*** TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY ***

90,123 Views | 900 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by amg405
El Gallo Blanco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Txgunrnnr said:

TCTTS said:

Yeah, why? He wasn't born in Texas but he's lived in Austin for 15 years…

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/inside-fargo-creator-noah-hawley-austin-office-1235646944/

What agdoc said. Don't call someone a Native Texan when they weren't born in Texas, especially when they were born in New York.
Prosperdick
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
Claude!
I think y'all just like to argue.
BQRyno
AG
I mean, words have meaning.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I was born in Mexico right across the border, but I did all my schooling in Texas my whole life, and lived in Texas "officially" for 8 years after high school.

Would I qualify as a Texas native? Honestly curious, cause when people ask where I'm from, I say Texas.

(Though depending on the level of small talk, I'll actually explain I'm Mexican but lived on the border.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Admittedly the term native can be tricky, because plenty of people are born in Texas but immediately move to another state, whereas plenty of people live in Texas most of their life, but moved to Texas as a baby.
TCTTS
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Because born in Texas is literally the definition of Texas native.

JFC. Whatever. I simply meant he'd been there a long time.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, side note, had no idea Michelle Rodriguez is from San Antonio. Always thought of her as Dominican, but we can definitely claim her.
Ag_07
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I was born in Mexico right across the border, but I did all my schooling in Texas my whole life, and lived in Texas "officially" for 8 years after high school.

Would I qualify as a Texas native? Honestly curious, cause when people ask where I'm from, I say Texas.

(Though depending on the level of small talk, I'll actually explain I'm Mexican but lived on the border.)

Nope
El Gallo Blanco
Brian Earl Spilner said:

VP at Pierce and Pierce
Ag_07 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Nope
Correct. I believe it is in the Texas constitution (written by Nolan Ryan) that one must born on Texas soil to be a native Texas.
El Gallo Blanco
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

Ag_07 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Nope
Correct. I believe it is in the Texas constitution (written by Nolan Ryan) that one must born on Texas soil to be a native Texas.
I chuckled...

The real answer, is you have to either (a) get here around Kindergarten, and stay here, or (b) be born here, and spend your life here at least through Junior High.
cr0wbar
AG
20+ replies notification

"Oh wow - we must be sharing some interesting tidbits about NIGHT COUNTRY"

hoosierAG
AG
In fairness, the debate of what is a native Texan is a lot better than talking about this awful series
BQRyno
AG
The disappointment of this season did drive me to watch season 1 for the first time since it aired. So damn good.
Ag_07
AG
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

Ag_07 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Nope

No...It's the dictionary that says that
GrapevineAg
AG
I was born in L.A. and lived there for all of 6 months before moving to Texas. I've lived here for about 54.5 years now. My wife says I'm not a Texan. I guess I'm SoCal.
TCTTS
AG
Don't listen to the haters…

Leggo My Elko
AG
So I was fairly optimistic on this show episodes 1-2 and that came to a screeching halt with episode 3. I've avoided this thread having not watched ep 4 yet. I kind of just don't have the motivation and lost interest in the story (or lack of). Curiosity got the better of me and have pursued the recent comments..... we're auguring about being from Texas so....The show sucks? That's a bummer, thought is had promise at the start.
El Gallo Blanco
GrapevineAg said:

I was born in L.A. and lived there for all of 6 months before moving to Texas. I've lived here for about 54.5 years now. My wife says I'm not a Texan. I guess I'm SoCal.

You're native Texan bro.
C@LAg
El Gallo Blanco said:

GrapevineAg said:

You're native Texan bro.
incorrect..

unless you were brought up with breast milk produced from, or formula mixed with, our glorious Texas waters from day one of your birth... you are not a Native Texan.
Max Power
AG
Leggo My Elko said:

Curiosity got the better of me and have pursued the recent comments..... we're auguring about being from Texas so....The show sucks? That's a bummer, thought is had promise at the start.

Aren't wild left turns half the fun of this entire site?

Ag_07
AG
So some of you are claiming being native Texans without being born in Texas. So you're identifying as something you're not?

That's...umm...interesting.

Your secret is safe with me.
Seven Costanza
AG
To further derail this thread, I'd like to point out that to be considered a "gato" in Madrid, you have to be born in Madrid, both of your parents have to have been born in Madrid, and both of their parents have to have been born in Madrid.
C@LAg
Seven Costanza said:

To further derail this thread, I'd like to point out that to be considered a "gato" in Madrid, you have to be born in Madrid, both of your parents have to have been born in Madrid, and both of their parents have to have been born in Madrid.
In a perfect world, you would also have to be conceived within the boundaries of Texas.

none of this "what happens in Vegas" type stuff.
TCTTS
AG
Guess that makes me a Texas gato.
The Dog Lord
AG
Back to TD: I'm not hating this season as much as most. I will say the first two episodes hooked me pretty well whereas the last 2 haven't kept the momentum I was hoping for. The last 2 could still make it a pretty good season overall though if they stick the landing.

I honestly wish this wasn't a True Detective season because I think it could have been a better sci-fi suspense show/movie if they focused more on the mysterious research angle.
SoTXAg09
AG
I've really enjoyed this season, as has everybody I've talked to. One even said episode 4 was his favorite. I needed 30 min or so to come down after the last episode and my wife barely slept.

This forum is basically disappointed if any series is not on the level of the first season , The Wire or Breaking Bad. But they have no problem watching every episode and *****ing the whole way.
TCTTS
AG
You needed 30 minutes to come down after that?

You must be inconsolable after shows with an actual pulse.
SoTXAg09
AG
Inconsolable is an extremely odd adjective to choose… I wasn't curled up in a corner like Heiss. But I suppose it's par for the course for pseudo intellectual bull**** around here.

Edit: and the fact that six people starred it as if it made any sense at all proves my point even more.
TCTTS
AG
It was a joke, dude. Holy crap.

That said, you couldn't simply share your opinion without sh*t-talking the entire board - twice - despite the fact that so many people here have gone out of their way not to compare this season to season one, and have explained in detail exactly why the show isn't working for them. When I read through this thread I don't at all see a bunch of mindless b*tching and moaning. Instead, what I see are bunch of people who genuinely wanted to like this season, are frustrated that they don't, and are doing a reasonable, level-headed job of explaining why. Are there a handful of people here who won't ever be satisfied? Sure, but they're few and far between, IMO.

Now, if you'll excuse us, we have more pseudo intellectual bullsh*t to discuss, and perfectly sensible jokes to make that clearly go over certain people's heads.
SoTXAg09
AG
Well I apologize for choosing violence then. Certainly didn't appear to be a joke, and still doesn't make sense.

And regarding this forum, broad strokes don't apply to everyone, and I didn't mean for it to. But in 17 pages, we have people complaining about dimple piercings in the trailer, to allegations of "wokeness" after episode 1, then basically "this show sucks" after each episode. In general , there appears to be a negativity bias. That's my opinion. And I find it odd to devote 6+ hours to a show that's not enjoyable.
BowSowy
AG
Coming in hot and angry, relax dude.

Like TCTTS, I don't understand what it was about episode 4 that made you need a cool down. Was it the jump scare?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.