*** TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY ***

90,135 Views | 900 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by amg405
StinkyPinky
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

KidDoc said:

TCTTS said:

CoolAggie said:

This season is good (better than 2 or 3), unfortunately, it does not have an Alexandra Daddario.

Time to introduce a little chaos and say that...

Michelle Monaghan > Alexandra Daddario

For me at least.

I totally get Marty's "Why not both?" approach, but if I had already landed Monaghan I couldn't imagine for a second A) not being fulfilled, and B) risking it all for Daddario. Daddario has *a* package, to be sure, but Monaghan is the complete package, and absolute dream scenario wife material.
On our recent rewatch of S1 my wife mentioned that Woody really outkicks his coverage on that show. I noticed he was an exec producer so of I figured that was part of his contract that he got to make out with the hottest actresses available at the time.

Haha no doubt.

Funny story...my wife was standing near a luggage carousel by herself as a recent t.u. college grad in the early 2000's at Austin-Bergstrom when she looked over and noticed Woody Harrelson and some lady peepin her from a distance a carousel or two over.

A few minutes later she decided to smoke a cigarette outside while waiting for a friend to pick her up and the British lady who was hangin with Woody asked if she could bum one...she was under the impression this lady worked for Woody in some capacity. They talked for a bit and I believe the lady casually mentioned that Woody thought she was attractive. A few minutes later, Woody came outside and the lady went back to hang with him on the sidewalk and my wife looked over and saw them both kind of looking and pointing at her.

She decided to be brave and go talk to him and tell him she was a fan. Said he was very polite but definitely had had a few cocktails and definitely seemed interested in her. Fast fwd to 2008 and he marries an Asian woman. My wife still jokingly takes credit for him coming down with "yellow fever".
Haha, that's great!
LouisHerbertWong
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

KidDoc said:

TCTTS said:

CoolAggie said:

This season is good (better than 2 or 3), unfortunately, it does not have an Alexandra Daddario.

For me at least.

I totally get Marty's "Why not both?" approach, but if I had already landed Monaghan I couldn't imagine for a second A) not being fulfilled, and B) risking it all for Daddario. Daddario has *a* package, to be sure, but Monaghan is the complete package, and absolute dream scenario wife material.
On our recent rewatch of S1 my wife mentioned that Woody really outkicks his coverage on that show. I noticed he was an exec producer so of I figured that was part of his contract that he got to make out with the hottest actresses available at the time.

Haha no doubt.

Funny story...my wife was standing near a luggage carousel by herself as a recent t.u. college grad in the early 2000's at Austin-Bergstrom when she looked over and noticed Woody Harrelson and some lady peepin her from a distance a carousel or two over.

A few minutes later she decided to smoke a cigarette outside while waiting for a friend to pick her up and the British lady who was hangin with Woody asked if she could bum one...she was under the impression this lady worked for Woody in some capacity. They talked for a bit and I believe the lady casually mentioned that Woody thought she was attractive. A few minutes later, Woody came outside and the lady went back to hang with him on the sidewalk and my wife looked over and saw them both kind of looking and pointing at her.

She decided to be brave and go talk to him and tell him she was a fan. Said he was very polite but definitely had had a few cocktails and definitely seemed interested in her. Fast fwd to 2008 and he marries an Asian woman. My wife still jokingly takes credit for him coming down with "yellow fever".
Sounds like you got yada yada-ed.
BG Knocc Out
Mike Elko said:

BG Knocc Out said:

KidDoc said:

TCTTS said:

CoolAggie said:

For me at least.

Haha no doubt.

Sounds like you got yada yada-ed.

If that's implying what I think it's implying, it would be an honor to have Woody's sloppy seconds, through sickness and health, til death do us part. But unfortunately, her friend scooped her up and she never saw him again. I hope she's lying and we're Eskimo bros. Jk
Agasaurus Tex
AG
What are the odds that this season has an awesome conclusion or ends like Lost?
BassCowboy33
Agasaurus Tex said:

What are the odds that this season has an awesome conclusion or ends like Lost?

Seasons 2 & 3 had unhappy-ish endings. Don't be surprised if this is similar. The show has mostly shied away from the tidy police narrative.
shhopkins
AG
Just finished rewatching season one.

This season feels like community theater.
Nagler
AG
1 is the greatest TV series of all time. Don't compare things to it or you'll be disappointed.

That being said, I hope they turn it up a notch for the last three episodes.
BassCowboy33
People need to stop comparing seasons. The show has the same name, but it is not the same show. When you start taking different seasons of shows that have different stories and plots, you'll end up disappointed 100% of the time.
TCTTS
AG
Amen. Especially ten years later, after we've already done this twice before. We've long since known nothing will ever touch the first season or even come close. At this point, all I'm looking for is an intriguing murder mystery and some damaged detectives trying to solve it.
BassCowboy33
TCTTS said:

Amen. Especially ten years later, after we've already done this twice before. We've long since known nothing will ever touch the first season or even come close. At this point, all I'm looking for is an intriguing murder mystery and some damaged detectives trying to solve it.
Some people look for ways to be miserable.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
I think it's a good season thus far. It's a little wobbly. The next episode will likely make or break it. I also thought season 2 was really good so what do I know.
TCTTS
AG
I got confirmation that critics/journalists/YouTubers have seen only the first four episodes. And most of them have given the season so far glowing reviews, which hopefully means their experience ended on a high note, and that episode four is good/back on track.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Man I was going to come poll the thread to see if this is more season 1 or more season 2 before setting it up.

RT says 93% critics love it, audience is in the 60s..there's also opinion pieces saying its really really bad?

Guess Ill just sit down for the pilot tonight and try and sort it myself.
TCTTS
AG
IMO...

Episode 1 = decent / intriguing setup
Episode 2 = one of the best episodes of TV I've seen in a while
Episode 3 = pretty bad / boring

Anyone who says the season so far is really, really bad doesn't know what they're talking about, but I'd also say 91% is too high. As of now I'd say high 70s/low 80s.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Part of me wonders if they are setting this up for a second season at this location with these characters?
BadMoonRisin
AG
Thanks. Ill dip a toe in and know if I feel ambivalent to E1, I'll at least take in E2 before deciding.

I was surprised too.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2024/02/03/true-detective-night-country-is-one-of-the-worst-mysteries-ever-made/?sh=4b69a85c2c6e\

Worst mystery shows ever made?

This guy might just be a contrarian. His E2 review is titled - Season 4 Episode 2 of True Detective Night Country - The Crushing Disappointment Continues.
BowSowy
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Man I was going to come poll the thread to see if this is more season 1 or more season 2 before setting it up.

RT says 93% critics love it, audience is in the 60s..there's also opinion pieces saying its really really bad?

Guess Ill just sit down for the pilot tonight and try and sort it myself.
I think it'll probably end up being a good season. I just think it's been far too slow to ramp up thus far. And I am struggling to see how they are going to tie up all the side plots they have set up when we only have 3 episodes left. Who knows, maybe some of the side stories have just been introduced to establish certain personality traits of the characters and won't have some payoff or conclusion.
BowSowy
AG
Also, I'm a little surprised that we are halfway through and there really hasn't been much speculation on what is going on. It's a True Detective season, so I assume the culprit that looks likely now (something related to the mine) is a red herring, but I just can't think of who or what else they have introduced that could end up being the answer.
Bunk Moreland
BowSowy said:

Also, I'm a little surprised that we are halfway through and there really hasn't been much speculation on what is going on.

Because it's difficult to care about it imo. The case feels secondary to whatever it is the director is trying to do with the character arcs.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Going to be some sort of ice cave for the Blue King in the this upcoming episode. I'm guessing the Blue King is some sort of occult ring.
BassCowboy33
Bunk Moreland said:

BowSowy said:

Also, I'm a little surprised that we are halfway through and there really hasn't been much speculation on what is going on.

Because it's difficult to care about it imo. The case feels secondary to whatever it is the director is trying to do with the character arcs.
That's kind of True Detective's thing, though? One of the few things all the seasons have in common is a heavy emphasis on character development and interpersonal relationships that often overshadow the case. Heck, I can't remember much about the actual villain or crimes in S1, but I can talk all about the random conversations the characters had while driving in cars.

S1, where all the famous quotes come from the characters discussing a bunch of philosophical jibberish.
S2, which involved a group of very uncomplicated and damaged cops working on a case.
S3, involving two guys from conflicting backgrounds trying to reconcile their upbringings, while one of them slowly loses it to Alzheimer's.

If you think about it, the cases are always a backdrop to a character study. Pacing is always slow. That's a benefit you have in a long-form series. What True Detective does a bit differently than most is that you don't always like that development, which has always felt more real than other crime series.
zgood10
AG
Glad to see Jon Hopkins getting some play this episode (when Navarro gets called)

BassCowboy33
Welp, I'm gonna need to watch an episode of Seinfeld before going to bed. I'm shook, lol. That was dark and frightening even by True Detective standards.

Also, glad to see my oranges theory was correct.

I have a bad feeling her guy friend is going to get diced when someone finds that rock in his home OR he's going to accidentally figure something out, because he seems good at tracking crap down.
The Dog Lord
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

BowSowy said:

That's kind of True Detective's thing, though? One of the few things all the seasons have in common is a heavy emphasis on character development and interpersonal relationships that often overshadow the case. Heck, I can't remember much about the actual villain or crimes in S1, but I can talk all about the random conversations the characters had while driving in cars.

S1, where all the famous quotes come from the characters discussing a bunch of philosophical jibberish.
S2, which involved a group of very uncomplicated and damaged cops working on a case.
S3, involving two guys from conflicting backgrounds trying to reconcile their upbringings, while one of them slowly loses it to Alzheimer's.

If you think about it, the cases are always a backdrop to a character study. Pacing is always slow. That's a benefit you have in a long-form series. What True Detective does a bit differently than most is that you don't always like that development, which has always felt more real than other crime series.

I'm surprised people don't seem to feel that way about season 1, or do they just not remember? I still think it was great, but it's not like things went at break neck speed.

I'm really enjoying Season 4 as well, although I did binge the first three. Will be week to week starting with tonight's which I haven't watched yet.
maca1028
No kidding! My wife and I just binged the last to episodes, that was tough.
mazzag
AG
Master George has two appearances!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This show is bleak, depressing, repetitive, and a little boring. To be honest I'm just waiting for it to end at this point.

Once again, it feels like they had three episodes of story and they stretched it out to six. There were at least three scenes that were the exact same beats we got in earlier episodes. (Danvers and her boss, the crazy sister, Danvers' daughter graffiti'ng the mine, etc) Also, someone tell me what the hell the online scam storyline added to the show. Totally unnecessary filler.

It started out really promising, but took a nosedive in episode three and it just continued the trend tonight. Disappointed in this show, but it's too late to quit now.
TAMUallen
AG
Ep 4 leaves us hanging at the end but I'd say 80% of that episode was pretty boring
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Better than episode 3, but mostly boring filler with a few solid scenes and a bit more movement in the actual investigation.

I'm pot committed at this point, but this has all been fairly mediocre with very small batches of solid TV.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TCTTS
AG

I've been hanging on, giving this season the benefit of the doubt every chance I could, but episode four finally broke me.

Just utter, repetitive nothingness. Masked by a solid soundtrack that made it feel far more "prestige" than it actually was.

In any other even halfway effective detective show/murder mystery, with a killer on the loose, there's a palpable threat that he or she is going to strike again, until they *do* strike again, thus upping the stakes, causing that ticking clock to tick louder and louder.

Here? We get an opening set of murders… and then nothing but uninteresting melodrama, rooted in unending background exposition, for four straight episodes. Which worked surprisingly well for the first couple of episodes, but to then give us two episodes beyond that of these people doing little more than tending to rote family drama and driving around in the snow, with minimal detective work in the fringes, on a case that seems to pose no tangible threat to the here and now… no thanks.

Every once in a blue moon, giving one of these shows to an inexperienced showrunner works - as it did with season one - but the vast majority of the time the results are boring at best, disastrous at worst, and Issa Lopez falls right in between the latter two. She should have either never been given so much authority, or HBO should have done a way better job supporting/noting her, because this just isn't it.

I'll finish the season/next two episodes out of morbid curiosity, but man, what a let down. Not even in comparison to past True Detective seasons, but detective shows in general.
El Gallo Blanco
LOL I enjoyed it. Try a gummy and a cocktail next time. I feel like that's what some of you guys are doing wrong. Better than vast majority of TV shows out there.

That being said, the next two episodes need to be groundbreaking for this season to work how I hope it will.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
With a gummy and a cocktail The Weather Channel could be riveting. This show just sucks the life out of entertainment.
BowSowy
AG
It's 58 minutes of backstory with 2 minutes at the end focused on the case. I know the previous seasons of TD were majority character focused, but I don't remember the case taking this much of a backseat.

It also doesn't help that I haven't found a character to care about
Proposition Joe
The entire series as a whole outside of S1 has been underwhelming.

Acting has always been what's carried the show to it's better season(s?). I know most will disagree, but the S1 mystery wasn't really that great as far as detective stories go, but the great dialogue and monumental acting carried it to it's lofty status as one of the best seasons of television. Replace MM or Woody Harrelson in that season and it's a Law and Order SVU special.

S2 had the acting chops, but the story was a mess and the dialogue and pacing was god awful.

S3 again with great acting from Ali and Dorff. Pacing was bad, story was mediocre.

S4 the pacing again has been terribly bad, but the dialogue and acting isn't there to carry it. I like Jodie Foster. She is/was a great actress that has done some great roles, but this isn't one of them. Just lazy writing in many aspects as well. Last episode we got the "I need this information from you." "Ok, to get this information tell us about your mom.". Lazy exposition. Even the random scene at the ice rink when the dad gives the skates to his son. "Son get up I need to show you something."... Son gets up from desk so they can stand a foot away to frame the shot.

They live in a frozen tundra full of substance abuse but they need a vet from another town to explain to them what people that freeze to death look like?

So far this isn't even reaching the bar of a good X-Files episode. This is one of those series that gets the hype-train every year from the industry. Feels like the studio/industry pushes it with high praise, but something somewhat under the radar like Mare of Easttown winds up being significantly better than any True Detective since S1.
brillag
AG
Navarro's side piece is the only character I would be rooting for

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.