scale penalty based on where the Mavs end up in the draft.
hph6203
AG
Fine the Mavericks $750,000 for intentionally losing 2 games and not giving a single dime of it back to the fans that bought tickets. It's because they failed our fans, but **** you if you think you're getting a single penny back from us! At least the Mavericks weren't con artists about it, the NBA is full of it.
M.C. Swag
AG
Lets be honest, if you're buying tickets to ANY NBA game in April, you shouldn't expect a competitive game. How many teams played their starters the last 2-3 games? Maybe like 5? If you buy a ticket to a game the last week of the regular season and are SHOCKED to see stars sit, you probably aren't a big basketball fan anyways lol.
Zachary Klement
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Wonder if Portland or San Antonio are gonna get fined!
J.P. 03
AG
Zachary Klement said:

J.P. 03 said:

The fact that we all already know the answer just further proves what a joke the NBA has become on this topic.
Zachary Klement
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Zachary Klement said:

J.P. 03 said:

The fact that we all already know the answer just further proves what a joke the NBA has become on this topic.
Pretty pathetic. Silver is a pansy.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I think the Mavs are first team to openly admit to tanking before being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. So I cam see why the league couldn't let it slide
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They could also do themselves a favor by not being dumbasses about what they say to the media. Play your cards close to the vest, get your stories straight, and move on.
PatAg
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

I think the Mavs are first team to openly admit to tanking before being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. So I cam see why the league couldn't let it slide
Play in tournament shouldnt be a thing, thats an even bigger joke than us tanking the game.
We SHOULD have been eliminated already.
NoahAg
PatAg said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Play in tournament shouldnt be a thing, thats an even bigger joke than us tanking the game.
We SHOULD have been eliminated already.
Good point. 16 playoff teams and all 7-game series is ridiculous.
J.P. 03
AG
Mavs close to hiring former Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey to be a consultant? I choose to be optimistic about how this can help the organization instead of dwelling on the negatives of what this probably says about the job Nico and, for that matter, Michael Finley are doing.
M.C. Swag
AG
Nothing will change if Cuban is still calling the shots. Just another scape goat.
awinlonghorn
realistically, not a lot of ways for this team to get better.

Hardy is a bright spot. He will get major playing time.

Luka is Luka.

Maxi is good off the bench for 20 mins a game.

Josh Green is good off the bench for 20 mins a game.

Kyrie - who knows.

Beyond that, this is a major rebuild. Need 2 new 4's, 2 new 3's, a real center.

UGH
PatAg
AG
I think I disagree. I think we have a lot of players who would be a lot better if they were 2-3 slots down the pecking order.
jeffdjohnson
awinlonghorn said:

realistically, not a lot of ways for this team to get better.

Hardy is a bright spot. He will get major playing time.

Luka is Luka.

Maxi is good off the bench for 20 mins a game.

Josh Green is good off the bench for 20 mins a game.

Kyrie - who knows.

Beyond that, this is a major rebuild. Need 2 new 4's, 2 new 3's, a real center.

UGH
Mavs are in big trouble. They really pissed away their opportunity after Luka's 2nd year. They had significant cap space and did nothing with it. They gave away Harrison Barnes for nothing. I was a fan of it at the time because I assumed they were going to do something in free agency. Turns out it was just Cuban being cheap. Just like losing Brunson for literally nothing. Cuban saved some money again. Ironically they end up being so bad that he still gives away 750K for tanking.

At this point, you either have to sign Kyrie for whatever it takes or do some kind of sign-and-trade to get back compensation. Losing Kyrie for nothing would likely take away any chance of salvaging the Luka era short of Jaden Hardy turning into an all-star. Losing the pick would be bad but they would still only have 2 picks to trade either way. A #10 pick is (probably) more valuable than a future Mavs pick, although if I were a GM I would be shorting the Mavs big time right now. Jumping into the top 4 (~14%) would salvage quite a bit of value lost in the last 3 seasons. Jumping to number 1 (3.0%) would more than make for all of Cuban's bull*****
J.P. 03
AG
Infection_Ag11
AG
That's overstating it a bit. Dallas with both Kyrie and Luka on the floor together had the highest adjusted offensive efficiency of any duo on any team all season. The problem was they didn't play anything even remote resembling defense down the stretch. But if Hardy continues to develop and they can keep some three point shooters around you can quickly build the best offense in basketball.

Dallas needs defensive on the perimeter and interior, a lot of it, but that's much easier to find than multiple elite perimeter scorers and distributors together on the same team.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Guitarsoup
AG
https://theathletic.com/4474477/2023/05/01/kyrie-irving-dallas-mavericks-free-agency?source=user-shared-article

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.