*** WONDER WOMAN ***

86,159 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TajMaballer said:

Finally, a DC character who is easy to identify with and root for! This movie had the heart of modern day Marvel movies with a DC aesthetic (for better and worse)

The No Man's Land scene might be my favorite of the year so far. Hope to see Patty Jenkins direct more DC movies!
Agreed on NML. That scene was what comic book hero action scenes should be.
wangus12
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Since we've now entered opposite land with a critically acclaimed DC movie, does this mean Spider-Man is going to be a dud?
You shut your mouth
AggieSouth06
wangus12 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Since we've now entered opposite land with a critically acclaimed DC movie, does this mean Spider-Man is going to be a dud?
You shut your mouth

When Topher Grace with frosted tips appears on screen, wangus is gonna burn down Marvel studios.
wangus12
AG
BassCowboy33
AggieSouth06 said:

wangus12 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

You shut your mouth

When Topher Grace with frosted tips appears on screen, wangus is gonna burn down Marvel studios.

The trailers for the new Spider-Man make it look awfully bad.
BassCowboy33
That was quite amazing. The chemistry between Pine and Gadot was smothering.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Shocking I know, but Armond White gave it a negative review. (He gave BvS a positive review of course)
Ag Since 83
AG
$100 million looks possible with good word of mouth

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4297&p=.htm
Murder Hornet
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Shocking I know, but Armond White gave it a negative review. (He gave BvS a positive review of course)
Dude is a professional troll. I'll admit I read his stuff just to get a chuckle but his praise for BvS is ridiculous
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$11M on thursday is impressive. Doubled Pirates' thursday.

I mentioned $100M as a pretty lofty goal but it certainly seems possible. Still on the high end though. I'm thinking ~$85M.
TajMaballer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

$11M on thursday is impressive. Doubled Pirates' thursday.

I mentioned $100M as a pretty lofty goal but it certainly seems possible. Still on the high end though. I'm thinking ~$85M.
Great start! I think the rewatchability on this one is great (going to watch it again on Sunday). I think even if this doesn't break $100 M, the second week drop off won't be too bad.
Flashdiaz
AG
hopefully this movie does well to prove that a good movie with positive reviews will do well regardless if the hero is male or female and put to rest the dumb female ghostbusters-was-a-flop-because-they-were-female argument.
jeffk
AG
Just got out. It was good! A little over-CGed in action sequences like BvS and Man of Steel, but definitely much more enjoyable movie.

Did find it a bit odd that almost all the jokes hinged on Diana's naivety though. Lots of "let's have Chris Pine explain something to Wonder Woman" moments.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I havent looked at the rating or a parents guide yet, but how's the violence/cursing/etc? Yay or nay for an 8 year old (in your opinion, obviously)?
jeffk
AG
Violence is pretty tame. On par with the Marvel movies, less dark/sinister than BvS. There's some sexual tension/conversation between Diana and Pine as she walks in on him getting out of a bath. They don't show anything though.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, ironic that a supposed female empowerment movie apparently includes mansplaining as a prominent plot device.
canadiaggie
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

I havent looked at the rating or a parents guide yet, but how's the violence/cursing/etc? Yay or nay for an 8 year old (in your opinion, obviously)?
There's one torture scene involving mustard gas and although the World War I scenes aren't Saving Private Ryan intense, there's still fighting. It all seems pretty comic-booky, though, there's no gore or even blood. A 11-12 year old would probably be fine with it. Not sure about an 8 year though
dcaggie04
AG
Did most of you see it in 2d or 3d? Debating on if it is worth it for the 3d.
TCTTS
AG
For what it's worth, I've heard everything from the 3D adding nothing to being straight up bad.
Sapper Redux
dcaggie04 said:

Did most of you see it in 2d or 3d? Debating on if it is worth it for the 3d.

Saw it 3D. Not worth it.
TajMaballer
AG
Patty Jenkins confirmed for Wonder Woman 2

http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-2-patty-jenkins-director-setting/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Rpx 2D it is.
jeffk
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, ironic that a supposed female empowerment movie apparently includes mansplaining as a prominent plot device.

Right - I kept waiting for them to make THAT the joke, but they never circled back that cleverly.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

just got out of this movie - my daughter and son wanted to go I had no clue. I haven't read a single review or anything posted here so anyway I'm unfazed by reviews or word of mouth here and......

that was AWESOME!! she was amazing what a presence. She has a real calm, focused and forthright look about her and is just compelling to watch. Real depth and passion and endearing qualities. perfect casting. I was genuinely intrigued by her character. David Thewlis was awesome as always too.

Really enjoyed it and for the record I am not a superhero movie fan typically. I can count on one hand the few I've really enjoyed. This is up there among the best.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Got here 45 mins early and already have a fairly long line ahead of me.

This is gonn be big.
jeffk
AG
Lots of folks at the matinee this morning too. Most area schools got out yesterday so loads of parents with kids out and about.
TCTTS
AG
Bought tickets yesterday evening for a Saturday night showing and most of the theater was already sold out. Haven't seen that happen that early in a long time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Deadline is saying $86M+ but I feel like projections might get this wrong. To me it feels like one of those movies that is going to build up over the weekend due to word of mouth.

I'll say $95M easy.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, agreed. I'm starting to even see some movie Twitter people say it could break $100M
20ag07
I think what everybody is forgetting is the $80-90M includes the overperformance bump for good reviews/word of mouth. That projection is already saying "it's gonna do way better than we thought". Like a week ago it was at $60-70, I don't think there will be bumps on bumps on bumps.
schmendeler
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is gonn be big.

Line?! No reserved seats? Tell me more about the olden days.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is gonn be big.

Waiting in line for movie tickets - lol.

Sorry. I just can't imagine that any more. I don't go to a movie without buying tickets on my phone and bypassing the line - with reserved seats so I can show up at showtime or later.
Ag Since 83
AG
I'm having a bad flashback to too many hours spent in line in the College Station Cinemark lobby...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Used to live near a theater with reserved seating, leather recliners, the works.

Moved recently and now have a Regal near me. Standard seats, no reserved seating. There's an IMAX and RPX, but I really miss those recliners and reserved seating.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Used to live near a theater with reserved seating, leather recliners, the works.

Moved recently and now have a Regal near me. Standard seats, no reserved seating. There's an IMAX and RPX, but I really miss those recliners and reserved seating.

That does suck....my Regal Cinema (UA) has both reserved and recliners so maybe there is hope they will renovate at some point. they only added it here maybe 3 years ago (East Dallas).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.