***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

139,014 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by M.C. Swag
EllisCoAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
is there such a thing as a good contract? especially a couple of years down the road.
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
Silvertaps
AG
EllisCoAg said:

is there such a thing as a good contract? especially a couple of years down the road.

Great question on Bobby Bonilla Day.
EllisCoAg
AG
Silvertaps said:

EllisCoAg said:

Great question on Bobby Bonilla Day.

Oh from a player perspective there are many good to great contracts but from a team perspective, seems like anything other than superstars are bad contracts at least more bad than good ones
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
J.P. 03
AG
I can accept losing Brunson to the Knicks for over $100 million, but how in the world do the Mavs lose Goran Dragic to the Bulls for the veteran minimum?!??
Zachary Klement
AG
Reports saying Mavs want to save that spot for a wing.
Iowaggie
AG
Luka single-leg takedown of angry fan.

J.P. 03
AG
Zachary Klement said:

Reports saying Mavs want to save that spot for a wing.

Absolutely makes sense with the current roster, but I assume either Hardaway or Dinwiddie won't be here next year and we'll need a veteran-minimum guard to fill that spot. I was hoping the Mavs could have convinced Dragic to at least wait to see how the trade market shakes out before making a decision, which is probably where more of my frustration is coming from.

Especially after we keep hearing about how player-friendly the Mavs are now and how everyone wants to come play with Luka. They couldn't even convince his BFF from the Slovenian national team to come play with him.
PatAg
AG
Or they decided he wasn't worth the money, he is definitely at the end of his career
zgolfz85
AG
There's no way they decided he isn't worth the vet minimum. He was one of the only bright spots on that nets team in their playoff series. Steal at that price
kam31
AG
Not signing Dragic makes me think there has to be something else in the works.
zgolfz85
AG
kam31 said:

Not signing Dragic makes me think there has to be something else in the works.

Man I hope you're right. Really want a true point guard in there so we don't become the harden rockets 2.0. I'm fine with Luka bringing it up, as long as it's not the whole time
mavsfan4ever
AG
We desperately need a playmaker after losing Brunson. I would've rather had dragic over a veteran minimum 3 and d wing (if that's what we we are going after). Unless we are thinking Hardy or the Theo Pinson can playmake. And I hope we aren't counting on them
South Platte
If we completely whiff this offseason we need to do what Golden State did recently and the Spurs did in the 90's. Sit your stars for a season or two, get a top lottery pick, then make another run at it.

Yes, I'm advocating us sitting Doncic for an entire year or two with fake injury so we can draft the #2 we need.
Goldie Wilson
South Platte said:

If we completely whiff this offseason we need to do what Golden State did recently and the Spurs did in the 90's. Sit your stars for a season or two, get a top lottery pick, then make another run at it.

Yes, I'm advocating us sitting Doncic for an entire year or two with fake injury so we can draft the #2 we need.
PatAg
AG
South Platte said:

We've already not completely whiffed...
NoahAg
South Platte said:

Sorry, but that is really, really not smart. No offense. That's dumb. The Mavs literally just made it to the WC Finals and you're advocating tanking for two years?

We were never supposed to do anything in 2022 free agency. I love Brunson and wish he was coming back, but I do believe adding Christian Wood is a net positive for our starting lineup. And with a healthy Hardaway we will be at least as good in 22-23 as we were this season.
Let's go, Brandon!
South Platte
NoahAg said:

South Platte said:

Sorry, but that is really, really not smart. No offense. That's dumb. The Mavs literally just made it to the WC Finals and you're advocating tanking for two years?

We were never supposed to do anything in 2022 free agency. I love Brunson and wish he was coming back, but I do believe adding Christian Wood is a net positive for our starting lineup. And with a healthy Hardaway we will be at least as good in 22-23 as we were this season.
Come on man!! Net positive by losing Brunson and getting Wood? He's 27 and never played in a playoff game, never played under pressure. We just lost a dude that RAISED his game during the playoffs, which not many guys can do. He was so desperate to leave that he signed with the Knicks for less money. Knicks have won 1 playoff series in 20 years.

I don't see how all of these other teams have assembled massive talent so easily. They play under the same contract/cap rules we do. It hasn't always worked out for teams, but at least they put players together. The Lakers sucked but they had Lebron, AD, and Westbrook. How can they do it and we are seemingly strapped by rules that can only result in us getting this Jaden Hardy clown that MCSwag thinks is garbage.

Send Luka back to Slovenia to care for his sick grandmother or something.
NoahAg
Wood brings elements that we haven't had. He fills a role that the Dwight/Kleber combination clearly can't.
I remember being devastated when Nash left for Phoenix. But he and Dirk grew into being better players apart from each other. And the Mavs eventually got there. Of course, this situation isn't exactly the same.

Again, I wish Jalen stayed. He does have his limitations though. This roster is still really good. Starting over makes no sense. Telling Luka not to play is ridiculous. No doubt he would demand a trade.

Let's go, Brandon!
NoahAg
How likely is it that Durant does not get moved? I'm sure Kyrie will get dealt eventually, but as much as KD is worth is it possible the Nets are forced to just hold him and he misses a year? It doesn't look like anyone can put together a deal big enough to satisfy what the Nets must get in return.
Let's go, Brandon!
South Platte
But yes, I'm obviously capable of generating some out of control posts. Every board needs an idiot.
hph6203
AG
Brunson actually played worse in the playoffs than the regular season once Luka came back, if that makes you feel better about him leaving.
awrollins
Jaden Hardy can hoop.
Zachary Klement
AG
Jaden > Jalen
J.P. 03
AG
I think I'm less frustrated about Dragic not signing here after reading this (assuming it's true). If he's playing 20 minutes a night on this team next season, the Mavs would be in trouble:

mavsfan4ever
AG
I'd be more than fine giving him 10-15 mins per game and 20 if he's playing well. The problem is that we have no secondary ball handler or creator after Luka and dinwiddie (if you want to count him).

And the Mavs are talking about dinwiddie starting. So who is going to run the second unit? They are also talking about McGee starting over Wood, so we will have Wood in the second unit, but we will still need a ball handler running the show.

I'd prefer dragic over Frank. I like Frank but he's not a primary ball-handler guard. And Hardy doesn't appear to be close to ready based off summer league. He had a good first game but has really struggled after that.
Zachary Klement
AG
Bulls outright lied to him if they are telling him he is playing 20-25 MPG with the guards that they have.
fightinags2013
AG
Hardy has come back down to earth in the last few games.
Legal Custodian
AG
Anybody see these reported leaks for the new jersey for this season? Buddy texted it to me and not sure if anyone else has seen it.
Zachary Klement
AG
I'm a fan. I wish we would go with less green...almost use the same color scheme as the Cowboys.
zgolfz85
AG
big fan of the font on the royal blue jersey
Ol Jock 99
AG
Welcome to Peak Offseason.
HawthornAggie
AG
Navy blue looks clean as well
Spaceship
AG
That terrible mavs font on the dark blue Jersey needs to be retired yesterday.
Infection_Ag11
AG
J.P. 03 said:

I think I'm less frustrated about Dragic not signing here after reading this (assuming it's true). If he's playing 20 minutes a night on this team next season, the Mavs would be in trouble:

If he looks at the Bulls' backcourt and thinks he's playing 20 MPG he's nuts.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
M.C. Swag
AG
Almost as nuts as McGee starting every game for us lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.