*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

347,004 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did anyone feel like they were watching Hamill and not Luke? He didn't feel anything like the character did in the OT. He felt like witty, sly, yet somewhat angry Hamill acting like a Jedi.
wangus12
AG
Silvertaps said:

One other "nice touch" moment I noticed. He went out the way he came into Star Wars...staring at 2 suns.

Dammit dude I'm trying not to cry
AgMarauder04
AG
1. Think Luke isn't done. Somehow, he has a role left to play.

2. The resistance is TOAST. Whereas in Empire, our plucky band of heroes was pursued, in this one, the entire movement was all but wiped out. They got annihilated, only saved from total annihilation by Hondo and Luke. Want to see how the rebellion comes back to give them a shot. They may have hope, but they are hilariously outmatched.
aggiebird02
Farmer1906 said:

Did anyone feel like they were watching Hamill and not Luke? He didn't feel anything like the character did in the OT. He felt like witty, sly, yet somewhat angry Hamill acting like a Jedi.
Nah.
About being disappointed in our childhood hero Luke's story, it isn't about him this round. He can't have a better or cooler or stronger role than the new crop. Otherwise it would be once again all about him.

I actually liked how they made him a Davy Crockett or Bowie type of hero in his own lifetime and him not feeling like he was what everyone thought he was. This seemed a lot more real than Luke being and thinking he was the galactic badass. He even mentions how that line of thought brought about the end of his academy.
aggiebird02
Luke repeatedly said hubris and arrogance brought the Jedi to their end. He's right, go back and watch Yoda and Windu in ROTS. They were so into themselves, they were blinded by how amazing they were...
Farmer1906
AG
Did anyone else cringe about super space woman Leia?
Farmer1906
AG
You're right. It is about the new cast. They were the best part about this movie.
wangus12
AG
Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of it either
AggieChemist
AG
We have never seen Leia be a force user. That's my issue.
JCRiley09
AG
I thought it was pretty cool to see that she was fairly powerful in using the force instead of just feeling things
AggieChemist
AG
Just remembered. Pour one out for Akbar.
JCRiley09
AG
What are we going to call Luke at the end? Force person? Force projection? Force presence?

Anyway, brushing the dirt of his shoulder was an eye roll moment
SeattleAgJr
My bet.

Leia "dies" between movies.

Her force energy then flows to her twin, and he becomes corporeal again.

Helps KILL Kylo (no redemption for him now).

And eventually returns to the force for good, thus being the LAST Jedi.

And Rey is something new for going forward.
YellowPot_97
AG
Akbar deserved a better death
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Guys. We have now lost Luke, Han, and Leia.
SeattleAgJr
I am still going with my theory that Luke is not dead. He has just converted his mass to energy and is one with the force.

He'll be back.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Really liked all the fake outs, misfires, and plans going to crap. That's new territory for Star Wars. I also liked how the entire movie was basically one battle with some side stories. I liked how Rae went to the dark side in the island and found only her reflection. Great metaphor there. I liked Kylo's fake turn back to light. I liked grumpy old Luke way better than whiny Luke.

Didn't like Snoke. His character was pretty pointless all said and done. I thought the ship-as-a-lightspeed-missile thing was a bit corny. Would have been real easy to take out a deathstar with something like that. Or just have lightspeed drive torpedoes to blow the **** out of stuff.

I also got faked out. First I thought Kylo was fighting real Luke. Then I thought Luke had died and Kylo was fighting his force ghost. Then we found out it was his projection and then Luke died anyway. Why exactly didnt he just get in his xwing and actually show up at the battle if he was going to die anyway?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wangus12
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

My bet.

Leia "dies" between movies.

Her force energy then flows to her twin, and he becomes corporeal again.

Helps KILL Kylo (no redemption for him now).

And eventually returns to the force for good, thus being the LAST Jedi.

And Rey is something new for going forward.
I'm.......ok with this
RebAg13
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

We've lost Carrie not Leia.
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yes. I truly hate the Lucasfilm team in that they are picking them off one by one. Have no doubt Leia would have likely died in the next one.
Orome
AG
So did anyone think that there was still a lot predictability and rehashed story arcs from the OT? Luke/Rey try to a far off planet to learn from Yoda/Luke but leave to go back and help or Ben/Luke sacrificing themselves to allow the others to escape?

The auxiliary characters are pretty great and Kylo's turn on Snoke was a pretty great scene and way to continue his org to the dark.

I hope there is more in store for Luke, if not, I feel like those who don't dig into Star Wars material off the big screen don't really get to "see Luke Skywalker"
SeattleAgJr
wangus12 said:

I'm.......ok with this
It is a little obvious, but it fits, especially now they have to work around not having Leia when she was going to be the focus of the third movie.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm pissed cause what Luke pulled at the end with his projection and then becoming one with the force should have been Leia's role confronting her son! That's how she should have gone out and we would still have the promise of Luke being a bad ass in IX to complete his story!

I'm just not happy right now! I enjoyed the movie but feel completely robbed. They denied me my child hood hero in VII but gave me hope at the end... And here comes VIII to finish off the burn!

Not saying Luke didn't have a moment, he did, but it's definitely not the one most fans wanted including me. No doubt he'll have a role in IX, but again, not the role I'm wanting.

Crap Rian, why!?!
aggiebird02
Farmer1906 said:

Did anyone else cringe about super space woman Leia?
Yes, it was the only part I didn't care for. It could have just as easily been her getting blown up on the bridge, but a shield or emergency panels close the blown out hole shut, ala the beginning of ROTS with Obi-wan, Anakin fighting Grievous. She could have still been messed up, but not dead.

Which leads me to a question, how many new force powers did we see in this movie?

Jedi survives in space, Jedi calling each other like a cell phone system, Luke projecting across the galaxy without being a force ghost, what else?
wangus12
AG
Luke drinking alien milk should be a force power
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thing is, it's obvious that Mark Hamill feels the same. He's said time and time again how disappointed he was with what Rian did with his character.
Farmer1906
AG
I really enjoyed snoke. He felt evil and powerful in the right ways & wasn't boring. I was shocked how they killed him. Very slick.

This movie felt like it had about a half dozen climaxes. I need to go see it again just to process it all.
SeattleAgJr
And Rian is in charge of the next trilogy. Not too thrilled with some of his story telling here.
Simplebay
AG
What worked

-The structure, space battle, salt both at the end, a LOT of time on the island
-the acting and character driven plot. Even liked the new addition rose
-some of those shots, such as when Dern goes to light speed through the ships and the music cuts...wow.
- Luke's "fight." This is exactly why Yoda should've never had a lightsaber. Kudos to Rian
-Rey backstory. Thank God she wasn't a Skywalker. And that scene with the mirror... hell yes
-BB8 is just class
-chewie beast mode flying the Falcon
-luke's exit. Thank you.

What didn't

-all of canto bite and the CG race track. Filler.
- the ending didn't really get me with the kid, a little too on the nose
-the Leia thing was cool but a little too star Lord for me
-dern's character was either muddled or overly complex, either way this character was central and a misstep for me.
-don't have one Phasma scene then spoil it in the trailer. Trailer gave away way too much.
-snoke... id have liked a little more evil/power
-Rey seemed a little aloof in the final 1/3 or even missing... she kinda fell off it was strange.

Overall, think it's a 9.5 and better than TFA
aggiebird02
Luke DID have a good ending, and without being the focus. If he had done much more, it would have just been a movie about him, instead of the next generation taking the mantle and moving forward.

Like Leah saying, "Why are y'all looking at me? Follow him..." It's Poe's, Rey's, Finn's, Kylo's, Hux's story now, not making sure your childhood hero goes out like you want. It's not about the olds ends, it's about the newbie's beginning...

Did you not hear Luke and Rey? "Life, death, and then death bringing life again" or Snoke saying "light, darkness, and then light to meet it"

Maybe they're trying to give some insight to us olds watching the movie, complaining about the oldies not getting their due...
spanky
AG
If you have a young daughter, I'm not sure any movie franchise has pulled off the female hero role like they have with Rey. She could be what Luke was for a lot of us as kids.
SeattleAgJr
aggiephoenix02 said:

Luke DID have a good ending, and without being the focus. If he had done much more, it would have just been a movie about him, instead of the next generation taking the mantle and moving forward.

Like Leah saying, "Why are y'all looking at me? Follow him..." It's Poe's, Rey's, Finn's, Kylo's, Hux's story now, not making sure your childhood hero goes out like you want. It's not about the olds ends, it's about the newbie's beginning...

Did you not hear Luke and Rey? "Life, death, and then death bringing life again" or Snoke saying "light, darkness, and then light to meet it"

Maybe they're trying to give some insight to us olds watching the movie, complaining about the oldies not getting their due...
bullcrap.

the VAST majority of fans want the old AND the new, not the dismissal and dismantling of the old for characters we barely know yet.
jr15aggie
AG
Well they say a 2nd viewing makes all the difference... I'll find out tomorrow when I take the wife and kids.

It was a good Star Wars movie, but my entire childhood from the 80s is in pain right now with Luke!

I agree the planet Finn and Rose went to was a complete waste of time. Definitely the worst part and worst looking part of the entire movie.
wangus12
AG
Same here man
wangus12
AG
While the Canto Bight was the slowest part, I see what they were trying to build with Finn and Rose's relationship and giving him a reason to want to be with the Resistance. I'm still not completely sold though

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.