*** TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY ***

90,125 Views | 900 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by amg405
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Check out The Watch, they do a pretty good breakdown.
TCTTS
AG
At the risk of sounding like Redstone, yeah, I've been listening to The Watch since they were the Hollywood Prospectus over a decade ago. I love Chris and Andy, and always look forward to their takes, but they don't really deep dive into the theories and what not like Joanna and Rob do.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I can't stand Joanna Robinson. Couldn't tell you why. Listened to her on too many podcasts I think and she just grated on me after a while.
TCTTS
AG
"You know what I mean?" - Joanna, nervously, 20 times per podcast

I hear you. While not outspoken in her liberal-ness, there's just something about the way she constantly walks on eggshells, re: anything even remotely controversial/woke, that rubs me the wrong way.

That said, she does seem like a genuinely nice person and I do appreciate her dedication/deep dives.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
She does say that way too much.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Speaking of the Watch, they picked up on a pretty good detail. When Danver's at Navarro's place, she asks if she still keeps the food in a certain cupboard.

Past sexual relationship?
Greeze06
AG
No talk about that wild ass Golden Eagle? So Clark and Annie had secret cult trailer and got matching spiral tattoos 3 days before she died?

Anything stick out in the trailer? What was up with the life size voodoo doll under the spiral on ceiling?
Gap
AG
2 of 6 episodes down and this series has been a let down for me. I want to like it and have committed to watching it, but it has been a disappointment so far. In fact, so far, I put it at the bottom of the entire series including season 2 - ranking 1, 3, 2, 4.

The setting is cool. But I don't think the actors have been very good including Foster or maybe it is the dialogue they have been given. But basically, dull acting with little chemistry. And they haven't given me enough on the mystery to be deeply involved for the story to overcome the acting.
evan_aggie
AG
That's my problem too.

Fosters screenplay/dialogue is just so hard to buy into. I don't think she'd ever be a real person, and it's been very shallow through two episodes.

The story might be fun, but the writing or casting is a miss.
unmade bed
I'll dogpile on these takes. I'm all in on the setting and the story. Going to keep watching to see how the mystery is solved but these main characters are not good. It's a bit of a struggle to watch. Takes me 2 or 3 nights to get through a show and I don't care about any of the characters, just want to see how the story ends.
Ag_07
AG
evan_aggie said:

Fosters screenplay/dialogue is just so hard to buy into. I don't think she'd ever be a real person, and it's been very shallow through two episodes.

Hmm...Interesting

I think the point is to make her shallow. She's a shallow person. And that's not too far fetched for a cop especially one who lost her family and is now living in a desolate town with no sunlight.

Someone posted about this earlier but I don't think it's too unbelievable to have the female cop have a shallow, hardened, cold, callous personality.
Max Power
AG
evan_aggie said:

I had been thinking about this more and based on some of the previous theories..

It actually starts to add up that the micro-organisms are causing people to act strange and/or seem to kill themselves. The bleeding from the ears, and scratch of the eyes.

Even the death of Annie may be explained by: she got infected, went insane / psycho and she was stabbed 60 times out of fear and kicked after she was dead to MAKE SURE she was dead.

There's a picture in Clark's notebook that I've seen mentioned looks like eyes with concentric circles around them. I've also seen it theorized that it represents the earth's magnetic field. I was wondering if it's actually a picture of mitosis, a cell dividing. "She's awake" could be about the microorganism staring to multiply.
fig96
AG
Catching up on all this, I've learned a ton reading this thread and had missed the whole Travis/Rust thing which is crazy

Only note to add is that (as has been mentioned) I definitely feel like there's some more backstory to Hank/Peter that's going to tie in. The Russian bride thing is interesting too, really curious if that's going to provide more clues or is just an illustration of Hank's character flaws.
El Gallo Blanco
TCTTS said:

"You know what I mean?" - Joanna, nervously, 20 times per podcast

I hear you. While not outwardly spoken in her liberal-ness, there's just something about the way she constantly walks on eggshells, re: anything even remotely controversial/woke, that rubs me the wrong way.

That said, she does seem like a genuinely nice person and I do appreciate her dedication/deep dives.
Shocker

El Gallo Blanco
Ag_07 said:

evan_aggie said:

Hmm...Interesting

I think the point is to make her shallow. She's a shallow person. And that's not too far fetched for a cop especially one who lost her family and is now living in a desolate town with no sunlight.

Someone posted about this earlier but I don't think it's too unbelievable to have the female cop have a shallow, hardened, cold, callous personality.
I honestly have been kind of let down with her acting personally, but still enjoying this show and excited to see where it goes and hoping it doesn't let me down.

But I would also echo that I really don't particularly like or root for anyone in this show...yet. Even in episodes 1 and 2 of Season 1, i was drawn to both of the main characters and liked them, as flawed as they were...and the acting (and writing) was obviously phenomenal.

I just don't really like the two main characters in this one...at least not yet. And the acting is a big step down. And it's not a "female" thing for me. This is one of my fav TV show cop characters of all time:

VP at Pierce and Pierce
fig96 said:

Catching up on all this, I've learned a ton reading this thread and had missed the whole Travis/Rust thing which is crazy

Only note to add is that (as has been mentioned) I definitely feel like there's some more backstory to Hank/Peter that's going to tie in. The Russian bride thing is interesting too, really curious if that's going to provide more clues or is just an illustration of Hank's character flaws.
Did Hank send a pic of his son when asked to send more photos by the "Russian" on the other end of the text?
fig96
AG
At least one, he snapped a pic of the photo of the two of them together when Peter was a kid.
Seven Costanza
AG
Gap said:

2 of 6 episodes down and this series has been a let down for me. I want to like it and have committed to watching it, but it has been a disappointment so far. In fact, so far, I put it at the bottom of the entire series including season 2 - ranking 1, 3, 2, 4.

The setting is cool. But I don't think the actors have been very good including Foster or maybe it is the dialogue they have been given. But basically, dull acting with little chemistry. And they haven't given me enough on the mystery to be deeply involved for the story to overcome the acting.
That's basically how I feel, too. They've done a good job of making the setting feel very cold, dark, and depressing, but that's about the extent of my compliments. The acting and dialogue have been bad. I'm not sure why, but the scene with the geologist talking to Foster felt Gran Torino-level bad acting. This week's episode felt like it was two hours.

Some of the dialogue cracks me up:

"What does the circle thing mean?"

*looks in another direction* "It's old. Older than Ennis. Probably older than the ice."

I wanted to cop to say "So just to be clear, you don't know what it is or what it means?"

"No, I was just being dramatic. But it's probably bad."
TCTTS
AG
This is the exact kind of sh*t Rust used to say, and we loved him for it. Hell, he probably got a lot of that from his dad, which rubbed off on Rose too.

IMO, these bad acting/dialogue takes feel a little too nitpicky - and I couldn't disagree more - but to each their own.
Seven Costanza
AG
I suppose part of being a good actor is tricking the audience into not realizing that what they are saying is stupid.
Bunk Moreland
I'm still invested and overall I'm net positive after the first 2 eps but I too have found the acting/dialog lazy at times. I definitely don't get all the Twitter entertainment gossipers circle jerking over episode 2. Plenty of time left for this season to be good or absolutely suck. Hopefully it's good.
Prosperdick
AG
Another Silence of the Lambs vibe I got was when Navarro found the old trailer and what was inside reminded me a lot of Clarice getting into the old storage unit and how creepy both scenes were.
FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

This is the exact kind of sh*t Rust used to say, and we loved him for it. Hell, he probably got a lot of that from his dad, which rubbed off on Rose too.

IMO, these bad acting/dialogue takes feel a little too nitpicky - and I couldn't disagree more - but to each their own.

Unfortunately, after Season 1 this show was always destined to never be able to live up to the precedent most people set in their heads. No matter how good following seasons were, some viewers were always going to insist that every season match the first, which is impossible because the first season has no bar to meet. No expectations. No feelings of "been here, done this". So the first season will always be memorable in a way no following season could be and some viewers will always let that skew their opinion.

I think the nitpicky overanalyzing of this season after only two episodes is simply a reflection of that attitude. No season will ever completely equal season 1 nor will any partnership ever equal Marty and Rust, but I really like this season so far.
mslags97
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm with you. I'm loving this so far. And totally bought in. It's been a fun ride, and I actually think the acting has been really good….
mslags97
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

TCTTS said:

Unfortunately, after Season 1 this show was always destined to never be able to live up to the precedent most people set in their heads. No matter how good following seasons were, some viewers were always going to insist that every season match the first, which is impossible because the first season has no bar to meet. No expectations. No feelings of "been here, done this". So the first season will always be memorable in a way no following season could be and some viewers will always let that skew their opinion.

I think the nitpicky overanalyzing of this season after only two episodes is simply a reflection of that attitude. No season will ever completely equal season 1 nor will any partnership ever equal Marty and Rust, but I really like this season so far.

Well said.

Finished season 1 rewatch just a couple of weeks ago in anticipation, and it was just as fun or maybe even better the second full time around. Brilliant 8 episodes. With episode 4 being maybe my favorite hour of TV ever. Incredible…. And I don't think there is any way another season will match, but I am loving this season.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
I've held season 1 in sky high regard but never did a rewatch. Maybe I will now.
TCTTS
AG
This reminds me, seeing as season four is in 4K, I went back and checked last night to see if they'd upgraded season one, they have, and it looks absolutely incredible. The first three seasons had been in 1080p for years, and in fact now they're all in glorious 4K. Which is all the more reason to do a season one rewatch at the end of this season, as it'll almost be like seeing it again for the first time. Can't wait.
Redstone
AG
I've listened to Ringer sports, business (tech), and entertainment podcasts since their origins at Grantland.

Current favorite content creators are House, Bryan Curtis (solo only, Shoemaker is awful), and Chris Ryan. I would be open to adding Fennessey to the list except he blocked me on Twitter.

Edit: I'd limited Russillo to NBA analysis and select NFL analyst guests (ie Dilfer, McShay) and Simmons likewise (dad Boston check-in, Zach Lowe, Derek Thompson, ect)
evan_aggie
KidDoc
AG
We did a rewatch of Season 1 once we started to see all the call backs in S4. It is an outstanding second watch.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ExpressAg11
AG
I also did this and watched season 2 as well. Season 2 still doesn't hold a candle to the first season but wasn't as bad as I remembered. I could rewatch season 1 fifty times and not get tired of it.
Bunk Moreland
KidDoc said:

We did a rewatch of Season 1 once we started to see all the call backs in S4. It is an outstanding second watch.

Tried the same but couldn't get past the middle of episode 2
Captain Winky
This show sucks. I'm out
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll be honest, this show is losing me a bit. It feels like we're just treading water. There wasn't even much in the way of character development this episode.

Also, why hasn't Danvers fired Pete's dad yet? He's been nothing but uncooperative since the show started.

Hope we start getting some answers soon. I'll keep going but really hope it picks up next episode.
C@LAg
Seven Costanza said:

Gap said:

That's basically how I feel, too. They've done a good job of making the setting feel very cold, dark, and depressing, but that's about the extent of my compliments. The acting and dialogue have been bad. I'm not sure why, but the scene with the geologist talking to Foster felt Gran Torino-level bad acting. This week's episode felt like it was two hours.

Some of the dialogue cracks me up:

"What does the circle thing mean?"

*looks in another direction* "It's old. Older than Ennis. Probably older than the ice."

I wanted to cop to say "So just to be clear, you don't know what it is or what it means?"

"No, I was just being dramatic. But it's probably bad."
agreed with both takes. I will finish watching it, but I am not enjoying it at all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.