*** WONDER WOMAN ***

86,152 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Jor El ghost ship thing was pretty bad as well, imo.
YouBet
AG
The musical score is definitely incredible. It's very moving.

For the record, he did save people just not when he was publically Superman. He saved the kids on the bus and the oil rig workers.
TCTTS
AG
I actually didn't mind ghost Jor-El. In fact, I thought that sequence with Louis on Zod's ship, where he's helping her escape, is pretty cool.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, for sure. I meant once he becomes Superman. We just see him fight stuff after that point, and it's just not very compelling.
Simplebay
AG
Just got out, and loved it. Surpassed the first Cap by a mile. Gal Gadot was freaking great...surpisingly. she was compassionate, scared, tough, fragile... awesome. the audience I was with loved it. The gf loved it.

The third act got very....snyder in palette. Tried to do too much. The big twist was good at first then lost its weight. They need to fix trying to do too much. The powers that be clearly messed with the 3rd act. Overall the movie reminded me of a better version of pretty woman, fish out water.

The final act could've toned down the boom boom action, but I get it. Chris Pine was good, but sorry hes just Kirk now when he yells. But he got the job done. Supporting cast was forgettable other than the secretary.

I think DC is on the board. Knight to Rooker 3. Patty Jenkins brought some gravitas to the world.

Now Justice League will f it up.
TCTTS
AG
Great to hear.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

I actually didn't mind ghost Jor-El. In fact, I thought that sequence with Louis on Zod's ship, where he's helping her escape, is pretty cool.
I thought the idea was kinda neat, but for me it became a bit too easy of a plot device.

Need some backstory/exposition? Cue the almost literal deus ex machina ghost Jor-El.
jeffk
AG
Trying to decide if I want to go see this tonight. I like taking in movies solo, but opening night solo is a little different.
wangus12
AG
I haven't decided either. I will see it this weekend at the very least.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pumped to see this, but trying to decide if I want to do a rewatch of BvS first.
Ag Since 83
AG
I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like Diana's mother's name is Martha or anything
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Any opening weekend predictions? I feel like this is one could be huge, or be way lower than expected. Kind of a the biggest question of the summer, imo.

$100M+?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Pumped to see this, but trying to decide if I want to do a rewatch of BvS first.
Why? Wonder Woman is set before BvS.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
True. Just to get back into the DC mindset I suppose, but I really don't need to.
Sapper Redux
Ag Since 83 said:

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like Diana's mother's name is Martha or anything
Simplebay
AG
I suspect that this will make BvS worse, not better. This is a different class of movie.

Sadly...i think Justice league will take a huge step back from this. gut feeling. They feel like different movies.

They should've freaking started with this movie. Then...used...brains and not Zach Snyder for the follow ups. I cannot imagine seeing freaking dumbass looking Cyborg next to the awesomeness that Wonder Woman just displayed.
Flashdiaz
AG
is Lex still being played by Eisenbergh in Justice League? I HATED that character in BvS, terrible casting, terrible writing.
That scene where he's introducing Clark and Bruce really bothers me... in a big way.
Why is a multimillionaire Lex introducing multimillionaire Bruce to lowly beat reporter Clark from another city and acting like it's some huge deal? Then gets hurt by Clarks' handshake.... so cheesy and just awful.

back on topic... I see she can do the reverse grip
Sex Panther
AG
Flashdiaz said:

is Lex still being played by Eisenbergh in Justice League? I HATED that character in BvS, terrible casting, terrible writing.
That scene where he's introducing Clark and Bruce really bothers me... in a big way.
Why is a multimillionaire Lex introducing multimillionaire Bruce to lowly beat reporter Clark from another city and acting like it's some huge deal? Then gets hurt by Clarks' handshake.... so cheesy and just awful.

Not defending it because it certainly wasn't a great scene, and of course Bruce Wayne meeting Clark Kent doesn't make sense... But I'm fairly certain, everyone knew who everyone else was at that point, so it was basically like playing poker.... I think.
Solo Tetherball Champ

BvS.... what a wasted opportunity. If they simply adapted the DCAU direct to video where Batman & Superman met and outgrew an initial tense and adversarial relationship, it would have been much better.

Dro07
AG
That is one of my fav animated scenes. I mean it showed Bats being a detective
AliasMan02
AG
The Justice League (animated) scene where Bats outs all of the other founders to each other, including himself, is my favorite.

rhutton125
AG
My biggest problem with BvS is how terrible a detective Batman is. Also, even in the best fight scene (Batman warehouse), he takes a bullet to the back of the head. So he's just not very good at being Batman, I feel like.

Also, Superman blatantly jumps into that second canister of Kryptonite gas. It's just like they say: "shoot me with a canister of Kryptonite gas once, shame on thee. Slowly reload and shoot me with a canister of Kryptonite gas twice, shame on me."
Dro07
AG
so much opportunity to be great... I really think these animated movies are the reason why I am disappointed in the DCEU.
AliasMan02
AG
dromo07 said:

so much opportunity to be great... I really think these animated movies are the reason why I am disappointed in the DCEU.

This is an excellent point. For most of the MCU properties, we never really had a great previous incarnation. DC has several.
Simplebay
AG
This. so much this.

http://collider.com/wonder-woman-script-changes-writers-charles-roven/

Quote:

"One of the great things that came with Patty was this great use of Diana's naivet from living such a sheltered life on Themyscira. So even though she ends up [] becoming a fighter, she's still pretty sheltered because she's never been off the island. So she's got no life experience really. When she meets a man for the first time that gives you great potential humor, and when she goes off the island there's great potential humor just in her sense of what life is like and her finding out what life is like in man's world. So a lot of the humor of the movie, or the circumstances, was pulled out by Patty."
Quote:

That is absolutely one of the main reasons Wonder Woman works as well as it doesthis contrast between Diana's optimism about humankind and Steve Trevor's war-weary cynicism. While the film went through a number of different permutations before it finally went before cameras, it's clear that the impact and influence of Jenkins' involvement as director was key to finally making this thing click.
Solo Tetherball Champ
dromo07 said:

Even at it's cheesiest (and some of those JLU ones were) it is still far better than just about anything DC has put on on the Silver Screen.
Sapper Redux
Just got out of the theater, and I have to say that was a really good movie. The final battle felt out of place with the rest of the film, but it wasn't pointless and mind-numbing like Doomsday in BvS. The rest of the film was really well put together. The cast was great (the chemistry between Pine and Gadot was very good), the action was great (WW in no-man's land was as good a superhero introduction as I've seen), and the plot was solid. The big villain was a little obvious and WW fighting "for love" felt cheesy and unnecessary. Otherwise, worth seeing in the theaters and the best D.C. film by miles.
AggieLitigator
Wonder Woman was really really good. Best DC movie yet.
AggieLitigator
Last battle was fantastic. Good story too.
Ag Since 83
AG
Really, really good movie!

If the last battle had been less talky I would probably call the movie awesome. Good mix of humor/serious/action sequences. Gadot and Pine are both fantastic.

I will say there's some social commentary but it's not preachy like you see in a lot of movies and fits in naturally with a story set in the early 20th century. Everyone I heard walking out of the theater, including 20-something males, were saying they liked the movie and Diana was a great character.
TajMaballer
AG
Finally, a DC character who is easy to identify with and root for! This movie had the heart of modern day Marvel movies with a DC aesthetic (for better and worse)

The No Man's Land scene might be my favorite of the year so far. Hope to see Patty Jenkins direct more DC movies!
Bruce Almighty
AG
Since we've now entered opposite land with a critically acclaimed DC movie, does this mean Spider-Man is going to be a dud?
TCTTS
AG
FL_Ag1998
AG
That quote by the director is a little disingenius. It's not cheesy motivations that people complain about, its cheesy dialogue (i.e. amateurish, hamhanded, inauthentic). And sometimes its simply the actor. Sometimes one actor can pull off cheesy dialogue so convincingly that it doesnt sound cheesy, while another doesn't have the chops to.

But she's talking about "cheesy" character motivations, and Marvel already pulled that off with grace and dexterity with the Captain America character. If Wonder Woman is able to capture that same "cheesy" sincerity and make it believable in the character and context of the movie, fantastic, can't wait to see it.
CrazyDayDuck
Seeing it tonight with the fam.

Pretty stoked.

Linda Carter was a GREAT Wonder Woman but so is Gal Gadot.

Love the music theme too. Kind of a Middle Eastern, belly dancer sound. When they start getting into it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.