*** TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY ***

90,126 Views | 900 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by amg405
ExpressAg11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The best and worst thing to happen to this series was the success of season 1. It's one of the best seasons of television ever and put the show on the map, but future seasons were never going to match the quality. Season 4 doesn't stack up because it's just not very good so far, but it was always going to be compared unfavorably to season 1.
TCTTS
AG
AJ02 said:

Nobody's really talking about Danver's lying about the murder suicide? Does that mean either she or Navarro killed him, and the other helped cover it up? My money is on Navarro killing him and Danvers covering it up.

And my closed captioning did say that he was whistling "Twist and Shout". It also said someone was vocalizing "twist and shout" when Navarro was out on the ice all by herself and saw someone take off running and she slipped and fell.

I literally talked about it just five posts above yours.
LouisHerbertWong
AG
Captain Winky said:

This show sucks. I'm out

You know you're gonna watch the remaining episodes.
TCTTS
AG
91_Aggie said:

Top video above has the guy asking what they tune was that the guy in the chair was whistling.
I had CC on it and it said whistling "Twist and Shout"

do these youtubers not watch with CC on??

The way YouTubers are sometimes able to get their recap videos out so fast is because they often have access to the same screeners critics are given in advance. And I could be wrong, but I don't think the screeners have closed captioning.

I also don't know how many episodes HBO made available in advance. They rarely provide entire seasons upfront, but in the instance I'm betting critics/YouTubers have access to at least the first four.
TCTTS
AG
MW03
AG
Thes first two episodes were really solid for the most part. No. 3 took a step back. Not sure how some of yall are ready to the throw the towel in on the whole thing, though. Been hurt too many times by HBO, maybe.
TCTTS
AG
This.

The first two episodes were easily better than just about any two episodes from seasons two and three. Episode two, in particular, was one of the best episodes of television, period, I've seen in a while. Were the first two episodes in league with season one? Of course not. But like many here have already noted, nothing is (nor have I seen anyone comparing this season to season one in terms of quality, so I don't know what that poster was talking about earlier).

Anyway, yes, I totally agree that episode three was a dud, but the sudden, "this show sucks," ready-to-throw-in-the-towel responses have felt a bit premature/out of nowhere.
BassCowboy33
Just watched E3. Dang, that was good.

And based on how the ratings keep going up, I'm not alone.

BassCowboy33
TCTTS said:

JCRiley09 said:

There was a scene where the two detectives are in the car and there is definitely light on the horizon. It seems to go unacknowledged. Not even mentioned in the break down videos.

Also not sure if y'all watch with subtitles, but both break down videos missed that the wheeler guy was whistling twist and shout.

Are we sure there aren't, like, 15-minute periods once a day where sunlight barely peaks over the horizon? Is it really 100% pitch black every minute of the day? Either way, I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

As for Wheeler, I definitely caught the "Twist and Shout" whistling, but they also made it a point to say it was a murder/suicide but then showed us something different. Danvers said Wheeler was dead when they got there, yet he was clearly very much still alive, alluding to some kind of cover up on their part, which I thought was interesting.

Having worked above the Circle, it depends on the Lat. You can be above the circle and still have "daylight" in an astronomical sense, that time between sunset and civil twilight. It's usually about 30 minutes or so where some light peaks over. Just depends on where in Alaska you are.

In the grand scheme of continuity and mistakes, that's easily explainable.
evan_aggie
AG
I still don't get if something is thrown back at you or comes rolling....wouldn't you put your flashlight up and start running that direction to see what the heck it was?
TCTTS
AG
Awesome, good to know. Thanks for the intel.
BassCowboy33
evan_aggie said:

I still don't get if something is thrown back at you or comes rolling....wouldn't you put your flashlight up and start running that direction to see what the heck it was?

I'm not sure it actually happened. I'm wondering if she's starting to lose it, especially after the final scene. This episode seemed to plant the seed that whatever got her mother and her sister may be coming for her as well.
El Gallo Blanco
evan_aggie said:

I honestly don't think it happened. I think mental issues run in her family, but to a lesser degree with her than her mother and sister. if it happened, then there is a clear supernatural element. Whereas i think it will be more of a sci-fi element...i.e. the cellular stuff being researched is impacting people. The "twist and shout" thing is what i can't figure out. Is it some type of "trigger" of sorts? Cant wait for some explanations.

After giving it more thought, I am still very entertained by the show and think it is well made, but i haven't really cared much about any of the characters. Ep 3 actually did that area some service to me. Danvers seems to have been hardened and become jaded over time after losing her little boy...but we got to see how she still seems to have a genuine soft spot and high level of compassion for small children. She also seemed to show true compassion for the mother of the stillborn when she showed up, after her daughter called her out for not even knowing about it. Similarly, Navarro's reaction to witnessing the birth, near death, and resuscitation of that newborn showed some character and humanity...true joy, followed by pain/fear, then joy. They are now more than just their hardened exteriors to me and if they keep up with the character building, i may just have a vested interest in their well beings and even like them. Shows are always better when you're at least pulling for 1-2 characters or find them relatable in some way.
TCTTS
AG
Well said.
AJ02
AG
TCTTS said:

And nobody even acknowledged what you said, is my point.

Chill, dude. I'm not one of those dogging on you on every thread.
AJ02
AG
And what about the scene with the fight in the hospital. A) why were the hunters even there? And b) why were they fighting? Is this supposed to be another clue that the water is making people go crazy?
TCTTS
AG
AJ02 said:

TCTTS said:

And nobody even acknowledged what you said, is my point.

Chill, dude. I'm not one of those dogging on you on every thread.

Ha, wow. Notice the emoji I used. I was just giving you a hard time and clearly didn't take offense.
TCTTS
AG
AJ02 said:

And what about the scene with the fight in the hospital. A) why were the hunters even there? And b) why were they fighting? Is this supposed to be another clue that the water is making people go crazy?

I had absolutely no idea what that was about either. There were two or three things like that this episode where I was just like, "Wait, what's happening?"
YNWA_AG
AG
TCTTS said:

I didn't think this episode "sucked," but it was definitely a momentum killer. Especially after how great the last episode was. When you open with a pregame speech for a manhunt, that's setting up expectations for an actual, you know... manhunt. Instead, it was just more interviews and clue finding, which is fine, but that stuff should have been intercut with some actual manhunt action. Split up Danvers and Navarro, have one of them following leads around town and the other leading/aiding the manhunt. Give us some action, and let us feel like we're on Clarke's heals.

As for the ending, I don't know what to think of Lund going full Exorcist and speaking to Navarro from the beyond or whatever. I'm assuming she imagined that? But if not, the show might very well have just jumped the shark.

It was also kind of dumb at the end that Pete was like, "I cracked it," re: Annie's phone. Ha, what does that even mean? How on Earth does a non-hacker do that, seeing as a locked iPhone is a notoriously challenging piece of tech to "crack."

Overall, though, I'm still into it, and the mystery remains one of the most intriguing I've seen in a while. But yeah, I don't get what Lopez was thinking with this episode. Good thing is, there are still some interesting, much more intense plot points teased in the trailers that will hopefully rev things up again.

I thought they hinted that Peter knew a guy for the phone hacking. Danvers said "you're under 30. You have friends"
Seven Costanza
AG
When the orange was thrown back, the subtitles said "Help us". Were any of you able to hear that?
I'm really digging the setting. I'm intrigued on how realistic it is living in Alaska. The ice fishing scene and the nomads living in a camp north of the city. I wonder how far these locations are from the actual town. And why the hell would anyone live in a place like this lol
91_Aggie
AG
#1 said:

I'm really digging the setting. I'm intrigued on how realistic it is living in Alaska. The ice fishing scene and the nomads living in a camp north of the city. I wonder how far these locations are from the actual town. And why the hell would anyone live in a place like this lol

Since filmed in Finland probably not like Alaska
AnchorageAg
AG
One of the pastors from my church played the ex scientist turned Nomad in last night's episode. Weird to see him as the aggressive guy with a gun after hearing him preach many times.

I have only been to north slope and remote villages a few times, they are a totally different world from Anchorage. We are really enjoying how they are capturing it.

I'm hopeful the plot picks back up down the stretch.
KidDoc
AG
I disagree with the overall sentiment, I'm enjoying the series so far.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
evan_aggie
AG
AnchorageAg said:

One of the pastors from my church played the ex scientist turned Nomad in last night's episode. Weird to see him as the aggressive guy with a gun after hearing him preach many times.

I have only been to north slope and remote villages a few times, they are a totally different world from Anchorage. We are really enjoying how they are capturing it.

I'm hopeful the plot picks back up down the stretch.

My wife's paternal side grew up and lived in Nome Alaska for a long time. We went to visit and see what life was like. They had all of the modern amenities expected today, and a massive hospital to care for all of the remote villages. It was still a unique twist of a small town. $8 gas. $10 eggs. $20 12 pack of soda.

One of the hilarious similarities was with the town drunk. One day we are looking at a mileage marker sign and the next day it was mowed over.

BassCowboy33
El Gallo Blanco said:

evan_aggie said:

I honestly don't think it happened. I think mental issues run in her family, but to a lesser degree with her than her mother and sister. if it happened, then there is a clear supernatural element. Whereas i think it will be more of a sci-fi element...i.e. the cellular stuff being researched is impacting people. The "twist and shout" thing is what i can't figure out. Is it some type of "trigger" of sorts? Cant wait for some explanations.

After giving it more thought, I am still very entertained by the show and think it is well made, but i haven't really cared much about any of the characters. Ep 3 actually did that area some service to me. Danvers seems to have been hardened and become jaded over time after losing her little boy...but we got to see how she still seems to have a genuine soft spot and high level of compassion for small children. She also seemed to show true compassion for the mother of the stillborn when she showed up, after her daughter called her out for not even knowing about it. Similarly, Navarro's reaction to witnessing the birth, near death, and resuscitation of that newborn showed some character and humanity...true joy, followed by pain/fear, then joy. They are now more than just their hardened exteriors to me and if they keep up with the character building, i may just have a vested interest in their well beings and even like them. Shows are always better when you're at least pulling for 1-2 characters or find them relatable in some way.
Yeah, this was definitely a "character" episode that moves the characters forward more than the plot.
BassCowboy33
AJ02 said:

My guess is that it was just a garden-variety hospital/public fight that popped up. You can tell by Danvers' reaction that something similar had clearly happened before.
BassCowboy33
91_Aggie said:

#1 said:

Since filmed in Finland probably not like Alaska
When visibility is 100 feet, a lot of places can look like a lot of places.
Ag_07
AG
I think we're going to start seeing a shift in Danvers.

Her soft side was shown with the kid and the mac and cheese then when she went to bathroom and the nasty water came out of the faucet she seemed to be visibly disgusted.

Up until now she's been a hardnosed cop who is just doing her job but I'm guessing we see her really take an interest in solving the case outside of just doing her job. A lot like how Evie has clung on the Annie K case.

Also thro in the fact she was pretty on the mine side when scolded her step daughter. I think we'll see her become more and more sympathetic and even similar to both Evie and her step daughter as she digs into the mine more.
CoppellAg93
AG
TCTTS said:

This.

The first two episodes were easily better than just about any two episodes from seasons two and three. Episode two, in particular, was one of the best episodes of television, period, I've seen in a while. Were the first two episodes in league with season one? Of course not. But like many here have already noted, nothing is (nor have I seen anyone comparing this season to season one in terms of quality, so I don't know what that poster was talking about earlier).

Anyway, yes, I totally agree that episode three was a dud, but the sudden, "this show sucks," ready-to-throw-in-the-towel responses have felt a bit premature/out of nowhere.
My wife and I watched Ep 3 last night. I told her afterwards that I'm not sure I can watch anymore.

To me, one word describes the show so far - Depressing.

The Location - Depressing
The Main Characters - Depressing
The Townspeople - Depressing
Always Night - Depressing
The Victims - Disturbing (OK - that's a different word )

As someone said earlier, I just can't connect with any of the characters - they all seem so miserable all the time.

Am I kinda interested in finding out what happened to the victims - sure. Just not sure I can get through another episode.

Just my 2 cents.
Prosperdick
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

TCTTS said:

This.

My wife and I watched Ep 3 last night. I told her afterwards that I'm not sure I can watch anymore.

To me, one word describes the show so far - Depressing.

The Location - Depressing
The Main Characters - Depressing
The Townspeople - Depressing
Always Night - Depressing
The Victims - Disturbing (OK - that's a different word )

As someone said earlier, I just can't connect with any of the characters - they all seem so miserable all the time.

Am I kinda interested in finding out what happened to the victims - sure. Just not sure I can get through another episode.

Just my 2 cents.

If the characters were more interesting it would help a lot but as of now my only interest is in the case/what happened.

I don't care about the falling out between Danvers/Navarro or what caused it. I don't care how Danvers lost her son (I'm sure it was a drunk driver). I don't care about Navarro's relationship with SpongeBob toothbrush guy although he's probably the most interesting of all the characters so far and that says a lot. I also could care less about Prior and how he's getting catfished.

This seems to be a theme in a lot of movies lately too. We need better written characters that are interesting.
Captain Winky
The hell I am. I have gotten too old and grumpy to waste time on crappy TV. If we continue to watch crap, they will just keep making crap.

I wanted the Godzilla/Monarch show to be good but it was so damn bad I gave up after 3 or 4 episodes. I still kept up with the show on Reddit and here and every week my decision got better and better according to the comments I saw. I don't hate-watch things anymore and won't be wasting my time on this stupid show either.

I will continue to check in from time to time and I told my wife she can keep watching it without me. I'm not judging anyone for watching this or even liking it but it ain't for me.
Captain Winky
The FBI took a while to crack the San Bernardino shooters phone but some dude in bum f/ck nowhere Alaska cracks it in a few hours? I just don't have time for stupidity like this. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a few more episodes of Love On The Spectrum to watch.
Faustus
ttaggie said:

Whats sad is we already know whats going to happen. There is nothing supernatural. Its bad water making people go crazy. The crazy cult is funding the stupid science research place, and they hit some bad gas or something making them go even crazier. And for some "im not the same person as I was in silence of the lambs" reason, Jodi Foster is sleeping around with everyone. People comparing this to season one are out of the damn minds. Maybe the back half will shock me...but Im not holding my breath.
Prosperdick
AG
Captain Winky said:

The FBI took a while to crack the San Bernardino shooters phone but some dude in bum f/ck nowhere Alaska cracks it in a few hours? I just don't have time for stupidity like this. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a few more episodes of Love On The Spectrum to watch.
They explained it...he was under 30 years old...duh.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.