*** TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY ***

89,779 Views | 900 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by amg405
elfurioso92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, looks like I'll be skipping season 5.
ExpressAg11
AG

BassCowboy33
DannyDuberstein said:

SMFH. What a joke.

Not surprising. We've already discussed how it was the most-watched season in True Detective history. Seems logical that HBO would give the creators another round.
Murder Hornet
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

SMFH. What a joke.

Not surprising. We've already discussed how it was the most-watched season in True Detective history. Seems logical that HBO would give the creators another round.

In no world is s4 better than s1. Not even by 1%
Bird Poo
AG
KidDoc said:

YNWA_AG said:

Terrible.

She is butt ugly
Sex Panther
AG
Finally forced myself to finish this

What a terrible giant pile of ***** I didn't even buy in after the first episode and everyone was trying to convince themselves it was going to be awesome. The ****ty cgi and Billie Eilish theme was enough to set off my red flags that this was gonna be awful

Issa Lopez finally got to stick it to all the men she's hated in her life so good for her I guess
bonfarr
AG
I haven't even started watching this season since I get so depressed after watching anything Jodie Foster is in. Something about her voice or her demeanor just makes me sad and depressed. Glad your reviews say I'm not missing anything
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
jeffk
AG
We binged the season over two nights and actually enjoyed it. Lots of unexplained motivations and plot "happenings" but those didn't ruin anything for us. Not as tight of a story as S1 obviously, but none of the subsequent offerings have touched that for us, so we weren't expecting it to. Well-acted and the setting was spooky as hell. Knew nothing about the writer until I checked this thread this morning and honestly don't care that much.

I admittedly have a lower bar for "acceptable" when it comes to tv and movies than some other posters here. I enjoyed this one.
AJ02
AG
I wonder if, like someone else said, we would've liked it more if we had been able to binge? Less time between episodes to think and critique each one and find the holes.
TCTTS
AG
I cannot imagine watching episodes three and four back to back. They were hard enough to get through on their own. And personally, if anything, I needed a break each week from that setting. It was just brutal, and not in an interesting way.
jeffk
AG
Reading over the thread, several posters have mentioned things that they thought were unclear that I thought were well hashed-out when we binged it. For example, it was pretty obvious to us that Navarro was suffering from the same curse/mental illness that plagued her mom and sister and was struggling to not walk into the sea the whole series.
jeffk
AG
We did three episodes each night for two nights. It was intense, but doable.
MW03
AG
I'm gonna go back through Season 2 and 3 I think. See if #2 was really as bad as my memory, of if it suffered mainly from how good Season 1 was and expectations.
SoTXAg09
AG
MW03 said:

I'm gonna go back through Season 2 and 3 I think. See if #2 was really as bad as my memory, of if it suffered mainly from how good Season 1 was and expectations.

My wife and I actually watched season 2 before season 1. It was pretty good, but paled in comparison to 1, obviously. I was glad we watched them in that order…
Sex Panther
AG
Another thing about this season that was terrible and downright insulting, were the tie-ins to season 1.

I'm pretty sure it's been addressed and this is accurate - but it's so obvious this was originally written as a separate IP - HBO got it, liked it enough, and then told Lopez they wanted this to be the new season of True Detective. Then she (or them) went in and added in all the forced and stupid connections to season 1.

The strategy worked because people were talking and excited about seeing the Carcosa references and "OMG THAT'S RUST'S MOM"... so I can't blame them for taking that approach. But in the end, it was obviously all shoe-horned in and felt so cheap, and probably a big reason why the finale is getting trashed so much.

I almost turned it off when Clark said "Time is a flat circle"... what an insult to one of the greatest performances of all time.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Sex Panther said:

Another thing about this season that was terrible and downright insulting, were the tie-ins to season 1.

I'm pretty sure it's been addressed and this is accurate - but it's so obvious this was originally written as a separate IP - HBO got it, liked it enough, and then told Lopez they wanted this to be the new season of True Detective. Then she (or them) went in and added in all the forced and stupid connections to season 1.

The strategy worked because people were talking and excited about seeing the Carcosa references and "OMG THAT'S RUST'S MOM"... so I can't blame them for taking that strategy. But in the end, it was obviously all shoe-horned in and felt so cheap, and probably a big reason why the finale is getting trashed so much.

I almost turned it off when Clark said "Time is a flat circle"... what an insult to one of the greatest performances of all time.
This is what bothers me most about this season. The fact is they (HBO) really only have shot at tying a season to Carcosa/Tuttle/Travis Cohle and they blew it on this, hell they didn't even use the pedo symbol correctly. Awful direction and oversight. In season 5, if they wanted to shoot in Atlanta or another southern big city I suppose they could explore the Tuttle/pedo angle but a lot more thought and effort would need to go into it.
El Gallo Blanco
Sex Panther said:

The strategy worked because people were talking and excited about seeing the Carcosa references and "OMG THAT'S RUST'S MOM"... so I can't blame them for taking that strategy. But in the end, it was obviously all shoe-horned in and felt so cheap, and probably a big reason why the finale is getting trashed so much.

Very well said. And while we are on the subject, just one of MANY things that made TD1 great, was the casting. I felt like EVERY character was cast perfectly...and was convincing...the doped up aryan brotherhood guy that joined in the shootout in the projects may have been a tad over the top in intensity, but he was still legit creepy and it didn't take away from the show. But they nailed the rest. It's just a damn near perfect show.

Reggie Ledoux was a haunting character to me...and reminded me of some of the scary ex-con looking white trash guys you used to see in deep East TX or Louisiana back in the day. What a creepy, gritty character.

It is blasphemous to rank S4 over S1. Rotten Tomatoes has lost all credibility to me.
amg405
AG
TCTTS said:

Prosperdick said:

Welp, that's it. I was starting to doubt Alan Sepinwall, who I used to trust a lot with his reviews of previous shows, but his ridiuclous pop pom cheering over this abortion of a show officially makes him persona non grata.

I will no longer read or trust any of his future reviews of any shows. Way to sell out Alan, pathetic.

Yep, I used to love Sepinwall. He was the GOAT.

He started to lose me when he didn't care for Succession, though, I disagreed with him more and more since, and now this is the final straw for me.

I've actually seen quite a few favorable reactions to the finale on social media, and I legit don't understand what show/finale these people saw.

Wow, I stopped reading him a while back but he seriously thinks Succession is somehow… worse? What a joke. True Detective Season 4 is one of the worst wastes of time I've watched from HBO.
FL_Ag1998
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

Sex Panther said:

Very well said. And while we are on the subject, just one of MANY things that made TD1 great, was the casting. I felt like EVERY character was cast perfectly...and was convincing...the doped up aryan brotherhood guy that joined in the shootout in the projects may have been a tad over the top in intensity, but he was still legit creepy and it didn't take away from the show. But they nailed the rest. It's just a damn near perfect show.

Reggie Ledoux was a haunting character to me...and reminded me of some of the scary ex-con looking white trash guys you used to see in deep East TX or Louisiana back in the day. What a creepy, gritty character.

It is blasphemous to rank S4 over S1. Rotten Tomatoes has lost all credibility to me.

Its really not Rotten Tomatoes' fault, they're just an aggregator site. Its the critics who've either A) decided they'll bias their opinion in order to stay in the good graces of the media companies so they'll continue to get invited to premieres and receive early viewings, or B) bias their opinion based on social/political qualities of the show and/show creators.

There's simply too much evidence over the past couple of years to say this isn't true in cases like this.
Twisted Helix
Just finished it. Did they ever answer about Annie's tongue?
Thought it was ok but just glacially slow to develop.
ExpressAg11
AG
It reminded me a lot of the recent season of Justified: City Primeval. It was technically Justified in name, but didn't feel like the previous seasons at all. Season 4 of TD tried to tie back into season 1 but it was usually just lazy callbacks.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
For the last week I have been seeing nothing but positive buzz and reviews (except here) on the season and finale. And I've been thinking to myself "wtf is wrong with me? What did I miss?!? Why did it seem so so shi**y to me?"

It has been a beating seeing people talk this pile of shi* up as a good season.
AgShaun00
AG
Because of this thread I watched mare of east town. Now that is how a show should be done. Emotion in the last episode was unreal. Brilliant. Only good think about S4 was this show being mentioned.
Serious Lee
imagine how much ( shi**y ) television you have to watch in order to think this season of true detective was remarkable. Now consider that all a critic does is watch tv.

i dont think its a conspiracy, the bar is just that low in 2024.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
AgShaun00 said:

Because of this thread I watched mare of east town. Now that is how a show should be done. Emotion in the last episode was unreal. Brilliant. Only good think about S4 was this show being mentioned.

MoE was great.
amg405
AG
JWinTX said:

I finished this last night and I must say that it greatly disappointed me. The entire show was just a liberal commercial and it was like Victoria's Secret trying to tell us that having Kate Upton in lingerie is exactly the same as Megan Rapinoe or some trans model. No matter how much they wanted Season 4 to be attached to Season 1, its just never gonna be looked at in the same vein.

Got to be a troll, right? Otherwise it is the worst post in the history of Texags. Mark Turgeon era trolling.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.