*** WONDER WOMAN ***

86,181 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's what's causing genuine confusion to me, and a perfect example of why I hardly trust RT scores anymore.

It's a good movie, but I am honestly curious if there was something I missed that is causing all the rave reviews. Mentioning this as a top 5 superhero movie is a little ridiculous.
That's a bit of a misunderstanding of what RT scores are in part too.

They're aggregate, meaning 93% of reviewers liked it, not that's it's a 93/100 film.
AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's what's causing genuine confusion to me, and a perfect example of why I hardly trust RT scores anymore.

It's a good movie, but I am honestly curious if there was something I missed that is causing all the rave reviews. Mentioning this as a top 5 superhero movie is a little ridiculous.

A positive score on RT just says that it didn't suck. An A gets the same "fresh" score as a C.

And many of the rave reviews go out of their way to praise the return of DC to the race, or to get political with WW. Many grade in a curve.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I understand that completely. But the reactions on Texags are what I'm referring to. Calling it better than Nolan's TDK trilogy, etc.
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I understand that completely. But the reactions on Texags are what I'm referring to. Calling it better than Nolan's TDK trilogy, etc.
Right, I realize you do, but some seem to be referencing RT as supporting a fact it doesn't actually support.

How people found it better than TDK, Iron Man, Winter Soldier, well, to each their own I thought it was entertaining but not especially compelling.
AliasMan02
AG
I'm with you. I like WW and don't begrudge anyone liking it more than any other film, but some things are objective. If I, a pure amateur, can watch a movie once and come out identifying structural problems with the themes, that's probably a mark against.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I get called out as a contrarian here all the time, but I honestly think people let themselves buy into critical reception way too much. Both positive and negative.

I know I probably sound like a broken record, but I genuinely think BvS was a good movie, and didn't deserve a lot of the flack it got. In fact I just watched the Extended Edition again last night, and enjoyed it even more than last time I saw it. It's improved over time for me (also worth mentioning it's MUCH better than the theatrical cut). Same exact thing happened with MoS.

I guess it's possible the same could happen for Wonder Woman, but on first viewing, I don't think I enjoyed it as much as those two.
CrazyDayDuck
fig96 said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

iWonder Woman has a 93 on Rotten Tomatoes (both critics and audience). When was the last time any Super Hero movie had ratings that high?

Um, Logan like 2 months ago

It's fun and get why it appeals to people, and there's nothing wrong with liking it a lot. It just wasn't as compelling as Iron Man, either Guardians, or Winter Soldier.

If you disagree, more power to you. Discussing this stuff is one of the best things about movies.

You guys crack me up.

ANY movie that gets a 93 on Rotten Tomatoes in BOTH the critics review AND audience is GREATNESS. Period.

Logan was greatness too. Although it received a 91 in the audience review so WW actually edged it out.
AliasMan02
AG
That's a good point, but WW will easily fall behind Logan. But yes, there aren't many movies that get 90+ in both metrics that aren't pretty dang good.
CrazyDayDuck
Zombie Jon Snow said:

BBRex said:

Gal Gadot is what makes this movie. She's hot, but she also plays the character right. She's comfortable in the character and never appears to try too hard to make her a superhero. Then the chemistry with Chris Pine sort of seals it. The overall story is good, with a few missteps, and the actions scenes are more good than bad. But you never shake the belief that she IS Wonder Woman.

THIS.

Note: I think part of what really helps this is besides the look and demeanor, I don't know Gal Gadot from anything else. She wasn't an actor I already knew and therefore there was no suspension of disbelief. She is and always will be WW in my eyes because she totally owned this role in the same way Christopher Reeves was just Superman. And yes I can remember Linda Carter as WW, but not so ingrained because it wasn't a movie and I didn't watch it multiple times over the years.

A lot of superhero movies (most really) I already knew the lead actor from many other things so they were just playing the role to me (Iron Man, Spiderman, Batman, etc.).

Yep

Unlike a Batman or Spider-Man, or even Iron Man, it takes a very special actor to play Wonder Woman. She has to be tall and somewhat physically imposing, yet very feminine ... and still be a solid actress.

What really helps Gal Gadot is that she is a kind of a real life WW. She was both in the Israeli Army and Miss Israel. How many soldiers win beauty pageants?
BBRex
AG
I think this movie is going to appeal to people who don't normally see superhero movies. Those folks are going to say "best superhero ever" but only because they hardly ever watch any.
BBRex
AG
I bet the Israeli army has more contenders than most.
CrazyDayDuck
fig96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

They're aggregate, meaning 93% of reviewers liked it, not that's it's a 93/100 film.

So if a President has a 93% approval rating, that just means 93% of Americans like the job he is doing. Not that he is 93/100 President, huh?

You contrarians need to stop while you're behind.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Will agree on your points about Gal, she killed it. Knew she would knock it out of the park from her short appearance in BvS.
Ag Since 83
AG
Box Office Mojo has posted their weekend estimate at $100.5m. Hopefully the final numbers aren't adjusted down
Ag Since 83
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So considering WW is a God and all, who wins a fight between her and Thor?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Heh. The replies on that.

Gal's original post and response:

Recreational Nuke
With regards to Superman or Wonder Woman, Superman tanked a nuke to the face. As in it exploded in his face and he survive. He also is likely surviving being stabbed in the heart. His durability and ability to regenerate is off the charts.

Wonder Woman has not experienced this level of damage or force yet.

In the comics though, Wonder Woman has always been portrayed as just slightly below Superman in terms of overall power. Basically among the superheroes: he is #1 and she is #2.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Wonder woman's powers are incredibly vague right now. early in the movie she gets scratched during the beach fight and bleeds on her arm, though it heals fairly quickly. Later in the movie, Ares throws random jagged missiles at her and she somehow makes them disintegrate before they reach her.

So, her strength hovers somewhere between "Anyone can kill her with a well placed shot," and "If you get close to her, she can make you dissolve."
fig96
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

fig96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

So if a President has a 93% approval rating, that just means 93% of Americans like the job he is doing. Not that he is 93/100 President, huh?

You contrarians need to stop while you're behind.
Actually, the critics and I pretty much line up. Here's a better sense of how they rated it:

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/wonder-woman

And again, no one says you can't love it, it's a fun movie. It's just far from as perfect as folks are making it out to be.
fig96
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Wonder woman's powers are incredibly vague right now. early in the movie she gets scratched during the beach fight and bleeds on her arm, though it heals fairly quickly. Later in the movie, Ares throws random jagged missiles at her and she somehow makes them disintegrate before they reach her.

So, her strength hovers somewhere between "Anyone can kill her with a well placed shot," and "If you get close to her, she can make you dissolve."

I've always found her powers to be kinda vague across the board, would be curious if someone who's more familiar with the source could clarify.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I didn't say it was better than the TDK trilogy, just TDKR which IMO was a massive disappointment. Massive.

And Wonder Woman wasn't perfect. It was, however, easily the best DCEU movie, which I don't include the Reeves Superman films, Burton's Batman or even the Nolan trilogy in. Just the movies in this "universe" that they are creating.

Gadot owned the role. Pine was great. The sex talk could have been cringe-worthy, but was actually written to be very funny. Loved Dr. Poison but didn't really care about the other guy. I could watch the No Man's Land sequence over and over, it was done so well.
TCTTS
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

TCTTS said:

Just got out and I thought it was... fine. I'm glad to see it exceeding expectations at the box office, and it's a genuine relief that WB/DC finally has an entry in this cinematic universe that they don't have to be ashamed of, but I honestly don't see what puts it above any other middle-of-the-pack superhero movie in terms of quality/story. Obviously, the female lead aspect sets it apart in that regard, but I kept waiting for this amazing experience everyone is claiming it to be, and it just never happened for me.

Godot was good, as was Pine, and I really liked the overall look/production design, but there were quite a few clunky moments, the action didn't stand apart in an really way, Ludendorff and Dr. Poison were laughably bad, and the effects more often than not were super-iffy, if not pretty terrible at times. And that final fight... ooof. I's genuinely surprising how all-in WB/DC are going on the general sameness/sh*tiness of their climactic battles. It's all just dark, muted, CGI gobletygoop in which pain doesn't exist and everyone is invincible until they're suddenly not for some reason.

I don't know... I get why people are into it, I had fun with big chunks of it, and it was genuinely cool to hear the cheers from the audience at times, but to compare it to the greats of the genre seems kind of crazy to me. In fact, if I had to choose between the two superhero origin movies set during either of the World Wars, starring a male lead named Steve who sacrificially flies/diverts a plane in the climax to save thousands... I'd probably go with Captain America: The First Avenger.

Come on man. You contrarians need to stop it. This is a GREAT Super Hero flick ... and everyone knows it.

Wonder Woman has a 93 on Rotten Tomatoes (both critics and audience). When was the last time any Super Hero movie had ratings that high?

It even edges out "The Avengers", which had a rating of 92.

Captain America: The First Avenger was at 80 and Captain America: Civil War scored a 90.

Guardians 2 had a better opening weekend but I think WW could have more staying power and surpass it domestically.

This has already been replied to sufficiently enough by other posters, but if you think I would ever post a review just to be a contrarian, you couldn't be more off base. Agree with me or not, when I post reviews here, they're MY views. MY genuine thoughts of the movie. I could not care less about either being in line or against the line of what everyone else is thinking.
TCTTS
AG
Also... the more I've thought about it, one aspect above almost everything else that I really didn't like was its ultimate theme/thesis. For a brief moment, I loved that Diana was proven wrong when "evil" didn't cease after she killed Ludendorff. That was so incredibly interesting to see her have that moment of disillusionment. I thought - yes, this is a great learning moment - this is a great arc - to come to the realization that some men really are just bad, selfish, and power hungry - that they're not just under some evil spell, etc. I loved her having that realization and what that would do for her character going forward. But then, not even a minute later... nope, she was right all along. This idea that a literal evil Greek god whispering thoughts into men's ears, influencing them, etc. is why there is evil in the world... I hated that. And it was obviously made worse by the fact that everything after that moment was also the CGI gobbletygoop-fest I mentioned earlier. On one hand, I get how the naive-girl-proven-right conceit can be satisfying, but I didn't at all like the conclusion it meant for the world and theme.
TCTTS
AG
(Staff really needs to suss out what can/can't go between spoiler tags, btw. No colons, slashes, or brackets? Come on.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You are laying out my exact thoughts better than I could have.

I was convinced Ares did not exist, and I loved that moment when she realizes men are just evil. It was a great moment that basically gets undercut immediately after.

Also, is the implication that the war ends because she kills Ares? If so, how are they going to explain the continuation of war and evil in the world? (WW2, etc.)

I am guessing that either Ares reincarnates every time he is killed, or the original thesis of the movie that men are evil is still true. But in either case, it renders the whole final fight moot.

IMO, the movie would've been stronger without Ares in it at all.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. Good points. No ares = far better movie. I get that on the surface they needed a villain of equal strength for her to fight, but the movie would have been so much stronger without all the Greek god stuff in general. That early montage/explanation of how the Amazons came to be was poorly handled and I'm still somewhat confused by it. There had to be a happy medium where they simply hinted at that stuff without outright saying, "Yep, this is a world in which there ARE literal Greek gods." And the fact that Batman also exists in that world now is just dumb. I can buy aliens and alternate/Asgardian dimensions (which are all essentially just more advanced than us, technologically), but I draw the line at literal Greek gods for whatever reason. Especially ones responsible for *all* evil in the world.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

LMAO.

Drawing the line at "gods" in a "superhero" movie...... makes me lol.

Ummmmmmm....... yeah I just.....yeah.

I mean. Wow.

fine with all the supernatural stuff:
man/spider or cross with any other species - fine
teleportation or shape shifting - been there done that
he man that turns green - fine
any type of disease or treatment that goes wrong and makes someone super powered - fine
crazy unexplainable speed - of course
controlling weather - why not
invisibility or x-ray vision - yep
instant healing ability - given
mind control or telepathy or time travel or telekinesis - ho hum
flying, scaling structures, defying gravity in 1000 ways - normal

but a god - nope no way thats UNBELIEVABLE.

fig96
AG
It's not so much that he's a god as the implications that brings up. Are we now bringing that overarching mythology-driven philosophy into the other JL films, wars, events, etc. ?

It just introduces an element that would've probably been more effective as a more allgorical reference.
TCTTS
AG
I never said gods were unbelievable. It's that they allow an easy cheat, narratively, and muddy the waters thematically/morally.

First of all, you're confusing your definition of "supernatural." In terms of genre, "supernatural" refers to ghosts, the afterlife, curses, spells, etc. Everything you listed is instead science fiction. Which is a key difference. Those things are at least grounded - however laughable - in some kind of science.

But with literal Greek gods, we're now getting into Harry Potter territory, where everything can now just be "magical" mumbo jumbo with the wave of a hand. And Marvel implicitly understands the difference. It's the exact reason why Thor explains Asgard as what we perceive to be magic is really just highly advanced technology.

Further... there's a massive difference between, say, Loki taking control of Hawkeye's mind to make him do bad things... and a literal Greek god being the literal reason for *all* evil in the world. If you can't understand that distinction morally/thematically/etc., I don't know what else to tell you.
TCTTS
AG
Bingo.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
i think people are blowing it out of proportion. it's basically just her origin and explaining her powers.

every single origin and source of power is unbelievable really.

and BvS certainly seemed to indicate it wasn't going to be an emphasis on stories where she is involved that aren't centered around her anyway.

it worked in her origin story. i don't think that means we are getting a lot of it going forward like in JL.
TCTTS
AG
Again, it's not about believable vs. unbelievable. I don't know how I can make that more clear. It's about the implications thematically.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

Again, it's not about believable vs. unbelievable. I don't know how I can make that more clear. It's about the implications thematically.

And I don't know how I can make it more clear - it matters not to me and lots of people.

I'm not talking about the plot/theme/etc. ALL of their powers are unbelievable. "Grounded in science" or not it's all FICTION and anything is possible. A god or god-like powers are no different - TO ME.

Great movie, great portrayal and great story. And that aspect did not detract at all. I leave all suspension of disbelief at the door in a superhero movie. They change, rewrite, rebirth and repurpose crap all the time.

Anyway. you have your opinion. I have mine. Leave it at that.

AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

The whole Aries thing is what gets me. I mean, I could have probably been ok with some kind of Greek God Pantheon Civil War that wiped them all out, but the idea that one is still around, and the idea is THAT'S why we have war is just a little much for me.

I agree with y'all in the sense that if there would have been this realization that there is no big bad, and that maybe her place is in Themyscirs until the world needs her would have been a better ending. I'm not saying she realizes men are evil, but she realizes they are just human...and there are heroes and villains among them and she cant just stop war.
fig96
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

TCTTS said:

And I don't know how I can make it more clear - it matters not to me and lots of people.

I'm not talking about the plot/theme/etc. ALL of their powers are unbelievable. "Grounded in science" or not it's all FICTION and anything is possible. A god or god-like powers are no different - TO ME.

Great movie, great portrayal and great story. And that aspect did not detract at all. I leave all suspension of disbelief at the door in a superhero movie. They change, rewrite, rebirth and repurpose crap all the time.

Anyway. you have your opinion. I have mine. Leave it at that.

Um, you're the one arguing about it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.