Avengers Endgame *** SPOILERS THREAD *** YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

170,874 Views | 1502 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good:
-Cap with Mjolnir. Also him, planted like a tree in front of Thanos the biggest army in the universe (that is one of my favorite quotes). Also the elevator scene. I couldn't decide whether he was going to say "if anyone wants to get off..." or "hail hydra".
-I really thought that Cap getting killed in action was the "right" ending, but this worked, too, and no one deserved a, happy ending more.
-Stark's ending was done really well. A lot of tough moments, but "you can rest now"... they probably have to mop the theater after every showing because of that one.
-Lots of players got their hero moments. I definitely lost track of some things during the stone retrieval phase, but overall it never descended into noise which was impressive, and now it all makes sense.
-Thicc Thor was hilarious at first, and although I think maybe they went back to that particular well once or twice too often for jokes, I'm actually ok that they left him fat
-Are there any movies with more tear-jerking scenes than Endgame? There were some doozies.
-Didn't feel rushed or slow
-The final battle was awesome and epic, I echo the people who said that this is one of the most epic battle scenes in cinema. I also think they did a really good job of working in some plot points and lulls in the action.
-Natasha achieved apotheosis. Without ever having her own movie, she sneakily permeated the series almost as much as Iron Man for me, and this was the perfect way for her story to end

Bad:
-Captain Marvel. I didn't see her movie and don't know anything about the actress/character, but what a blah portrayal of a cardboard cutout action hero. Plus she has the Superman problem of being too overpowered for plots to work. Should I have cheered when Thanos punched her face off, was that wrong?
-The girl power scene was too much like when Family Guy does something mildly amusing but it goes on way too long as a metajoke, only I don't do drugs so it's not funny. Looked more like a marketing poster than a real scene halfway through a battle.
-Lest I be accused of being too politically sensitive, I thought the gay guy in the counseling session and the girl power scene in Infinity War were organic to the film and had no issues whatsoever with them, and I have no issues with Wanda because even though she is super powerful she also earned the power and has real flaws.
-I don't go looking for plot holes in movies like this and I don't worry about them very much, but there are a LOT of plot holes. It's probably good that they are wrapping things up and moving on, because in spite of a virtuoso performance overall I think there's just too many cases where powers have to be dialed up or down, timeline issues, etc. to keep it up any longer.

Overall, fantastic end to a real journey. This had the scale and depth required to cap off a series like this in an emotionally satisfying way. If episode IX is half the movie this was, I'll be pretty pleased.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
MBAR
AG
AMW2010 said:

That just made me think... in the trailer fury says, nice to finally meet you spider man..... both fury and peter were at starks funeral....

I thought about that to but either they never meet because fury sneaks off or that line from the trailer was just fake and not an actual part of far from home.
AMW2010
AG
True true... he was lurking on the porch lol
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Ag Since 83
AG
mslags97 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well, they also say you can't change the past. Does that mean Peggy never married someone else?

You never see anything with her "husband" in other movies, right? Then maybe Cap is her husband, and he just carefully avoids contact with others to keep any timeline problems from happening.
So then old Peggy withholds information from Cap in Winter Soldier? And her niece flirts with a man she knows to be her uncle?

I think it has to be another timeline. Even if there's a way to do it without any true paradoxes, it undermines some of the character arcs of First Avenger - Winter Soldier - Civil War, plus the Agent Carter TV show. (Speaking of, nice to see Jarvis!)
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
AgfromHOU
AG
Feige has already said RiRi Williams will be Ironheart and get her own movie. She's the female version of Iron Man, and came about when Tony died a few years ago.
Ulrich
Yeah. I'll give some room for creative license in fantasy, but it's getting pretty bonkers.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Potts could appear again
They'll have to re-cast since the actress stated recently this is her last movie in the MCU.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
PatAg
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

Potts could appear again
They'll have to re-cast since the actress stated recently this is her last movie in the MCU.
good
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Gomer95
AG
Such a great movie.

Rocket = "Build-A-Bear"
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Old Jock 1997
AG
I wonder if Endgame was the ultimate plan when Iron Man premiered over a decade ago, and they were building toward this moment over 20 some odd films, or if this finale morphed into what it was over the last few films?

I really liked the play between Iron Man and Cpt America. They never really reconciled after Civil War. Iron Man made it known that he was right, CA was wrong if they had built the Avengers-centric security network, Thanos doesn't happen. CA seemed to accept that. (I'm not sure they're right, but I digress.)

Tony lived his entire life, even as Iron Man, always being at least partially self-centered and egotistical. That softened a little in the scene with his dad Howard. He finally grasped that it was about more than he; he realized his dad's shortcomings had become his own, but that his dad meant well, as did he. He grew up a lot in that scene.

The ultimate way for this to play out was when Dr. Strange gave Iron Man the single finger the only way to win was for Tony to finally deny self and sacrifice himself for everyone else. It was a 1 in 14 million shot that Tony would do it...but he did.

Simply fantastic. I had tears streaming.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
c-jags
C@LAg said:

AgfromHOU said:

Feige has already said RiRi Williams will be Ironheart and get her own movie. She's the female version of Iron Man, and came about when Tony died a few years ago.
ugh . missed that. very disappointing.

Spider-Man far from home is the last MCU movie I'm planning on seeing in theaters.

It's been a great run but I'm done with this whole thing. Marvel's current lineup is trash.

Whether it's captain Marvel, kamala kahn, Mockingbird, or she-Thor, every time they have dialogue about feminism, it sounds like trigglypuff wrote it as fan fiction.

I say this as somebody who supports feminism pretty strongly before we got to the third wave.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
c-jags
C@LAg said:

I absolutely despised the whole storyline of fem-Thor. It was a ridiculous concept that was lamely executed.

I can support Thor being unworthy, but making Jane worthy was ridiculous.

That said, I really did love the final arc and how that played out. it doe snot save the storyline, but they did write a fitting end to the story.

I'm not up to date. Her dialogue was just so terrible I bowed out.
imjustsayin
AG
So, going back at some of the other films, tony Stark is seen holding his right arm as if some type of blunt pain is there... he even asks in civil war, "my right arm is numb, is that normal?" Wonder if this was foreshadowing.
Claude!
Quote:

The Avengers could have actually ended up making things worse for everyone.
Well, maybe for half of everyone. For the other half of everyone, things got a lot better.
DVC2010
AG
C@LAg said:

Old Jock 1997 said:

. They never really reconciled after Civil War. Iron Man made it known that he was right,
he was.

You will never convince me.
rhutton125
AG
Left arm, actually. There was a video saying that the left arm was a huge foreshadowing but since Tony's gauntlet was a right hand gauntlet, I think it's just a coincidence.

Kevin Feige hasn't promised a Riri Williams Ironheart, but a year ago he hinted there could be other versions of characters we love. I think we see that with Captain Falcon.

She-Thor is ridiculous to me because Jane Foster quit being Thor's girlfriend about 40 years prior and was considered unworthy then by failing some Asgardians trials. Making her worthy later seems like reaction to her being in the MCU, which she now isn't. So I doubt we ever see anything like that.
DVC2010
AG
Time heist critique:
Trip 1: the whole team travels somewhere they can find and steal tons of Pym particles.

Trips 2 through 6: they all go gather the stones, one at a time if necessary.

Trip 7: when they get to Vormir, someone has to sacrifice what he loves. Tony chucks his ego into the canyon, and everyone goes home happy.

They had 2 super geniuses and a professional thief, and they couldn't work that one out.
PatAg
AG
He was making a joke about having a heart attack, hence the arm being numb. This stuff aint that deep
AgfromHOU
AG
All of this comics talk, should we have a dedicated thread to just comics? DC, Marvel, Image, etc?
Claude!
c-jags said:

C@LAg said:

AgfromHOU said:

ugh . missed that. very disappointing.

Spider-Man far from home is the last MCU movie I'm planning on seeing in theaters.

It's been a great run but I'm done with this whole thing. Marvel's current lineup is trash.

Whether it's captain Marvel, kamala kahn, Mockingbird, or she-Thor, every time they have dialogue about feminism, it sounds like trigglypuff wrote it as fan fiction.

I say this as somebody who supports feminism pretty strongly before we got to the third wave.
That's kind of where I am. Strong female characters are great. Stories about strong female characters are great. But when the focus of the story is about how strong and female a strong female character is (and did I mention female?), it kind of loses the thread of the superhero story.

Speaking to the She-Thor story specifically, the thing that bugged me about it was the fact that she became Thor. I'd be fine with her as the God of Thunder (or Goddess...I'm not picky there) after He-Thor was found unworthy, but Thor isn't a title. It's a dude's name. It's like firing Your VP of Marketing Bob Smith and replacing him with Jane Jones, then insisting on calling her Bob Smith.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Original Avengers:

Iron Man: dead
Black widow: dead
Thor: fat
Captain America: Old and retired
Hulk: Damaged right arm. Permanent?
Clint: Ready to retire
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TexasAggie_02
AG
No one noticed Hope saying "we're on it, CAP" and Lang giving her a nod.

She gave him **** in Ant man and the wasp for saying "cap" and "if only cap could see you now"
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
DVC2010
AG
Good catch. I can't wait to see it again.
Ulrich
C@LAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah same. I no longer feel like the MCU is required viewing. It's peaked at this point.
I wonder to what level the MCU future box office will perform at.

I am sure this sentiment is not unique to diehards. I think some level of finality is achieved by this movie that subsequent movies will have a some level of a hard time overcoming,.

Yes, good movies with good word of mouth will make good money most of the time, but it remains to be seen if movies fans will be as willing to accept replacements to these characters or the next round of new characters as well as they have during the last 11 years.

I'm no longer in the nerd demographic, but pretty much everyone I spoke to this week was saying something like "I'm really looking forward to this, but I'm also looking forward to being done with comic book movies". GOTG/Thor could probably pull a reasonable audience, but otherwise when you add up superhero fatigue, the loss of a lot of the big draws, and (sorry to bring this up) the way identity politics are becoming a point of contention, it starts to look a bit challenging.

Put it this way, if I were Marvel I would slow down on the releases, do some genre movies, and build up a new cast before making another megabudget film.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.