*** WONDER WOMAN ***

86,192 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
Noblemen06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was really good but to say it's better than Batman Begins or TDK is absurd.

Loved the movie, though, and Gadot was much better than I thought she'd be at playing a lead for an entire movie. Damn, she's gorgeous to boot. As far as super hero movies go, I'd give it a 9/10.

Edit: Originally wrote "TDKR" when I meant "TDK."
AliasMan02
AG
"I'm proud to have supported this movie."

That's an actual FB status from a guy on my feed. That's the sort of thing that irks people about movies turning political. Going to see a movie isn't taking a stand or making a statement. I think that ultimately hurts the film's reputation because it's divisive, especially when it's fanned by the creators.

I can't help but feel that it's all a complicit fabrication. This guy isn't "proud" to have supported this movie. He likes the sunshine that falls on his face when people read that he posted how proud he is. But those people praising him don't REALLY think this is any kind of stand to take, either. IMO.
CrazyDayDuck
Noblemen06 said:

It was really good but to say it's better than Batman Begins or TDKR is absurd.

TDKR might be marginally better but that would only be due to Tom Hardy's performance slightly overshadowing Chris Pine's. Personally, I think Gal Gadot's performance overshadowed Christian Bale's (who I think is a great actor but a meh Batman) and that more than makes up for difference.

And one can not ignore the politics of the movie. When was the last Super Hero movie where the main character was a woman?
Noblemen06
AG
Meant TDK, my bad. I'd say WW was easily more rewatchable than TDKR; arguably better as a movie from start to finish, too.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Noblemen06 said:

It was really good but to say it's better than Batman Begins or TDKR is absurd.

Loved the movie, though, and Gadot was much better than I thought she'd be at playing a lead for an entire movie. Damn, she's gorgeous to boot. As far as super hero movies go, I'd give it a 9/10.
Not absurd.

This was a great movie and TDKR was the least of the Nolan trilogy by a bunch.

It's hard to really consider Nolan's Batman films as "comic book movies." Because of that, Wonder Woman could be the best of DC's real comic book films

[edit] I see the other comment was edited because they meant to say TDK instead of TDKR. I still think it's hard to really consider those true "comic book" films, so my response still stands.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Here's what's interesting about my experience today: at a 4:10 showing on the XD screen in B/CS, over half of the crowd were older folks. There were a ton of husbands and wives well over 50 there. Of the rest of the crowd, there were a bunch of families with little girls. The age/gender range was all over the place.

This movie is hitting diverse demographics.
AliasMan02
AG
WW is iconic to a lot of people who loved the TV show.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I was sitting next to an older black woman, probably in her mid 50's, who was insanely excited throughout the movie. Can't tell you how many times she pumped her fists or cheered.

Had never seen that before.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So considering WW is a God and all, who wins a fight between her and Thor?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But on a more legitimate note, have they established if she or Supes is stronger in this universe?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wonder Woman would destroy Thor. DC heroes are much more powerful.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That was a damn good movie. I am not ready to rank it, I will need to see it a few more times for that. I really liked MoS and BvS, but this one had a different, more fun, feel to it. Also a certain amount of newness in that we had never seen WW in a solo movie of her own. It was great to see her origin story as well.

Gal Gadot is drop dead gorgeous, and I feel she knocked it out of the park. The WW costume is also very well done and in line with the tone DC established in MoS.

As others have said, the final battle did not seem to work as well as it should have. Seemed all over the place. Contrast that with the No Man's Land part, or her battle with the German officer, both of which were done very well.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah, DC almost hilariously overpowers their heroes. And I think that technically Diana is a true god while Thor is a demigod.
CrazyDayDuck
GiveEmHellBill said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah, DC almost hilariously overpowers their heroes. And I think that technically Diana is a true god while Thor is a demigod.

Thor would try to hit Wonder Woman with his hammer, she would do her invincible bracelet block, and the hammer would bolt back and hit Thor in the head knocking him unconscious.

"Down goes Frazier!"
hunter2012
AG
Is it just me or is WW the most powerful DC hero? She's basically kryptonion without a weakness to kryptonite. Sure she trades laser vision and flying for it; but even batman stated the only way to defeat her is to keep her engaged in constant combat until her heart would give out which is another of saying she doesn't have a weakness.
TCTTS
AG
Just got out and I thought it was... fine. I'm glad to see it exceeding expectations at the box office, and it's a genuine relief that WB/DC finally has an entry in this cinematic universe that they don't have to be ashamed of, but I honestly don't see what puts it above any other middle-of-the-pack superhero movie in terms of quality/story. Obviously, the female lead aspect sets it apart in that regard, but I kept waiting for this amazing experience everyone is claiming it to be, and it just never happened for me.

Godot was good, as was Pine, and I really liked the overall look/production design, but there were quite a few clunky moments, the action didn't stand apart in an really way, Ludendorff and Dr. Poison were laughably bad, and the effects more often than not were super-iffy, if not pretty terrible at times. And that final fight... ooof. It's genuinely surprising how all-in WB/DC are going on the general sameness/sh*tiness of their climactic battles. It's all just dark, muted, CGI gobletygoop in which pain doesn't exist and everyone is invincible until they're suddenly not for some reason.

I don't know... I get why people are into it, I had fun with big chunks of it, and it was genuinely cool to hear the cheers from the audience at times, but to compare it to the greats of the genre seems kind of crazy to me. In fact, if I had to choose between the two superhero origin movies set during either of the World Wars, starring a male lead named Steve who sacrificially flies/diverts a plane in the climax to save thousands... I'd probably go with Captain America: The First Avenger.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, and... the bookend at The Louvre when Diana sent the email to "Bruce Wayne" had the audience HOWLING. The theater busted out laughing so hard that it carried over the final shot of her jumping over the city and was just a really weird beat/situation to end the movie on. I don't know what it was about that shot...I guess just how stupidly simple and obvious the screen/situation was, but I've never been in a theater with such an awkward reaction from the audience at the end, with the levity of the final shot completely undone by what came before it.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't know... I get why people are into it, I had fun with big chunks of it, and it was genuinely cool to hear the cheers from the audience at times, but to compare it to the greats of the genre seems kind of crazy to me. In fact, if I had to choose between the two superhero origin movies set during either of the World Wars, starring a male lead named Steve who sacrificially flies/diverts a plane in the climax to save thousands... I'd probably go with Captain America: The First Avenger.
Just back from my screening and this pretty much sums up my thoughts (particularly with regards to Cap).

It was entertaining and DC's best by far (an admittedly low bar), but from the stellar ratings I was expecting a bit more. Really enjoyed the No Mans Land sequence and some of Diana's naviete was fun, but wasn't really blown away by anything.

Fun and a big step in the right direction for DC/WB, but nowhere even in the ballpark of either GoTG, Iron Man, Winter Soldier, etc.
TCTTS
AG
Btw, per Deadline via a late night update just now, it's looking like this will, in fact, cross the century mark with $101.4M. Pretty crazy for a movie that was projected to do $70M-ish not even two weeks ago. Get ready for Black Widow, Batgirl, Gotham City Sirens, and a dozen other female superhero movies to be put on the fast track come Monday...
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Btw, per Deadline via a late night update just now, it's looking like this will, in fact, cross the century mark with $101.4M. Pretty crazy for a movie that was projected to do $70M-ish not even two weeks ago. Get ready for Black Widow, Batgirl, Gotham City Sirens, and a dozen other female superhero movies to be put on the fast track come Monday...
I am 100% on board for a Joss Whedon Batgirl film.
wesag
AG
TCTTS said:

YYay. More comic book movies.
G Martin 87
AG
Please use spoiler tags during opening weekend.
CrazyDayDuck
TCTTS said:

Just got out and I thought it was... fine. I'm glad to see it exceeding expectations at the box office, and it's a genuine relief that WB/DC finally has an entry in this cinematic universe that they don't have to be ashamed of, but I honestly don't see what puts it above any other middle-of-the-pack superhero movie in terms of quality/story. Obviously, the female lead aspect sets it apart in that regard, but I kept waiting for this amazing experience everyone is claiming it to be, and it just never happened for me.

Godot was good, as was Pine, and I really liked the overall look/production design, but there were quite a few clunky moments, the action didn't stand apart in an really way, Ludendorff and Dr. Poison were laughably bad, and the effects more often than not were super-iffy, if not pretty terrible at times. And that final fight... ooof. I's genuinely surprising how all-in WB/DC are going on the general sameness/sh*tiness of their climactic battles. It's all just dark, muted, CGI gobletygoop in which pain doesn't exist and everyone is invincible until they're suddenly not for some reason.

Come on man. You contrarians need to stop it. This is a GREAT Super Hero flick ... and everyone knows it.

Wonder Woman has a 93 on Rotten Tomatoes (both critics and audience). When was the last time any Super Hero movie had ratings that high?

It even edges out "The Avengers", which had a rating of 92.

Captain America: The First Avenger was at 80 and Captain America: Civil War scored a 90.

Guardians 2 had a better opening weekend but I think WW could have more staying power and surpass it domestically.

jeffk
AG
hunter2012 said:

Is it just me or is WW the most powerful DC hero? She's basically kryptonion without a weakness to kryptonite. Sure she trades laser vision and flying for it; but even batman stated the only way to defeat her is to keep her engaged in constant combat until her heart would give out which is another of saying she doesn't have a weakness.

Don't worry. Bats has a plan for dealing with her.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

TCTTS said:

Godot was good, as was Pine, and I really liked the overall look/production design, but there were quite a few clunky moments, the action didn't stand apart in an really way, Ludendorff and Dr. Poison were laughably bad, and the effects more often than not were super-iffy, if not pretty terrible at times. And that final fight... ooof. I's genuinely surprising how all-in WB/DC are going on the general sameness/sh*tiness of their climactic battles. It's all just dark, muted, CGI gobletygoop in which pain doesn't exist and everyone is invincible until they're suddenly not for some reason.

Come on man. You contrarians need to stop it. This is a GREAT Super Hero flick ... and everyone knows it.

Wonder Woman has a 93 on Rotten Tomatoes (both critics and audience). When was the last time any Super Hero movie had ratings that high?

Captain America: The First Avenger was at 80 and Captain America: Civil War scored a 90.

Guardians 2 had a better opening weekend but I think WW could have more staying power and surpass it domestically.

It's so hard to keep up with Texags' opinion of whether critics are unquestionably right or whether they are idiots who couldn't tie their shoes straight, let alone sit in judgement if a movie.

The more I think about WW, the more I consider it a fun, but flawed, movie. A solid enjoyable B, but full of little mistakes that stand in the way of making it a classic super hero flicK.

I'm glad folks are enjoying it, but this film is not above criticism.
Bruce Almighty
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

TCTTS said:

You realize that TCTTS review would have been positive on rotten tomatoes right?
FL_Ag1998
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

TCTTS said:

As an example of how I think people are overreacting to a likely good but not great movie, I present the following review from here on Texags...

Quote:

I agree. Yes. Better than all of them.

Nolans batmans a distant second.

I think it's because she represents this ideal, amazing woman that I wish actually existed in my life. She was such a badass.

This poster wasn't in love with the movie, he was in love with Wonder Woman.

Another poster relayed a story of a male friend's Facebook post bragging how proud he was to have seen and supported this movie (because it's a female protagonist).

I have no doubt that this is a fun movie and I plan on seeing it, possibly in the theaters. But I seriously doubt its the end all be all of superhero movies. I think there's many people who really wanted a DC movie to be good that are getting caught up in the hype because this one is actually decent.
fig96
AG
I think this is pretty spot on.

No one here is hating on it, at worst folks are saying it's a lot of fun and entertaining. Personally, I didn't leave the theater caring enough about the characters in this film for it to be on the level of GotG or Iron Man.
BBRex
AG
Gal Gadot is what makes this movie. She's hot, but she also plays the character right. She's comfortable in the character and never appears to try too hard to make her a superhero. Then the chemistry with Chris Pine sort of seals it. The overall story is good, with a few missteps, and the actions scenes are more good than bad. But you never shake the belief that she IS Wonder Woman.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
BBRex said:

Gal Gadot is what makes this movie. She's hot, but she also plays the character right. She's comfortable in the character and never appears to try too hard to make her a superhero. Then the chemistry with Chris Pine sort of seals it. The overall story is good, with a few missteps, and the actions scenes are more good than bad. But you never shake the belief that she IS Wonder Woman.

THIS.

Note: I think part of what really helps this is besides the look and demeanor, I don't know Gal Gadot from anything else. She wasn't an actor I already knew and therefore there was no suspension of disbelief. She is and always will be WW in my eyes because she totally owned this role in the same way Christopher Reeves was just Superman. And yes I can remember Linda Carter as WW, but not so ingrained because it wasn't a movie and I didn't watch it multiple times over the years.

A lot of superhero movies (most really) I already knew the lead actor from many other things so they were just playing the role to me (Iron Man, Spiderman, Batman, etc.).

fig96
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

iWonder Woman has a 93 on Rotten Tomatoes (both critics and audience). When was the last time any Super Hero movie had ratings that high?

Um, Logan like 2 months ago

It's fun and get why it appeals to people, and there's nothing wrong with liking it a lot. It just wasn't as compelling as Iron Man, either Guardians, or Winter Soldier.

If you disagree, more power to you. Discussing this stuff is one of the best things about movies.
Living Legend
AG
Enjoyed Wonder Woman much more than Guardians of the Galaxy.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'd probably rank it 5th best DC movie all time behind the two Burton Batman movies and the first two Nolan Batman movies. I do think it was better than TDKR though. As far as how it ranks with the best of all of Marvel, I doubt I'd put it in the top 10.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Couldn't agree more, especially your first paragraph.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's what's causing genuine confusion to me, and a perfect example of why I hardly trust RT scores anymore.

It's a good movie, but I am honestly curious if there was something I missed that is causing all the rave reviews. Mentioning this as a top 5 superhero movie is a little ridiculous.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.