*** TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY ***

90,153 Views | 900 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by amg405
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LFG.

Still no release date - only that it's "coming this year" - but considering production is wrapped, I'm hoping sometime this summer...

True Detective: Night Country
Season 4
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2356777/
2023 TBA
HBO + Max

C@LAg
Doctor Lecter shows up in Alaska leading a swarm of vampires!!!!!

30 Days of Nightly Lamb Screaming

fletch01
AG
LFG, indeed! Been waiting for this one for awhile. Been watching the first three seasons on rotation. Season 1 is top 5 all time.
TCTTS
AG

(I don't know why it's flagging that third tweet as "sensitive content." It's simply noting that Rust visited his dying father in Alaska, where this season takes place.)
AgShaun00
AG
I just rewatched s1 so this is exciting.

MROD92
I'm all in
JWinTX
Very excited for this--think it will be great.

Season 1 of True Detective is still the best miniseries I have ever watched. Just amazing work.

Season 3 was great, all the way up to the last episode, which left a lot to be desired...

Season 2 was terrible on every front.
Lathspell
AG
Hmm... we'll see.

I love the idea of a small-mid sized town in Alaska. Can offer a great backdrop and environment.

Kind of similar to the atmosphere of Wind River, which I thought was a fantastic movie.

Just have to not try to hold it up to the same level as Season 1, as I always try to do. I don't know who that black female actor is, but I hope she's good. The scenes they showed with her didn't draw me in.

For me, one of the biggest draws of Season 1 and 3 were the characters, and the actors playing those characters. Those performances from Woody and McConaughey were so freaking great. And, of course, Mahershala Ali always provides an amazing performance.
FL_Ag1998
AG
JWinTX said:

Season 1 of True Detective is still the best miniseries I have ever watched. Just amazing work.

Season 3 was great, all the way up to the last episode, which left a lot to be desired...

You're wrong on at least one front. It starred Rachel McAdams.

JWinTX
FL_Ag1998 said:

JWinTX said:

She looks great, but even she couldn't make that season any good.
C@LAg
FL_Ag1998 said:

chin mole
and was in season 2

2/10
wnb
Serious Lee
been maybe 20 years since ive seen jodie foster. based on that trailer, looks like she hasnt acted in just as long.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Just wanted to bump this thread to say this trailer caused me to binge rewatch Season 1 over the past two nights and I was reminded just how brilliant it was. Now I'm ****ing hyped for this upcoming season because it looks like they're finally returning to a storyline similar to Season 1.

Also, I'd give anything to get another season of Cohle and Hart working together again on another case, but definitely after the events of Season 1. Where their relationship had evolved to by the end of that season can only be described as one of the best cop/buddy/partner relationships ever shown on tv.
TCTTS
AG
Amen.
I am a Russian Bot
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
JWinTX said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

JWinTX said:

Well…there was that one episode with her butt…

AgShaun00
AG
Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

JWinTX said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

JWinTX said:

Well…there was that one episode with her butt…

which one, asking for a freind? I don't want to waste my time on that season
Max Power
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Just wanted to bump this thread to say this trailer caused me to binge rewatch Season 1 over the past two nights and I was reminded just how brilliant it was. Now I'm ****ing hyped for this upcoming season because it looks like they're finally returning to a storyline similar to Season 1.

Also, I'd give anything to get another season of Cohle and Hart working together again on another case, but definitely after the events of Season 1. Where their relationship had evolved to by the end of that season can only be described as one of the best cop/buddy/partner relationships ever shown on tv.
For my money season 1 of TD is the best season of TV ever created, it's about as close to perfect as exists. They set the bar and will be almost impossible for anyone to equal, let alone exceed.

I don't know that I'd want another season of them because I don't think they could recapture the magic of season 1. If they did anything to continue off of season 1 plot wise they'd have to use new actors/characters, the only thing I'd imagine Rust would do would be to murder anyone he thinks is involved, I don't think he's asking questions anymore, he's going person to person and getting rid of them. After the events of season 1 he'd probably disappear, Hart would potentially still be around but Cohle has nothing to keep him there but bad experiences.

I also think season 1 could have ruined Nic Pizzolatto due to how successful it was, he's going to have to battle against his own accomplishment any time he writes something else. I don't think he's very easy to work with either since he was supposed to work with Jeremy Saulnier throughout season 3 but he bailed after the first 2 episodes. Saulnier was the perfect director for season 3 because of Green Room and Blue Ruin, I was disappointed that he didn't stay longer.

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nic_Pizzolatto][/url]It's fine if they continue the anthology, I think that's it's best form. A single arc that goes on for a season in a different location than the previous ones.
Dimebag Darrell
I get the feeling there's going to be some lesbian activity in this one. Gay sexual activity is almost a pre-requisite for any adult themed drama nowadays to begin with, but both Jodie and her colleague seem pretty tomboyish in this one. Are we thinking it's going to go down between them, or one of them and another person? Or perhaps, between them, but with someone on the side, for added drama?

My odds...

Lesbian sex of any sort: -800
Lesbian sex between the two stars: EVEN
Lesbian love triangle: +200
No Lesbian sex: +1000

Place your bets!
double aught
AG
JWinTX said:

Nope. Not at all. It's just been cool to bag on it. It was decent at worst. Just had the misfortune of being compared to season 1. The shootout halfway through the season is as good as anything you'll find on tv.
Al Bula
AG
Season 2 was fine. Season 3 was a big letdown for me. They are about even as far as I am concerned. And LOL at starting this thread without an air date. Completely silly to begin it now, so I'll be back to give objective criticism when it comes back. Talk about attention-seeking behavior.
TCTTS
AG
So even though an official trailer was released, and we know that the season is not only coming this year, but almost assuredly sometime in the third quarter, we can't discuss a show until it has an exact air date? Do you know how stupid that sounds? Talk about attention-seeking behavior.
Sea Speed
AG
I just really hope the beef between Jodie foster and the other cop isn't some black on white bull***** The last thing we need is something else pitting whites and blacks against each other.
Stive
AG
Sea Speed said:

I just really hope the beef between Jodie foster and the other cop isn't some black on white bull***** The last thing we need is something else pitting whites and blacks against each other.
I'm with Brittmoore Car Club....I bet they're ex's or one of their girlfriends ended up with the other. It's pretty shallow to base something off the teaser but I'm betting it's not racial.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I'm betting the title comes from an out of state transplant in Alaska being held at gun point by two natives while they yell, "This is Night Country!"
cc10106
IN.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Excited about this. Jodie Foster looks legit.
Max Power
AG
This weekend I couldn't figure out what I wanted to watch so I started a True Detective Season 1 rewatch. Finished up yesterday and it's still so damn good, still my favorite season of tv. Been a few years since I watched it and even though I know how it all breaks it's just riveting stuff. Harrelson and McConaughey are awesome together and perfectly cast as Hart and Cohle. The imagery and locations are haunting, drawings are terrifying. Errol is pretty much the scariest character I can think of in the history of television. Having grown up in East Texas on the gulf coast and spent a lot of time in Louisiana, the swamps are just a place that feel like they're off. Like Rust says at one point "I don't like it here, nothing grows in the right direction."

Really looking forward to season 4, with the symbol present in the trailer I'm hoping there's a connection to season 1. Rust did indicate he grew up in Alaska.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I introduced my SO to this a few months ago, and now she loves randomly dropping Rust quotes.

"I don't sleep, I just dream."

"This place is like somebody's memory of a town."

"I can smell the psychosphere."
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
theSCHW4B
AG
Just finished Season 1 for the first time. I somehow never got around to watching it even though I've seen season 3. Lives up to the hype for sure! McConaughey and Woody were amazing as expected.

My ONLY small complaint was their realization that the green ears of the spaghetti monster drawing must have come from the paint from the green house. Was that a complaint that anyone else had as they watched it for the first time, or did pretty much everyone just accept it? I didn't feel like scrolling back through the season 1 thread.
TCTTS
AG
With season two of Winning Time now announced for August 6, and only seven episodes, that all but guarantees True Detective: Night Country will debut on October 1st at the earliest or October 15th at the latest. Either way, it's October, and not summer, like some of us were hoping.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I didnt even attempt season 3 because of how terrible season 2 was. Is it worth it?
TCTTS
AG
It doesn't come close to the first season, but is definitely better than two, and still better than most TV.
K2-HMFIC
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

I introduced my SO to this a few months ago, and now she loves randomly dropping Rust quotes.

That's hilarious.

Rust Cohle has got to be one of the top 10 characters in the prestige TV era.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

"Time is a flat circle" has pretty much been enshrined as an all-timer pop culture quote, at least between me and my friends.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.