*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

344,713 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hagen95 said:

I don't understand this need to see a character fail at something. Lots of things and people go through life and don't have this life altering failure. It's called winning at life.
So Rey is simultaneously a symbol for feminism and white privilege?
The Collective
AG
Is broom boy white? If so, sith rising.
FTACO97
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

bobinator said:

The only problem with this "balance of the force" thing is that Luke does come back and show himself to be EXTREMELY powerful at the end of the movie. So by doing that, combined with Snoke's death, did he just create some sort of super evil dark side baby somewhere?
Depends how quick the force works.

*Luke manifests himself on Crait through the force*
THE FORCE: CREATE COUNTERBALANCING NOW!!!!

or....

THE FORCE: Create counterbal....oh wait, he dead....nevermind.
Heh....maybe that's why he chose to become one with the force and "shuffle off this mortal coil" :-D
FTACO97
AG
Hagen95 said:

I don't understand this need to see a character fail at something. Lots of things and people go through life and don't have this life altering failure. It's called winning at life.
And showing failure in this film is ridiculed and deemed a pointless part of the story with no redeeming qualities (Poe/Finn/Rose and Canto Bight).
bobinator
AG
FTACO97 said:

And showing failure in this film is ridiculed and deemed a pointless part of the story with no redeeming qualities (Poe/Finn/Rose and Canto Bight).
The fact that they failed is not why that part of the story is bad.
Not a Bot
AG
The thing I really hate about these movies is they never discuss Rey's Midichlorian count. If she is high enough in midichlorians, it would explain most of her force wielding ability. They could have easily knocked all these questions out with just one little scanner and a skin poke.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
timc08 said:

The thing I really hate about these movies is they never discuss Rey's Midichlorian count. If she is high enough in midichlorians, it would explain most of her force wielding ability. They could have easily knocked all these questions out with just one little scanner and a skin poke.

Iowaggie
AG
FTACO97 said:

Iowaggie said:

And as far as we know, Snoke in that scene could have been a projection and may show up later.

Really? Did you even watch the film? Lightsaber literally cut through him. Top half of his body falls on the floor. Quite a bit later, when Hux is in the room, all the body parts are still there and the bottom half falls off the chair. But sure, whatever, spout off some crap that isn't true. Just to further your hate for the film. We saw clearly with Luke's manifestation that a lightsaber goes right through him.

Did you even read the whole rest of the post?
All those things are absurd, but stay with the theme of "we can just make crap up as we go that is inconsistent with other chapters of Star Wars?"

Good Lord, I didn't think I had to mention it, but no, I really don't think they will run into Thor, Loki or Stitch
FTACO97
AG
Iowaggie said:

Did you even read the whole rest of the post?
All those things are absurd, but stay with the theme of "we can just make crap up as we go that is inconsistent with other chapters of Star Wars?"

Good Lord, I didn't think I had to mention it, but no, I really don't think they will run into Thor, Loki or Stitch

Sorry, my bad for not catching your tongue-in-cheek-ness.

But I do point it out since what you said as a silly theory is actually a theory that's been batted around in other circles.
bangobango
AG
AliasMan02 said:

bobinator said:

Yeah, it would be nice if her victories felt more earned. I mean hell, Harry Potter went through more than Rey has so far.

Those saying she never failed are selling her short. The first 19 years of her life were failure, after all. Kylo defeated her in their first encounter. She was rescued by Han, Finn, and Chewie and then again by Chewie.

But she does seem to be quite adept. I thought they made an adequate explanation, but will be nice to see her struggle a bit to pass along what she has learned.

Why is there even a need for anybody to "pass" on knowledge? Rey is besting master Jedis with no training. What is she going to teach anybody? What has she been taught? What is left for her to do that she cannot just do by watching somebody else do It?

If Abrams and Johnson did anything, they taught is that the idea of training force users is a joke and completely unnecessary. At the very most, it should take less than a month to train a full jedi master according to these movies.
AliasMan02
AG
I think that's where you'll see a lot of focus in Ep IX. Rey trying to figure things out with the help of the books, ghost Luke, and Maz.

The setup for Ep IX is interesting because it doesn't feel like the end of a 9-episode arc, which is what JJ says it is. Another reason why I think we'll see a long time jump and we'll get caught up by the scroll and some exposition.
redline248
AG
Ugh, please no more Maz.
Beat40
bangobango said:

AliasMan02 said:

bobinator said:

Yeah, it would be nice if her victories felt more earned. I mean hell, Harry Potter went through more than Rey has so far.

Those saying she never failed are selling her short. The first 19 years of her life were failure, after all. Kylo defeated her in their first encounter. She was rescued by Han, Finn, and Chewie and then again by Chewie.

But she does seem to be quite adept. I thought they made an adequate explanation, but will be nice to see her struggle a bit to pass along what she has learned.

Why is there even a need for anybody to "pass" on knowledge? Rey is besting master Jedis with no training. What is she going to teach anybody? What has she been taught? What is left for her to do that she cannot just do by watching somebody else do It?

If Abrams and Johnson did anything, they taught is that the idea of training force users is a joke and completely unnecessary. At the very most, it should take less than a month to train a full jedi master according to these movies.

Which master Jedi did she best? You're bein a littleg dramatic here...
redline248
AG
He's probably counting that mini fight she had with Luke when she pulled the lightsaber on him and he tripped.

Btw, she was being over dramatic herself at that part.
Beat40
redline248 said:

He's probably counting that mini fight she had with Luke when she pulled the lightsaber on him and he tripped.

Btw, she was being over dramatic herself at that part.

I personally think that is a pretty weak example. A younger, more in fighting shape person vs someone who hasn't fought in probably a decade.

And yes, Rey was being dramatic there, but that wasn't the point.
redline248
AG
I know, I just added that because
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

Ugh, please no more Maz.
I think it's safe to assume that JJ will go back to revisit the elements that he used in Ep VII, which include Maz and the Knights of Ren. MAYBE Phasma... I don't think so, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Maz is the only Force user that Rey knows, after all.
Beat40
I got you.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Who's the worst new character from TFA and TLJ?

- Maz
- Rose
- Other

My vote is Rose. But the use of Maz in TLJ was cringeworthy IMO. I absolutely hated how they threw her in. Probably my least favorite part of the movie.
AliasMan02
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Who's the worst new character from TFA and TLJ?

- Maz
- Rose
- Other

My vote is Rose. But the use of Maz in TLJ was cringeworthy IMO. I absolutely hated how they threw her in. Probably my least favorite part of the movie.
I understand Maz being thrown in, assuming that she is to be a working element of IX. Just a cameo to remind audiences who she is and that she is out there.

Let's be honest, if she wasn't in TLJ and then showed up to help in IX, a segment of the fandom would be complaining loudly how she came out of nowhere and should have had a role in TLJ.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's a fair point
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Sure but they could have done something better than like a Skype/Facetime with her while she was fighting some unknown forces.

Really weird. Like checking in on her in the middle of a video game.

Seriously WTF.
The Collective
AG
redline248 said:

Ugh, please no more Maz.

I've come around to this TCTTS style, Maz sucks.
The Collective
AG
Wasn't Phasma Rian's character that he requested be included in VII? Makes her an even bigger joke.
redline248
AG
CJS4715 said:

Wasn't Phasma Rian's character that he requested be included in VII? Makes her an even bigger joke.

The best part is Finn didn't even really beat her.
TCTTS
AG
CJS4715 said:

redline248 said:

Ugh, please no more Maz.

I've come around to this TCTTS style, Maz sucks.
wesag
AG
Rain Johnson is ion Wait Wait Don't Tell Me right now.

Softballs.
redline248
AG
Finally, that's settled

The Collective
AG
Cheap editing trick.
Flashdiaz
AG
can't wait for the rest:

"The Raddus Cruiser must be piloted by the a high ranking officer of the Resistance in a straight path"
Dro07
AG
did it have in there that there was a force field keeping air inside the ship while the bombs were released?
Belton Ag
AG
dromo07 said:

did it have in there that there was a force field keeping air inside the ship while the bombs were released?
I always wondered about that. Even the Death Star in the original seemingly had an open door to fly in and out of and stand in front of and look out into space.
bangobango
AG
I wasn't going to post this, but since somebody bumped the thread.

Another video on why this movie pissed a lot of us off. It's only five minutes and does a better job explaining my frustration with the movie than my own words.

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Flashdiaz said:

can't wait for the rest:

"The Raddus Cruiser must be piloted by the a high ranking officer of the Resistance in a straight path"
Also, it projects a repel-field outward from it in a semi-spherical vector in perpetuity that prevents other ships from hyperspacing in at an intercept course IN FRONT of the main resistance fleet. No pincer strategies here!
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill]I prefer the red pills[/url]
JuliusCaesarAggie
Wouldn't the magnets stick to the bombers as soon as they were released?

Why not launch the bombs from the planet and not risk the bomber crews' lives?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.