*** WONDER WOMAN ***

86,189 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
AgMarauder04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

AgMarauder04 said:

"It's suicide to go out there. It's impossible to cross. No one can cross"

Pine's character says "No MAN can cross it. There's an emphasis on the word, from my recollection,"

You're looking to much into it. Man as in humanity. No man can cross it, but a God can. It's not like any woman could do it either.
And I very well may be. Like I said, I thought it was a very good movie and really enjoyed it, but that one part just struck me.
M.C. Swag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I enjoy seeing F&F graduates having success outside of that franchise.

And by the way, her introduction was in 4. She was great in that one.
Yea, I originally said Fast & Furious instead of Fast 5.

Edit: Wrong emoticon. Meant to have 'Blue Star'
Weimerica
BigTimeAlum said:

Every single incarnation of WW has been dismissive about the capabilities of men. She grew up in an Amazonian culture that had distain for men in general. She has always made those types of "I am no man..." empowerment comments in the comics, cartoons, TV show, etc. I would have been surprised if there wasn't one. It's central to her character and was in no way out of place.

The Amazons were that way, but Wonder Woman never was. It's one of the reasons why she leaves Themyscira.
YouBet
AG
If you want, you can offset the no MANs land scene with the one in London when she sees a baby and does what any normal woman does - goes ga ga over a baby.

I actually thought it was refreshingingly normal to see her do that, be heterosexual, be strong and independent without being an assh^le feminist in your face about it and just generally wanting to do what's right
BassCowboy33
I also love the writeups of this movie. The left can't decide if Gal is a feminist role model or a Zionist far-right biotch who supports the destruction of Hamas. It's funny to see them squirm.
AgMarauder04
AG
Man, I completely missed that. Man. Guess I messed this one up.
Sapper Redux
I think you're reaching.
BassCowboy33
Dr. Watson said:

I think you're reaching.
Negative, ghost rider. These are just the top of the search. It's definitely a minority, but its filling the twitters and blogospheres of the world. As someone who works in radio and in print, it's also possible that I see more of this than the general public would, thus permeating a dissonance that is more counter-cultural.

Salon - Wonder Woman is Nationalism at its most dangerous

Supporting Wonder Woman is dangerous for feminists

Can a Zionist be a feminist hero?

Wonder Woman is not a feminist hero

If Wonder Woman wins, so do nationalists

fig96
AG
I miss the days when she could just be a superhero.
BassCowboy33
fig96 said:

I miss the days when she could just be a superhero.

"...I guess we're gonna miss the good old days."

"What good old days?"

"When people were killed by other people."
Sapper Redux
You mean a few people on the internet are over analyzing something? I'd be willing to bet there's a 50 page argument on some DC blog or forum complaining about her costume.
cone
AG
this is rich
BassCowboy33
Dr. Watson said:

You mean a few people on the internet are over analyzing something? I'd be willing to bet there's a 50 page argument on some DC blog or forum complaining about her costume.
The costume has been out there for a while, so if there are any complaints about that, none are all that new. The WW wardrobe redesign is a fascinating story. Snyder realized that the traditional costume would play well in the States, but her overtly pro-America/capitalism/truth-justice-America-blablabla past wouldn't play as well to overseas markets, especially since it was designed in the WWII era.

Snyder's idea for the redesign wanted to accentuate the legs to make WW appear longer and sleeker, as well as darker, serious color tones to fit the DC Universe that's being created. He also elongated the bracelets and boots. All these things worked great. Snyder also sought Gadot for the role, instead a traditional American actress, in opposition to Jenkins' wishes.

For the amount of flak Snyder has collected as a director and editor, his story and vision have been pretty awesome. It seems that maybe he needed someone who could make that story smoother to the general audience. Even though Jenkins directed the film, you could feel Snyder's influence in the slow motion. whirling dervish fight sequences.

Personally, I can easily separate politics from film. Sean Penn, Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise are all good in my book. But not everyone can just enjoy a movie without pushing a cause.

titanmaster_race
Saw WW last night. Story was OK. The amount of choppy slow-mo action shots was ridiculous. When Chris Pine shut the door and turned to WW, I half expected her to throw him in the bed in slow motion.

Overall, the actual production of the movie was as good as the German accents were.
fig96
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

For the amount of flak Snyder has collected as a director and editor, his story and vision have been pretty awesome. It seems that maybe he needed someone who could make that story smoother to the general audience. Even though Jenkins directed the film, you could feel Snyder's influence in the slow motion. whirling dervish fight sequences.

Personally, I can easily separate politics from film. Sean Penn, Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise are all good in my book. But not everyone can just enjoy a movie without pushing a cause.

I'd argue that telling a story is Snyder's biggest flaw as a director. He's great with the visuals (although I'd wager less is generally more and he doesn't tend to do that, as with the slowmo) but his storytelling and general plot direction tends to leave a lot to be desired. A lot of folks (myself included) question his general vision for the DCU as well, as it seems to have put together in a rather haphazard way.

Agreed on your second point though, I'm quite comfortable with Tom Cruise being more than a bit out there and making generally fantastic action films.
BassCowboy33
fig96 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

I'd argue that telling a story is Snyder's biggest flaw as a director. He's great with the visuals (although I'd wager less is generally more and he doesn't tend to do that, as with the slowmo) but his storytelling and general plot direction tends to leave a lot to be desired. A lot of folks (myself included) question his general vision for the DCU as well, as it seems to have put together in a rather haphazard way.

Agreed on your second point though, I'm quite comfortable with Tom Cruise being more than a bit out there and making generally fantastic action films.
I'll agree and disagree. I also feel that the DCU has been put together quite hastily, but I don't see that as a product of Snyder, but rather a Warner Bros. issue.

I had no issues with BvS other than some choppy editing fight sequences that made things feel a bit disjointed, but I realize that I am a minority in that line of thinking. I really enjoyed Man of Steel and Watchmen as well. I love the darker, more serious tone of these movies.
fig96
AG
His two best told films, IMO, are Watchmen and 300, both of which were basically storyboarded for him by Frank Miller.

Fair point on the planning being on DC/WB rather than him, but as far as vision I feel like he's pushed everything into this murky desaturated realm that doesn't necessarily fit the tone of the different characters in the DCU.
Bruce Almighty
AG
fig96 said:

His two best told films, IMO, are Watchmen and 300, both of which were basically storyboarded for him by Frank Miller.

Fair point on the planning being on DC/WB rather than him, but as far as vision I feel like he's pushed everything into this murky desaturated realm that doesn't necessarily fit the tone of the different characters in the DCU.

Watchmen is Moore, but I agree with your point.
fig96
AG
And I know that...more coffee
AgMarauder04
AG
That Essence pundit has a full blown case of the crazies
BassCowboy33
AgMarauder04 said:

That Essence pundit has a full blown case of the crazies

Yeah, it was a jaw dropper.
MooreTrucker
AG
Saw it. Loved it. Can't wait for JL!

(Good lord she's hot!)
americathegreat1492
Saw this yesterday with some buddies.

The good: Character motivations actually made sense as opposed to certain other movies (Why did you say that name?? *facepalm*). The dialogue was pretty good. No one said anything that either didn't make sense from the perspective of their character or just sounded weirdly phrased. The major plot points were built up to nicely, with no odd turns. By the end of the movie, you actually cared about what happened to the major characters

The weird: The comedy. Something was off. I was in a 2/3 capacity theatre with about 40 people in it and only 4-5 people laughed at each joke. I didn't laugh once and neither did any of my buddies. Something seemed off in either delivery or timing. The jokes themselves seemed fine on paper. It may have had something to do with the majority of them being shown at one point in every trailer. Could have just been the crowd, but I don't buy that.

The bad: The action sequences involving WW in the second half of the movie. Choreography was fine, but some of the camera action was eyerolley. Mainly the overuse of slow motion movement sequences. I put it up there with Abram's strobe lights or Jason Bourne shaky-cam crap. The final action sequence was also pretty wonky considering that WW goes from just being strong and fast to suddenly being able to use magic to overwhelm dozens of enemies and the God of War who she should be roughly equal to from a power perspective.

Conclusion: this was a good movie. I would give it somewhere around an 8-8.5/10, by far the best movie DC has released. Prior to the marvel comic movies, this would have been the best comic movie produced.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

WW hangs on for a solid $40 Million 3rd weekend only a 30% drop but Cars 3 was #1 with $53 million.

No surprise it dropped to 2nd. But thats a solid 3rd weekend and puts it at $274 million domestic and $571 worldwide,

#1 in the DC universe is certainly likely even though it had a lower opening weekend than all 3 of these.

domestic totals:
BvS at $330
Suicide Squad at $325
MoS at $291

YouBet
AG
WW had a lower opening weekend than SS even with all of the negative reviews coming out ahead of it on SS? Surprising.
TCTTS
AG
WW didn't have Will Smith, Batman, or The Joker.
MooreTrucker
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I'd probably rank it 5th best DC movie all time behind the two Burton Batman movies and the first two Nolan Batman movies. I do think it was better than TDKR though. As far as how it ranks with the best of all of Marvel, I doubt I'd put it in the top 10.
The first Burton Batman was good, thanks to Keaton and Nicholson, but the other Batman movies were dumb (I'm NOT a fan of Tim Burton AT ALL). The Nolan movies were way better, and I would put WW right behind them, along with the first Burton Batman. So still 5th for me but I can't separate the Nolan movies.

I also didn't hate MoS, BvS, or SS, so there's that.

Bruce Almighty
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Bruce Almighty said:

I'd probably rank it 5th best DC movie all time behind the two Burton Batman movies and the first two Nolan Batman movies. I do think it was better than TDKR though. As far as how it ranks with the best of all of Marvel, I doubt I'd put it in the top 10.
The first Burton Batman was good, thanks to Keaton and Nicholson, but the other Batman movies were dumb (I'm NOT a fan of Tim Burton AT ALL). The Nolan movies were way better, and I would put WW right behind them, along with the first Burton Batman. So still 5th for me but I can't separate the Nolan movies.

Burton only did 2 and I think Batman Returns was better than Batman.
MooreTrucker
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

MooreTrucker said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Burton only did 2 and I think Batman Returns was better than Batman.
Oh I know. I didn't like ANY of the other Batman movies...Clooney, Kilmer, whatever.
BassCowboy33
I guess the rumors are true. There are people out there who dislike Nolan's Batman movies.
JuliusCaesarAggie
TCTTS said:

WW didn't have Will Smith, Batman, or The Joker.

Don't underestimate the hype for Captain Boomerang either
MooreTrucker
AG
I am not one of those.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
wesag said:

I am on vacation near Myrtle beach and it rained today so we went to the show. I offered up Wonder Woman to multiple people. No takers, thank goodness.

So your point is to bag on a movie you haven't seen indiscriminately. (since you have never posted a review here i can only assume).

Epic post. thanks for your contribution. I'd love to debate it with you but.....nah.
israeliag
AG
Are you trying to bash on someone for enjoying a summer popcorn flick?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
wesag said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

wesag said:

I am on vacation near Myrtle beach and it rained today so we went to the show. I offered up Wonder Woman to multiple people. No takers, thank goodness.

So your point is to bag on a movie you haven't seen indiscriminately. (since you have never posted a review here i can only assume).

Epic post. thanks for your contribution. I'd love to debate it with you but.....nah.

Just pointing out that superhero movies suck. I bet you liked Guardians 2 didn't you? Oh yeah it was so funny right?

Actually NO.

I hate super hero movies by and large. The good ones I could number on one hand.

Hey here is fun tidbit for you.....I did see GotG 2......but I felt so inspired by it that I haven't even bothered posting one way or another about it on the GotG2 movie thread. go search for anything posted by me on there.

I didn't even bother bagging on it. Not worth my time.

thats a weird concept to you I'm sure. Since you post on movies you haven't even seen I guess you must post about every movie you have seen as well.

I got a clue for you - your opinions are not as valued as you would like to think - particularly on movies you haven't seen. And you don't even have to post on every movie you do see. Weird, right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.