Say goodbye Germany, then the rest of the EU

86,518 Views | 749 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Madman
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just when you think France is well positioned to get through the winter.

And if the big BASF refinery goes down, then all commercial trucking comes to a halt.
Fat Black Swan
AG
Oof
twk
AG
My understanding is that there are very few fixed rate mortgages in the UK.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Monywolf
twk said:

Yes, this is BS fear mongering.
AlaskanAg99
AG
https://m.dw.com/en/germans-using-too-much-gas-could-face-emergency-later-authorities-warn/a-63364481

"The Federal Network Agency warned that Germany could be faced with gas shortages this winter if consumption is not reduced by at least 20%. Instead, use jumped 10% last week, alarming experts"

Sounds like people aren't caring. They're in trouble.
nortex97
AG
The Green Dragon said:

Wonder how much silver a place on the French Coast will cost in 2024 after Europe's economic collapse.

Hubris is a mother ****er
It won't be worth much at all if it's over-run by islamic/african hordes. Charles Martell ain't walking across those beaches.
Faustus
twk said:

Around 74% of them are fixed rate. However many of those are 5 and 2 year notes which are coming due, so the effect will still be felt.

5/12/22
https://www.mpamag.com/uk/mortgage-industry/market-trends/uk-housing-crisis-whats-fuelling-the-issue/405688

Quote:

. . .
UK Finance said that about 74% of homeowner mortgages were currently on a fixed rate. However, there are reportedly 1.5 million fixed-rate mortgage deals which are due to expire this year, with another 1.5 million due to do so in 2023.
. . .
9/27/22
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/sep/27/uk-mortgage-deal-banks-building-societies-interest-rate-rises

Quote:

. . .
About a fifth of households are on a variable rate either a tracker mortgage, where the rate you pay is explicitly linked to the Bank base rate, or their lender's standard variable rate (SVR).
. . .

YouBet
AG
Faustus said:

twk said:

Around 74% of them are fixed rate. However many of those are 5 and 2 year notes which are coming due, so the effect will still be felt.

5/12/22
https://www.mpamag.com/uk/mortgage-industry/market-trends/uk-housing-crisis-whats-fuelling-the-issue/405688

Quote:

. . .
UK Finance said that about 74% of homeowner mortgages were currently on a fixed rate. However, there are reportedly 1.5 million fixed-rate mortgage deals which are due to expire this year, with another 1.5 million due to do so in 2023.
. . .
9/27/22
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/sep/27/uk-mortgage-deal-banks-building-societies-interest-rate-rises

Quote:

. . .
About a fifth of households are on a variable rate either a tracker mortgage, where the rate you pay is explicitly linked to the Bank base rate, or their lender's standard variable rate (SVR).
. . .

This is wild to me. I had no idea that's how they ran mortgages in the UK. It's all the more weird to me because people there don't move around like they do in the USA. You would think people who actually own a home would be pretty locked in on long-term mortgages, but I guess if the lenders haven't offered that type of product....
twk
AG
Thanks for the correction. I knew they didn't have 30 year fixed rate loans like we do, but I was thinking it was because they were variable rates rather than short term fixed loans with a balloon. Either way, they are much more vulnerable to rising interest rates than the typical American homeowner.
will25u
YouBet
AG
Seems to be going well.
twk
AG
will25u said:

Note: These shortages are due to strikes at refineries in France.
nortex97
AG
French protests to leave EU...
DallasAg 94
BAP Enthusiast
Que Te Gusta Mas said:

Oof

Holy hell no wonder why the rest of the world is in the gutter. I am increasingly convinced the US is the only country on the planet that actually tries to follow private property laws despite us having to pay property taxes where we essentially lease the land from the government.
YouBet
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

Que Te Gusta Mas said:

Oof

Holy hell no wonder why the rest of the world is in the gutter. I am increasingly convinced the US is the only country on the planet that actually tries to follow private property laws despite us having to pay property taxes where we essentially lease the land from the government.
Look at Australia. Goodness. No wonder they so easily succumbed to being oppressed slaves during COVID.
kingj3
AG
What's the source for this bar chart?
will25u
Ghost Mech

There are no more free markets in the west. Only crippling debt, intervention, deception, and money printing......... BRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Quote:

Funding Panic Imminent? Fed Quietly Sends $3.1 Billion To Switzerland Via Swap Line

BofA Chief Investment Strategist Michael Hartnett has a favorite markets phrase that may be the only one a trader in this day and age needs: "Markets stop panicking when central banks start panicking."
Well, in what may be the best news to shellshocked bulls after the worst September and worst Q3 in generations, in a harrowing year for markets, central banks are starting to panic. First it was the BOJ, then the BOE and now, it's Switzerland's turn.

Two weeks ago after the (first) panicked pivot by the BOE, when global markets were in freefall, we said that markets desperately needed some words of encouragement from the Fed, or failing that - and with the dollar soaring to new all time highs every day - the Fed had to make some pre-emptive announcement on USD Fx swap lines, if only to reassure global markets that amid this historic, US dollar short squeeze, at least someone can and will print as many as are needed to avoid systemic collapse.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/funding-panic-imminent-fed-quietly-sends-31-billion-switzerland-swap-line

Quote:

Bank Of England To Global Markets: 'You Have 3 Days To Sell All The Things'

Things were all holding together in an 'orderly' fashion however until BoE's Gov Andrew Bailey started speaking in Washington late in the day and went full "Leeroy Jenkins'...

After doubling-down on its pension fund bailout scheme, BoE's Bailey spoke in Washington this afternoon, initially warning that "market volatility went beyond bank stress tests" (which is scary), then reinforcing that there is a "serious risk to UK financial system stability," noting that the buying program is "temporary".

But the piece de resistance was his reminding the market that BoE will be out by the end of the week, adding a simple threat...
Quote:

"My message to the funds involved and all the firms is you've got three days left now," Bailey said at an event in Washington on Tuesday.

"You've got to get this done. The essence of financial stability, is that it (intervention) is temporary. It's not prolonged."

Or what Andy?
What does the BoE Governor expect global markets to do now? Knowing that this is a "serious risk to financial system stability" and more stressful than bank stress tests, what would you do with your investments?
Our tweet says it all...(Roughly translated: 'you have 3 days to sell everything')...

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/bank-england-global-markets-you-have-3-days-sell-all-things[url=https://gettr.com/share?&text=Nobody%20Has%20Traded%2010Y%20Japanese%20Govt%20Bonds%20For%203%20Days!&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.zerohedge.com%2Fmarkets%2Fnobody-has-traded-10y-japanese-govt-bonds-3-days][/url]

Quote:

Nobody Has Traded 10Y Japanese Govt Bonds For 3 Days
[url=https://gettr.com/share?&text=Nobody%20Has%20Traded%2010Y%20Japanese%20Govt%20Bonds%20For%203%20Days!&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.zerohedge.com%2Fmarkets%2Fnobody-has-traded-10y-japanese-govt-bonds-3-days][/url]
No trades (none!) were reported overnight in the benchmark 10Y Japanese Government Bond (JGB) for the third straight day.

Trading volumes in JGBs have dried up over the years as the BOJ scooped up sizable chunks of the debt to keep a cap on yields, now holding just shy of 50% of all JGBs.

Simply put, as one veteran JGB trader remarked privately to us, "there is no [cash] market anymore."

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/nobody-has-traded-10y-japanese-govt-bonds-3-days

No one wants the West's paper debts anymore. Central Banks are jumping into bond markets to desperately keep the Ponzi going for just a little longer.

Can you say - Global Systematic Credit Freeze?
nortex97
AG
Greta Thunberg, energy planning genius extraordinaire, advocates for Germany to keep using older nuke power plants.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

"If they're already running, I think it would be a mistake to switch them off and turn to coal," the national newspaper Die Welt reports the teenager as saying.
Wait a minute... am I reading this right? Does this sound like a good idea to anybody else? Do I actually agree with her?

Is this real life?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Whirligigs
All we need to do is print more fiat to create more energy.
will25u
Sarge 91
AG
agent-maroon said:

Quote:

"If they're already running, I think it would be a mistake to switch them off and turn to coal," the national newspaper Die Welt reports the teenager as saying.
Wait a minute... am I reading this right? Does this sound like a good idea to anybody else? Do I actually agree with her?

Is this real life?
Broken clock is right twice a day.
Ghost Mech

Quote:

France joins Germany in accusing US of using Ukraine war to overcharge for gas

Senior officials of the EU's two biggest powers, France and Germany, have accused the US of overcharging for liquefied natural gas (LNG) and using the war in Ukraine and the energy crisis to turn a profit and make Europe dependent on its gas.

Before the war in Ukraine, Russia was Europe's biggest natural gas supplier, with a share of 55%, mainly due to lower prices compared to LNG deliveries. However, after the war broke out Europe began to introduce sanctions against Russia, reducing purchases from Gazprom, while the Russian state-owned energy giant responded by decreasing its gas deliveries to EU countries.

The EU was forced to start importing LNG, from the US as well as other countries, but the US' share has increased sharply, from 28% to 45%. On the other hand, deliveries from Russia have dropped by 75%.

https://balkangreenenergynews.com/france-joins-germany-in-accusing-us-of-using-ukraine-war-to-overcharge-for-gas/

Are the Europeans gettting screwed by Russia or by US?
Zobel
AG
...the Russians. LNG is market price. Bolded portion of the article is stupid.
twk
AG
Zobel said:

...the Russians. LNG is market price. Bolded portion of the article is stupid.
This. The Europeans are having to outbid Asia and other customers for LNG. The amount that can be exported is limited by the number of ships that can move this product. I read somewhere that one ship can carry about $250 million in LNG at current prices. Think about that.
Deputy Travis Junior
agent-maroon said:

Quote:

Is this real life?

It's extremely difficult for anybody, even Greta Thunberg, to be wrong about absolutely everything.

That's why Lot "two teas" Y is so impressive.
HumpitPuryear
AG
Yes
AlaskanAg99
AG
Europe is getting screwed because they made a bad bet.

The US has kept them safe for over 70 years. Now they're going to pay for their stupidity.
YouBet
AG
Killed your own energy production and then tied yourselves to a bad actor state to replace it and now you accuse us of overcharging after we continually save your ass?

Pound sand aholes.
Faustus
Right, we'll that didn't go where MP wanted it to.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Germany is not our friend.

Iraq war was a proxy war between Germany and the US.

Germany coerced Saddam to sell his oil to them in Euros - oil for food program. Saddams mistake is trusting Germany will back him. They didn't. He got hunged.

Germany deserves everything they get.
titan
S
AggieDruggist89 said:

Germany is not our friend.

Iraq war was a proxy war between Germany and the US.

Germany coerced Saddam to sell his oil to them in Euros - oil for food program. Saddams mistake is trusting Germany will back him. They didn't. He got hunged.

Germany deserves everything they get.
There was also some dishonest going on with Kuwait vs Iraq, that State Department botched and led Baghdad astray.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.