Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gunfight at the Twin Peaks [Staff Warning on page 47]

326,199 Views | 1928 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rather be fishing
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
The AK was in a car. Unoccupied. Is that not legal in Texas as a Long Gun? Hmmm

My post on Varsity. Can someone answer my question?!
Guitarsoup
AG
As long as the AK47 was semi-auto, it was completely legal to have it locked up in the trunk of the vehicle.

Heck, you can openly carry a long rifle as long as you are not doing it in a 'manner calculated to cause alarm.'
Scruffy
AG
Could be cops playing to the media of finding a big scary gun so it must be bad.
confucius_ag
AG
Unless you are in a MC
SteveBott
AG
GS exactly. Long guns are legal. You can walk down the street with one and be legal. I'm starting to question WPD on its version of the events. See my AP post, it's starting to unravel a bit.!
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
GS exactly. Long guns are legal. You can walk down the street with one and be legal. I'm starting to question WPD on its version of the events. See my AP post, it's starting to unravel a bit.!
Agree with you completely. They have consistently revised their own story.

I can't wait for the ballistics reports on who killed who.
Post removed:
by user
txyaloo
AG
quote:
As long as the AK47 was semi-auto, it was completely legal to have it locked up in the trunk of the vehicle.

Heck, you can openly carry a long rifle as long as you are not doing it in a 'manner calculated to cause alarm.'
Also perfectly legal to have it sitting on your seat or in your back window in a gun rack fully loaded. No law in Texas requires it to be locked in the trunk or concealed in the car.
AgLA06
AG
I still haven't seen anything that would make me care who killed who. Even if the cops did the killing, unless they killed unarmed people (intentionally), it is irrelevant.
Post removed:
by user
BoerneGator
AG
There's little doubt in my mind that some innocents are locked up now, swept up in the confusion and doubt on the part of the police there. "Guilt by association", and it may take weeks to sort it all out. Hard to feel a lot of sympathy for them, but it set a disturbing precedent.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
this is absurd.

Go on. If members of groups on federal watch lists spill into a parking lot after shots are fired with weapons in hand are killed by police, the only thing absurd is you defending them.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
There's little doubt in my mind that some innocents are locked up now, swept up in the confusion and doubt on the part of the police there. "Guilt by association", and it may take weeks to sort it all out. Hard to feel a lot of sympathy for them, but it set a disturbing precedent.

Agree. However if the cops turned them loose to start WWIII, it could be just as disturbing. Seems like there is no right answer.
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
quote:
this is absurd.

Go on. If members of groups on federal watch lists spill into a parking lot after shots are fired with weapons in hand are killed by police, the only thing absurd is you defending them.

Even if they were "shot on sight", before they posed a threat to someone? That is the concern some have. This ain't the Wild West! I suspect there will be a lot of charges and counter charges forthcoming, including those of false imprisonment.
Post removed:
by user
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
this is absurd.

Even if they were "shot on sight", before they posed a threat to someone? That is the concern some have. This ain't the Wild West! I suspect there will be a lot of charges and counter charges forthcoming, including those of false imprisonment.

It Is amazing that some people don't get this. Being a "bad guy" is not justification for imprisonment or being shot by the police.
No, but wearing a leather vest is probable cause for both.
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
It Is amazing that some people don't get this. Being a "bad guy" is not justification for imprisonment or being shot by the police.
Not when you consider civics is not stressed, if even taught to many today. I'm afraid we have lost our way, and are no longer the cradle of Liberty we once were. Too many look to European nations etc for their inspiration.
txaggie02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
this is absurd.

Yup. Waco PD better find a way to charge a large majority of these guys with something other than this "organized crime" crap they have going on now. Otherwise, they are going to have a boat ton of counter suits. This whole ordeal is an enormous bucket of worms. Can't help but imagine that 80-90% of the firearms found on the scene are reported stolen. And unless there is video, there won't be a way to pin them on anybody.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
this is absurd.

Yup. Waco PD better find a way to charge a large majority of these guys with something other than this "organized crime" crap they have going on now. Otherwise, they are going to have a boat ton of counter suits. This whole ordeal is an enormous bucket of worms. Can't help but imagine that 80-90% of the firearms found on the scene are reported stolen. And unless there is video, there won't be a way to pin them on anybody.I
Even though it's a ridiculous waste of money, I suspect they check for prints on everything they recover. Since all "suspects" are in jail, their prints will now be on file.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
this is absurd.

This isn't some noble cause for human rights. Once shots are fired and they ran into the parking lot with weapons drawn, the police were justified.

Absolutely no different than if a shooting happened in the street that spilled into your driveway or yard. You're justified to protect yourself and family if you feel threatened.

You are arguing what you would like to see happen, not justification by the law. 200 plus armed bikers spilling into a large parking lot with nearby restaurants and businesses is a threat to all nearby. They contained the fight and protected those around the area from what was becoming a large running battle.

If it turns out they shot individuals without weapons, then the cops are in the wrong. However, they cannot allow a large group to continue to shoot it out regardless if they shot at cops or many more could have died.
Post removed:
by user
DannyDuberstein
AG
I call it a **** sandwich. If I'm a cop, I'm making the best call I can with the few seconds I have to judge.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I think some of you guys have officially lost your minds in the last two pages. The more i see about this the more I see a giant charlie foxtrot. Waco PD has 170 people in jail charged with a felony and being held on $1,000,000 bond. None of those people will be able to get out of jail anytime in the forseeable future. The more I see, the more I'm thinking there are a lot more than just Cossacks and Bandidos sitting in the clink. Waco PD has changed their official story so many times no one knows what to even consider believing. Couple that with gut check reactions by TP senior management to yank the franchise based on those initial comments, and now AP reports video showing the whole mess started in the parking lot! Looks like upwards of many of the "weapons" that were found were items that were perfectly legal to possess anywhere at any time. An AK in a car? Perfectly legal. How many of the knives were just various forms of pocket knives? To top it all off, they towed and impounded EVERY vehicle in the parking lot, including those of the employees!

Are there some criminals sitting in the clink right now? Undoubtedly. Are the vast majority of the people sitting in jail right now being wrongfully accused and wrongfully imprisoned? I think so. The job of law enforcement is to enforce the laws and arrest those whom they have evidence to have broken the law. They are not allowed to throw everyone in jail, charge them with a felony, and just let the courts figure it out.

The ACLU is going to have a field day with this one.

This is reminding me more and more about the Kmart parking lot fiasco Houston PD farked up back in the early 2000's.
Scruffy
AG
quote:
This is reminding me more and more about the Kmart parking lot fiasco Houston PD farked up back in the early 2000's.

I forgot about that; but yeah, this does look a lot like that.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The numbers and size and complexity of the event and crime scene make this a fairly unique situation. I don't have a problem with potentially overcharging some initially while they sort through what in the hell happened, and who exactly was running for cover vs. who is participating. They do need to be as expedient as possible in working through the evidence and charging appropriately. But for those that put themselves at the scene and are officially affiliated with those partaking in the violence (and partaking themselves), then in my book, they have probable cause to arrest you until they sort out exactly what you did or didn't do.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
this is absurd.

This isn't some noble cause for human rights. Once shots are fired and they ran into the parking lot with weapons drawn, the police were justified.

Absolutely no different than if a shooting happened in the street that spilled into your driveway or yard. You're justified to protect yourself and family if you feel threatened.

You are arguing what you would like to see happen, not justification by the law. 200 plus armed bikers spilling into a large parking lot with nearby restaurants and businesses is a threat to all nearby. They contained the fight and protected those around the area from what was becoming a large running battle.

If it turns out they shot individuals without weapons, then the cops are in the wrong. However, they cannot allow a large group to continue to shoot it out regardless if they shot at cops or many more could have died.
So anyone who was acting in self defense and got shot is just SOL? If you shoot the burglar in your backyard and the cops pull up, see your weapon drawn and kill you the cops did the right thing?

You frequent this board. It is a fairly common discussion that typically concludes that we will do what it takes to protect ourselves and our family, but that it is an inherent risk we take by doing so.
Matt Schwab
quote:
The numbers and size and complexity of the event and crime scene make this a fairly unique situation. I don't have a problem with potentially overcharging some initially while they sort through what in the hell happened, and who exactly was running for cover vs. who is participating. They do need to be as expedient as possible in working through the evidence and charging appropriately. But for those that put themselves at the scene and are officially affiliated with those partaking in the violence (and partaking themselves), then in my book, they have probable cause to arrest you until they sort out exactly what you did or didn't do.
Im sure you'd have a big problem with it if you were one of the bystanders sitting in jail right now with a $1 Million Bond slapped on your head.
Kenneth_2003
AG
^
|
|
Though at this point there's no evidence of the police being able to get their story straight either. Just a few days ago there were "thousands" of weapons seized, and the fight started in the restroom, spilled into the dining area, before police engaged when it spilled into the parking lot. Now it looks like the whole damn mess was in the parking lot. The police were there, before the bikers. So they should know better than anyone what in the heck exactly happened!

The AP's report on the video makes it seem that the only thing going on inside the place was people hauling butt to the inside for cover.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
I think some of you guys have officially lost your minds in the last two pages. The more i see about this the more I see a giant charlie foxtrot. Waco PD has 170 people in jail charged with a felony and being held on $1,000,000 bond. None of those people will be able to get out of jail anytime in the forseeable future. The more I see, the more I'm thinking there are a lot more than just Cossacks and Bandidos sitting in the clink. Waco PD has changed their official story so many times no one knows what to even consider believing. Couple that with gut check reactions by TP senior management to yank the franchise based on those initial comments, and now AP reports video showing the whole mess started in the parking lot! Looks like upwards of many of the "weapons" that were found were items that were perfectly legal to possess anywhere at any time. An AK in a car? Perfectly legal. How many of the knives were just various forms of pocket knives? To top it all off, they towed and impounded EVERY vehicle in the parking lot, including those of the employees!

Are there some criminals sitting in the clink right now? Undoubtedly. Are the vast majority of the people sitting in jail right now being wrongfully accused and wrongfully imprisoned? I think so. The job of law enforcement is to enforce the laws and arrest those whom they have evidence to have broken the law. They are not allowed to throw everyone in jail, charge them with a felony, and just let the courts figure it out.

The ACLU is going to have a field day with this one.

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

What was the Kmart fiasco?
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
this is absurd.

There are obvious, legitimate concerns resulting from the developing story. Your first two paragraphs are a combo of red herrings and strawmen that do not advance the discussion. And do you really believe all 200 were armed? You're missing the point that it's virtually certain some innocents were swept up out of an abundance of caution (understandable and excusable) but once the immediate threat was quelled, it was wrong to jail every person in attendance without probable cause, thereby creating an even bigger problem to administer!

It's simply an overreach the Constitution (BoR) is designed to prevent. If we don't demand it be respected, it won't be.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would have put up the bail and been out by now.

Honestly though, if I'm wearing the colors and have brothers (however loose) that were attacking other people in a mass of chaos, then yes, I'm a reasonable enough person to understand how I could be rounded up. Now I would be workign like hell to get myself cleared, but I can honestly say I'd wouldn't expect exoneration in 4 days of an incident as nuts as this one. .
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I edited before your reply to putting up the whole thing.
techno-ag
AG
Do you lose the 10 percent posted for bail? Would that be 100k gone?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.