*** TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY ***

90,139 Views | 900 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by amg405
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will fully admit that I'm a bit of a pansy when it comes to jump scares. The last 10 mins or so of that episode were pretty intense by the standards of what I typically watch, and considering that I had it on right before bed, it stuck with me a couple of minutes, but nothing an episode of letterkenny couldn't fix.
SoTXAg09
AG
BowSowy said:

Coming in hot and angry, relax dude.

Like TCTTS, I don't understand what it was about episode 4 that made you need a cool down. Was it the jump scare?

Mostly the suspense, but the jump scare didn't help. I fully expected Raymond to attack them. 30 minutes may have been a bit of an exaggeration…. It was about 11:30pm by the time we finished it, but I was ready to go to sleep halfway through an episode of Clone Wars.
agdoc2001
AG
MW03 said:

I will fully admit that I'm a bit of a pansy when it comes to jump scares. The last 10 mins or so of that episode were pretty intense by the standards of what I typically watch, and considering that I had it on right before bed, it stuck with me a couple of minutes, but nothing an episode of letterkenny couldn't fix.
You're 10-ply, bud.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MW03
AG
agdoc2001 said:

MW03 said:

You're 10-ply, bud.
no doubt
Bigfootisreal
So what is going on with the one-eyed polar bear? And if Danvers lost husband and son in accident, wtf would she drive drunk?
SoTXAg09
AG
Bigfootisreal said:

So what is going on with the one-eyed polar bear? And if Danvers lost husband and son in accident, wtf would she drive drunk?

1. I doubt we ever actually find out. 2. She's a terrible person
amg405
AG
Bigfootisreal said:

Something tells me that quite a few loose ends won't end up being explained on this show.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
The polar bear will be explained in the same way the smoke monster was explained on Lost.
Prosperdick
AG
SoTXAg09 said:

Bigfootisreal said:

1. I doubt we ever actually find out. 2. She's a terrible person
Yeah if it turns out she lost her husband and son to a collision by a drunk driver that would make her pretty dispicable. Also, it was heavily implied in episode 1 by how violent she was with the drunk driver that almost hit her and how she arrested her.
ChoppinDs40
AG
OK THAT WAS GOOD
The D
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

OK THAT WAS GOOD

This gives me hope. The first 15 minutes were an oil protest
Seven Costanza
AG
Bigfootisreal said:

When they catch the killer, he will undoubtedly say "it wasn't me! It was the one-eyed polar bear!"
JCRiley09
AG
The editing with the music makes me think the episode is ending like 5 times each episode
Teddy Perkins
AG
They've been teasing this ****ing cave for 4 episodes. Should've known it was going to be the finale when they finally get in that *****. Much better episode. Hope the finale delivers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
15 minutes was good. But at least we're getting somewhere for the finale.
Prosperdick
AG
I would have given anything if when the thing happened, the Russian mail order bride walked in and said "Where's Hank?"
beagle2009
AG
Damn! Wish we had more of this over the last few episodes. Despite all the handwringing this mofo actually might end up being pretty good. We shall see.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh, and the mail order bride plotline went absolutely nowhere.
AgShaun00
AG
Ok. Where has that been. Please be good Finale.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Forgot to mention we had another Blair sighting in the laundromat. She's up to something.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I mean, it showed how sad of a character he is and that he doesn't have much to live for, which is why he acted the way he did at the end of this episode.

Also, John Hawkes singing was perfect and haunting. He sings in Martha Marcie May Marlene and it's just the same. He should be in some sort of sad musical some day.
Teddy Perkins
AG
I did read that the song he sang was an original by him. Pretty impressive. Gave me Leonard Cohen vibes.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Fair warning: also includes some theorizing that could turn out to be spoilers.
Southlake
Eagle Eye Cherry…
KidDoc
AG
It took me a few tries and had to watch it during the day as it crawled so much through certain parts that it put me to sleep. Good ending though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SoTXAg09
AG
The D said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

OK THAT WAS GOOD

This gives me hope. The first 15 minutes were an oil protest

It's a mine!
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Teddy Perkins said:

Forgot to mention we had another Blair sighting in the laundromat. She's up to something.

And the pedo symbol being a "warning" for thin ice. Don't buy it. Some sort of Tuttle voodoo with the blue king is my guess.
hurleyag
AG
So they're just ignoring that Navarro saw a ghost and had the ear bleeds like the victims?
TCTTS
AG
- Hank (finally) revealed as a "double agent."

- The woman at Silver Sky puppeteering a coverup.

- Danvers, Navarro, and Pete having a tragic, game-changing secret between them.

... THESE are the kinds of great plot turns that should have happened earlier in the season.

- Us wondering but not knowing what Hank is up to for four episodes doesn't equal good drama. Hank revealed as a double agent earlier, and us THEN watching him try to manipulate things for an episode or two = good drama.

- Us wondering but not knowing what Silver Sky is up to for four episodes doesn't equal good drama. Silver Sky revealed as puppeteering a coverup earlier, and us THEN watching Danvers and Connelly hook up, us knowing Connelly is in on it, but Danvers not knowing = good drama.

Those two things should have happened in episode three, WHILE Danvers and Navarro were doing all their clue-hunting/family drama, which would have added so much needed tension to the proceedings.

Then kill Hank at the end of episode four, and give us two episodes for the "finale," since it's painfully obvious they're not going to be able to wrap everything up in just one more hour.

There was a really good, really interesting story here, but man, they screwed up the pacing and the order in which the information should have been doled out to the audience.
TCTTS
AG
hurleyag said:

So they're just ignoring that Navarro saw a ghost and had the ear bleeds like the victims?

There are so many weird ignores like this, and wild skips that constantly make me feel like I'm hallucinating, but not in a good way. Like when Danvers and Navarro first came upon the cave opening toward the beginning of the episode, only to discover it had been destroyed/covered up. Then, like a scene later, we're following a police convoy heading toward the mine protest, and Navarro is suddenly in full riot gear, in one of the vans in the convoy. I seriously had to rewind it because I thought I somehow missed a scene. But nope, never mind the fact that Danvers and Navarro were JUST on the hunt, in cave/Clarke mode track-down mode, here we are now with Navarro heading to a protest, with ZERO explanation/setup from when we last saw her. I swear, every episode has two or three instances like this, where they just ignore any kind of a coda to a previous thread or action, and suddenly we're doing something completely new and out of left field with a character we just saw somewhere else.
SoTXAg09
AG
hurleyag said:

Ignoring the ear bleeds was weird. As far as the ghost goes, I think it's more connected to her mental illness and in her head, so not much to delve into there. We saw her almost walk into the sea in the scene with Rose.
SoTXAg09
AG
TCTTS said:

hurleyag said:

There are so many weird ignores like this, and wild skips that constantly make me feel like I'm hallucinating, but not in a good way. Like when Danvers and Navarro first came upon the cave opening toward the beginning of the episode, only to discover it had been destroyed/covered up. Then, like a scene later, we're following a police convoy heading toward the mine protest, and Navarro is suddenly in full riot gear, in one of the vans in the convoy. I seriously had to rewind it because I thought I somehow missed a scene. But nope, never mind the fact that Danvers and Navarro were JUST on the hunt, in cave/Clarke mode track-down mode, here we are now with Navarro heading to a protest, with ZERO explanation/setup from when we last saw her. I swear, every episode has two or three instances like this, where they just ignore any kind of a coda to a previous thread or action, and suddenly we're doing something completely new and out of left field with a character we just saw somewhere else.

That was some game of thrones level pacing.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Honestly, the pacing here doesn't feel that different than other seasons.

Even season 1 had some "ok that's a dead end moment" . It's part of the detective story that these investigations aren't perfectly linear. 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

Also, like the others, albeit longer seasons, they turned on the afterburners with about 2-3 episodes left.

Hell, they had the shoot em up scene in season1 and it still wasn't even the kingpin scenario.
Mr President Elect
AG
TCTTS said:

hurleyag said:

I wonder if they are trying to play into the confusion of us never having any idea what time it is or how far away anything is. I am not really sure why they would want that, but it took me a couple of episodes to realize how little time was passing by between each scene and seems to be at least an element they are using in a weird way.
Prosperdick
AG
TCTTS said:

- Hank (finally) revealed as a "double agent."

- The woman at Silver Sky puppeteering a coverup.

- Danvers, Navarro, and Pete having a tragic, game-changing secret between them.

... THESE are the kinds of great plot turns that should have happened earlier in the season.

- Us wondering but not knowing what Hank is up to for four episodes doesn't equal good drama. Hank revealed as a double agent earlier, and us THEN watching him try to manipulate things for an episode or two = good drama.

- Us wondering but not knowing what Silver Sky is up to for four episodes doesn't equal good drama. Silver Sky revealed as puppeteering a coverup earlier, and us THEN watching Danvers and Connelly have hook up, us knowing Connelly is in on it, but Danvers not knowing = good drama.

Those two things should have happened in episode three, WHILE Danvers and Navarro were doing all their clue-hunting/family drama, which would have added so much needed tension to the proceedings.

Then kill Hank at the end of episode four, and give us two episodes for the "finale," since it's painfully obvious they're not going to be able to wrap everything up in just one more hour.

There was a really good, really interesting story here, but man, they screwed up the pacing and the order in which the information should have been doled out to the audience.
You MUST have characters you care about, the main way to do that is pulling back the curtain and showing the machinations at work. Keeping the audience in the dark (no pun intended) is usually not a good strategy unless the characters/actors are so compelling you want to watch them. Otherwise you run the risk of creating a bunch of unlikeable characters the audience has zero investment in their fates.

It makes me think of The Sopranos...there were a LOT of unlikeable characters on that show but they were interesting because Chase ensured we understood the motivations of each one of them, especially the secondary characters because many didn't possess the charisma and charm of Gandolfini. For instance, imagine not knowing Sal's (big p*ssy) motivations until the same episode of that fateful boat ride. It would have had a tenth of the impact.

Oh well, like you said, there was an interesting story here if Issa understood how to tell it effectively.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.