*** TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY ***

90,142 Views | 900 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by amg405
MASAXET
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

Ervin Burrell said:

Brandamne said:

It was good but of course it's woke. Worried it would be after the trailer.
How's it woke? Because there are brown people in it?
Yeah man, he must be a racist for thinking a lesbian cop beating up a man twice her size is mildly "woke"...get him!

Crazy how thirsty some of yall are to paint others as racist.
What lesbian cop who beat up a man twice her size are you talking about?
TCTTS
AG
I assume he's talking about Navarro, the *straight* cop whom we literally saw have sex with a man, who used a very simple leg maneuver to bring down another man who had been unconscious twenty seconds prior and was no where near "twice her size."

It could not be more fitting that in trying to defend obsessive anti-wokism, he ends up stereotyping the tough female cop as an over-powerful lesbian, when she's so clearly neither. It's almost as if these people see only a world they want to see, just so they have something to be angry about.
MASAXET
AG
TCTTS said:

I assume he's talking about Navarro, the *straight* cop whom we literally saw have sex with a man, who used a very simple leg maneuver to bring down another man who had been unconscious twenty seconds prior and was no where near "twice her size."

It could not be more fitting that in trying to defend obsessive anti-wokism, he ends up stereotyping the tough female cop as an over-powerful lesbian, when she's so clearly neither. It's almost as if these people see only a world they want to see, just so they have something to be angry about.
Nailed it
Southlake
BG Knocc Out said:

Ervin Burrell said:

Brandamne said:

How's it woke? Because there are brown people in it?
Yeah man, he must be a racist for thinking a lesbian cop beating up a man twice her size is mildly "woke"...get him!

Crazy how thirsty some of yall are to paint others as racist.
And, now somebody will complain that it was a White bear…
TCTTS
AG
Knowing what to expect, I just rewatched the first episode, and after having knocked out the recap videos, listened to a podcast, etc, it's such a better episode the second time around. I caught so much more, the characters felt richer, it flows better, and I absolutely love the mystery…

- The scientists disappeared "at least" two days ago.

- A day later the water for a section of the town went bad "three days" ago.

- Both events coincided exactly with the last sunset of the season.

- The town is supported by a mining company/operation.

- The scientists were drilling into the ice.

- The crab supply has been dwindling for years.

… most of which was covered in the recap videos, but seeing it all again in context, these things are 100% connected. As are the caribou, the scientists, and Rose all being led to destinations by some kind of migratory/polar/radio signals.

Overall, I'm loving where this is going and I can't wait for Sunday.
BG Knocc Out
First episode was great...my buddy who turned it off after 10 min hyped up how woke it was, and I fell for it. Yeah, I wish there wasn't unnecessary teenage lesbo stuff packed in, but Hollywood is obsessed with injecting that type of stuff and only going to ramp it up...great otherwise.

Cheek piercings are a bit silly and distracting but maybe they will grow on me.

This show has an eerie vibe that the previous two didn't.
Faustus
Looking forward to starting this one - although I'll echo the comments that said they'd be surprised if there is anything supernatural at play in the end.
BG Knocc Out

Got some gummies that I brought back from Cali...pairs well with this show...I was sucked in. I think this has a very strong chance of solidifying itself as solid #2 in the franchise (obviously nothing will ever top Season 1).
MASAXET
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

First episode was great...my buddy who turned it off after 10 min hyped up how woke it was, and I fell for it. Yeah, I wish there wasn't unnecessary teenage lesbo stuff packed in, but Hollywood is obsessed with injecting that type of stuff and only going to ramp it up...great otherwise.

So you made the dumb comment about it being "woke" without having watched the show? Sounds about right.
SgtBarbarossa
I'll have to give season 2 another chance... I wasn't a fan when I first watched it, but I'm sure I did have a bias set after how great season 1 was.
Max Power
AG
I really enjoyed episode 1, brought back a lot of the feelings from season 1. The setting of Alaska once it goes dark is really smart, it just makes everything feel more claustrophobic and ominous.

I know this isn't high-level analysis but feels like the killings are going to be associated with someone high up with the mining operation, or the town itself. Annie protesting makes that conclusion easy to draw. Also the scientists are researching climate change, easy to draw that conclusion as well.

One thing I looked up is Annie's middle name, Masu, is Japanese for less than, it's an insult so they're implying she, and I'm guessing the rest of the native population, are looked down upon by the white people. I hope I'm wrong on that, not because of the drawing of any political conclusions, because if it's that easy it's just lazy writing. If the entire town exists due to the mine it's also possible the locals would want to silence her because that's where all the town's resources come from.

A common theme of the first three seasons is the subjugation and abuse by the powerful upon the weak, people that are barely seen as existing. They go after people that aren't going to be missed, a person with the middle name meaning as much seems a little on the nose to me, but like I said I hope I'm just falling for misdirection. Maybe it's a giant conspiracy between the mine, the town, and the police force. Did they ever really explain why Hank would hold onto that file? The circumstances around Annie's death and the scientists are very different though.

PS if you're enjoying this I recommend watching The Head, also on MAX. Another murder mystery set in the arctic. Or the first season of Fortitude which I think is on Amazon, second season was a little off the rails.
ItsA&InotA&M
When the guy speaking Spanish was making a sandwich, the other person began to shake violently. When he stopped shaking, he turned and said "She's awake".
The scientists were not seen alive after that.

Who is "she"?
cr0wbar
AG
Right - none of us really know, that's why we're all watching!
Nagler
AG
I wish they would mention what time things are happening. I never know if it's the midnight or noon.
Teddy Perkins
AG
ItsA&InotA&M said:

When the guy speaking Spanish was making a sandwich, the other person began to shake violently. When he stopped shaking, he turned and said "She's awake".

Who is "she"?

Cthulhu

TCTTS
AG
My guess is that's kind of the point.
ExpressAg11
AG
My guess… CCH Pounder
Ervin Burrell
AG
MASAXET said:

BG Knocc Out said:

So you made the dumb comment about it being "woke" without having watched the show? Sounds about right.
Yeah, but he got to own some libtards (or at least try). #worthit.
boy09
AG
Brandamne said:

TCTTS
AG
I admit this was pretty bad...

Mr President Elect
AG
A couple of small observations:

When the delivery guy shows up to the lab there was someone or something else there.

Also as mentioned in one of the videos posted, the guy was definitely still recording on his phone when the guy said she is awake. Seems they would have already charged it and looked at it. I suppose it could take a few days.
BowSowy
AG
MASAXET said:

BG Knocc Out said:

You're talking to a guy who is scared to go to the Woodlands because he believes they have a downlow gay community that meets at the Trader Joes. I think he's closeted
TCTTS
El Gallo Blanco
BowSowy said:

MASAXET said:

BG Knocc Out said:

You're talking to a guy who is scared to go to the Woodlands because he believes they have a downlow gay community that meets at the Trader Joes. I think he's closeted
Oh come on, that's one of the greatest running jokes from the Houston board in quite some time (bc it's so over the top ridiculous).

Not saying he's not closeted.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Intriguing first episode. Way more of a supernatural horror vibe than I expected.

Most surprising thing about that episode was Navarro being straight.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ItsA&InotA&M said:

Who is "she"?

We also heard it when a hand reached out to Danvers in bed. And right before the polar bear shows up on the road.
BurnetAggie99
Second episode brings up some interesting things that tie to Season 1
TCTTS
AG
Travis Cohle!

I can't believe they actually went there.

(I'm only eight minutes in, will be back when it's over.)
Proc92
Tuttle, too.

Seems like one mangled survivor would be the primary focus right now.
BowSowy
AG
Yep, Tuttle name drop and then Travis Cohle. Tying into S1 and I can't wait to see where it goes
El Gallo Blanco
Damn I have spoiled myself with binge watching. Hate that I have to wait another week. Thought about waiting a few weeks to resume, but that thought only lasted about two seconds. This show could be great if they do it right.
TCTTS
AG
This is sooooo good.

Nothing will of course ever touch season one, but two episodes in and season four is already coming the closest.
TCTTS
AG
Interesting observation, but I don't mind it at all. Especially when Danvers' "That's not the right question" scene with Prior was so damn good, and then ended up leading to what made Navarro make the connection with the trailer in the end...

Agasaurus Tex
AG
The "that's not the right question" scene brought back memories of Lecter questioning Clarisse.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The most interesting part of this show is trying to figure out whether it's supernatural or not.

I liked that we saw why she hates Twist and Shout so much. But still a lot of unanswered questions about her past, both her family and with Navarro.

Frozen dude at the beginning was alive, right? I know she got the call about the surgery, but was a little confused that it was never mentioned again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.