*** TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY ***

90,140 Views | 900 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by amg405
Apache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

I like the hints at a possible supernatural element (even if they don't ever fully go there)
Hints? They are beating us over the head with it!

JCRiley09
AG
Is there any way we could have one "Vent about 'woke' shows here" mega-thread? It's beyond frustrating to have a show thread interrupted by multi-page rants over nothing
Ervin Burrell
AG
Brandamne said:

It was good but of course it's woke. Worried it would be after the trailer.
How's it woke? Because there are brown people in it?
Ervin Burrell
AG
Also, was that Mr. Prez playing the manager at the crab meat processing center?
OKCAG02
AG
I live in Alaska (Anchorage, not the North Slope) but I think they did a good job showing the challenges of living in the isolated native villages way up there. Lots of alcohol, drug, and domestic problems. Sadly, they filmed in Iceland rather than Alaska though.
TCTTS
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Is there any way we could have one "Vent about 'woke' shows here" mega-thread? It's beyond frustrating to have a show thread interrupted by multi-page rants over nothing

Greatest idea ever. There's even a perfect board for it, too.
TCTTS
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

Brandamne said:

- Two female detectives, one of whom is a minority.

- Navarro complains that a white murder victim wouldn't have been so readily forgotten.

- Danvers' step-daughter is apparently a lesbian.

Even though the show also features prominent male characters, and even though they don't actually depict the lesbian relationship on screen, and even though, as a minority, it's perfectly normal/believable/character-appropriate for Navarro to believe what she believes, if there isn't at least one male lead, if there's any hint of gayness whatsoever, and if there's even slight disparaging of white people / allusions to white privilege, that show/movie automatically = "woke" and instantly causes snowflakes to have to complain it about it on the internet.
TCTTS
AG
Travis is the "ghost" who led Rose to the bodies...

https://screenrant.com/true-detective-night-country-travis-rust-cohle-dad-theory/
Whos Juan
AG
TCTTS said:

Ervin Burrell said:

Brandamne said:

- Two female detectives, one of which is a minority.

- Navarro complains that a white murder victim wouldn't have been so readily forgotten.

- Danvers' step-daughter is apparently a lesbian.

Even though the show also features prominent male characters, and even though they don't actually depict the lesbian relationship on screen, and even though, as a minority, it's perfectly normal/believable/character-appropriate for Navarro to believe what she believes, if there isn't at least one male lead, if there's any hint of gayness whatsoever, and if there's even slight disparaging of white people / allusions to white privilege, that show/movie automatically = "woke" and causes snowflakes to have to complain it about it on the internet.

Hold up, you're brown?
TCTTS
AG
How on earth did you come to that conclusion?
Whos Juan
AG
TCTTS said:

How on earth did you come to that conclusion?
Quote:

Even though the show also features prominent male characters, and even though they don't actually depict the lesbian relationship on screen, and even though, as a minority, it's perfectly normal/believable/character-appropriate for Navarro to believe what she believes, if there isn't at least one male lead, if there's any hint of gayness whatsoever, and if there's even slight disparaging of white people / allusions to white privilege, that show/movie automatically = "woke" and causes snowflakes to have to complain it about it on the internet.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

... as a minority, it's perfectly normal/believable/character-appropriate for Navarro to believe what she believes ...
TCTTS
AG
OKCAG02
AG
I don't like Woke either but I actually think the amount of white people living in Ennis is unrealistic. It would be almost all Alaskan Natives. (Again I live in Alaska)
Brandamne
Woke isn't brown . Let's see teenage lesbians, two women leads and on and on.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Two good videos with some things you may have missed.

Ervin Burrell
AG
Brandamne said:

Woke isn't brown . Let's see teenage lesbians, two women leads and on and on.
Glad to know the term "woke" has been so *******ized that it can now refer to a show that has female lead actors.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Have you considered that being so triggered by the casting of characters the problem might not be the show?
amg405
AG
We enjoyed it. Looks like it's going to be pretty dark. According to one of the above posts… it gets pretty rough in episode 2. We're staying with it.
TCTTS
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Maaaaan, these are good, and get me so much more amped for the rest of the season. Such great insight in both, and only half an hour of your time, total, between them. Thanks for posting!
TCTTS
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

I like the hints at a possible supernatural element (even if they don't ever fully go there)
Hints? They are beating us over the head with it!

We went through all of this during season one, and the videos above only underline it more - the fact that we're almost assuredly not getting actual supernatural elements this go around, same as when everyone thought we were getting Cthulhu, the Yellow King, etc in season one, but didn't. It's all very intentionally walking that fine line where it could be interpreted as supernatural, but also just as easily has a real-world explanation. When it's at its best, that's what True Detective does so well. Ultimately, it's all about belief, and who that belief causes us to be.
Apache
AG
Quote:

It's all very intentionally walking that fine line where it could be interpreted as supernatural, but also just as easily has a real-world explanation
I get that. The difference is Season 1 (From what I remember) was more subtle about it & part of the supernatural was explained by Rust's drug use/hallucinations. The audience saw the supernatural through one person's point of view. The rest of the "supernatural" was just paintings, symbols, etc. that obviously were of human origin.
This season seems to be a town-wide mass psychosis (since the visions/murders are all likely due to hallucinations)
and would have to be the result of some tainted water (already hinted at) or food supply to happen so broadly. The audience is seeing the supernatural perspective from multiple people vs. Season 1's single person. Thus my comment they are beating us over the head with it.

Ag_07
AG
I think the hallucinations and weird shlt going on in this season aren't so much drug use but just a result of isolation and dark (hence the name Night Country).

When you live in a harsh desolate place like that that's dark 24/7 your mind plays tricks on you and going crazy is a real thing.

Hell the native people even have a mythical creature of some sort in folklore that I bet we see has sort of tie in to being isolated and dark for so long.
Apache
AG
Quote:

When you live in a harsh desolate place like that that's dark 24/7 your mind plays tricks on you and going crazy is a real thing.
Agree, but why now? Why so many people? They've all presumably been living there for a while. This is why I suspect something else is going on besides the 24 dark which happens every year
Pignorant
AG
Because time is a flat circle. Everything we've ever done or will do, we're gonna do over and over and over again.
Ag_07
AG
It's not just now. These two cases are a good few months apart aren't they?

Like I said the natives believe in some sort of creature so I'm guessing people disappearing unusually has happened in the past.
MASAXET
AG
I'm glad Lone Star continues to feature so prominently
TCTTS
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

It's all very intentionally walking that fine line where it could be interpreted as supernatural, but also just as easily has a real-world explanation
I get that. The difference is Season 1 (From what I remember) was more subtle about it & part of the supernatural was explained by Rust's drug use/hallucinations. The audience saw the supernatural through one person's point of view. The rest of the "supernatural" was just paintings, symbols, etc. that obviously were of human origin.
This season seems to be a town-wide mass psychosis (since the visions/murders are all likely due to hallucinations)
and would have to be the result of some tainted water (already hinted at) or food supply to happen so broadly. The audience is seeing the supernatural perspective from multiple people vs. Season 1's single person. Thus my comment they are beating us over the head with it.

Gotcha. Makes sense.
TCTTS
AG
BassCowboy33
Really liked E1. Definitely has the same eeriness of S1. S2 felt more like a mob/corruption show and S3 felt more like a straight procedural. Glad to be back on the spooky.
Prosperdick
AG
TCTTS said:

She just as easily could have been wearing an A&M jersey and before you say it wouldn't jive with the setting I present you Northern Exposure and one Janine Turner (sorry, couldn't find the image of her in the A&M sweatshirt).
Teddy Perkins
AG
KidDoc
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Great videos thanks for sharing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BG Knocc Out
BassCowboy33 said:

double aught said:

JWinTX said:

Season 2 was terrible on every front.
Nope. Not at all. It's just been cool to bag on it. It was decent at worst. Just had the misfortune of being compared to season 1. The shootout halfway through the season is as good as anything you'll find on tv.
I never thought it was as bad as people complained about. I thought Farrell and Kitsch were awesome. The drug party scene is still one of my favorite television sequences of all time.
That shootout in the middle of downtown Vinci was pretty sweet.

Season 2 had some cheesy dialogue...the below definitely comes to mind...but was still better and more gripping than the vast majority of shows on TV imo. It was always going to suffer the misfortune of following TD1 no matter how good it was...which it didn't even come close to, even if it was entertaining.

I think it's just really cool to overly bag on it. My goodness what a depressing ending though...F.

BG Knocc Out
Ervin Burrell said:

Brandamne said:

Yeah man, he must be a racist for thinking a lesbian cop beating up a man twice her size is mildly "woke"...get him!

Crazy how thirsty some of yall are to paint others as racist.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.