*** TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY ***

90,132 Views | 900 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by amg405
VP at Pierce and Pierce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Claude! said:

How many of these reviewers get the entire season up front? Is it possible that watching it weekly instead of all at once leads to a different view of the work?
No, it is a group of people with poor taste and no backbone They know where their bread is buttered. To come out against a minority female driven show written by a minority female would be career suicide. If a white male this exact season of TV with HBO they would be crucified for all the plot holes and overall poor quality. But, since its done by satan worshiping chick, it is a masterpiece of deep art that can only be appreciated by people that drink tap water and have an IQ under 120.
El Gallo Blanco
TCTTS said:

Big corporation intentionally poisoning the air and water and hurting natives, most white guys bad to very bad, and a bunch of angry indigenous girl-power female characters forming a lynch mob to enact justice.

When you take one look at the showrunner, it's not that much of a leap to think it might have some left winged political undertones. Could be a coincidence, but I could also see Issa Lopez thinking she's doing the lord's work. Just look at her...no way she's not a die hard prog.

Not really worth arguing over...you either see it or you don't. I don't know that I see it to the extent the other poster does, but I got a subtle political/preachy vibe. Definitely not overt.
cr0wbar
AG
mavsfan4ever
AG
ExpressAg11 said:

I agree but does that instead mean all of these critics are terrible at their job and completely out of touch with regular viewers? I get everyone is allowed to have their own opinion on the show but don't see how any serious tv critic could come away with positive reviews from what we all watched.
Exactly, there is no way that ever single critic who saw the show early loved this garbage show. The reviews were so over the top that it seems like they were paid or biased in some way. So if HBO is not paying them, then there is something else at play. Maybe its as simple as HBO won't give them future early viewings if they trash the show? So to keep getting early viewings (which their followers will want), they praise the show in an over the top manner?

I just refuse to believe that these people genuinely thought the show was good. It makes no sense.
El Gallo Blanco
mavsfan4ever said:

ExpressAg11 said:

I agree but does that instead mean all of these critics are terrible at their job and completely out of touch with regular viewers? I get everyone is allowed to have their own opinion on the show but don't see how any serious tv critic could come away with positive reviews from what we all watched.
Exactly, there is no way that ever single critic who saw the show early loved this garbage show. The reviews were so over the top that it seems like they were paid or biased in some way. So if HBO is not paying them, then there is something else at play. Maybe its as simple as HBO won't give them future early viewings if they trash the show? So to keep getting early viewings (which their followers will want), they praise the show in an over the top manner?

I just refuse to believe that these people genuinely thought the show was good. It makes no sense.
Would they praise this show if Taylor Sheridan or Michael Mann wrote and directed it? There's your answer.
TCTTS
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
Train wreck of a story. Holes and contradictions everywhere. Bad characters. Didn't fit the theme of True Detective at all.
DannyDuberstein
AG
SMFH. What a joke.
Murder Hornet
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I agree. Given the onslaught of 100% positive reviews that came out before the show airing, there is definitely something going on. There is no way all the critics loved this piece of trash. Heck, the critics should be trashing it more than the audience given the terrible writing and terrible plot points that went nowhere (at least the audience could possible be won over by the cool/dark setting or something and think that makes up for the show being terrible). How seemingly 100% of the critics could praise this show before it came out seems unbelievable and that they were all trying to drum up interest for the show (and possibly being paid to do so).

It definitely was getting largely positive reviews from the advanced screeners which got my hopes up.

As the show went on, it seemed as if 1) the reviewers want to ensure they still get advance copies so give good reviews or 2) this series is better when binged one after the other. Then maybe the slow episodes are forgotten as the next one rolls
AJ02
AG
I never watched S2 bc I heard it was so bad.

Maybe now after S4 I should go watch it, and it will likely seem better than it actually was? I can't imagine it was worse than S4.
TCTTS
AG
I remember actually liking the characters and the overall vibe of season two, I just remember being disappointed by the plot/investigation. But yeah, maybe in light of season four being so bad, and without season two being in the immediate wake of season one, the whole thing plays better now. Definitely tempted to give it another shot...
BowSowy
AG
Man, there's one dude in here who is either incredibly turned on by Issa Lopez in horns or incredibly terrified. Bro can't stop talking about it
Tibbers
Well it is super creepy, isn't it?
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I like season 2. I think it was just such a jarring departure and is so bleak that people just hated it in comparison. But as a stand alone it works and is better than 3 and 4 in my recollection. I haven't seen it in a while so don't hold me to that tho.
evan_aggie
AG
AJ02 said:

Maybe now after S4 I should go watch it, and it will likely seem better than it actually was? I can't imagine it was worse than S4.

I don't remember any of them being this bad tbh, but maybe that feeling will always reset in 6 months.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
S1
-----large gap----
S3
S4
S2

FL_Ag1998
AG
Naw, Season 2 is better than this most recent one. Just owing to Rachel McAdams vs. the two female leads in S4 alone. Then you throw in the dogs**t writing in S4 and its definite that S4 is the worst.
El Gallo Blanco
AJ02 said:

It's got some cheesy moments but way better imo. Was better than most other shows on TV around that time. Coming right after S1 did it no favors.
El Gallo Blanco
BowSowy said:

Man, there's one dude in here who is either incredibly turned on by Issa Lopez in horns or incredibly terrified. Bro can't stop talking about it

Yep that's me. Stand by it. Crazy pretentious feminists usually don't make art that's right up my alley. Wish I had seen those images earlier. Would have skipped altogether fosho.
YNWA_AG
AG
El Gallo Blanco
YNWA_AG said:

DAFUUUUU???

I honestly do not understand...literally everyone i know thought this one was mediocre at best...several hated it. I was probably the most kind to it out of all of my friends and I consider it the worst.

I will give it this...first few eps showed promise and then it was a "well I've come this far, might as well stick it out and see if there are any crazy twists or if things somehow magically tie together" attitude. Crazy how many people I know who crapped all over it, but watched the whole thing just to see what happened.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
This feels like a terrible misstep
KidDoc
AG
YNWA_AG said:

Terrible.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Max Power
AG
YNWA_AG said:

MW03
AG
https://theshowgrid.com/series/tt2356777/true-detective-2014

https://episodehive.com/tv-shows/true-detective
Prosperdick
AG
Sounds like the beatings will continue until morale improves.
GreasenUSA
AG
I want more True Detective. I don't want more of THAT True Detective.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Welp, I won't be watching Season 5. I'll let others watch and then maybe give it a try if everyone is raving about it.
MW03
AG
Looking at the grids again, and consider this:

According to IMDb, the WORST episode of either season 2 or 3 was is tied for the BEST episode of season 4.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
MW03 said:

Looking at the grids again, and consider this:

According to IMDb, the WORST episode of either season 2 or 3 was is tied for the BEST episode of season 4.
"I see these plebes have no taste. Let's reup the Satan chick and do another year on disorganized mess that no one can criticize publicly." HBO execs (and politicians).
TCTTS
AG
Genuinely shocked by this news, as all signs were pointing to a new season/new creators format from here on out. I legit wonder if this is a response to all the Pizzolatto discourse as of late. He's gotten even more vocal on social media about his dislike of season four, and it's become a whole culture war thing online. So HBO might have come the conclusion that moving on from Lopez would only fueled the fire/be seen as capitulating to Pizzolatto and his ilk. If so, yet another reason he should have just kept his mouth shut.

Ugh.

Either way, I now have zero interest in this franchise going forward.
C@LAg
season 5 mystery to be solved:

why was season 5 greenlit with her in charge
VP at Pierce and Pierce
C@LAg said:

Is that a rhetorical question? I think its clear why she was brought back.
C@LAg
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

C@LAg said:

Is that a rhetorical question? I think its clear why she was brought back.

it was a snarky commentary post.

MW03
AG
TCTTS said:

Genuinely shocked by this news, as all signs were pointing to a new season/new creators format from here on out. I legit wonder if this is a response to all the Pizzolatto discourse as of late. He's gotten even more vocal on social media about his dislike of season four, and it's become a whole culture war thing online. So HBO might have come the conclusion that moving on from Lopez would only fueled the fire/be seen as capitulating to Pizzolatto and his ilk. If so, yet another reason he should have just kept his mouth shut.

Ugh.

Either way, I now have zero interest in this franchise going forward.

The worst/funniest thing about all of this is that they (Lopez and her team) are absolutely going to double down. Since she was cool swiping Wind River, maybe she'll make "Killers of the Flower Moon 2: Spiral Boogaloo"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.