*** TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY ***

90,131 Views | 900 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by amg405
El Gallo Blanco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Prosperdick said:

On a separate note, I couldn't stand the teacher mispronouncing Heiss as "Hayes" as nobody would ever pronounce it that way but it was a way to make Danvers look smart by deducing the correct pronunciation. What excellent sleuthing!!!
Have you been in a public school in the last decade? One of my wife's friends, bless her heart, teaches HS and makes the worst grammatical and spelling mistakes I have ever seen at times. HS English too.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Me too!
Ag_07
AG
Yep

That's one thing that makes it such a let down. The setting is awesome for a creepy vibe (just like the swamps of LA were in S1) especially the nomad camps. That would've been a great direction to take this show.

The dark occult underworld of the cast away Alaskan nomads who live in the night country.
ExpressAg11
AG
Not sure if it's been discussed here yet: Navarro's sister folded her clothes and stacked them before she walked off into the ice. Didn't they mention in episode 1 that the scientists folded their clothes and left them in a row before their incident? Probably nothing big but thought it was interesting.
LouisHerbertWong
AG
ExpressAg11 said:

Not sure if it's been discussed here yet: Navarro's sister folded her clothes and stacked them before she walked off into the ice. Didn't they mention in episode 1 that the scientists folded their clothes and left them in a row before their incident? Probably nothing big but thought it was interesting.
Noticed that, too. Yes, the scientists' clothes were folded/stacked. I don't think it's nothing...
El Gallo Blanco
Mike Elko said:

ExpressAg11 said:

Noticed that, too. Yes, the scientists' clothes were folded/stacked. I don't think it's nothing...
The cell-repairing micro-organisms being studied make you want to kill yourself but also make you extremely OCD.
KidDoc
AG
I recently rewatched S1 and several months ago read through the Lovecraft stories. I think S1 was STRONGLY influenced by this particular Lovecraft story.

H.P. Lovecraft The Call of Cthulhu (II: The Tale of Inspector Legrasse) | Genius

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag_07
AG
And the scientists were also killed before they froze so maybe she didn't commit suicide but was killed before she drowned.
MW03
AG
I think there was a painting of Cthulhu aka the Stranger Things monster on the wall in the dredges building if memory serves
Seven Costanza
AG
My favorite part has been when they do scenes with Foster hooking up with the other cop dude. It's compelling, it adds A LOT to the story, they have great chemistry, and above all, it's absolute eye candy. Second favorite: people driving in the snow. Needless to say, I'm loving the show. My only request is to have more scenes of activist daughter spray painting stuff. I'm fascinated by her journey. Hopefully Season 5 can be a spin-off of her really finding her roots and exploring her truth.
Nagler
AG
No mention of the kid cop's dad trying to get a Russian wife? That's some compelling tv. I'm glad they didn't bore us with the manhunt or the reason for the fight in the hospital or anything else compelling.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Y'all forgetting the scenes of Pete's wife being upset that he's gotta work long hours?
El Gallo Blanco
Nagler said:

No mention of the kid cop's dad trying to get a Russian wife? That's some compelling tv. I'm glad they didn't bore us with the manhunt or the reason for the fight in the hospital or anything else compelling.
It's been mentioned a few times on here...unless he kills himself or has a breakdown, I am not sure what the point was. And even then, how would it tie to the case in any way? Aside from adding stress to his son and the team. With only two eps, it will be interesting to see if there was ever a point to it. It's not like he's a super integral character.
El Gallo Blanco
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Y'all forgetting the scenes of Pete's wife being upset that he's gotta work long hours?
And even she is pretty unlikable and hard to sympathize with. They tried to make these characters too "hardened". Far cry from Michelle Monaghan's character and acting chops.
Ag_07
AG
I was thought at one point the Russian mail order bride might somehow come into play and be a decent storyline to the case.

Some kind of Russian spy plant linked to the research at the station would've been a cool link to make.
AJ02
AG
How many days is it fully dark in Alaska? Looked like last episode there was daylight. Probably day after Christmas? Wasn't sure if that was a goof, or if it's legitimately getting lighter again. As some sort of allegory for the progression of the story.
Prosperdick
AG
AJ02 said:

How many days is it fully dark in Alaska? Looked like last episode there was daylight. Probably day after Christmas? Wasn't sure if that was a goof, or if it's legitimately getting lighter again. As some sort of allegory for the progression of the story.
I'm not sure how north the fictional town of Ennis is but the northern most city in Alaska gets around 2 months of total darkness, which is just nucking futs to me.

That city is Utqiagvik (formerly known as Barrow) which is funny that they changed the name, almost like well, if we change the name will the sun finally come out!
Bunk Moreland
We have a poster who spent time up there so he will know more than me, but doesn't this mean the sun never rises? So there are times during that period where the sun is near the horizon so there is some light where it isn't 100% dark?

Also, this fictional town doesn't necessarily have to be exactly like Utqiavik so it doesn't really matter.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, a couple weeks ago I asked if it really is pitch dark 24/7 or if there's, say, a half-hour window everyday where light peaks over the horizon. That poster responded, saying that there IS a period each day where there's a bit of light, but said it's more like a 15-minute window. Which, in other words, could technically account for the light we've seen on the horizon a couple times this season.
MW03
AG
AJ02 said:

I don't know, but it looked like the pic on the phone Danvers showed Navarro was taken at 3PM on a Texas February
ExpressAg11
AG
Honestly one of the most interesting scenes in the season was the opening one with the caribou. Not sure if that was because of some kind of magnetic shift or what but hopefully that ties back in somehow.
TCTTS
AG
Could have been a spotlight the picture-taker was using.
ChoppinDs40
AG
MW03 said:

AJ02 said:

I don't know, but it looked like the pic on the phone Danvers showed Navarro was taken at 3PM on a Texas February
this is just a bust in production because... how could you show a picture of the guy if it was... dark?
Seven Costanza
AG
Barrow is as far north as you can go, so we'll use that. The sun doesn't actually rise until January 23rd. However, during the 66 days of polar night, there are still around 3 hours of civil twilight every day between 12-3pm. It's a fair amount of light. For example, civil twilight is that light remaining for 30 minutes or so after sunset at this time of year.

The only places that have the true polar night are in the Arctic Circle.

FL_Ag1998
AG
It depends on how far north you are and of course the time of year.

In Anchorage during the dead of winter I remember it would get "light" around 11 a.m. and then dark again by 4 p.m. I say "light" but it wasn't a full bright sunny afternoon type of light.

But then during the summer it would get "dark" around 1 a.m. and back full light again around 4-5 a.m. Again, when I say dark, it wasn't really dark. It was what we'd call dusk down here. The summertime is what really threw me off because you don't feel like sleeping when it doesn't get dark. Its midnight and you feel like you should be up doing stuff. We used foil over the windows in our bedrooms.

But Anchorage is south Alaska really. There's plenty of places further north that experience more drastic extremes. But I spent most of my time in Dutch Harbor or out on the Bering.
BowSowy
AG
No first-hand experience to add. But I am working on a big project that will eventually be constructed on the North Slope. A lot of the Ops guys have experience at other sites on the slope and I remember hearing them talk about how great that first sunrise is. I later learned it's just for like an hour, but I imagine it feels awesome after not seeing the sun for months.

Interestingly enough (to me, at least), most of our heavy transportation to the site is planned during the winter. They have to build ice roads and ice bridges to handle the trailered loads
DannyDuberstein
AG
30 Days of Night
ExpressAg11
AG
But I did forget that they said the scientists were killed then placed on the ice so the "killer" must've folded the clothes after. So now even more confused. I'd like to think the writers are smart enough to tie it all together, but maybe not.
Mr President Elect
AG
The vet said it was probably cardiac arrest from being scared.
Mr President Elect
AG
ExpressAg11 said:

Honestly one of the most interesting scenes in the season was the opening one with the caribou. Not sure if that was because of some kind of magnetic shift or what but hopefully that ties back in somehow.
One of the youtube recap shows posted after ep 1 went into the magnectic shift explanation for that. I don't think that is the likely culprit after the vet talking about finding caribou basically dying from fear, so I expect the ending will explain the caribou, just not from magnectic shift.
Mr President Elect
AG
f burg ag said:

I can't get past how a guy flips off a state trooper, she comes back a little later to confront him and his friends help him beat the piss out of said state trooper.......all with no ramifications or serious inquiries from the people around her. She just dismisses it with the old cliche "you should see the other guy". Sloppy as hell writing.
I thought this was an odd scene, but didn't really find it unbelievable. They are in the middle of a harsh nowhere, so a bit more of a wild-west or "life sucks survavilist" type vibe in general. Didn't the dwi chick basically get off (again) with pretty minimal punishment. Who would be the one to report any of that? Navarro, who instigated it? The woman-beater and his friends who helped beat her up?
Mr President Elect
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Barrow is as far north as you can go, so we'll use that. The sun doesn't actually rise until January 23rd. However, during the 66 days of polar night, there are still around 3 hours of civil twilight every day between 12-3pm. It's a fair amount of light. For example, civil twilight is that light remaining for 30 minutes or so after sunset at this time of year.

The only places that have the true polar night are in the Arctic Circle.

The geography of this show is a bit of a mess. None of the numbers line up from the opening scene. Last sunset of the year on 12/17 which is probably impossible as it should be pretty symetrical with the solstice. The sun should come back up around 12/25. Add to that the coordinates and mileage from arctic circle which they also give (slightly conflict), are well north of Kivalina which has it's last* sunset on 12/11, so theirs should have been well before then.

Based on the coordinates of the lab, the city should be Wevok.

sunset/twilight times of the lab cords (close)
Mr President Elect
AG
AgShaun00 said:

There better be a point of the Russian bride besides he is an obvious idiot
Probably being catfished by Danvers. Not sure that adds much to the plot though.
Nagler
AG
ExpressAg11 said:

But I did forget that they said the scientists were killed then placed on the ice so the "killer" must've folded the clothes after. So now even more confused. I'd like to think the writers are smart enough to tie it all together, but maybe not.

Maybe Navarro's sister is the killer. She's awake. They could call her the Folded Clothes Killer.
SoTXAg09
AG
Did they give mileage for Ennis? Or just the guy hunting the caribou?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.