*** WONDER WOMAN ***

86,187 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
Post removed:
by user
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree wth this almost completely. I think Henry Cavill could be a good Superman but he's being written as so boring and unhappy. And I have high hopes for Affleck as Batman.

As for the ensemble movies, I love them because of the interactions, but what you say is EXACTLY why JL will have trouble. We "know" only 3 of the heroes. And the other 3 we've only seen glimpses of and know nothing about. No idea if they have IT or not.
MooreTrucker
AG

Quote:

Like I already said, of the original movies for 2017 (non-remake, non-sequel) Wonder Woman is recognized as the best for 2017. What other one is there?

I assume you're talking superhero movies, not movies in general, right?
FL_Ag1998
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Quote:

Like I already said, of the original movies for 2017 (non-remake, non-sequel) Wonder Woman is recognized as the best for 2017. What other one is there?

I assume you're talking superhero movies, not movies in general, right?

Look at the username - CrazyDayDuck...he/she ain't just talking about superhero movies.
FL_Ag1998
AG
MooreTrucker said:

I agree wth this almost completely. I think Henry Cavill could be a good Superman but he's being written as so boring and unhappy. And I have high hopes for Affleck as Batman.

As for the ensemble movies, I love them because of the interactions, but what you say is EXACTLY why JL will have trouble. We "know" only 3 of the heroes. And the other 3 we've only seen glimpses of and know nothing about. No idea if they have IT or not.

The problem with the WB/DC movies isn't the casting....Cavill and Affleck are great choices, and could be great. The problem is the writing, directing, and editing.

And the first Avengers movie is so awesome because it's an ensemble movie and all of those characters that were fleshed out in their solo movies are interacting. But again, you have to have a coherent, logical plot, good writing, and decent directing.
M.C. Swag
AG
I'm on the other side. Cavill looks the part, but doesn't seem to have strong acting chops. 0 charisma on screen (and part of that is surely due to Snyder). But aside from The man from UNCLE, which was enjoyable, none of Cavill's other roles shined. Immortals? Tudors? He's been little more than a walking 6 pack. His entire filmography is a pile of 'meh' at BEST. I'll give him some benefit of the doubt because it's not like I've seen an awesome actor casted as Superman (too young for Reeves). But I wouldn't go as far to say 'he's great.'

And can we stop with the 'best movie in the DCEU'...there's only been what? 4 of them? (MoS, BvS, SS, and WW) When lined up, it's not really a high bar to proclaim WW as 'THE BEST OF THE DCEU.' Let's see how it stacks up when (or IF) we get at least 10 deep.
Dro07
AG
Saw it and

i don't think Steve is dead. I think that he may still be alive. He pretty much swam in the eternal water on the island and didn't "die" when we ran after ww when they gassed the village

Just spitballing
PatAg
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

PatAg said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

MAT said:

ChiliBeans said:

RT score is now dropped to 92% fresh and 91% fan score.
Guess I don't need to see WW after all.
RT actually has it rated as the 2nd best superhero movie of all time based on their "Adjusted Score" which is weighted to account for the variation in number of reviews.

Don't try explaining that to this group here.

In their mysongonistic minds, WW is just an "Okay" movie.

Nevermind that it is now #1 in the DCEU at 346 mil domestically and 700 mil internationally. Nevermind that it's topped the first movies for Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy.
It's a pretty good movie, but it isn't the 2nd best superhero movie.

Nobody has said that it is.

What those of us that enjoyed the movie are saying is:
1) It's as good as the first Marvel Super Hero movies (Thor, Captain A, Iron Man, Guardians). The box office and reviews support this
2) It is the best of the DCEU movies. Again, the box office and reviews support this.
3) Gal Gadot knocked it out of the park with her performance. Only a true contrarian would say otherwise.
4) After the mixed reviews of MoS, SS and BvS, WW is universally accepted as a good flick and nicely sets up the Justice League for the Fall.

If someone wants to quibble over the villains and third act, let them. However, facts are facts.
I agree with everything you said, I really enjoyed the movie.

I got the impression from reading the previous pages that there was an argument being made for it to be the 2nd best.
I wouldn't put it past the first Iron Man, Captain, Thor, or Guardians, personally. It's close though
PatAg
AG
dromo07 said:

Saw it and

i don't think Steve is dead. I think that he may still be alive. He pretty much swam in the eternal water on the island and didn't "die" when we ran after ww when they gassed the village

Just spitballing
hmm, he did just cough a little...interesting
n_touch
Thought possibly the same thing after seeing it. But why wait 70 years and not contact her again. Only reason would be if he was burned/disfigured and became a bad guy. But that to me would go against the whole youth and healing part.

AgMarauder04
AG
That would completely undo the emotional weight of his death.

He dead.
Dro07
AG
amnesia from the blast possibly?

Dro07
AG
I know he needed to die for her to become super saiyan and kill Ares but it is a comic book movie... and WB movie so anything is possible
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Everybody knows that when you die in comic books, you stay dead.

Everybody knows that.
fig96
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

That would completely undo the emotional weight of his death.

He dead.
I take it you're not very familiar with the DCU
Sex Panther
AG
dromo07 said:

Saw it and

Just spitballing

No way he's dead. You don't hire Chris Pine in the DCU to make him a secondary love interest in one movie.

My theory is...

He's the next Green Lantern. And yes I know Steve Trevor is not a Green Lantern in the comics, but I don't care
M.C. Swag
AG
lol I like how you put that last portion in spoiler tags.
Sex Panther
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Yeah, I don't know why I did that... that was pretty dumb
MooreTrucker
AG
Sex Panther said:

M.C. Swag said:

Yeah, I don't know why I did that... that was pretty dumb
But it makes it intriguing.
Dro07
AG
I can buy your theory. Green lantern is picked by overcoming a great fear... what greater fear than death eh?
Murphag
Who cares whether Chris Pine died or not? I wanna know what the friggin' armadillo was doing in the mythical Land of Amazon Women!???
TCTTS
AG
Steve as the (or *a*) Green Lantern has been the going rumor for a while now, probably since around the time Pine was cast. That, combined with the fact A) like SP said, there's no way Pine doesn't have a bigger role, and B) rumors this week have him coming back for the sequel, which has now been confirmed to take place in the '80s during the Cold War. Add dromo07's great point, and I'm thinking Wonder Woman 2 could very well be WW and Green Lantern teaming up, with potentially some kind of Pine / Green Lantern tease in Justice League even.
M.C. Swag
AG
How would that work though? Being the GL doesn't make Pine's character immune from aging.
TCTTS
AG
I have no idea. I know nothing about Green Lantern, I guess I just assumed that being a super space cop came with either not aging or aging slowly.
M.C. Swag
AG
Right after I typed that I just remembered the user's post above who mentioned that Pine bathing in that pool may give him some form or immortality or slowed aging powers. Not sure if that's comic "lore" or not but i guess it could work if they wanted it to.
TCTTS
AG
Great point.
Sex Panther
AG
It's a comic book movie. They can do whatever they want.
jackie childs
so yeah, now I'm going to be pretty disappointed if he's not GL
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

and I'm thinking Wonder Woman 2 could very well be WW and Green Lantern teaming up, with potentially some kind of Pine / Green Lantern tease in Justice League even.
I know I'm overthinking this, but while that's an interesting theory, it would invalidate almost everything in Batman v Superman:

Apparently, Superman is the "first" true superhero the world knows about (Batman is just a costumed vigilante in Gotham and Diana has kept herself and Thymescera a secret). Superman is the first real glimpse our world has seen of aliens from other worlds and of true super powers.

To say that, not only is there an "alien police force" calling themselves Green Lanterns protecting every sector of the galaxy, but that there is a Green Lantern from Earth who protects our planet and has for decades....but we've just never seen nor heard of him is just a little too much, even for DC.
MooreTrucker
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

To say that, not only is there an "alien police force" calling themselves Green Lanterns protecting every sector of the galaxy, but that there is a Green Lantern from Earth who protects our planet and has for decades....but we've just never seen nor heard of him is just a little too much, even for DC.
How was that handled in the comic books? IIRC, the GL that protected Earth (the one that crashed and made Hal Jordan the GL) wasn't FROM Earth, and could have been protecting Earth from afar.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
That is correct in the comics.

But if the Wonder Woman sequel set in the 80's is going to tell us that Steve Trevor became "our" Green Lantern, how has 30 years passed and no one has even seen him?

Again, I'm overthinking this. It's a f-ing comic book movie. I just really want DC to not have these contradictions where fans can pick apart their movie universe so easily. It just makes Marvel's continuity strategy just so much more well thought-out and refined.
MooreTrucker
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

That is correct in the comics.

But if the Wonder Woman sequel set in the 80's is going to tell us that Steve Trevor became "our" Green Lantern, how has 30 years passed and no one has even seen him?

Training, duh.

Again, I'm overthinking this. It's a f-ing comic book movie. I just really want DC to not have these contradictions where fans can pick apart their movie universe so easily. It just makes Marvel's continuity strategy just so much more well thought-out and refined.

Because it *IS* well-thought out and defined. And DC's is not. That's well-established.
dcaggie04
AG
Do you think DC is going to create another Green Latern from Earth since there is already quite a few? So they would be faithful to the comics with WW, Supes, Bats, Cyborg, Flash, and Aquaman, but would introduce a completely new version of GL?

You have Alan Scott, Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, John Stewart, Kyle Rayner and Simon Baz who have been the existing GLs from Easth.
MooreTrucker
AG
Duh. Trevor changed his name so that his family wouldn't know what he's still alive and they can collect the insurance.
YouBet
AG
Interesting theories with Pine. In retrospect:

• Maybe the waters he bathed in are Lazarus Pits or similar.
  • The explosion he died in was shown from a distance so they could easily come back to that shot in the next movie and show a last second escape conducted by the GLC.
  • At the time, I thought it was weird at the very end when back in present day she was staring at the picture and the camera view emphasized that she was looking at herself and was completely ignoring and not reminiscing about her first love. I thought that was strange. Maybe because she knows he's alive and has seen him since WWI.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.