*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

322,225 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
americathegreat1492 said:

Just finished seeing it a second time. I will agree it is better after multiple viewings, but in my case that was because I was apathetic to all the ****-ups after going through the shock of them the first go around. I kind of feel like Luke now. I'm tired and just want it all to end.
Friend told me this same thing. Enjoyed it the 2nd time b/c he was prepared for the parts he hated.
redline248
AG
tremble said:

The only way the next movie works is with a time skip, right? The resistance is basically down to the people on the Falcon while the First Order is still rolling X dreadnaughts deep + Y Star Destroyers.

That doesn't include the fact that the First Order also has the second most powerful Force user in the galaxy who has access to all of Snoke's wealth/knowledge and a fully intact command structure via Hux and the remaining brass in the FO.

Meanwhile, the Resistance has one hot head pilot, one soon to be dead leader, a Wookie, a former janitor, a bunch of spares, and oh, the greatest force user in galactic history apparently.

Basically the only way this thing works is if they time skip 5-10 years to allow for a rebuild of the Resistance, or Ridley just destroys the FO which would be the worst ****ing thing ever.
Nah, man. The distress signal + stories of Luke the Legend will spark the fire that burns the FO from the Galaxy. You know, all those systems that were apathetic to the threat of the First Order prior to TFA, that ceded control to the First Order after they destroyed 5 planets uprovoked. They are coming to help now.
redd38
AG
It's better the second time because the second time you don't get excited by the build ups and therefore you don't get disappointed by the lack of payoff. No highs, no lows. Just 2 and a half hours of mindless, emotionless fun.
joemeister
AG
Saw it Sunday night. I think it was entertaining, but the movie wasn't close to being as good as it could have been. I think I was a little too hyped because of how good Rogue One was. I'm not a movie snob, I probably watch 2 or 3 new movies a year, but here are my thoughts any way:

Pros:
  • I thought the effects were top notch. There are definitely some logical questions that arise from the hyper-speed kamikaze, but it was also a cool moment. I tend to not let myself get bogged down too much in trying to make sci-fi films fit Earth logic.
  • Rey is awesome. I honestly wish they had focused more on her story instead of the plight of the resistance. I hope Kylo was telling the truth about her parentage, but I have a bad feeling she is going to end up being his sister.
  • I loved the scene where Snoke dies. I thought the development of Kylo throughout the movie was really well done.
  • I know some on the thread disliked it a lot, but I thought them showing Leia using the force to survive was a cool touch. For those that read the old EU books, Leia slowly learning how to use the force was a constant theme peppered through many of the books. It makes sense to me that she would have some use of the Force at this point in the story.
  • I think Luke was done pretty well. I really liked his speech about Jedi legends. I'm OK with the decision not to have him participate in some crazy light saber duel or other combat element. His role was that of Yoda in ESB and Obi Wan in ANH.
Cons:
  • Spacing Admiral Ackbar in favor of a wispy middle aged white woman was a bad move. They let two random space captains go down with their ships, why couldn't they have let Ackbar do the same? Especially because he was so good at detecting traps, maybe have him lay one for a change.
  • Similarly, the overly complex bombing scene with Rose's sister was very poorly done.
  • The comic relief choices were really bad. Most of the comic relief in the original trilogy comes from witty one-liners and awkward situations. The beginning scene may be the worst thing they've put in any Star Wars film yet. Every time they tried to be funny, it felt like they were trying to be funny, rather than actually being funny.
  • The previews made it look like Finn was going to be going undercover using his special knowledge of the New Order to help save the day ... I guess he sort of did that, for all of 5 minutes. The flight and ultimate destruction of the Resistance could have been done so much better. I think this was the most disappointing aspect to me.
  • I think Poe is lame. I thought he was lame in the last movie, and I thought he was even more lame in this movie. I really hope they don't try to force a Poe, Rey romance.
  • No explanation of who in the hell Snoke was. At minimum, Luke should have revealed how Snoke turned Ben Solo.
What I'm looking forward to being revealed in the next film:
  • What happens with the New Order? Does it keep going as if Kylo is just another Snoke? Now that Kylo doesn't have Snoke poking him all the time, does he start to calm down and become more calculated?
  • How will they kill Leia?
  • What comes next in Rey's story?

I rate this movie above the prequels, but below the original trilogy, TFA and Rogue One. I don't think it was bad, but nothing more than entertaining. I'm sure I'll see it at least once more. Hopefully it's better on second viewing.
wesag
AG
One thing about this is that now I'm going to view the Prequels again and try and judge from afar rather than somebody who had waited so long for another movie. My hypothesis is that I've changed and that I'll like them. We shall see.
Madmarttigan
AG
All of these reasonings for the movie getting "better" the second time are making me crack up. Being complacent with the poor decisions made by the movie on repeat watches does not make it a better film.

It is all in all a really strange film, it had some really great moments and some really bad moments, that overall leave you feeling stuck in the middle of Meh world.
VanZandt92
wesag said:

One thing about this is that now I'm going to view the Prequels again and try and judge from afar rather than somebody who had waited so long for another movie. My hypothesis is that I've changed and that I'll like them. We shall see.
Yeah my 13 year old son wants to go back and watch them so we will be doing that.
Ulrich
wesag said:

It's a trap!

The prequels are actually best when you're too hyped up and just excited that star wars is on screen. It's a great story told with all the grace and humanity of a cement truck plowing into a bridge abutment.
SeattleAgJr
wesag said:

I did that this past spring.

they have not aged well at all.

even the vaunted ILM sucked for all 3 films.
TCTTS
AG
Ulrich
I have a lot of really sarcastic comments in response to that article, but I'll just say that it sounds like they definitely made some good decisions along the way. The only thing I'll say specifically is that if a subplot seemed boring when it featured two of the main stars, inventing a new character to do the same thing probably wouldn't be my response.
redline248
AG
Quote:

The character of Rose came about because Johnson originally had Poe traveling with Finn to Canto Bight, "and it was so boring," he says. "It was just these two dudes on an adventure... I realized I had to come up with something else. Finn needing somebody else to go with who would actually challenge him and push him and contrast with him was where Rose came from."
VanZandt92
Last post of the day fellas. Here's to George Lucas

tk for tu juan
Quote:

11) The whole Canto Bight scene originally started with Rose and Finn breaking into a clothing shop to put on fancy clothes to blend in. However, Finn would've put his tuxedo on backwards, and everyone was going to laugh at him

Ag Since 83
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

The character of Rose came about because Johnson originally had Poe traveling with Finn to Canto Bight, "and it was so boring," he says. "It was just these two dudes on an adventure... I realized I had to come up with something else. Finn needing somebody else to go with who would actually challenge him and push him and contrast with him was where Rose came from."

I was going to make a sarcastic post about how boring Han and Luke are together riding tauntauns around Hoth, but why bother. Just more evidence Johnson connected with Rey and Kylo and didn't care for/understand JJ and Kasdan's other characters. And I liked the movie as a whole
G Martin 87
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

Wait, what? Poe couldn't "challenge" Finn? Poe running off with Finn on a crazy desperate mission actually would have made sense, given Poe something to do off ship to avoid the mutiny, and made the whole "I'm not telling you my secret plan, nanny nanny boo boo" problem irrelevant. Without Rose, this movie instantly becomes better. What a shame.
The Collective
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

This is going to be received very well by the LGBTQ community.

Also, Poe was fully committed to the resistance and his parents were rebels. Holy hell, they could have backfilled so much information within that mission. G'damnit, Rian.
jabberwalkie09
AG
tremble said:

Basically the only way this thing works is if they time skip 5-10 years to allow for a rebuild of the Resistance, or Ridley just destroys the FO which would be the worst ****ing thing ever.
Rey goes full on Starkiller force push, disintegrating enemies closest to her.

Works for me.
oldarmy1
AG
G Martin 87
AG
Exactly. Rian doesn't need the interior bombing mission scene just to set up Rose's sister. Poe could have been the one to save Finn, which would have contrasted nicely with Poe's earlier reluctance to follow orders in the dreadnaught attack. Poe and Finn actually have a prior friendship from TFA, so no need to introduce an awkward romance with Rose. It's a case study in how NOT to fix a script.
agracer
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

11) The whole Canto Bight scene originally started with Rose and Finn breaking into a clothing shop to put on fancy clothes to blend in. However, Finn would've put his tuxedo on backwards, and everyone was going to laugh at him.
Nanu Nanu....
vwbug
G Martin 87 said:

Exactly. Rian doesn't need the interior bombing mission scene just to set up Rose's sister. Poe could have been the one to save Finn, which would have contrasted nicely with Poe's earlier reluctance to follow orders in the dreadnaught attack. Poe and Finn actually have a prior friendship from TFA, so no need to introduce an awkward romance with Rose. It's a case study in how NOT to fix a script.
I agree. Rian must have really kissed some Kathleen Kennedy butt to get the keys to the entire ship for episode 8. It's not like he was a seasoned veteran when it comes to directing/writing.
Flashdiaz
AG
tremble said:

The only way the next movie works is with a time skip, right? The resistance is basically down to the people on the Falcon while the First Order is still rolling X dreadnaughts deep + Y Star Destroyers.

That doesn't include the fact that the First Order also has the second most powerful Force user in the galaxy who has access to all of Snoke's wealth/knowledge and a fully intact command structure via Hux and the remaining brass in the FO.

Meanwhile, the Resistance has one hot head pilot, one soon to be dead leader, a Wookie, a former janitor, a bunch of spares, and oh, the greatest force user in galactic history apparently.

lol. I think they're going to come up with a reason for why more rebel factions didn't answer Leia's call.
Rian probably intended them to not initially answer due to fear. But to answer later after news of Luke's sacrifice got out to 'spark' others to action.

I hope it gets a more militaristic reason.

from the opening crawl of TLJ:
"Supreme Leader Snoke now deploys his merciless legions to seize military control of the galaxy."

Could be that while the slow speed OJ chase was going on with Snoke and the rebel cruise ship, there were other actions by the first order going on around the galaxy. Perhaps the other Rebel factions were in fights with them or cut off communications to not get caught. A couple things here could be explained away early on to bring in different groups from the outer rim (including Captain Syndulla :0 )
Quinn
AG
TCTTS - do you think there will articles in the coming weeks or months about "what went wrong" in making this movie? Or perhaps articles focused on what Disney has done wrong since taking over the Franchise (RO reshoot, firing Lord and Miller, lack of a through-line for the main trilogy, firing Trevvorow, etc) Or is it still critically adored enough that we won't get an autopsy (for lack of a better term)?
Flashdiaz
AG
Quinn said:

TCTTS - do you think there will articles in the coming weeks or months about "what went wrong" in making this movie? Or perhaps articles focused on what Disney has done wrong since taking over the Franchise (RO reshoot, firing Lord and Miller, lack of a through-line for the main trilogy, firing Trevvorow, etc) Or is it still critically adored enough that we won't get an autopsy (for lack of a better term)?
I still don't get how there's not a small group of people that know where the story goes or has some sort of framework. If I had a billion dollar franchise to hold up, i'd want a bit more structure but maybe that's just me.
Quinn
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Quinn said:

I still don't get how there's not a small group of people that know where the story goes or has some sort of framework. If I had a billion dollar franchise to hold up, i'd want a bit more structure but maybe that's just me.
Exactly. It's crazy that they didn't have the big points planned out. You can still allow each director to do their own thing and have their own style, while still having an overall story that you have to track with. Just look at Marvel - they've done pretty damn well following that model.
cbr
AG
Well by far the best movie since 1977 was thought up off the writing/concept team by a staffer/fan.

That tells you all you need to know about the writing/concept team. Literally ANYONE would have made a better use of ham, leia and Luke than these ****ups.
SeattleAgJr
Quinn said:

Flashdiaz said:

Quinn said:

Exactly. It's crazy that they didn't have the big points planned out. You can still allow each director to do their own thing and have their own style, while still having an overall story that you have to track with. Just look at Marvel - they've done pretty damn well following that model.
like I said earlier in the thread.

I LOVE "Making of" books, and the three for the newer Star Wars movies are beautiful.
But reading the text and decision making process around ideas and concepts only makes me angrier and angrier,.

There is no strategy. There is no long term plan.
They got "lucky" with Rogue One. TFA gets some slack because it was first.
But the arrogance and idiotic story logic of Rian in the new book is astounding.

And this idiot has been given 3 more movies.
SeattleAgJr
cbr said:

. Literally ANYONE would have made a better use of ham
Even Martha Stewart!
SeattleAgJr
Quinn said:

No. Any such articles will focus on the straight white males and their hate of SW and how they used bots to make the Rotten Tomatoes score drop so low.
hurleyag
AG
I can't quite remember, but at the end of RO after the plans have been transmitted, don't a few of the rebel ships crash into Vader's ship while making the jump to hyperspace with out any damage to his vessel?
wesag
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Quinn said:

No. Any such articles will focus on the straight white males and their hate of SW and how they used bots to make the Rotten Tomatoes score drop so low.

It weren't all bots
MandoArms
His ship jumps in before they have a chance to accelerate and collides with him. I guess the difference is his ship was slowing down and coming out of hyperspace prior to impact, vs traveling at light speed.
The Collective
AG
hurleyag said:

I can't quite remember, but at the end of RO after the plans have been transmitted, don't a few of the rebel ships crash into Vader's ship while making the jump to hyperspace with out any damage to his vessel?

I think they are preparing to jump, but it is Vader's ship that is coming out of hyperspace.
Flashdiaz
AG
hurleyag said:

no. Vaders ship comes out of hyperspace just as some ships were turning around to get ready for hyperspace

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.