*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

344,667 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
BlueSmoke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have this sickening feeling Star Wars is turning into what the Transformers movies morphed into - A god-awful explosion of CGI special effects in an attempt to cover lazy writing, amazingly huge plot holes, and one-liners....
Nobody cares. Work Harder
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I saw The Last Jedi for the second time yesterday.

First time when I walked out, I had some qualms. I think those are still there, but after several days of chewing on it prior to yesterday, I was able to just accept what Johnson gave us and go in yesterday and just enjoy a Star Wars movie.

What I liked most:
1: Kylo Ren - he grew as a character.
2: Rey - gorgeous actress, yes, but she also had some growth.
3: Luke Skywalker - I don't give a crap what Mark Hamill thinks of the direction they took his character. I really loved that they gave him a cynical outlook toward his role in the galaxy. His end was great, but come on, does anyone really believe he won't show up in Episode 9 as a force ghost?
4: Throne room duel - the whole thing was fantastic, from Snoke tossing Rey around like a rag doll to Kylo's betrayal of Snoke and the resulting battle between Kylo/Rey and the guards.
5: Silent hyperspace destruction of Snoke's vessel.
6: Was genuinely surprised by the Porgs, given this saga's history of bringing out certain characters that are not well liked, like Jar Jar Binks, or like the Ewoks. They didn't take away from the movie in any way, and were well done.
7: John Williams' score. There are some good cues here, as well as a few call-backs to earlier scores.

What I didn't care for:
1. Mary Poppins Leia. Leia has previously been an example of a force-sensitive person, not a force user per se. All of a sudden she can survive the vacuum of outer space and get herself back aboard her ship?
2. Milking sea critter. Yeah, I get that Luke needs sustenance while in his exile, but ewwwww.
3. Snoke - this character is supposedly all-powerful, is able to force link his apprentice with Rey, can do anything apparently, but is unable to sense the lightsaber being turned toward him? And who the heck is he, where did he come from, and how did he rise to the level of supreme leader?

Another thing - I don't for one second believe that Rey's parents were what Kylo said they were.
InnerCityAg
TCTTS said:

Droid boner?
InnerCityAg
SpreadsheetAg said:

I think if you go me, TCTTS, Brian Spilner, and a few others from here together, we could knock out a story board for a 3rd Movie that could probably save this movie and put an epic STAR WARS feel to the trilogy that wouldn't suck and would probably be downright badass.

We could probably story board this in about 10 days together, then script it out in 30...

Who's in?

FL_Ag1998
AG
Saxsoon said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Saxsoon said:

The fact that there are posters in this thread that are offended that haldo dressed down Poe for being an impulsive man also explains a portion of the male audience not liking it

No, that's just your own politics and bias projecting.

I don't want to derail the thread further but it's cute that you think I voted for Hillary of any liberal for that matter. I just respect the women in my life the way I was taught

Btw type last Jedi sjw into YouTube and see the response rate you get (hint I got back more than a few). That's not force projecting like Luke, there are lot of fragile male egos out there terrified that their sacred cow has been feminized.

The point cbr made (in a very course way, grant you) was that he didn't care about the male/female aspect of that relationship, that it wasn't a gender issue he had with Laura Dern's character. He was pointing out that females were involved in Poe's mutiny, so it wasn't a gender issue (male vs female) in the movie or in his preference for the mutineers over Holdo. He certainly didn't help his case with his verbiage, but anyway. If he's specifically stated in previous posts that he hates women leaders or Holdo because she's a female, then I stand corrected.

The point I made was that you jumped to a conclusion that people who didn't like Laura Dern's character were misogynists. Just like you jumped to the conclusion that I think you voted for Clinton. Again, I can only take that as your personal beliefs immediately painting people you don't know with your biased brush.
The Collective
AG
Hate the movies all you want, but here is an example of true feminist character in the SWU.
InnerCityAg
Bruce Almighty said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Luke/Leia was set up in ESB. Never seemed last second to me at all. Foreshadowed a movie ahead and then fully revealed. And the hate/fear it illicited from Luke in the duel with Vader added a ton to that scene.
I'm not sure I buy that.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-cronin/luke-and-leia-kiss_b_8817166.html

Here's a quote from a producer of Empire:

Quote:

She's not his sister. That dropped in to wrap up everything neatly. His sister was someone else way over on the other side of the galaxy and she wasn't going to show up until the next episode.

Anyway, Lucas has changed his story so many times, who knows what his real intentions were.

Huffington = fake news
BMX Bandit
BlueSmoke said:

I have this sickening feeling Star Wars is turning into what the Transformers movies morphed into - A god-awful explosion of CGI special effects in an attempt to cover lazy writing, amazingly huge plot holes, and one-liners....

Is this post from 1999?
Flashdiaz
AG
I'm going to go ahead and deviate from most. Ackbar wouldn't have worked either:
- SW nerds like us know who he is but most don't. The general population would be wondering who this guy is
- the voice of Ackbar has passed away so he wouldn't be able to have dialogue. Much less dramatic dialogue. It may come across as silly... have we had an alien with dramatic acting?

Thus it needed a human character. What's sillier to me is they let the 2nd in command of the entire resistance sacrifice herself by literally just standing and watching.

Also, they probably underestimated Ackbars fan hood since we generally like him just because of his it's a trap line. He's like Barb from Stranger Things.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

have we had an alien with dramatic acting
Does Alien Nation count? Mandy Patinkin, I think, portrayed an alien cop working with James Caan, who if I recall was sporting a Dallas Cowboys shirt in that flick.
G Martin 87
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

Does Alien Nation count? Mandy Patinkin, I think, portrayed an alien cop working with James Caan, who if I recall was sporting a Dallas Cowboys shirt in that flick.
Also, Louis Gossett in Enemy Mine. It's not unprecedented.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

3: Luke Skywalker - I don't give a crap what Mark Hamill thinks of the direction they took his character. I really loved that they gave him a cynical outlook toward his role in the galaxy. His end was great, but come on, does anyone really believe he won't show up in Episode 9 as a force ghost?
I meant to bring this up earlier (and someone else probably has), but I wondered to what extent Luke on the island was supposed to copy Yoda on Dagobah. Remember how disappointed he was when he went looking for the great Jedi master and found a grumpy little man? It didn't work, but I wonder if that was another way the filmmakers thought they were recapturing the magic of ESB.
wesag
AG
The mutiny itself should have been a huge conflict, but not in Rian's universe. Just keep moving.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

Also, Louis Gossett in Enemy Mine. It's not unprecedented.
Yes, good call. Forgot about that one.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

I meant to bring this up earlier (and someone else probably has), but I wondered to what extent Luke on the island was supposed to copy Yoda on Dagobah. Remember how disappointed he was when he went looking for the great Jedi master and found a grumpy little man? It didn't work, but I wonder if that was another way the filmmakers thought they were recapturing the magic of ESB.
I actually hadn't made that connection, for whatever reason. I think you're right about that, they are very similar portrayals.
cbr
AG
Saxsoon said:

There is someone triggered here and it ain't me champ

What the hell does having women in on the mutiny have anything to do with anything?

Seriously what's the matter with you. Did your daddy never whoop you for talking about women like that?

I did notice that Poe was in charge at the end, but he needed to learn an important lesson in leadership, from 2 women. Oh and they looked to Leia first.

And no I don't get my jollies off of it. In fact like you it was a little off putting at first. But then I Realized my own masculinity isn't threatened one bit by this movie
1. when you refer to other texags posters as 'champ', it is a sure tell that you are triggered. That is the same condescending insult that our worthless purple biatch used which seems to excite you.

2. I have never talked to a woman that way - I respect respectable women and disdain contemptible ones. My wife, daughter, and a female former boss were all great women and good leaders, among many others, including other female star wars characters in other star wars movies. But I don't suffer contemptible *****es in my life, and this character is the most contemptible one in star wars history.

3. The joke from this character is actually on those that soaked her up. Because what appeared to be an 'in your face' feminist glee-fest, where some purple haired idiot in a bridesmaid's dress got to dress down the 'heroic white guy' in true nasty fem ***** manner. But when events unfold, it actually reflects an abject failure of leadership, a lack of judgment and character, and consequently is a straight up stereotype/mockery of everything people hate about worthless, free-riding feminazis in the modern world.

4. I deliberately used 'course language' because I get annoyed with PC bull***** And the thought police that love this character are the leaders of the PC movement. I left corporate america because I was unwilling to enforce a bunch of panzie PC bull****, and I dont have to be PC here. Telling it like it is can be refreshing. The last place I want to be affronted with PC bull**** and social leftist propaganda is in my damned star wars movies that are supposed to be a place of peaceful escape.

InnerCityAg
QUIZ: WHICH STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI CHARACTER ARE YOU?
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

You're General Hux!

Ag Since 83
AG
I got Kylo Ren
Bruce Almighty
AG
Kylo Ren
Bruce Almighty
AG
cbr took the quiz and got Holdo.
Ag Since 83
AG
Ah man, talking to a coworker, we just realized that Darth Maul gives evidence that Snoke could still be alive
Farmer1906
AG
Rey

Brave, determined, and always up for adventure.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Poe
Jason Ag
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Ah man, talking to a coworker, we just realized that Darth Maul gives evidence that Snoke could still be alive

Snoke was obviously mind controlling Kylo the whole time and transfered his consciousness into him before he died. No way Rey would care about him otherwise.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I didnt think the smoking jacket worked for Snoke. It would look even worse on Darth Maul's torso.
cbr
AG
lol, i guess i'd better take the quiz.
cbr
AG
OK, poe.... i guess that figures.
Bunk Moreland
I got DJ
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I got Kylo
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Holdo
Dr. Teeth
AG
BCG Disciple said:

While we're talking physics, do you die immediately when you get cut in half? A force user to snokes extent could have inflicted some major damage even if he had a 5 second window.

Darth Maul survived it according to current canon.
G Martin 87
AG
Poe. Not surprised one bit.
Ragoo
AG
Poe
mazag08
AG
Watched a YouTube theory that claimed that Snoke was never actually on the bridge but that he was projecting himself like Luke did. He didn't trust Kylo to not turn on him. Said the fact that Kylo and Rey were able to force link after Snoke died was proof that he's still alive.

But I guess the showdown with projection Luke shows that the lightsaber wouldn't have severed the projection Snoke.. which it did.

Another theory was that he is an old being that can transfer his consciousness to a new body.

The third theory was that Snoke is dead. I think that's the correct one.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.