*** TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY ***

90,147 Views | 900 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by amg405
AggieArchitect04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just stopping in to say that I've been watching and love this show.
Max Power
AG
Based on how this season is going and because it's almost over I decided to revisit The Outsider. I had forgotten how much I liked this show. Because of the supernatural element, amongst other similarities, to that show and the current season of TD I figure they're good counterpoints to each other. The Outsider is just a better show, it's not without flaws but it does a better job at basically every turn.. The feeling of dread is more pronounced, I've seen it before and I'm still intrigued episode by episode and minute to minute. I didn't come here specifically to pile onto the criticisms of TD season 4 as much to recommend revisiting The Outsider or watch it for the first time if you haven't seen it before.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Any guesses as to how this thing is going to end? Is "To Be Continued" into the next season a possibility?
Bunk Moreland
Agasaurus Tex said:

Any guesses as to how this thing is going to end? Is "To Be Continued" into the next season a possibility?

That would be the greatest troll. Well, 2nd greatest. The greatest would be that and screen goes to black and the screen says "finale written and directed by Veena Sud
JCRiley09
AG
There will be a gratuitous action sequence to make up for the lack of story.

Just a couple people getting shot at the end of the last episode had a few of you saying "season saved."
TCTTS
AG
Agasaurus Tex said:

I would say there's, like, an 8% chance of that happening. Even though Pizzolatto is no longer involved, they're almost assuredly going to stick to the anthology format and do a completely new story next season, if there is a fifth season (and ratings would indicate that there will be).

As for predictions, I have no clue. What's sadder is that I don't really care. Honestly, I'm kind of glad that, after tonight, I don't have to spend anymore time with these characters and I never have to visit this version of Alaskan "Night Country" again.

That said, for some reason the trailers did gave away a number of shots that we now know are from the finale, so I guess I do at least have a vague idea of what to expect. I just can't see any of it making for a satisfying conclusion, though. Whether it's Clarke or not, this has to be the least interesting serial killer in a murder mystery maybe ever? Which sucks, because the setup/corpsicle had so much potential, it was just completely botched in the aftermath.
JCRiley09
AG
It ends with Rust Cohle holding a snow globe
Prosperdick
AG
TCTTS said:

Agasaurus Tex said:

I would say there's, like, an 8% chance of that happening. Even though Pizzolatto is no longer involved, they're almost assuredly going to stick to the anthology format and do a completely new story next season, if there is a fifth season (and ratings would indicate that there will be).

As for predictions, I have no clue. What's sadder is that I don't really care. Honestly, I'm kind of glad that, after tonight, I don't have to spend anymore time with these characters and I never have to visit this version of Alaskan "Night Country" again.

That said, for some reason the trailers did gave away a number of shots that we now know are from the finale, so I guess I do at least have a vague idea of what to expect. I just can't see any of it making for a satisfying conclusion, though. Whether it's Clarke or not, this has to be the least interesting serial killer in a murder mystery maybe ever? Which sucks, because the setup/corpsicle had so much potential, it was just completely botched in the aftermath.
One thing we pretty much know for sure is that Gene Wilder's daughter, who portrays Blair, will certainly play a pivotal role. Is she the killer, who knows, but there's just no way she isn't caught up in all this with how hard the show tried to show her but not show her.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm ready to get this one over with.
TCTTS
AG
Not that it really matters, but that Gene Wilder bit ended up being BS. She's not actually his daughter.
FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

Agasaurus Tex said:

Yep, based on my level of anticipation before the season started this is the most disappointed I've been in a show in a looong time.
Prosperdick
AG
TCTTS said:

Not that it really matters, but that Gene Wilder bit ended up being BS. She's not actually his daughter.
OK you're right, it looks like his daughter's name is Katharine Wilder while the actress in True Detective is Kathryn Wilder. I guess someone made the assumption and it ran like wildfire.

Regardless, I still bet she plays a critical role tonight.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. Too many random appearances not to have an impact in some way.
Old Tom Morris
That was worse than I even imagined. How did this ridiculous story make it onto a whiteboard, much less past that stage?
JCRiley09
AG
Was this the first episode where characters acted cold?
beagle2009
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That finale, much like the season, was long, overstuffed, and boring.

And to the surprise of no one, none of the supernatural stuff was answered or even addressed. No explanation for the visions, the voices, Twist and Shout, whatever "she" is... nothing. It was all just window dressing and ultimately went nowhere. Hell, most of the plotlines went nowhere.

This felt like there was a kernel of an idea that was stretched out to six episodes, and had the True Detective label slapped onto it. The whole thing felt amateur. (Outside of the cinematography.)

Oh, and that scene of all the women forming up behind the lady explaining what they did, that was so ****ing cheesy. I can only hope that was intended to come across that way, cause that was seriously eyeroll inducing.

What a waste of six hours of my time.
BowSowy
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

That was worse than I even imagined. How did this ridiculous story make it onto a whiteboard, much less past that stage?
That payoff was even worse than I could've imagined. Kudos to the people who called Blair early on. It would've been more satisfying if they just went supernatural with it.

So the whole impetus for the vigilante killing was the scientists leaving incriminating evidence just sitting out, at the top of their desks? The case really was just window dressing for the psychological thriller they wanted to show.
FL_Ag1998
AG
This story would have been better served if they had simply let it be a stand alone limited series instead of making it a season of True Detective. And then they compounded that mistake by tying it into Season 1 with the spirals, etc. Dumb mistake that set up expectations that were bound to lead to disappointment with this plot.

Other than that, there was some nucleus of an interesting spooky mystery, but overall that was done in by some lazy writing, some boring writing, and some just plain bad writing.
BassCowboy33
AggieArchitect04 said:

Just stopping in to say that I've been watching and love this show.

That was a pretty kickarse finale.
Seven Costanza
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Was this the first episode where characters acted cold?

Yes, but only when indoors. Outside they appeared to be reasonably comfortable.
Proc92
Those pesky Tuttles! Time is a flat circle, indeed.
Prosperdick
AG
What an absolute ridiculous finale. Nothing explained at all.

One-eyed polar bear...it's just a stuffed toy on a mattress.

The seismic riff between Danvers and Navarro that split them apart for years where Danvers didn't even want to discuss it. Oh, it turns out Danvers was about to shoot Wheeler before Navarro did it. I guess the animosity was because Navarro stupidly shot him from the wrong side so it was harder to make it look like a suicide. Wow, that makes a ton of sense.

The scientists frozen in ice with terrified looks on their faces...well, that's how you would look if a bunch of angry women with guns told you strip and go out on the ice...duh! Makes total sense.

My wife summed it up afterwards..."thanks for making me watch this stupid show."

If the podcast The Watch sugar coats this turd in the punchbowl finale I'll know they are just corporate shills told what to say to help the bottom line of these shows.

What a farce.

ETA - I meant The Prestige TV Podcast, not The Watch where Andy Greenwald actually has been fairly critical of many of the flaws of the show. I've just now provided more oversight of my post than anyone involved with this silly self-absorbed show.
TAMUallen
AG
The worst season of 4 true detective seasons by far.

What a waste of ****ing time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh, and another thing that bugged me. Danvers leaves the room to let Navarro kill Clark, and a few minutes later, suddenly she's yelling at her that he was important to leave alive as their only witness?

Seriously, the writing on this show was so terrible.
Proc92
Why did they rip out their own eyes in terror and die before they froze? "She" wanted to take them? What killed these guys?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/true-detective-season-4-ending-who-killed-annie-scientists-1235908415/

This should tell you everything.

Quote:

At what point in your writing process did you know who had killed Annie and what happened to the Tsalal scientists? Can you take us inside your process for how those things were related?

We know who put those men in the ice. What happened after the men ran into the ice? That's up to you.

I knew the moment that I wrote, "Men disappear in an Arctic research station…" that there would be a body part that would connect with an older crime. So that's how it all started. And then I thought, "What is going to be interesting?" Lynch absolutely took care of ears forever.

He sure did.

There is a Japanese movie by a very demented and incredible Japanese director [Takashi Miike] that did that movie "Audition." And there's a tongue actually flapping on the floor in that movie, and it's an image that stays with you. I thought that that would be a nice reference. Nobody has caught it up until this moment.

Basically, no thought was given to anything. She just threw **** in there that she thought would be neat.

How did HBO give this hack a show?
BowSowy
AG
I am trying to wrap my head around the tongue and what the show was trying to show.

Did Hank cut it out? If so, how did it end up at Tsalal?

Did the Tsalal guys cut it out? If so, why keep that around? Well, they were dumb enough to keep incriminating evidence on their desks after 6 years.

How did it end up under the table? If the cleaning ladies put it there, why would she lie about that when she admitted to everything else? Did a random Tsalal scientist throw it under the table when they were being Seal Team Sixed?

I know that the real answer is that the show wanted it to represent silencing a native activist. But man, there were so many ways to go about that and they chose the most convoluted and nonsensical approach. And they kept going back to it.
TAMUallen
AG
Proc92 said:

Why did they rip out their own eyes in terror and die before they froze? "She" wanted to take them? What killed these guys?

Don't you get it?! That's what's so edgy and catchy about it... except it isn't and is just a terribly written/produced true detective season.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You give it too much credit. The real answer is the tongue was a random reference to something, and nothing more.
Old Tom Morris
Proc92 said:

Stupid writers killed them
Proc92
The video in the station taken right before the native laundromat biker gang cut the power showed someone saying "she's awake". The dude in the hospital told Denver's she's awake. Makes no sense.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Old Tom Morris
Prosperdick said:

What an absolute ridiculous finale. Nothing explained at all.

One-eyed polar bear...it's just a stuffed toy on a mattress.

The seismic riff between Danvers and Navarro that split them apart for years where Danvers didn't even want to discuss it. Oh, it turns out Danvers was about to shoot Wheeler before Navarro did it. I guess the animosity was because Navarro stupidly shot him from the wrong side so it was harder to make it look like a suicide. Wow, that makes a ton of sense.

The scientists frozen in ice with terrified looks on their faces...well, that's how you would look if a bunch of angry women with guns told you strip and go out on the ice...duh! Makes total sense.

My wife summed it up afterwards..."thanks for making me watch this stupid show."

If the podcast The Watch sugar coats this turd in the punchbowl finale I'll know they are just corporate shills told what to say to help the bottom line of these shows.

What a farce.

Let's not forget that the basis for everything was scientists discovering magical microorganisms that cure everything and the only way to harvest them faster is for the local mining company to increase its pollution tenfold. Wtf is that?
BowSowy
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You give it too much credit. The real answer is the tongue was a random reference to something, and nothing more.
The interview you posted answered the question. Basically, the cleaner ladies ****somehow**** came upon it. Like everything else with this show, hand wave the "why" so you can have a cool element. So freaking dumb.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.