*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

323,159 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've known this long before TLJ hit theaters.
Ag Since 83
AG
bangobango said:

Well, it's not as weird as the "let George Lucas direct Episode IX" petition from a couple years ago
InternetFan02
AG
Empire would have been so much better if Han and Leia had boarded the Falcon with a high ranking rebel leader that demanded a much safer exit strategy. Han Solo could have used a lesson in recklessness and mansplaining.
bangobango
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

RE: The bombs. There are plenty of possible explanations that are reasonable suspension of disbelief. Here's one: The bomb bay is obviously pressurized/has artificial gravity since Paige can survive in there, so when she pushes the button, whatever is holding them releases them, and they fall according to that artificial gravity. When they leave the ship's gravity, they keep moving the same direction. And thus, bombs "falling" in space.

Use your imagination. Not that hard.

I imagined the ships were so big they had their own gravitational pull.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MBAR said:

SeattleAgJr said:

PatAg said:

seattleag has some serious issues
yes.
#1 on the list... TLJ.
I mean its fine whatever opinion you formed about the movie, but what I don't get is why you're so desperate to get people to agree with you about it.

Likely just enjoying the venting and wants to continue the debate. It's the way of all Star Wars fans.

Ie....

ROTS > ROTJ (My actual opinion.)

Go.
Ag Since 83
AG
I've actually agreed with that ranking at various points in the past. But I love ROTJ too much. ROTS is way above TPM and AOTC. It's actually decent. But it's still the 3rd worst
amercer
AG
Jedi has the best scene in all of Star Wars.

ROTS doesn't have one in the top ten.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jedi has Ewoks.
amercer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Jedi has Ewoks.

The Ewok Village was the coolest toy EVER. And I will fight anyone who tries to argue.
GoAgs92
AG
The movie was about making more movies and sweet sweet cash.

Movie was way way too long....oh no we're running outta gas....oh no we're still running out of gas....oh no we're almost outta gas....uh oh we are on fumes....GET ON WITH IT.

Ha it's just a ruse...we could have cloaked the transports the whole time then sent the bad guys chasing an almost empty ship thru hyperspace while we escape haha....nah...let's let them kill most of us and easily figure out where we are headed instead.

Had some cool parts but too much was jammed into one movie....and Leia flying like Mary Poppins was beyond terrible.
Belton Ag
AG
amercer said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Jedi has Ewoks.

The Ewok Village was the coolest toy EVER. And I will fight anyone who tries to argue.
I won't fight you but I got this for Christmas in 1980 and it was the coolest toy I ever had.

YouBet
AG
Good point on the fuel. It's never even been mentioned in any previous SW movie that I recall and now it becomes a major plot device.

With the rebels always being on the run and in hiding, this would be a major freaking logistical dilemma for all of the ships, machinery, etc.

Would y'all quit making me second guess any positivity I had about this movie?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
YouBet said:

Good point on the fuel. It's never even been mentioned in any previous SW movie that I recall and now it becomes a major plot device.

With the rebels always being on the run and in hiding, this would be a major freaking logistical dilemma for all of the ships, machinery, etc.

Would y'all quit making me second guess any positivity I had about this movie?

You would figure the spacecraft would be basically all solar panels, or at least Star Wars version of them.
amercer
AG
Belton Ag said:

amercer said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Jedi has Ewoks.

I won't fight you but I got this for Christmas in 1980 and it was the coolest toy I ever had.

That is super awesome, and I wish I had one.
Saul Goodman
AG
...whole lot of haters in this thread. Anyone comparing this movie in quality to the prequels is off their meds.

Got out of my 2nd viewing - my love for this movie confirmed. The big emotional moments in this film resonated even more. It has its misses, but we as Star Wars fans should be used to them. The franchise is riddled with flaws. I can't wait to see what they do with IX.

My updated rankings (I'm interested to see if this changes at all a year from now):

ESB
ANH
TLJ*
TFA
RotJ
RO
RoftS
AotC
TPM
YouBet
AG
I had the freeze chamber. Only way you could get was with proof of purchase cutouts.
Ags4DaWin
Haven't seen it yet but went ahead and read about the plot and listened to friends talk about it.

From everything I have heard it sounds like TLJ was Rian Johnson's attempt to successfully troll Star Wars fans the world over.

No backstory given to any villains or Rey. Major character deaths that have very little impact and a complete ignoring of the fact that the Star Wars movies have always been about the Skywalker clan.
redd38
AG
Here's my theory on using light speed as a weapon and why it hasn't been used in the past:

I think there is a very small window of distance where this tactic would be useful. Too close and you wouldn't be going fast enough to do much damage. Too far away and you'll make the jump to hyper space before the collision and thus pass right through on different dimensions. So basically Holdo was lucky that she was a very specific distance from the FO ship.
corleoneAg99
AG
I could have done without Leia flying in space and social justice commentary having to find its way into my damn Star Wars movie but otherwise really liked it and though RJ did a good job of balancing being true to the franchise, injecting his style when possible, and setting up something for the future because all of us in the fandom want this to go on once the Skywalker thread is exhausted.

Looking forward to my second viewing!
Philip J Fry
AG
redd38 said:

Here's my theory on using light speed as a weapon and why it hasn't been used in the past:

I think there is a very small window of distance where this tactic would be useful. Too close and you wouldn't be going fast enough to do much damage. Too far away and you'll make the jump to hyper space before the collision and thus pass right through on different dimensions. So basically Holdo was lucky that she was a very specific distance from the FO ship.

Then it shouldn't matter that you've flown through a black hole or a star. Day not ruined because you're in a different dimension....
Malachi Constant
AG
I hope IX ends with Kylo become supreme leader of the entire galaxy.

Him ultimately winning would be "bold."
redd38
AG
Philip J Fry said:

redd38 said:

Then it shouldn't matter that you've flown through a black hole or a star. Day not ruined because you're in a different dimension....

Large objects are a problem because their gravity will pull a ship out of hyper space. They have to generally be able to pass through smaller objects because there's no way to avoid them.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So, Rey is damn near guaranteed to have built a double-bladed lightsaber by Ep IX, right?
Cromagnum
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So, Rey is damn near guaranteed to have built a double-bladed lightsaber by Ep IX, right?

That's a lock. She prefers fighting with a staff and has the remaining parts of Anakin's lightsaber.
Cromagnum
AG
Just finished watching ROTJ at home as it was on TV. Considerably better than TLJ.

ESB
ANH
TFA
RotJ
RO
RoftS
TLJ
AotC
TPM
americathegreat1492
Brian Earl Spilner said:

She does all the things the other students struggled to learn or accomplish (even yoda) with no training or effort, so sure why the hell not. 10 bucks says she can even overcome not having the high ground.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
She also has the Jedi texts.

Probably learns from those how to build her own.
Cromagnum
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

She also has the Jedi texts.

Probably learns from those how to build her own.

When did that happen? Yoda burned all that down.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
And now a conversation between myself on December 16, 2017 and December 16, 2015, style stolen from IO9's reviews of the Transformer movies. Will write a second part later this week.

15: "OMG, I loved The Force Awakens! I can't wait to hear all about The Last Jedi! I have so many questions!"
17: "Umm, OK, well fire away then."
15: "What would you say is the central theme of The Last Jedi?"
17: "Stalling for time."
15: "Wait, what?"
17: "You heard me. It's about stalling for time."
15: "Um, OK. Well how does the movie start?"
17: "Right where TFA left off - the First Order has tracked the Resistance to its base and is trying to destroy them once and or all while the Resistance runs for it."
15: "Nice! Just like in Empire! I bet Poe Dameron is right in the thick of things, too."
17: "Yep, he's in a tough situation and he taunts one of the top guys in the First Order."
15: "Uhhh, that's what he did at the beginning of TFA with Kylo Ren."
17: "Yep, but this time it's Hux."
15: "OK, that's cool, so what does he do?'
17: "Uses this fuel injection thing to take out all the guns off this new ship, a Dreadnaught, which allows the Resistance to set up a bombing run and let its ships flee."
15: "Cool! How do they hold off the Star Destroyers in orbit?"
17: "Those ships never move or do anything."
15: "What?"
17: "Yep, they all just sit there while the Dreadnaught fights alone."
15: "That seems like a weird choice of applied resources."
17 "You ain't seen nothing yet, kid."
15: "Tell me about the bombers."
17: They're slow as **** and they don't have any guns on them."
15: "Uh, ouch."
17: "Yep, and all but one of them get destroyed before they drop their bombs on the Dreadnaught."
15: "Yikes. So I guess the Dreadnaught is just minorly damaged?"
17: "No, it explodes and is completely destroyed."
15: "From the actions of just one bomber?"
17: "Yep."
15: "So why did they need so many to attack it?"
17: "No clue."
15: "So how many of the Resistance's ship get away?"
17: "All four of them."
15: "FOUR? They've only got FOUR ships?"
17: "Yep."
15: "That's not much of a Resistance."
17: "You ain't seen nothing yet, kid."
15: "So tell me about Snoke. What's his story? Do we finally see him in action?"
17: "Yep, he's in a few scenes."
15 " Sweet! Do they delve into his background? How did he meet Kylo Ren? How did he get so twisted?"
17: "They don't say."
15: "Oh those cagey *******s! Waiting for Episode IX I reckon?"
17: "No, Kylo Ren kills him about 90 minutes in."
15: "Say what now?"
17: "Yep, cuts him in half with a lightsaber. Kylo is Supreme Leader now And he doesn't wear the helmet anymore."
15: "Hmmm, not really what I was expecting."
17: "Oh I should mention that after that, Kylo and Rey kill all of Snoke's guards, because they are kind of allies for a while, but then enemies after that again."
15: "You're kidding."
17: "Nope they are kind of friends and kind of maybe feeling each other through a Force connection, but then he turns her over to Snoke, then she starts calling him Ben, then they fight over Anakin's lightsaber and it pops in half."
15: "What? OK, let's talk about something else for a while."
17: "Sure."
15: "What does Luke do when Rey hands him the lightsaber?"
17: "Throws it over his shoulder off the cliff."
15: "Oh . kinda cheapens the end of VII, doesn't it?"
17: "Just a bit.
15: "So tell me about this island Luke's living on."
17: "He's operating sort of Tom Hanks/Castaway style - fishing, getting milk from a local animal, stuff like that."
15: "Sounds cool. Anybody else live there?"
17: "Yep, some ET looking aliens in nun outfits that caretakers for the original Jedi temple."
15: "Ummm, OK. Do they do anything?"
17: "Yeah, they start to hate Rey when she nearly kills a couple of them with her lightsaber."
15: "Yikes. So what does Luke teach her?"
17: That the Jedi are a bunch of prideful *******s who have no reason to think they should be using the Force."
15: "Ouch, talk about grumpy. How does Rey take it?"
17: "Well she goes into this weird cave by the seashore and ends up in a weird hall of mirrors where she sees someone behind a glass wall but ends up seeing her own reflection."
15: "Kinda like Luke in Empire"
17: "Actually it reminded me more of the part with the monster in Conan the Destroyer."
15: "OK . Anything else happen on the planet?"
17: "Rey develops the mental connection with Kylo Ren, and gets embarrassed when she sees him with his shirt off; Chewie almost eats some local wildlife, then feels bad and doesn't and they turn into the Star Wars version of Tribbles; Rey fighs Luke with a pair of staffs after hearing two different versions of why Kylo turned to the Dark Side; and Luke decides to burn down the ancient Jedi tree and the sacred texts inside."
15: "Christ, is there anything cool going on?"
17: "Absolutely, Luke reunites with Chewie, the Falcon, finds Han's old dice, and has a really fantastic reunion with R2-D2, who shows him Leia's original message to Obi-Wan, which gives Luke the gusto to train Rey. He also is visited by the ghost of Yoda."
15: "YODA!!!!! YESSSS!!!!" How is that?"
17: "95% fantastic, except when Yoda is laughing for no reason and when he uses the phrase "Page-turners they are not" and when he summons a bolt of lightning to set the tree on fire"
15: "Ghost Yoda can summon lightning? You mean like Storm from X-Men?"
17: "That's right."
15: "Why didn't he just do that to kill the Emperor in the OT?"
17: "No idea."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
At the end, Finn opens a drawer in the Falcon and we see them there. It's a very quick scene and I missed it the first time.
aggiephoenix02
SeattleAgJr said:

bangobango said:

Really liked the close of Shapiro's review:
Quote:

It's difficult to imagine how Episode IX can remain interesting with a universe this narrowed and a set of compelling characters reduced to a grand total of two: Kylo and Rey.

so much this.

I do not care about Rey at all anymore, and Kylo only deserves a brutal, horrible, tortuous death.
You're wrong. Kylo Ren should rule the entire galaxy with an iron fist, crushing everyone and everything that opposes him, while at the same time converting Rey (perhaps not to the darkside, but at least to be his gal). He can start a dynasty to rival that of something out of the Dune novels...
aggiephoenix02
amercer said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Jedi has Ewoks.

Yep, I had it, I loved it, even my G.I. Joes & transformers fought on it and for it...
twilly
AG
Considering the weakness of the plot and speed at which Rey does stuff, there's probably a spare lightsaber on the Falcon for her to use.
YouBet
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

I'm all for this.
lunchbox
Blatant Disregard said:

Only if Rey goes off into hiding so she can watch over his kids that he doesn't know about...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.