*** WONDER WOMAN ***

86,145 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
TajMaballer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think if you remove the vocals from the song, it works a lot better. Still love the footage in the trailer. I haven't seem anything in the trailers to give me pause like BvS or Suicide Squad (mainly the Joker)
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Looks good.
It really does.

But... you know. History.
Whatever. I am mostly ambivalent about Suicide Squad, but BvS has grown on me quite a bit after watching several times on Bluray.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MoS, BvS. And all the trailers for WW so far. Sign me up.
TCTTS
AG
Warner Bros. just had some kind of critic/fan event screening of the movie tonight on the lot. A full three weeks before release (a great sign), first public screening of any kind. Reactions are embargoed for now, but there's a general wink-wink kind of buzz on Twitter right now that's definitely hinting at super positive.

You guys know the drill by now... but again... any positive reactions out of these kinds of early screenings should be taken with a grain of salt. That said, this does feel different from BvS or Suicide Squad. Both of those had immediate and resounding negative reactions, whereas here, there sure seems to be a hint of quiet, assured confidence. Might we finally be in for the first truly good movie of the DC extended universe?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Just going off the trailer, Wonder Woman seems like it has potential. I always thought the trailers for Suicide Squad and B vs S were stupid but Wonder Woman, at the very least, has had much better trailers than those two movies.
AgMarauder04
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Just going off the trailer, Wonder Woman seems like it has potential. I always thought the trailers for Suicide Squad and B vs S were stupid but Wonder Woman, at the very least, has had much better trailers than those two movies.

It's not Zac Snyder. That alone makes it better.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I believe Zach Snyder is listed in the credits as a producer.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Doesn't mean anything. Christopher Nolan was a producer for Man of Steel and BvS.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Whoop!
TCTTS
AG
Haven't come across a negative reaction yet. Will post when I do...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Patience, Armond White's review will come soon enough.
israeliag
AG
Man I might be excited for this now.
TajMaballer
AG
What gets me psyched is the review that says it's Captain America: The First Avenger meets Thor. That's the sense that I got from the trailers. Can't wait for June 2nd!

wangus12
AG
Hype Train!
AliasMan02
AG
Somebody go ambush the DC execs who are trumpeting WW with all the old "no jokes" talking points.
schmendeler
AG
Just saw this, probably a bunch of overlap with TCTTS' post.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-reactions-for-wonder-woman-are-spectacular-1795356828
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Really excited to see this feedback. Unless plans change, Wonder Woman will be the first DC movie I've seen since Man of Steel.
fig96
AG
Let's be honest, "the best DCEU film yet" is a rather low bar

Glad to hear positive reviews though, looking forward to this one.
Madmarttigan
AG
Just wondering why so many of them emphasize that it is funny, as though in order to be a successful comic book movie these days you must have quality humor like the marvel universe.
BEaggie08
AG
tv1113 said:

Just wondering why so many of them emphasize that it is funny, as though in order to be a successful comic book movie these days you must have quality humor like the marvel universe.

I don't think they're necessarily saying that it has to be funny, but a little humor really helps tone down the seriousness. Look at the Marvel movies (Iron Man, Avengers, Guardians, Thor). They all have some levity that prevents them from coming across as super serious. Why would you not want to incorporate some of what makes Marvel so successful? Especially given D.C. Has already tried something else. D.C. has typically missed on the humor and the films are dark and seem to take themselves too seriously. I'm not saying that was the primary fault with those movies, but I think some good laughs buys a lot of goodwill and allows the audience to overlook some other shortcomings.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
tv1113 said:

Because the perception among fans right now is:

Marvel = fun and cheery movies
DC = dark and brooding movies

People enjoy going to Marvel movies while people still subject themselves to DC movies. Maybe DC is finally waking up to this.
Bruce Almighty
AG
The greatest DC movie ever, The Dark Knight, has quite a few funny parts. I know that's easier to do with the Joker, but with 2.5 hours of super seriousness, a little bit of humor thrown in can go a long way.
israeliag
AG
And it doesn't all have to be Deadpool/Guardians style humor, but in real life there's humor as well as fear, darkness, and seriousness.

Dark Knight is a great example - the Joker's humor was borderline terrifying, but worked both to relieve the tension and build on the character. That disappearing pencil magic trick might be the single best gag of any of the comic-book movies yet.
Flashdiaz
AG
fig96 said:

Let's be honest, "the best DCEU film yet" is a rather low bar

Glad to hear positive reviews though, looking forward to this one.
thinking the same thing...

Revenge of the Sith was the best prequel Star Wars movie : /

this may be the first DCEU movie I actually go watch in the movie theater.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If it's on par with Man of Steel I'll be a happy camper.
TCTTS
AG
Best poster yet...

FL_Ag1998
AG
Meh....is it supposed to look cartoony? As in some sort of take on the old school recruitment posters or "We Can Do It!" poster? If so, then I get it...I guess. But if not then it simply looks animated and fake.
Quad Dog
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Meh....is it supposed to look cartoony? As in some sort of take on the old school recruitment posters or "We Can Do It!" poster? If so, then I get it...I guess. But if not then it simply looks animated and fake.
It's a bad photoshop. Look at her right hand. She should at least have muscles flexed and and maybe a strained look on her face. Very clearly they said put your hands in the air, and everything else was added later.
TajMaballer
AG
Comes out in 1 week! I think there's still an embargo for full reviews, but all the social media buzz that I've seen (including a screening last night) has been pretty positive.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

Best poster yet...

that tank might as well have the letters "DC" written on it.

I'm glad the early reviews are positive. I'm hopeful that WW is awesome as I think she was one of the few parts of BvS that was really good and I can't say I have high hopes for JL
bedofbrass33
AG
Y'all have officially convinced me to consider watching this movie on Netflix when it gets there in 2-3 years.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Lol, yeah, I'm now convinced it'll be worth checking out for free from the library in 6 months or so.
TCTTS
AG
Reviews just hit... 41 so far and counting. 95% on RT.

Who would have thought DC would screw up Superman and Batman this bad, but apparently get Wonder Woman this right?

Can't wait to see for myself this weekend.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.