*** WONDER WOMAN ***

86,160 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
rhutton125
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there a European accent that Connery didn't sleepwalk through?
Sapper Redux
GiveEmHellBill said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

M.C. Swag said:

rhutton125 said:

IIRC the movie Valkyrie starts in German, zooms in on someone's mouth as they speak and they transition into English. That's the way you know that they're actually speaking German this whole time.

WW has no such clue, but I suppose you can roll with a similar understanding if it makes the film less distracting to you. Like sci fi movies with alien races, presumably they all have a translator chip or something.
Hunt for Red October did that with Sean Connery playing the Russian sub commander

yeah except he was speaking Russian with a Scottish accent...and then had a stilted Russian/Scottish accent the rest of the movie. LOL

But I didn't care cuz it was Connery and he looked badass and the movie was awesome.
And don't forget Highlander (Oscar winner for Best Movie Ever Made), where Connery was an immortal Spaniard with a Scottish accent.....

I love the accents in that movie. The Scottish character sounds almost Spanish and the Spanish character sounds like the love child of Nessie and Rob Roy.
PatAg
AG
I was going to read the whole thread to catch up, as I finally got to see this film...very quickly devolved into nonsense unfortunately.

So something that may have been said already, but when Ares assembles his helm, then uses his fingers to claw the eyelets out of molten steel, was pretty badass.
rhutton125
AG
That was cool, but having a silly mustache underneath really killed it for me.
Weimerica
http://io9.gizmodo.com/wonder-woman-actor-says-chief-is-actually-a-demi-god-1796389983

Looks like we have confirmation that the Chief is also a demigod.

This confirms what I said earlier, the greek gods will not be the only pantheon in the DCEU and that their creation story was bull***** They won't touch the Presence, but it's clear that the Greek Gods just made that creation story up.
CrazyDayDuck
Just passed 300 mil domestically and is up to 610 mil globally.

Jenkin's WW has officially passed Lloyd's Mama Mia for top female filmmaker.
FL_Ag1998
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

Fantastic, you should be very proud! We all recognize how invested you are in this movie. Please, keep us updated!
Bockaneer
AG
WW just got the price of admission from me and the missus- pretty solid entertainment. Gal was aight.
West Point Aggie
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

Mamma Mia was the previous standard bearer...yikes....
Belton Ag
AG
We saw this movie last weekend. The movie was good aside from the Zach Snyder influences which isn't my cup of tea. I avoid his movies as a rule and his style just completely turns me off.

But I'd like to echo the others who thought Gal Gadot made the movie. She really gave us everything we want for a female superhero character; she's an absolute smoke show, is a great actor and owns the character unlike Ben Affleck (ugh) as Batman ever could. Right now Gadot makes Wonder Woman the best thing about the DC universe BY FAR. She's the only reason I'd even consider watching the Justice League movies.

Joe Cole
Saw it a couple of weeks ago. Ended up being what I thought it would be, an OK movie with a horrible plot. The ratings are boosted by every female giving it at 10+ because it's a female superhero and I get that.

WW being hot and the costume doesn't make it a great movie. Few of the actions scenes are solid but the plot is horrendous.
agdoc2001
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

M.C. Swag said:

rhutton125 said:

IIRC the movie Valkyrie starts in German, zooms in on someone's mouth as they speak and they transition into English. That's the way you know that they're actually speaking German this whole time.

WW has no such clue, but I suppose you can roll with a similar understanding if it makes the film less distracting to you. Like sci fi movies with alien races, presumably they all have a translator chip or something.
Hunt for Red October did that with Sean Connery playing the Russian sub commander

yeah except he was speaking Russian with a Scottish accent...and then had a stilted Russian/Scottish accent the rest of the movie. LOL

But I didn't care cuz it was Connery and he looked badass and the movie was awesome.
And don't forget Highlander (Oscar winner for Best Movie Ever Made), where Connery was an immortal Spaniard with a Scottish accent.....

He was actually Egyptian.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Liquid Wrench
RT score is now dropped to 92% fresh and 91% fan score.
Guess I don't need to see WW after all.
MAT
AG
ChiliBeans said:

RT actually has it rated as the 2nd best superhero movie of all time based on their "Adjusted Score" which is weighted to account for the variation in number of reviews.
FL_Ag1998
AG
MAT said:

ChiliBeans said:

RT actually has it rated as the 2nd best superhero movie of all time based on their "Adjusted Score" which is weighted to account for the variation in number of reviews.

AgMarauder04
AG
The hell is an adjusted score?
AliasMan02
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Ever play coed flag football where girls could catch-and-run but dudes were down when they made a catch?
CrazyDayDuck
MAT said:

ChiliBeans said:

Don't try explaining that to this group here.

In their mysongonistic minds, WW is just an "Okay" movie.

Nevermind that it is now #1 in the DCEU at 346 mil domestically and 700 mil internationally. Nevermind that it's topped the first movies for Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy.
CrazyDayDuck
FL_Ag1998 said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Fantastic, you should be very proud! We all recognize how invested you are in this movie. Please, keep us updated!

Wonder Wonder has been the best original movie (non-sequel, non-remake) thus far this year.

And it's legs are as good as Gal Gadot's. It's opening weekend was lower than BvS, MoS and SS, yet it has passed them all domestically for the top DCEU movie. It's poised to make almost 16 mil domestically in its FIFTH weekend, which places it in the top 15 all-time for that spot.

Do you feel informed now?
MAT
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

There is a bubble near the score states that "The 'Adjusted Score' comes from a weighted formula (Bayesian) that we use that accounts for variation in the number of reviews per movie."

And if you want to know how a Bayesian weighted formula works:

"Most likely they use Bayesian average as IMDB does for top 100.

Simple idea: if we have average rating across all movies and average for particular movie best rating estimation is somewhere between these two - closer to average of particular item the more reviews we have i.e. higer confidence.

Bayesian average

Formula explanation on IDMB

weighted rating (WR) = (v (v+m)) R + (m (v+m)) C

Where:

R = average for the movie (mean) = (Rating)
v = number of votes for the movie = (votes)
m = minimum votes required to be listed in the Top 250 (currently 25,000)
C = the mean vote across the whole report"

CrazyDayDuck
Belton Ag said:

Gal Gadot made the movie. She really gave us everything we want for a female superhero character; she's an absolute smoke show, is a great actor and owns the character unlike Ben Affleck (ugh) as Batman ever could. Right now Gadot makes Wonder Woman the best thing about the DC universe BY FAR. She's the only reason I'd even consider watching the Justice League movies.

Well said

After the mixed reviews of MoS, SS and BvS, DC and Warner Bros have to be ecstatic that WW is the surprise hit of the year. Nobody expected it to do this well. It sets up the Justice League rather nicely.

As for Gal Gadot's performance, I agree. She embodies what we picture as a real life WW. A beautiful woman with a big heart that looks like she can beat the hell out of most guys. What a great find. And by Vin Diesel of all people. I think she was in Fast and Furious 4, 5 and 6.
fig96
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

MAT said:

ChiliBeans said:

Nevermind that it is now #1 in the DCEU at 346 mil domestically and 700 mil internationally. Nevermind that it's topped the first movies for Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'm confused, does box office matter or not? Because apparently WW is still worse than Civil War, Guardians 2, and most of the critically acclaimed Transformers franchise.

Or maybe box office is a terrible measure of how good a film is.

It's amazing to me that you think people aren't allowed to like but not love a film that you think is great. Then again, you've also totally ignored any questions about whether there's other critically acclaimed films you don't like or any actual film discussion.

Also, I like how you ignore that Rotten Tomatoes actually states that WW has an average rating of 7.5/10.
MAT
AG
While we're at it, RT has WW ranked higher (#54) than a few other notable movies:

64. The Dark Knight (2008)
68. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015) (which is the highest rated Star Wars movie)
94. The Godfather, Part II (1974)
98. Jaws (1975)
fig96
AG
I'd say that illustrates the flaws pretty well. And I'd also strongly disagree on Star Wars, but that's another discussion.

Good read for anyone who goes around quoting scores:
http://lifehacker.com/movie-review-scores-are-fundamentally-flawed-1774687537
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

MAT said:

ChiliBeans said:

You are right. Fast and the furious 7 was obviously a better movie than every Marvel movie besides the Avengers.
MAT
AG
fig96 said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

MAT said:

ChiliBeans said:

I'm confused, does box office matter or not? Because apparently WW is still worse than Civil War, Guardians 2, and most of the critically acclaimed Transformers franchise.

It's amazing to me that you think people aren't allowed to like but not love a film that you think is great. Then again, you've also totally ignored any questions about whether there's other critically acclaimed films you don't like or any actual film discussion.
Only 2 of the Transformers movies have grossed more than WW and the #2 Transformers movie is in real danger of losing that battle very soon, probably by next weekend? And Guardians 2 better be looking over it's shoulder the rest of the summer. CW was really a CA+IM movie, so WW is more than holding her own.

WW has much more stamina heading out of weekend #4 than Guardians 2.
4th weekend rankings:
WW 10
G2 25

Basically, the Guardians are fatigued and have rolled over while WW is cruising for more action.
My guess is WW will level out one spot below Guardians 2, leaving them as the #9 & #8 grossing superhero movies of all time.
But you never know, they may chose to re-release an unedited WW with an R rating, and then all bets are off!
fig96
AG
Quote:

AgMarauder04
AG
I will say this again, it was a good movie. Maybe even a great one.

It is being propped up as one of the best movies evar. If this was Aquaman or JL, it wouldn't be.

First female led, female directed, female superhero movie. Don't look at me and tell me this isn't a reason.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

I will say this again, it was a good movie. Maybe even a great one.

It is being propped up as one of the best movies evar. If this was Aquaman or JL, it wouldn't be.

First female led, female directed, female superhero movie. Don't look at me and tell me this isn't a reason.

I find that pretty simplistic if not mysiginistic and I'm a red blooded conservative white male.

I loved the movie. Had nothing to do with any of that.

I despised Hurt Locker for example a female directed movie that somehow people bought into because a female directed it. It's unexplainable to me. Terrible depiction of war and particularly bomb units.

And in general I do not like superhero movies. Maybe 5 I can count that I liked enough to ever see again.

Can't we just like the movie without it being that. It's simply a personal preference. I liked it and lots of other people do too.
PatAg
AG
Joe Cole said:

Saw it a couple of weeks ago. Ended up being what I thought it would be, an OK movie with a horrible plot. The ratings are boosted by every female giving it at 10+ because it's a female superhero and I get that.

WW being hot and the costume doesn't make it a great movie. Few of the actions scenes are solid but the plot is horrendous.
You might be over compensating for the "females giving it a 10+ because its a female superhero" group.
PatAg
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

MAT said:

ChiliBeans said:

It's a pretty good movie, but it isn't the 2nd best superhero movie.
rhutton125
AG
Wonder Woman isn't going to eke out another $150 million worldwide, especially not now that the next big superhero release is eminent.

But that doesn't matter. IMO this movie was alright but had **** villains and a *** third act. That alone places it well below the top tier of superhero films, again IMO.
MAT
AG
I'm starting to realize there are very different ways people judge these movies.

For some, it's all about the plot/storyline and how it fits into the established storyline for the character (from the comics as well as previous movies).

For me, it's mostly about how the actors present their superhero character. I look at a series of movies (e.g. Ironman 1, 2 & 3) as a whole and then break down each movie within that series.

Going with the Ironman example, Robert Downey Jr. set the standard. His star factor, charisma, it factor, what ever you want to call it, draws you into his character and therefore the movies.

That's where Gadot excels with WW. She's got IT, which is even more impressive considering she came from a limited background with the F&F franchise.

Ryan Renolds has it, which made the Deadpool movie so enjoyable.
Chris Pratt has it in Guardians.
Hugh Jackman has it, especially when he was allowed to do it his way in Logan.
Christian Bale had it, but in a different, dark way.
Chris Evans to a point, but not quite to the degree of Downey and Co.
Spiderman still hasn't found "the man", but that could all change in the near future.
Not so much with Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill.

That's probably why I don't enjoy the ensemble movies like Avengers and X-Men as much. Too many characters to connect with. Guardians is about the limit of the number of characters I want in a movie.

I'm the same way with music. It's more about the artist, than it is the song/lyrics. Some artists can make anything sound great, even subpar material.

It makes a lot more sense to me now, realizing that people are coming from such different angles in judging the same material.
CrazyDayDuck
PatAg said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

MAT said:

ChiliBeans said:

It's a pretty good movie, but it isn't the 2nd best superhero movie.

Nobody has said that it is.

What those of us that enjoyed the movie are saying is:
1) It's as good as the first Marvel Super Hero movies (Thor, Captain A, Iron Man, Guardians). The box office and reviews support this
2) It is the best of the DCEU movies. Again, the box office and reviews support this.
3) Gal Gadot knocked it out of the park with her performance. Only a true contrarian would say otherwise.
4) After the mixed reviews of MoS, SS and BvS, WW is universally accepted as a good flick and nicely sets up the Justice League for the Fall.

If someone wants to quibble over the villains and third act, let them. However, facts are facts.
CrazyDayDuck
fig96 said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

MAT said:

ChiliBeans said:

Also, I like how you ignore that Rotten Tomatoes actually states that WW has an average rating of 7.5/10.

1) You're comparing sequels to an original movie. That's comparing apples to oranges
2) I'm going by two OBJECTIVE measures of a successful movie. Box office and reviews. You can add a third one, expectations. WW was expected to bring in 70 mil domestically on opening weekend. It brought in over 100 mil.
3) As for critically acclaimed movies, I never got into the X-Men or Wolverine movies (with the exception of Logan, which I thought was greatness). I tend to get burned out on sequels. Give me something new. I liked Beauty and the Beast and Guardians of the Galaxy 2, but I've seen those movies before.

Cinema is supposed to be a form of art, right? Why can't Hollywood be more original these days?

I admit to watching the first Fast and Furious and enjoying it. But what are we up to now? The 7th one?

Like I already said, of the original movies for 2017 (non-remake, non-sequel) Wonder Woman is recognized as the best for 2017. What other one is there?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.