*** TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY ***

90,138 Views | 900 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by amg405
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Captain Winky said:

This show sucks. I'm out

It's bad.
ChoppinDs40
AG
TCTTS said:

This reminds me, seeing as season four is in 4K, I went back and checked last night to see if they'd upgraded season one, they have, and it looks absolutely incredible. The first three seasons had been in 1080p for years, and in fact now they're all in glorious 4K. Which is all the more reason to do a season one rewatch at the end of this season, as it'll almost be like seeing it again for the first time. Can't wait.

I discovered tonight that my Max subscription is no longer 4k…

We've had it free for years through At&T but then I googled that the legacy customers lost that perk sometime in December. Wtf.

Now I have to pay $20/mo for 4k+atmos? Sucks.

And I've got a LG OLED with big time 5.2.4 atmos system. Oh well. I'll prolly just cancel peacock and sack up.
MROD92
I'll finish it but goodness such a let down. It's like they just threw a bunch of things against the wall with a dark cold setting. I cannot think of anything that really moved the story forward much and the series is half way over. I honestly not invested in a single character, if any of them perished I would not be bothered. Very unfortunate
JCRiley09
AG
I still like it.
JCRiley09
AG
There was a scene where the two detectives are in the car and there is definitely light on the horizon. It seems to go unacknowledged. Not even mentioned in the break down videos.

Also not sure if y'all watch with subtitles, but both break down videos missed that the wheeler guy was whistling twist and shout.
JCRiley09
AG
This is news to me! I was about to go upgrade my plan, but honestly, my family probably watches HBO the least of our subscription services so I guess I'll settle for simple HD.
SockDePot
Ugh…really trying to like it…but this episode did nothing to advance the plot, characters, nothing.

That whole episode could have been 5 lines in episode 2.
TCTTS
AG
I didn't think this episode "sucked," but it was definitely a momentum killer. Especially after how great the last episode was. When you open with a pregame speech for a manhunt, that's setting up expectations for an actual, you know... manhunt. Instead, it was just more interviews and clue finding, which is fine, but that stuff should have been intercut with some actual manhunt action. Split up Danvers and Navarro, have one of them following leads around town and the other leading/aiding the manhunt. Give us some action, and let us feel like we're on Clarke's heals.

As for the ending, I don't know what to think of Lund going full Exorcist and speaking to Navarro from the beyond or whatever. I'm assuming she imagined that? But if not, the show might very well have just jumped the shark.

It was also kind of dumb at the end that Pete was like, "I cracked it," re: Annie's phone. Ha, what does that even mean? How on Earth does a non-hacker do that, seeing as a locked iPhone is a notoriously challenging piece of tech to "crack."

Overall, though, I'm still into it, and the mystery remains one of the most intriguing I've seen in a while. But yeah, I don't get what Lopez was thinking with this episode. Good thing is, there are still some interesting, much more intense plot points teased in the trailers that will hopefully rev things up again.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll be honest, this show is losing me a bit. It feels like we're just treading water. There wasn't even much in the way of character development this episode.

Also, why hasn't Danvers fired Pete's dad yet? He's been nothing but uncooperative since the show started.

Hope we start getting some answers soon. I'll keep going but really hope it picks up next episode.

I'm assuming because Danvers still needs the help/manpower, considering how sparse the Ennis force is and the caliber of cops she has to work with in general. It's a bit like Gordon still needing to work with whoever he's stuck with in Gotham PD, no matter how corrupt/inept. That said, I don't feel like Hank has crossed the line to warrant firing just yet. He came close this episode, and we can all see it coming to a head, but I'm fine with Danvers not having pulled that trigger just yet.
TCTTS
AG
JCRiley09 said:

There was a scene where the two detectives are in the car and there is definitely light on the horizon. It seems to go unacknowledged. Not even mentioned in the break down videos.

Also not sure if y'all watch with subtitles, but both break down videos missed that the wheeler guy was whistling twist and shout.

Are we sure there aren't, like, 15-minute periods once a day where sunlight barely peaks over the horizon? Is it really 100% pitch black every minute of the day? Either way, I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

As for Wheeler, I definitely caught the "Twist and Shout" whistling, but they also made it a point to say it was a murder/suicide but then showed us something different. Danvers said Wheeler was dead when they got there, yet he was clearly very much still alive, alluding to some kind of cover up on their part, which I thought was interesting.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
I'll stick with it since there are only three episodes remaining but overall it's been disappointing.
BowSowy
AG
Way, way too slow of a burn considering there are only 6 episodes. Either they just don't have enough story to even warrant 6 episodes, or they are going to try to pack too much into the last couple of episodes.

Either way, this season has been a huge letdown. Most of the episodes are like watching paint dry with a few interesting moments thrown in.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Didn't realize it's 6 episodes rather than 8, which actually annoys me that they we are spending SO much time away from the actual mystery (Danver's stepdaughter, Navarro's boytoy, Navarro's sister, baby cop's wife).

This episode wasn't terrible, but it was incredibly dull. The supernatural stuff are clearly all in Navarro's head, as she's not really responding to them, but I'm not sure I like how heavily this season is delving into the supernatural. I preferred its more subtle inclusion like in season 1 which also explained it away early so you recognized that it wasn't actually supernatural.

Nevertheless, I suspect we might get an explanation for the vision's with the contaminated water.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I'm into it. I get that this was a slower episode, but I imagine when the season is over, it will show how much heavy lifting it did without banging our heads over with the conclusions. Things we learned or character revelations:

-what happened to Navarro's mother
-still born fear/reality
-Navarro's connection to victim
-Danver's soft spot
-That guy in the nomad community who worked at the station knows something
-More fleshed out mining conflict
-Tensions between "hill billies" and natives with cops of varying sympathies stuck in middle
-Men did not die of cold
-Supernatural stuff is clearly in Navarro's head, but the communication with the dead in Ennius will likely be ambiguous
AJ02
AG
Nobody's really talking about Danver's lying about the murder suicide? Does that mean either she or Navarro killed him, and the other helped cover it up? My money is on Navarro killing him and Danvers covering it up.

And my closed captioning did say that he was whistling "Twist and Shout". It also said someone was vocalizing "twist and shout" when Navarro was out on the ice all by herself and saw someone take off running and she slipped and fell.
AgShaun00
AG
I know I am not into shows to the depths that many are on here, but the last episode, it couldn't keep my attention at all. I was bored. I had to rewind multiple times because I thought I missed something, but I really didn't. For only 6 episodes, it should not have too many tangents.
cr0wbar
AG
I agree this episode kind of lingered - someone mentioned it was treading water. The Navarro open was definitely a flashback because of the lighting - when she first went to arrest Anne. I said "Oh! This is def in the past, it's bright outside!" Then Navarro and Danvers are riding ~ middle of the episode and it's definitely bright outside. That *did* bother me, I almost thought we were back in another flashback.

It's easy for us to dunk on one episode as they're released weekly. And we are ALL comparing it to S1 which is gonna be unfair to any show, but here we are!

I thought it was pretty clear that Danvers was covering up Navarro probably icing Wheeler sitting in that chair whistling. Navarro has every motivation to end Wheeler right there - and Danvers likes to do things 'by the book' (I use that loosely). Danvers helps cover it up, Navarro partly blames Danvers hesitation for letting homegirl die in the first place.

I could not care any less about Navarro's 'babygirl' little sister; however the gutted ship was a pretty cool backdrop on the ice.
Max Power
AG
TCTTS said:

I didn't think this episode "sucked," but it was definitely a momentum killer. Especially after how great the last episode was. When you open with a pregame speech for a manhunt, that's setting up expectations for an actual, you know... manhunt. Instead, it was just more interviews and clue finding, which is fine, but that stuff should have been intercut with some actual manhunt action. Split up Danvers and Navarro, have one of them following leads around town and the other leading/aiding the manhunt. Give us some action, and let us feel like we're on Clarke's heals.

As for the ending, I don't know what to think of Lund going full Exorcist and speaking to Navarro from the beyond or whatever. I'm assuming she imagined that? But if not, the show might very well have just jumped the shark.

It was also kind of dumb at the end that Pete was like, "I cracked it," re: Annie's phone. Ha, what does that even mean? How on Earth does a non-hacker do that, seeing as a locked iPhone is a notoriously challenging piece of tech to "crack."

Overall, though, I'm still into it, and the mystery remains one of the most intriguing I've seen in a while. But yeah, I don't get what Lopez was thinking with this episode. Good thing is, there are still some interesting, much more intense plot points teased in the trailers that will hopefully rev things up again.
This was the first episode to me where the cracks are too big to ignore. I don't expect perfection, but last night I rolled my eyes several times. My biggest complaint at the moment was the show leaning into whether what everyone is seeing is reality, fiction, spiritual, etc. The scene with the orange was dumb. The scene at the hospital with the scientist was equally bad IMO. This season seems to be struggling to find the balance between thriller and horror. The scenes with Hank aren't great. Given the incompetence of so many of the police around here are we really supposed to think Danvers is any better? A lot of the times her statement about asking the right questions is falling flat because she's not exactly lighting the world on fire with her investigative abilities either. She seems almost more to be of the belief that things are going to fall into her lap. Bringing in the vet to say the guys didn't die outside, ok how about building such a profound statement with something more? Now we know the Wheeler case means Danvers or Navarro is covering for the other one killing a guy.

I'll keep watching but this episode really rubbed me the wrong way. It also gives me pause when considering what kind of resolution we can expect with this season. This episode was crying out for something to push the narrative forward and it really fell flat IMO. Especially when you think back season 1 when Marty and Rust had the showdown in the swamp, that moment linked them together forever and how that situation also kept propelling them forward with finding the kids.
ExpressAg11
AG
Did I miss something with the importance of the orange? It was shown multiple times with Navarro in this episode and then I noticed it's shown multiple times in the intro song as well.
AJ02
AG
When Navarro tossed the orange into the dark I joked with my husband about "yeah, now something is going to throw it right back at her, like a cheesy horror movie". And damned if that isn't exactly what happened.
elfurioso92
AG
For a six episode season this is really moving slowly, feels like they only have enough story for 4 episodes and are dragging things out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, the Exorcist moment felt like a bridge too far for me. If it's gonna go full supernatural, then whatever, but what it's doing now where where it's kind of doing it but not really committing to it, is just kind of annoying imo.

And then Navarro throwing the orange, and having it thrown back, and then her leaving the search immediately as she gets called on the radio, felt like the dumbest scene to me. Sorry, but if that actually happened, you don't leave that area until you find whoever threw the orange. She just leaves?

I'm gonna be annoyed if it ends up being mass delusions / visions due to something in the water.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The closest comparison to this show than I can think of is Mare of Easttown, and that show only got better each episode. So far, this is kind of going in the opposite direction.

I don't think this show will end up being anywhere near as good as that was, but I guess we'll see.
ChoppinDs40
AG
It's leading that way. Too much of an overarching "bogeyman scares the natives" and mental illness awareness going on.

That being said, there have been some hair raising moments similar to season 1.

It's not the best but I'm liking it.
Teddy Perkins
AG

91_Aggie
AG
Top video above has the guy asking what they tune was that the guy in the chair was whistling.
I had CC on it and it said whistling "Twist and Shout"

do these youtubers not watch with CC on??
El Gallo Blanco
Still time for this show to improve, but right now it's starting to stoop to the level of Season 2. Still entertaining enough to keep me...and better than a lot of stuff on TV...but not even in the same universe as Season 1, and a significant step down from Season 3. Hoping this show turns the corner and surprises me.

I'm still enjoying it, just had high hopes I guess and a bit let down. Hope it doesn't lose me altogether.
El Gallo Blanco
C@LAg said:

Seven Costanza said:

Gap said:

2 of 6 episodes down and this series has been a let down for me. I want to like it and have committed to watching it, but it has been a disappointment so far. In fact, so far, I put it at the bottom of the entire series including season 2 - ranking 1, 3, 2, 4.

The setting is cool. But I don't think the actors have been very good including Foster or maybe it is the dialogue they have been given. But basically, dull acting with little chemistry. And they haven't given me enough on the mystery to be deeply involved for the story to overcome the acting.
That's basically how I feel, too. They've done a good job of making the setting feel very cold, dark, and depressing, but that's about the extent of my compliments. The acting and dialogue have been bad. I'm not sure why, but the scene with the geologist talking to Foster felt Gran Torino-level bad acting. This week's episode felt like it was two hours.

Some of the dialogue cracks me up:

"What does the circle thing mean?"

*looks in another direction* "It's old. Older than Ennis. Probably older than the ice."

I wanted to cop to say "So just to be clear, you don't know what it is or what it means?"

"No, I was just being dramatic. But it's probably bad."
agreed with both takes. I will finish watching it, but I am not enjoying it at all.

LOL I will never understand that...why would you do that? Not enjoying AT ALL? Not more than watching grass grow?
El Gallo Blanco
BowSowy said:

Way, way too slow of a burn considering there are only 6 episodes. Either they just don't have enough story to even warrant 6 episodes, or they are going to try to pack too much into the last couple of episodes.

Either way, this season has been a huge letdown. Most of the episodes are like watching paint dry with a few interesting moments thrown in.
Oh geez, I was assuming there were 8 or so. Yeah, next episode has got to be pivotal.
Claude!
Remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six *****s," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game."
C@LAg
El Gallo Blanco said:

C@LAg said:

agreed with both takes. I will finish watching it, but I am not enjoying it at all.

LOL I will never understand that...why would you do that? Not enjoying AT ALL? Not more than watching grass grow?
we are in a slow TV season right now. practically no alternatives airing anywhere.

consider it a variation of TCTTS hate-watching Legacy of Monsters to its end. Same concept.

not that hard to understand.

highpriorityag
This season is so uninteresting it's sad
ttaggie
AG
Whats sad is we already know whats going to happen. There is nothing supernatural. Its bad water making people go crazy. The crazy cult is funding the stupid science research place, and they hit some bad gas or something making them go even crazier. And for some "im not the same person as I was in silence of the lambs" reason, Jodi Foster is sleeping around with everyone. People comparing this to season one are out of the damn minds. Maybe the back half will shock me...but Im not holding my breath.
El Gallo Blanco
C@LAg said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

C@LAg said:

we are in a slow TV season right now. practically no alternatives airing anywhere.

consider it a variation of TCTTS hate-watching Legacy of Monsters to its end. Same concept.

not that hard to understand.
Come on, just admit you are kiiind of enjoying it, to some degree.
Mr President Elect
AG
Boring episode, but no intentions of stopping. Based on the reviews of the season posted earlier, I imagine they tie this thing together in a satisfying way. I really have no idea how at this point though, with the supernatural elements or leaning into the "oh, it's just swamp gas" reveal, both seem quite the letdown. Maybe the cave will add some intriguing new elements to the case.

It's annoying that their track-record with this show is so sporadic. I have my hopes, but definitely a letdown of an episode. After the first couple of episodes of S1, I didn't think it was going to turn into something great like it did either though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.