*** TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY ***

90,150 Views | 900 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by amg405
Tobias Funke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
David Happymountain said:

Season 2 was fine. Season 3 was a big letdown for me. They are about even as far as I am concerned. And LOL at starting this thread without an air date. Completely silly to begin it now, so I'll be back to give objective criticism when it comes back. Talk about attention-seeking behavior.

You can't be serious. What a dork
Max Power
AG
theSCHW4B said:

Just finished Season 1 for the first time. I somehow never got around to watching it even though I've seen season 3. Lives up to the hype for sure! McConaughey and Woody were amazing as expected.

My ONLY small complaint was their realization that the green ears of the spaghetti monster drawing must have come from the paint from the green house. Was that a complaint that anyone else had as they watched it for the first time, or did pretty much everyone just accept it? I didn't feel like scrolling back through the season 1 thread.
I didn't have any issues with it because of some of the context around the drawing. Remember that drawing was based on the description that was given to them by a little girl that was chased through the woods. It was also one of those things that was a small detail that had significant consequences. They didn't give much attention to that detail because of the description overall, the color of the ears isn't such a big deal when used in conjunction with spaghetti monster. If she had just said it was a man with green ears it might have been given more weight.

If I had a complaint, however minor, it would have been when Cohle meets up with Ledoux's partner at the bar. The guy didn't like the look of Cohle, said he could see his soul in his eyes. Really? With what was going on at their compound in the swamp he didn't like the look of Cohle when he's in business with a monster? If he just doesn't trust him/want to do business with him then fine. But making an assumption of the man's character when Ledoux is assaulting kids is laughable.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Terrible troll. Or moronic post. Maybe both.
zgolfz85
AG
still no news on release date?
TCTTS
AG
I literally just posted release date news earlier today, on the previous page.
zgolfz85
AG
TCTTS said:

I literally just posted release date news earlier today, on the previous page.

Indeed you did, ha thanks. Wish it was august and not October ha
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, especially considering they released the trailer so long ago. I thought for sure that meant a summer premiere, but I guess not.
Claude!
If they were poetic about, they'd release on the longest night of the year.
TCTTS
AG
Damn it.

I was beginning to wonder why we still didn't have a release date, considering it was originally supposed to drop in October.

So I'm guessing January now...

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
True Detective: Night Country
Season 4 (6 Episodes)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2356777/
January 14, 2024
HBO + Max

JWinTX
Only things I fear about this season is wokeness being introduced. That will be an ender for me.
Whos Juan
AG
JWinTX said:

Only things I fear about this season is wokeness being introduced. That will be an ender for me.

I mean, the wokeness boogieman doesn't bother me nearly as much as bad writing, which was Season 2's problem.

That being said, all seasons of this show are better than, say, 75% of the stuff that's out there.
TCTTS
AG
Season 4 (6 Episodes)
January 14, 2024
HBO / Max

Prosperdick
AG
TCTTS said:

Season 4 (6 Episodes)
January 14, 2024
HBO / Max

That last shot has been why I'll never go ice fishing, I don't care how thick the damn ice is.
CoolAggie
AG
Holy ****! Now that's how you trailer.
Sea Speed
AG
Did the other cop Kali Reis' acting seem really bad to anyone else in that trailer?
TCTTS
AG
From what little we see here, her acting certainly seems... limited. There are no doubt a number of other black actresses who could have pulled off tough/reserved/haunted, but with just a bit more charisma, so I don't know why they went with her. Maybe she plays better in context/the final product, and I'll reserve further judgment until then.
TCTTS
AG
Just looked her up and had no idea she was a professional boxer. Maybe they needed someone super athletic for the role, but even then I can think of plenty of options who could pull off the physicality and the acting...
Sea Speed
AG
It was almost embarrassing in one of the scenes in the trailer how bad her acting was unfortunately. Hope that doesn't ruin the final product. TD got a lot of good will after that first season for damn good reason but I dont think I have watched it after the season where Vince Vaughn dropped the word apoplectic, which also seems incredibly unnatural, like this woman in the trailer.
Noblemen06
AG
I haven't had an active HBO sub since House of the Dragon wrapped up...gonna have to get back in when this kicks off. Even with the last two seasons of TD not living up to S1, I get sucked into them.
Apache
AG
Quote:

From what little we see here, her acting certainly seems... limited.
What bugs me worse are the piercings on both sides of her face. It's a distraction even when she's not doing her "limited" acting.

Piercings like that are typically not allowed in actual police departments & it draws attention away from what you'd normally pay attention to when looking at someone. Bad all the way around.
Sea Speed
AG
Agreed the dimple piercings are stupid as hell
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Getting big Wind River vibes.
SockDePot
They've been showing season one all day, I guess to drum up interest for this season.

GD-it maybe the best single season of television ever.

Acting, story, cinematography, everything near perfect.

Nothing has even come close to season 1, but looking forward to season 4.
oragator
Season 3 is really good. Not first season good (not much in TV history is), but still better than 95 percent of what's on TV. Mahershala Ali is excellent. Much better than season 2.
SockDePot
oragator said:

Season 3 is really good. Not first season good (not much in TV history is), but still better than 95 percent of what's on TV. Mahershala Ali is excellent. Much better than season 2.

Season 3 is definitely worth watching.
TCTTS
AG
SockDePot said:

They've been showing season one all day, I guess to drum up interest for this season.

Yeah, IMO, hands down, it's the greatest single season of TV ever.

Also, just FYI, it somehow premiered 10 years ago next month. Once season four is done, since it's only six episodes, I may have to roll it right into a celebratory season one rewatch, for the umpteenth time.
JWinTX
TCTTS said:

SockDePot said:

Yeah, IMO, hands down, it's the greatest single season of TV ever.

Also, just FYI, it somehow premiered 10 years ago next month. Once season four is done, since it's only six episodes, I may have to roll it right into a celebratory season one rewatch, for the umpteenth time.

Agreed. I've watched that season probably 5x and it never ceases to amaze me at the greatness of each part of that show. Acting was superb, as was the writing. The song for the show was awesome. And the surroundings of SW Louisiana was just perfect. There has never been a better show in my opinion than True Detective Season 1. Only Breaking Bad can compare.
Chipotlemonger
AG
True Detective S1 talk never gets old. Perhaps the top show that comes to mind when I think of media I wish I could rewatch again for the first time.

Edit to add, yes, definitely the top of my list if I was asked that question.

The whole extraction shootout was just next level.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.