*** TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY ***

90,144 Views | 900 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by amg405
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr President Elect said:

AgShaun00 said:

There better be a point of the Russian bride besides he is an obvious idiot
Probably being catfished by Devers. Not sure that adds much to the plot though.
Who is Devers? Do you mean Danvers? And if you mean Danvers, which one, mother or daughter? I don't really see either of them doing it.

I think it's a legit scam where he's being duped out of money. His son even asks him "Dad, you didn't send money already to her, did you?" He dodges the question which means, "Yes son, I'm a complete dumbass."
Mr President Elect
AG
Sorry, meant Danvers. I say that b/c of her phone going off earlier in the season and saying it was Tinder but from Fairbanks as she doesn't F where she eats. Umm, she F's everyone in town. It went off another time and it was fantasy football and they asked if it was Tinder… kinda insinuating her phones going off a lot.

But, yeah the money angle would be a bit crappy of her.
Mr President Elect
AG
SoTXAg09 said:

Did they give mileage for Ennis? Or just the guy hunting the caribou?

When the guy is hunting they give the mileage and the last day of sunset info (doesn't line up). Then when the supply guy is driving up to the lab, they say the third night or something like that. So, even if the caribou hunter was far away from the lab, the numbers/ geo still don't add up.

Being a bit nit-picky for a fictional town, I suppose, but seems a bit sloppy to have an interesting element but totally mess up all the fine details of it.
Prosperdick
AG
Mr President Elect said:

Sorry, meant Danvers. I say that b/c of her phone going off earlier in the season and saying it was Tinder but from Fairbanks as she doesn't F where she eats. Umm, she F's everyone in town. It went off another time and it was fantasy football and they asked if it was Tinder… kinda insinuating her phones going off a lot.

I think he just ends up blowing his brains out when it finally dawns on him that he's been duped. With only 2 episodes left I can't see it being tied into anything else at this point but who knows.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Pikka?
BowSowy
AG
Mr President Elect said:

That would be a dumb sideplot to add when it brings nothing of value to the story.
BowSowy
AG
Willow
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Yeah… but the guy is a dick. Would be sort of funny if she were getting compensated for his spitefulness. Even better if he finds out and they have a confrontation over it.
El Gallo Blanco
I can't believe this woman doesn't just automatically make cinematic gold that resonates with normal people and which we can all relate to. Shocking that such a person would make calloused cardboard personality characters that are damn near impossible to sympathize with or root for. Hope producers learned a lesson here.

I am still interested enough to stick it out to see what happens, but everyone I know IRL who has watched this thinks it is garbage...even if most are still watching because they feel pot committed by now.

After re-watching "Wind River" the other night...would have been awesome to see Taylor Sheridan involved in something like this, although I know he has his hands full.
tamuags08
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

After re-watching "Wind River" the other night
Man the shootout scene in that movie is one of the best I've ever seen.
FL_Ag1998
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

I can't believe this woman doesn't just automatically make cinematic gold that resonates with normal people and which we can all relate to. Shocking that such a person would make calloused cardboard personality characters that are damn near impossible to sympathize with or root for. Hope producers learned a lesson here.

I am still interested enough to stick it out to see what happens, but everyone I know IRL who has watched this thinks it is garbage...even if most are still watching because they feel pot committed by now.

After re-watching "Wind River" the other night...would have been awesome to see Taylor Sheridan involved in something like this, although I know he has his hands full.

Movie Taylor Sheridan = gold

TV Taylor Sheridan = ehhhhhh. Yellowstone started off campy and went so far beyond that I've developed some doubts about his capabilities. Maybe he's gotten greedy and just spread himself too thin.
TCTTS
AG
This.

Sheridan started out hot - Sicario is one of my favorite movies of the last ten years, not to mention the greatness that is Hell or High Water - but his success turned him into a pompous control freak in television, where he's become hell bent on trying to write/produce multiple seasons of shows himself, sometimes more than one season at a time, and it's all suffered as a result.

Lopez has her flaws, sure, but Sheridan would have screwed this up in some other way, never mind that he lacks the subtlety or nuance to tackle something like this at the levels required.
Bunk Moreland
control freak Sheridan, even with all his other projects interfering with his time, would have done a better job than Lopez imo.
Murder Hornet
AG
A bit off topic but my wife and I started the latest season of Fargo last night. Got about 5 episodes in and it is sooooooo much better than this season of TD.

Interesting characters, a plot that actually moves along, and some potentially supernatural stuff going on as well. TD should have hired that director instead of goat lady
TCTTS
AG
Noah Hawley. Another Texas native, from Austin. He's overseen all five Fargo seasons, two seasons of Legion, and is currently showrunning a new Alien prequel series set on Earth. All for FX. He's their go-to guy, and it'd take a lot for HBO to ever steal him away.
El Gallo Blanco
TCTTS said:

This.

Sheridan started out hot - Sicario is one of my favorite movies of the last ten years, not to mention the greatness that is Hell or High Water - but his success turned him into a pompous control freak in television, where he's become hell bent on trying to write/produce multiple seasons of shows himself, sometimes more than one season at a time, and it's all suffered as a result.

Lopez has her flaws, sure, but Sheridan would have screwed this up in some other way, never mind that he lacks the subtly or nuance to tackle something like this at the levels required.
Sicario is one of my fav movies. Same with Hell or High Water. I can watch either numerous times a year. Wind River is great imo, but too dark to watch on a routine basis...but if he could make that, I don't see why he couldn't pull this one off? Most people seem to think 1883 (even with annoying lead accent) and 1923 were gripping and well made as well. And I agree.

I personally don't care how he is viewed or if he is a control freak....some of the best musicians/actors/artists in general have been control freaks and highly possessive of their work. But just curious, which shows have suffered as a result in your opinion? if 1883 and 1923, I would have to say I strongly disagree.

He definitely is not a "Hollywood type" though and I could see many "Hollywood types" having a distasteful view of a guy like him...unapologetically Texan, high-testosterone type, libertarian leaning, who is not a fan of the modern woke/cancel culture/walking on eggshells stuff. He would certainly stick out like a sore thumb at any awards ceremony or gathering of Hollywood elitists.
El Gallo Blanco
FL_Ag1998 said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

TV Taylor Sheridan = ehhhhhh. Yellowstone started off campy and went so far beyond that I've developed some doubts about his capabilities. Maybe he's gotten greedy and just spread himself too thin.
I gave Yellowstone like 1.5 eps and I just didn't like anyone in the show. I loved 1883 and 1923 though. Curious to see if you thought those were bad? I thought they were both phenomenal. Tulsa King looks like kind of a cheesy, check your mind at the front door, type of show, but I know quite a few people who love it anyways.
TCTTS
AG
Personally, I don't like any of his TV stuff. I've given every one of his shows a shot, and they're just not my thing. They all feel like glorified CBS broadcast dramas to me, except with a PG-13 rating. The quality and writing just isn't on par with a lot of the cable/streaming stuff I watch. I like the subject matter just fine, it's the brand of filmmaking I'm not a huge fan of.
El Gallo Blanco
TCTTS said:

Personally, I don't like any of his TV stuff. I've given every one of his shows a shot, and they're just not my thing. They all feel like glorified CBS broadcast procedurals to me, except with a PG-13 rating. The quality and writing just isn't on par with a lot of the cable/streaming stuff I watch. I like the subject matter just fine, it's just the brand of filmmaking I'm not a huge fan of.
Fair enough.

I do hope he continues to make great films in the future though. But I could see a god-complex of sorts getting in the way of that, especially in this type of industry.

One thing I do respect about him, is the level of research he does for some of his projects though. Before listening to his podcast with Rogan, I had no idea how much research and how many interviews he did for Sicario alone. He says that movie was like the PG version of what actually goes on, based on accounts from people in multiple agencies and orgs with boots on the ground here and in Mexico. He could kick around all sorts of crime and drug stats off the top of his head. He's a dedicated dude who grinds his ass off, that's for sure.
fig96
AG
Murder Hornet said:

A bit off topic but my wife and I started the latest season of Fargo last night. Got about 5 episodes in and it is sooooooo much better than this season of TD.

Interesting characters, a plot that actually moves along, and some potentially supernatural stuff going on as well. TD should have hired that director instead of goat lady
Really enjoyed this season.

I love how Fargo can go from totally mundane to completely off the rails in like 60 seconds. Also some just juicy, fun characters.
FL_Ag1998
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

I gave Yellowstone like 1.5 eps and I just didn't like anyone in the show. I loved 1883 and 1923 though. Curious to see if you thought those were bad? I thought they were both phenomenal. Tulsa King looks like kind of a cheesy, check your mind at the front door, type of show, but I know quite a few people who love it anyways.

1883 - trying to remember how I felt about it...... Loved the premise and loved the start, just didn't like the progression of the plot and definitely didn't like the ending. Felt like he just didn't have enough actual plot to fill all of the episodes. McGraw and Hill were serviceable in their roles and did ok for singers who were trying to act. But better actors would have done a better job with the material. Sam Elliot is always gold and that role was tailor made for him. The main actress...ehhh, accent was horrible and at times her character was just annoying. The show was decent enough overall.

Haven't seen 1923 yet.

Tulsa King, haven't seen but yeah agree with your assessment of how it looks.

But Yellowstone just got so damn stupid. I mean, it rivals Daytime soaps for writing quality. I'm glad Costner said adios, because I like him as an actor. But TCTTS is right, Sheridan's quality as a tv showrunner (if that's the right term for him) falls waaaaay short of the perfection that is Sicario and Hell or High Water. I wonder if that's because he only wrote them. I mean, without a doubt Sicario isn't what it is if it wasn't directed by Villeneuve.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Finally watched the episode. Disappointed to say the least. I don't understand why they brought in the pedo circle, the blue king, the Tuttles, and all that only to completely disregard it for two episodes. It would have been so easy to draw a line to an Alaskan pedo group led by the Tuttles. Instead it's a half assed horror show with poor dialogue and no real plot. DEI hire strikes again.
TCTTS
AG
I was in 100% agreement until your ridiculous quip at the end.

Multiple filmmakers pitched a potential season four, and Lopez's idea won out because she was already developing a detective story set in Alaska that would be relatively easy to pivot into a season of True Detective. Yes, she lacked showrunner experience, but HBO wasn't trying to fill some dumb quota. They simply took a chance on an up-and-coming filmmaker who already had a ready-made idea. The exact same thing they did with Pizzolatto on season one, when he hardly had a credit to his name.

Also, Chris Mundy, a white male writer who showran Ozark for Netflix, actually co-wrote this episode. Not to mention the multiple white HBO execs who approved each episode from top to bottom.

There's plenty of blame to go around for this season's woes, but DEI is the laziest one.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Last thing I'll mention as to not derail. Having multiple white males anywhere means jack squat today. Plenty of white males with crippling white guilt are in positions of power. If they chose her because she already had something in the works, why wasn't this more fleshed out? It's as if there was no oversight much less proof reading went on. The story was set up for a great return to Tuttle occult after episode 2 and someone with very little creative skill got hold of this script and turned into a poorly written story from every angle. Characters are bad, dialogue is some of the worst I've ever seen, plot is less than half baked, too much filler. Should have had one some sort of helping hand.
Prosperdick
AG
Just rewatched the last episode since my wife hadn't seen it yet (she was working, she's a nurse) and she brought up a good point: Navarro gets the absolute **** kicked out of her and should have had at least some broken ribs and other injuries. Yet there she is the next day (Christmas) without even really a limp and in the final scene she's negotiating ladders like it's nothing. She could have at least winced some but nope, I guess she's unbreakable like Bruce Willis.
TCTTS
AG
I'm not arguing that the show couldn't have been better, or that it didn't need more oversight. I've stated/agreed with both of those things multiple times in this thread. I'm arguing that it sucks for multiple reasons, none of which have to do with the color of Lopez's skin or something as stupid as "white guilt."
VP at Pierce and Pierce
TCTTS said:

I'm not arguing that the show couldn't have been better, or that it didn't need more oversight. I've stated/agreed with both of those things multiple times in this thread. I'm arguing that it sucks for multiple reasons, none of which have to do with the color of Lopez's skin or something as stupid as "white guilt."

Well it's either gross incompetence at the top by hiring someone not qualified for the job then not providing the necessary guidance and direction to make a watchable product within a franchise that is wobbling. Or it's exactly what I said in my previous post and these Peter principle fools are going to need shoulder surgery from patting themselves on the back.
TCTTS
AG
It's clear you have no idea how this stuff is made, because chances are taken on up-and-coming filmmakers ALL THE TIME. On all colors and genders. Even and especially in the blockbuster superhero world, where there's far more at stake. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a studio has great execs who can shepherd/save a project, sometimes they don't. It's all a crapshoot, and varies not just from studio to studio but project to project.

Also, as someone who pitches to these studios, I can attest first-hand that HBO isn't one of the ones actively looking to fill arbitrary diversity quotas. Amazon? Yes. Disney? Obviously. But not HBO, not in any official way.
Bunk Moreland
TCTTS said:

It's clear you have no idea how this stuff is made, because chances are taken on up-and-coming filmmakers ALL THE TIME. On all colors and genders. Even and especially in the blockbuster superhero world, where there's far more at stake. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a studio has great execs who can shepherd/save a project, sometimes they don't. It's all a crapshoot, and varies not just from studio to studio but project to project.

Also, as someone who pitches to these studios, I can attest first-hand that HBO isn't one of the ones actively looking to fill arbitrary diversity quotas. Amazon? Yes. Disney? Obviously. But not HBO, not in any official way.

The last 3-5 years of HBO have felt different to me on risk taking and story telling (not saying I agree with the opposing argument on this thread) but with their overall history I completely agree with you. If anything HBO was willing to take risks and tell stories other networks and entities avoided completely out of fear of backlash... For 3 decades. But it always felt true and important and never to check diversity boxes.

I feel like they're in a weird spot recently in that they don't know what they want to be. That said, I don't think (or I hope it wasn't) the choice of direction for this season was anything other than a good conscious decision to present a new season of a franchise they own. It's too bad it sucks so much.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Very interesting I really appreciate you sharing this background. I understand to a point a project not working out, it happens in every industry. What I don't understand is how this could moss so badly and so quickly. It is as if the entire Tuttle occult, Travis Chole angle was thrown in to keep people hanging while the execs allowed the writer(s) do make some sort of coffee & cigarettes meets a PG Blum house in Alaska.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, the final season of Game of Thrones being met with such vitriol I think was the start, and probably threw them for a loop. Which also happened to coincide with the beginning of the streaming craze, and all that mess/confusion where HBO was being combined (but not really?) with "Max Originals," the turnover there, then the sale to Discovery, etc. There's just been so much upheaval the past few years I think it's been a challenge at times for them to find their footing/voice again.
Txgunrnnr
AG
TCTTS said:

Noah Hawley. Another Texas native, from Austin. He's overseen all five Fargo seasons, two seasons of Legion, and is currently showrunning a new Alien prequel series set on Earth. All for FX. He's their go-to guy, and it'd take a lot for HBO to ever steal him away.
Are you sure about that?
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, why? He wasn't born in Texas but he's lived in Austin for 15 years…

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/inside-fargo-creator-noah-hawley-austin-office-1235646944/
agdoc2001
AG
Because born in Texas is literally the definition of Texas native.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Txgunrnnr
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, why? He wasn't born in Texas but he's lived in Austin for 15 years…

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/inside-fargo-creator-noah-hawley-austin-office-1235646944/

What agdoc said. Don't call someone a Native Texan when they weren't born in Texas, especially when they were born in New York.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.