*** TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY ***

90,156 Views | 900 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by amg405
f burg ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

f burg ag said:

TCTTS said:

I think they said she told him she wanted to move out (they were living together as a couple), so he got pissed and hit her. WHY she wanted to move out - beyond him obviously being an assh*le - wasn't discussed (that I can recall), but yeah, leaves the door open for some kind cult connection on his part. In fact, it wouldn't at all surprise me if he, Annie K, and Raymond Clark (the "killer") are all part of the underground spiral cult in some way. Then either Blair found out or has witnessed some sh*t, to the point of finally wanting to bail.
One last thing about Blair's BF. From the Ep 1 scene, he clearly has a deep disrespect for women….even being incredibly insulting to a female cop. IF he is in the spiral cult, I could see him having severe problems with Clark maybe bringing a women into the cult and having direct, at least partial, responsibly for Annie K's death. Kicking someone after they are dead from 30 stab wounds shows pretty extreme hate. Maybe Clark got the trailer to hide relationship from BF. And maybe it had not been lived in for a while because there was no need after she was dead.

Oooh, great call. Love this theory.

Same dude who owned the rig that Navarro poured the beer into. The fact that we saw him twice that episode tells me they're making sure we remember him.
Ok, it was not my last thing. Based on his rig and clearly not being in the research crew, I would bet BF works for the mining company. That gives him two reasons to hate Annie K…she is a woman and she protests the mine. From the credits, the protesting is clearly important.
TCTTS
AG
Makes total sense.
mazzag
AG
I kept waiting for a "quid pro quo" moment and Foster is the female equivalent of Eastwood, imo.
ExpressAg11
AG
Well this is making more sense now, and they weren't wrong.
TCTTS
AG
I was waiting for whatever it was and the second that dude came back to life I was like, "Yep, there it is."
mazzag
AG

And what's the connection? I love these guys on TikTok.
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8sXGLKa/
mazzag
AG
Am I the only person that thought Travis was her son and flipped out when she said they slept together?
mazzag
AG
And HBO collaborate hair cuts.
BurnetAggie99
I know it won't happen but if Matthew McConaughey some how makes a showing in season 4 people lose their minds
evan_aggie
AG
Fosters character seems forced. No one would be that ostensibly *****y and unreasonable.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

One thing that kind of bugs me about this show (and most detective shows)...

Do detectives/cops really just show up at their friends/fbuddy's apartment at random times of day for a quickie (or for seemingly no reason) and leave?

I think part of the reason for the gratuitous quickie scenes (besides "hey, it's HBO") is to show that there's not much to do up there during this time of year.

Some random thoughts:

Regarding the woman giving the weird "no" answer at the crab plant, that stuck out to me as well.

We're really supposed to believe a dude survived being encased in ice for 48-72 hours without there being something supernatural at play? Also, as previously pointed out, found it weird it wasn't mentioned again hardly. That would be one of the most nuts/scary/wtf things to ever witness and they didn't show any LEO's discuss or ask how the hell he survived.

The flashback of Danvers dancing with her ex-that guy looked an awful lot like the science teacher she talks to earlier in the episode…I'm too lazy to rewind but that's not him is it? (Edit-apparently not, if TCCTS's post about Danvers' family background is accurate).

TCTTS
AG
Officially, the science teacher is named Adam and Danvers ex-husband is named Jake. So definitely two different people. That said, in addition to Jake and her boss, it's implied that Danvers has slept with Adam as well.
Bunk Moreland
Proc92 said:

What's up with the overly sensitive f buddy of Navarro? Tough guy running a bar in a mining town in Alaska who also has solo candlelit baths, pines for his stolen toothbrush and gets forced into unwanted sex. Unfortunate writing for that dude.

As an unabashed bath taker, I laughed my ass off when I saw that scene. In fact, my wife walked in while I was watching Ep 1 on my tablet taking a super hot soak last week and did the whole "what are you watching over there?" bs with me.
KidDoc
AG
Ok I gotta interject some doctor stuff here re: the frozen fella.

There is some very interesting cases of people drowning in very cold water and being essentially dead for a good while then making a full neurological recovery. This caused docs to investigate using hypothermia to protect brain tissue during traumatic births when the infant came out with no pulse for an extended period of time. It seems to be remarkably effective at protecting brain tissue and is also the basis behind cryrogenics.

So it is somewhat plausible that someone could survive a deep freeze. As was mentioned in Ep1 they were going to have to cut off at least a leg due to frostbite and he was placed into a medically induced coma to allow some healing and pain management. In this kind of extreme trauma it would not be surprising if he is in this coma for 7+ days so that is why he cannot contribute to the investigation at this time.

Hypothermia to Treat Severe Brain Injury | National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (nih.gov)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
The paradoxical undressing is a real thing too with hypothermia. I learned about that last year at Wilderness Medicine conference in Yellowstone.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BassCowboy33
KidDoc said:

Ok I gotta interject some doctor stuff here re: the frozen fella.

There is some very interesting cases of people drowning in very cold water and being essentially dead for a good while then making a full neurological recovery. This caused docs to investigate using hypothermia to protect brain tissue during traumatic births when the infant came out with no pulse for an extended period of time. It seems to be remarkably effective at protecting brain tissue and is also the basis behind cryrogenics.

So it is somewhat plausible that someone could survive a deep freeze. As was mentioned in Ep1 they were going to have to cut off at least a leg due to frostbite and he was placed into a medically induced coma to allow some healing and pain management. In this kind of extreme trauma it would not be surprising if he is in this coma for 7+ days so that is why he cannot contribute to the investigation at this time.

Hypothermia to Treat Severe Brain Injury | National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (nih.gov)
I remember seeing a special on something like this somewhere back in the past. Maybe 60 Minutes? If I remember correctly, a girl fell into the ice and was under for 15 minutes. Responders pulled her out and revived her. The medical explanation was the body's ability to use super cold weather to store oxygen in the brain, which then slowly uses it in extreme cold. Could be a bit off, but the premise stuck with me.
MASAXET
AG
TCTTS said:

f burg ag said:

TCTTS said:

I think they said she told him she wanted to move out (they were living together as a couple), so he got pissed and hit her. WHY she wanted to move out - beyond him obviously being an assh*le - wasn't discussed (that I can recall), but yeah, leaves the door open for some kind cult connection on his part. In fact, it wouldn't at all surprise me if he, Annie K, and Raymond Clark (the "killer") are all part of the underground spiral cult in some way. Then either Blair found out or has witnessed some sh*t, to the point of finally wanting to bail.
One last thing about Blair's BF. From the Ep 1 scene, he clearly has a deep disrespect for women….even being incredibly insulting to a female cop. IF he is in the spiral cult, I could see him having severe problems with Clark maybe bringing a women into the cult and having direct, at least partial, responsibly for Annie K's death. Kicking someone after they are dead from 30 stab wounds shows pretty extreme hate. Maybe Clark got the trailer to hide relationship from BF. And maybe it had not been lived in for a while because there was no need after she was dead.

Oooh, great call. Love this theory.

Same dude who owned the rig that Navarro poured the beer into. The fact that we saw him twice that episode tells me they're making sure we remember him.
Nah, it's not about remembering him for plot purposes. We saw him twice in that episode so we for sure knew that he was twice the size of the lesbian who easily overpowered him. #ImAJokeNotWoke
Disco Stu
AG
I agree. I am having a hard time believing that she is this hard-nosed cop.
BassCowboy33
Disco Stu said:

I agree. I am having a hard time believing that she is this hard-nosed cop.
I'll say this. I know a woman, 5'03" 120 lbs, who is just about the meanest cop on her force. Peeps got mad respect for her. No-nonsense, investigative type. Would've fit in great in The Wire.

Can she beat up a full-grown dude? Heck no. Can she scare the dickens out of people through sheer force of personality? Absolutely.
El Gallo Blanco
mazzag said:

Am I the only person that thought Travis was her son and flipped out when she said they slept together?
Ha I immediately hit pause and went to google. Thought to myself, "this must be the shocking scene in episode 2 I've heard about".
El Gallo Blanco
Ervin Burrell said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

One thing that kind of bugs me about this show (and most detective shows)...

Do detectives/cops really just show up at their friends/fbuddy's apartment at random times of day for a quickie (or for seemingly no reason) and leave?

We're really supposed to believe a dude survived being encased in ice for 48-72 hours without there being something supernatural at play? Also, as previously pointed out, found it weird it wasn't mentioned again hardly. That would be one of the most nuts/scary/wtf things to ever witness and they didn't show any LEO's discuss or ask how the hell he survived.
Maybe the cellular repair micro-organisms being researched are THAT good.
Southlake
When Danvers was being banged by the Captain, I almost expected it to be on the top of a pinball machine…
cr0wbar
AG
Got around to watching last night - I audibly gasped at the Travis Cohle nugget. Quickly explained it to my gf "That's Rust's dad, or brother! They're related, it's all canon!" Good call on the Tuttle name cameo too - I had to go back and do some S1 research. Danvers likes getting that strange dick!

evan_aggie
AG
I had been thinking about this more and based on some of the previous theories..

It actually starts to add up that the micro-organisms are causing people to act strange and/or seem to kill themselves. The bleeding from the ears, and scratch of the eyes.

Even the death of Annie may be explained by: she got infected, went insane / psycho and she was stabbed 60 times out of fear and kicked after she was dead to MAKE SURE she was dead.
Leggo My Elko
AG
I just don't think they are going full on Sc-Fi with this show.
Leggo My Elko
AG
This is off topic so it needs no back and forth here. But there is a real life missing persons case in my neck of the woods that might involve paradoxical undressing. The details or lack there of in this case are very sad and mysterious.

Jason Landry Case
El Gallo Blanco
evan_aggie said:

I had been thinking about this more and based on some of the previous theories..

It actually starts to add up that the micro-organisms are causing people to act strange and/or seem to kill themselves. The bleeding from the ears, and scratch of the eyes.

Even the death of Annie may be explained by: she got infected, went insane / psycho and she was stabbed 60 times out of fear and kicked after she was dead to MAKE SURE she was dead.

I could see that for sure. But I definitely subscribe to the theory in your top paragraph. Not "supernatural" per se, but still in the realm of sci-fi.
mazzag
AG
Dude, really
Max Power
AG
Rewatched the second episode and there's something up with Hank and Peter. Hank bringing up blood is blood back at the rink to me implies he's telling Peter family is most important. Peter knows something Hank did, and it relates to the Annie K murder, they're both hiding something.

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I think I figured out the deal between Danvers and Navarro. I'm guessing Navarro messed up the case against the driver who killed Danvers' husband and son. Navarro messed up and the guilty got off. Since she messed that up for Danvers, Danvers in turn doesn't have any interest in helping Navarro solve the Annie K case. Since they know the cases are linked they'll work together on just this case. When she shows up at Navarro's house and asks where she moved the cans indicates that Danvers has been there before, they used to be friends and fell out hard. Danvers tells Peter to go watch the bodies so he doesn't **** up, I'm guessing she means Navarro did **** up.

Sorry if those have already been discussed, but that jumped out at me.
TCTTS
AG
They mention the case Navarro screwed up in the past, when she and Danvers were partners, but I can't remember the name of it. Based on next week's preview, though, it looks like we're getting a flashback to the screwup/incident. So I'm not sure it connects to the death of Danvers' husband/son, but I could be wrong. That said, you're definitely right about them once having been friends but then falling out hard.

As for Hank, yeah, something fishy is going on there for sure. He seems to be purposely slacking on the current case, and obviously didn't want Danvers to have the Annie K files either.
f burg ag
AG
I think Hank is merely a useful idiot for someone trying to keep things under wraps. He is clearly an idiot based on the very transparent scam he is falling for. The abusive side of him might just be a smokescreen and ultimately a result of his own insecurity….or being raised the same. I don't think anyone in a dark, covert cult would let him close to the truth.
TCTTS
AG
Good points.
MASAXET
AG
TCTTS said:

They mention the case Navarro screwed up in the past, when she and Danvers were partners, but I can't remember the name of it. Based on next week's preview, though, it looks like we're getting a flashback to the screwup/incident. So I'm not sure it connects to the death of Danvers' husband/son, but I could be wrong. That said, you're definitely right about them once having been friends but then falling out hard.

As for Hank, yeah, something fishy is going on there for sure. He seems to be purposely slacking on the current case, and obviously didn't want Danvers to have the Annie K files either.
I think the case reference was Wheeler but may be misremembering
Faustus
I enjoyed season 1 of Fortitude, but the latter seasons lost me.
TCTTS
AG
Great podcast/episode...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.