*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

344,965 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

DannyDuberstein said:

aTmAg said:

texasaggie04 said:

I must have missed something. How did the first order know the rebels were escaping on their ships from the cruiser? I thought they said they were told by the code breaker, but how would he know? As far as they knew from radio transmissions, Poe was taking the ship to light speed.

What did I miss?
I assume Rose told him.

How did Rose know? She had to know before they took off on the codebreaker plan, if she knew, then running off on some half-banked mutiny plan doesnt make much sense
She would know about cloaking device on the transports, but probably not know the overall plan about using the big ship as bait and all of that. Del Toro probably would have put 2 and 2 together. It's not that much of a stretch.

Yep, you as a fan are stretching to put 2 + 2 together, based on what you're guessing the characters knew and what they might have done... but sure, the writers did a fantastic job.
Thank God the movie didn't spell EVERYTHING out for me. It assumes I'm smart enough to think on my own. That's a sign of good writing.

Haha, the only thing you are is upset that not everyone thinks this movie is aesome, so you're lashing out like a child.
I didn't go rush out and watch this movie on opening night and then immediately come her to insult everybody who liked it. I'm not a super SW fan with an ax to grind. I merely watched it yesterday because my son and I were stuck far from home with nothing to do. We were both pleasantly surprised, so I opened this thread to see what people thought. I simply find the criticisms hilarious especially after the plagurist cheese fest that was TFA.
FL_Ag1998
AG
letters at random said:

I don't think any are WAY better. Some are better, though.

You know what, I'll modify my statement. I do think a few are WAY better (both GOTGs, Spiderman Homecoming, Iron Man, Winter Soldier), but some are simply better, and at worst there are a few on par with TLJ.....hell, I'll even give you The Dark World being worse than it.
letters at random

Quote:

I didn't go rush out and watch this movie on opening night and then immediately come her to insult everybody who liked it. I'm not a super SW fan with an ax to grind. I merely watched it yesterday because my son and I were stuck far from home with nothing to do. We were both pleasantly surprised, so I opened this thread to see what people thought. I simply find the criticisms hilarious especially after the plagurist cheese fest that was TFA.
That's pretty much exactly my take. I saw it with my kids a couple days ago. I think it's a great movie, and for the life of me can't figure out all the hate.
aTmAg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

I just realized that the write/director was from the Breaking Bad franchise. Now it makes more sense. That, along with the Wire are the two best television shows of all time and there is not a single karate scene in either of them. Characters are deep and all have their good points and flaws. I hope they keep these writers and allow them to take over the franchise for a long time.

I assume you think Marvel movies are the greatest thing ever? There are plenty of those coming out to get your fill.

Greatest thing ever? Haha, no. But most are way better than TLJ. And nice cheap jab there bud. Sorry you're so riled up. Hey, if you like it, good for you.
Perfect. That is all that we need to know.

Glad you agree. BTW, even Thor The Dark World has a better audience score than TLJ, and its generally considered (rightfully so) the worst Marvel movie, soooooo.....
People like Fifty Shades and the Transformer movies too. That doesn't make them good movies.
letters at random
FL_Ag1998 said:

letters at random said:

I don't think any are WAY better. Some are better, though.

You know what, I'll modify my statement. I do think a few are WAY better (both GOTGs, Spiderman Homecoming, Iron Man, Winter Soldier), but some are simply better, and at worst there are a few on par with TLJ.....hell, I'll even give you The Dark World being worse than it.
Iron Man and the two GOTG movies are a LITTLE better. Those are the only Marvel movies that are better than TLJ. Winter Soldier was a good movie, but not as good as TLJ. Spiderman Homecoming was okay, but overrated.
Ulrich
If you guys spend all Christmas day arguing over the rankings of 40 sci-fi/ fantasy movies... just think about your priorities.
LE_Funt
AG
aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

MI just realized that the write/director was from the Breaking Bad franchise. Now it makes more sense. That, along with the Wire are the two best television shows of all time and there is not a single karate scene in either of them. Characters are deep and all have their good points and flaws. I hope they keep these writers and allow them to take over the franchise for a long time.

I assume you think Marvel movies are the greatest thing ever? There are plenty of those coming out to get your fill.

Greatest thing ever? Haha, no. But most are way better than TLJ. And nice cheap jab there bud. Sorry you're so riled up. Hey, if you like it, good for you.

Glad you agree. BTW, even Thor The Dark World has a better audience score than TLJ, and its generally considered (rightfully so) the worst Marvel movie, soooooo.....
People like Fifty Shades and the Transformer movies too. That doesn't make them good movies.
But it does. Good and bad are relative terms.
letters at random
LE_Funt said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

MI just realized that the write/director was from the Breaking Bad franchise. Now it makes more sense. That, along with the Wire are the two best television shows of all time and there is not a single karate scene in either of them. Characters are deep and all have their good points and flaws. I hope they keep these writers and allow them to take over the franchise for a long time.

First sentence is false. If everyone thought child rape and Achy Breaky Heart were beautiful, they'd all be wrong.
Ulrich
Where would you guys rank Armageddon in the Star Wars list?
aTmAg
AG
letters at random said:

Quote:

That's pretty much exactly my take. I saw it with my kids a couple days ago. I think it's a great movie, and for the life of me can't figure out all the hate.
I think going in without any per-conceived notions on how it's "supposed" to go helps.

Also, I'm tired of so many movies/shows depending on physical combat for plot lines. Everything from Jason Bourne to the Walking Dead. It's the epitome of lazy writing. You just know that all the hero needs to do is try REALLY hard and he will undoubtedly succeed. One of my favorite movies of all time is the Hunt for Red October. There is no karate, no slow motion gun play, no walking away from explosions, etc. Just a good story with smart people on all sides trying to out-think each other towards their goals. I'm glad this movie was more like that and less like Kill Bill.
wesag
AG
aTmAg said:

I just realized that the write/director was from the Breaking Bad franchise. Now it makes more sense. That, along with the Wire are the two best television shows of all time and there is not a single karate scene in either of them. Characters are deep and all have their good points and flaws. I hope they keep these writers and allow them to take over the franchise for a long time.

Nice trolling
aTmAg
AG
LE_Funt said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

If that sort of thing is your cup of tea then have at it. I don't think you are a bad person for liking superhero movies or Fifty Shades. My opinion is that I like movies that require intelligent writing with realistic characters (magic powers aside) and I'm expressing my opinion here. If you also like that sort of movie/show then I encourage people to watch TLJ and shows like Breaking Bad and The Wire. If you are in the mood for mindless fun then TFA and many Marvel movies are a good choice.
redline248
AG
Ulrich said:

Where would you guys rank Armageddon in the Star Wars list?

Armageddon is worse than any Star Wars movie.
wesag
AG
I watched The Wire and tried to get into it, but damn that show was boring.
wesag
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

Marvel movies are pretty bad also. The novelty has worn thin.
aTmAg
AG
wesag said:

How long did you give it? It takes longer than most for it to start paying off. I'd say give it half a season, but if you can last the whole first season then I bet you watch the whole thing.
wesag
AG
aTmAg said:

wesag said:

How long did you give it? It takes longer than most for it to start paying off. I'd say give it half a season, but if you can last the whole first season then I bet you watch the whole thing.

I think I realized I don't care about Baltimore and I don't like cop shows.
aTmAg
AG
wesag said:

aTmAg said:

wesag said:

I think I realized I don't care about Baltimore and I don't like cop shows.
Oddly enough, I don't care about Baltimore either and that is the only cop show I have ever watched.
wesag
AG
I'm ok with others liking The Wire. I cannot explain what is up with me
aTmAg
AG
wesag said:

I'm ok with others liking The Wire. I cannot explain what is up with me
If you stopped after 1 or 2 episodes, you might want to give it another chance when you have the time. I never thought in a million years that my wife would get into it, but she did too.
jamaggie06
AG
How you can call TLJ intelligent writing is beyond me.

No explanation or reason for Rey's amazing powers despite a well established history.

Oh, the REAL code breaker you were looking for is right there in the cell with you! All with no explanation or reason for why that might be.

Oh, the first order, this remmnant and holdover fringe from the empire has vast and endless resources. Just ignore everything stated and set up in the TFA. Yeah, that's "bold. Different. Unique". It's also stupid and lazy writing. Well, the first part of the story I didn't write, set this up, but who cares? Let's do something cool.

And Finn? Finn was shaping up to be interesting character. Someone who saw the first order for what it was and chose to get out and gets wrapped up in the fight between the resistance and the first order. Now? He's party to a mutiny and a completely worthless plan.

This whole movie was lazy writing. Nothing builds on anything. You mentioned Red October. To compare this garbage to that movie is asinine.

But to each his own. If you liked it. Good for you. I have friends who enjoy monster movies, predator, etc. but to claim this was intellectually challenging or good writing is just plain ridiculous. It literally contains no good conflict. The first order is hunting them down. Why again? Bc the first order was just decimated by the resistence? But, that doesnt make real sense. Kylo? We already saw his conflict in theTFA as his internal conflict was revealed. That led to the death of Han Solo. Rey? What conflict? Despite all the buildup of her longing to belong, he want of family and connection, she's perfect and when offered a chance to join the character we just saw her force communicate with over and over with, she's like "naw, I'm awesome."

What is the climax of the movie? The battle at the end? Really? What did it resolve? What did it move forward? Sure, we got Luke's death. With no significance. With Han's death, we got to see more of Kylo ren's conflict and develop his character as someone willing to kill his own parents for his goals/desires. Luke didnt sacrifice himself for anyone. Didnt die in a manner that develops anyones story. Just dissappears after force ghosting. Yeah, we get it. Kylo hates luke. But we already knew that. It added nothing.
SeattleAgJr
Hot damn. Who knew that Rian Johnson was here, posting on Texags.

Because that is the only explanation for such a die hard defense of this movie.

Holy crap, I got my say in in about 8 posts and then moved on.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ulrich
I was going to watch this a second time, but on the way to the theater realized that I wasn't looking forward to it so I turned around. I may still go again, but I was pretty surprised to find myself uninterested in seeing a star wars movie.
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yes, Atmag has gone to town defending this mediocre product.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly how I've felt. First Star Wars movie I haven't seen twice in theaters.
texasaggie04
AG
jamaggie06 said:

What is the climax of the movie? The battle at the end? Really? What did it resolve? What did it move forward? Sure, we got Luke's death. With no significance. With Han's death, we got to see more of Kylo ren's conflict and develop his character as someone willing to kill his own parents for his goals/desires. Luke didnt sacrifice himself for anyone. Didnt die in a manner that develops anyones story. Just dissappears after force ghosting. Yeah, we get it. Kylo hates luke. But we already knew that. It added nothing.

I think it's too early to say that the death had no significance. If he isn't in the next episode, that's one thing. If he's pulling an Obi Wan, that's another.

I also disagree that he didn't sacrifice himself for anyone. He did it for the remaining rebels and the future of the Jedi.
02skiag
AG
I'll watch it again on Blu Ray. I think if I go do the dishes or fold laundry while Rose is on the screen the movie will flow much better.
redline248
AG
The one thing I'll say about Rey ending up as a nobody is this:

Anakin was a nobody, albeit conceived by the force (apparently). Obi-Wan, for all we know, was a nobody. Probably Yoda, too. Powerful force users don't have to come from powerful force parents, especially since the Jedi didn't marry or believe in relationships.

However, there was some build up about her lineage in the eyes of most viewers during Force Awakens. Now it feels cheap.

Oh well.
G Martin 87
AG
digital_ag said:

Instead it was just Snoke doing a trap thing. Rug pulled. Rey and Kylo are still Force equals (why?), Rey magically escapes after a fun bout of tug-o-war. Everything built up and then dissolved away.
BTW, if Snoke was using the Force to setup multiple video conference calls between two people in different parts of the galaxy and Snoke didn't seem to suffer any ill effects, how come Luke couldn't keep it together after projecting just one person across the same distance once?
BCG Disciple
AG
I'm a relative Star Wars beginner. I've watched the movies, but never really obsessed or went any further than what was presented before me. So I say that understanding that it is entirely possible that I missed the back story...

But where exactly did snoke come from? I though there were only two siths at one time. This guy seems like a legit bad ass, using force levels I never knew existed. Perfecting (close to it, anyway) mind reading, bridging minds, complete display of unmatched power that needed a distraction / game and a lot of hubris to be tricked. How did this guy come to gain his power?
BCG Disciple
AG
I'm also ok with Rey's power. Considering we have understood there to always be light/dark balance in the force for a long time, no one Jedi could have ever been as powerful. There have always been many, even with obi wan, yoda, and Luke. Now Luke rejected the practice, and there wasn't a soul in the galaxy that was an active practicing non dark side force user. To me that made sense for Rey's powers to explode out of seemingly nothing. Also explained to me Leila's increased force in times of desperation and despair (space walk).

Maybe that's the same explanation behind snoke? Once Vader and the emperor were gone, that is a massive imbalance toward Luke, until Luke spread his teachings to an entire school of force users.
Redstone
AG
Trolling has gotten a bit out of hand on this thread - let's stick to discussion of the film without getting stuck in the muds of "side issues."
Ulrich
redline248 said:

Anakin was a nobody, albeit conceived by the force (apparently). Obi-Wan, for all we know, was a nobody. Probably Yoda, too. Powerful force users don't have to come from powerful force parents, especially since the Jedi didn't marry or believe in relationships.

However, there was some build up about her lineage in the eyes of most viewers during Force Awakens. Now it feels cheap.

Oh well.

I'm not concerned at all about her lineage, but in TFA she clearly has backstory. For example, Han recognizes her name. Leia appears to recognize her. Ren reacts strongly to the news that "a girl" helped the droid escape without even knowing her name. She's on Jakku. Luke's lightsaber gives her a crazy flashback. Her powers make no sense without real training. There's so much foreshadowing.

I strongly believe that when TFA was written she was supposed to be very involved with the academy and the Skywalkers when she was a child. Rian Johnson may have tried to kill that story line in TLJ, but there's no doubt in my mind that Abrams was going to do more than leave her as a fluke Mary Jane. He's too much of a Star Wars fan to be that inconsistent with how the universe works, so I think he'll salvage the story line in IX.

I kind of think that Johnson was supposed to develop Ren and try to more or less leave Rey in stasis for Abrams to pick back up. It would explain why he came up with plot filler instead of developing Rey.
TXAG 05
AG
Ulrich said:

redline248 said:

Oh well.

I'm not concerned at all about her lineage, but in TFA she clearly has backstory. For example, Han recognizes her name. Leia appears to recognize her. Ren reacts strongly to the news that "a girl" helped the droid escape without even knowing her name. She's on Jakku. Luke's lightsaber gives her a crazy flashback. Her powers make no sense without real training. There's so much foreshadowing.

I strongly believe that when TFA was written she was supposed to be very involved with the academy and the Skywalkers when she was a child. Rian Johnson may have tried to kill that story line in TLJ, but there's no doubt in my mind that Abrams was going to do more than leave her as a fluke Mary Jane. He's too much of a Star Wars fan to be that inconsistent with how the universe works, so I think he'll salvage the story line in IX.

I kind of think that Johnson was supposed to develop Ren and try to more or less leave Rey in stasis for Abrams to pick back up. It would explain why he came up with plot filler instead of developing Rey.

I can agree with that. If her parents were just some drunks on Jakku, who was in the spaceship that she watched fly away.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.