*** WONDER WOMAN ***

86,186 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just bought my ticket for Thursday.
rhutton125
AG
Well I'll be. Guess I may be seeing this in theaters instead of HBO next year.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Bought my tickets to catch it Friday at the Alamo Drafthouse. This will be my first DC movie since Man of Steel. Looking forward to kicking off the summer movie season with it.
G Martin 87
AG
TCTTS said:

Reviews just hit... 41 so far and counting. 95% on RT.

Who would have thought DC would screw up Superman and Batman this bad, but apparently get Wonder Woman this right?

Can't wait to see for myself this weekend.
I'm optimistic, but I can't help wondering how much of the advance positive buzz is due to reviewers afraid to say anything negative about a superhero movie with a female lead before release. If it were truly awful, someone would no doubt have the courage to say so. But what if it's merely OK?
Sapper Redux
Have you read any of the reviews? This isn't false hype of a meh movie that I'm seeing. It looks like folks genuinely enjoy all but the last 30 minutes or so, where it looks like it falls into too much world building for the rest of the D.C. Universe.
swimmerbabe11
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/30/wonder-woman-review-gal-gadot-reduced-to-weaponised-smurfette

I care nothing about this review except the term "weaponized smurfette" which I hope to one day have an opportune to organically steal.
rhutton125
AG
IGN gave a 7.9 for some of the aforementioned reasons, like a late fight that looks like a 2005 video game cutscene. Which is my biggest fear, honestly.

If it's the video I saw last week where she fights Danny Huston, then yeah... I was not at all impressed. I've definitely seen worse, but the thing I care about most in these movies is the action.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
rhutton125 said:

IGN gave a 7.9 for some of the aforementioned reasons

Should be pointed out that they also gave that score to Captain America Civil War, and GoTG 2
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
DC
Weimerica
G Martin 87 said:

TCTTS said:

Reviews just hit... 41 so far and counting. 95% on RT.

Who would have thought DC would screw up Superman and Batman this bad, but apparently get Wonder Woman this right?

Can't wait to see for myself this weekend.
I'm optimistic, but I can't help wondering how much of the advance positive buzz is due to reviewers afraid to say anything negative about a superhero movie with a female lead before release. If it were truly awful, someone would no doubt have the courage to say so. But what if it's merely OK?
If the movie is anything like the trailers then it will be good if not great. This isn't Ghostbusters where the trailers were terrible and the movie was already divisive because of the subject matter.

I wouldn't be concerned. Wonder Woman is basically the female version of Superman just with magical origins. There is no reason an absolutely solid movie could not be made with the character.
rhutton125
AG
It may benefit from a little bit of the Luke Cage affect - "this is the hero we need" kind of hype. But we don't have to wait long to see what audiences think.
GiveEmHellBill
AG

"Superman and Batman create the DCEU.
The DCEU hires Zack Snyder.
Zack Snyder almost destroys Superman and Batman."

"The DCEU hires a woman.
The woman directs Wonder Woman.
Wonder Woman saves the DCEU."
Bruce Almighty
AG
Guess I'll be seeing this now
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hah.
Sapper Redux
swimmerbabe11 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/30/wonder-woman-review-gal-gadot-reduced-to-weaponised-smurfette

I care nothing about this review except the term "weaponized smurfette" which I hope to one day have an opportune to organically steal.

I hope Michael Bay didn't read that review. We'll wind up with a Smurfs-Transformers crossover.
Dro07
AG
I am interested enough to possibly give this a shot. Like someone stated previously it maybe the best DCEU movie to date but thats not saying much.

Does anyone know if this is going to involve any other gods? I would think that with World War going on that maybe the God of War would play a part.
Weimerica
dromo07 said:

I am interested enough to possibly give this a shot. Like someone stated previously it maybe the best DCEU movie to date but thats not saying much.

Does anyone know if this is going to involve any other gods? I would think that with World War going on that maybe the God of War would play a part.
Yes it will, I won't say anything else.
Dro07
TajMaballer
AG
I wonder how this will impact the box office. Let's start the guessing game!

Opening Weekend: I'm going on the high end and saying 130
Domestic: 325
World Wide Total: 825
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I'm going to be a bit lower (but they already have $40 from my family for a Saturday afternoon showing) and say it'll be over $100 million....but not by much.

Wait.....scratch that. I have to remember that "Pirates" didn't light up the box office last weekend and will probably be ignored this weekend by the Amazonian. That means that the last "big" movie that we've seen so far this summer is "Guardians vol 2" which came out four weeks ago. That means that there is a lot of pent up energy to see a well-reviewed blockbuster right now. I know I am anxious.

I'm going to say that it'll be helped by glowing reviews and lack of other good options and will cruise to $115 million at the box office.

Also, I found this poster on another site and IMO it's my favorite:

Quad Dog
AG
I'll make a prediction that Chris Pine's Steve Trevor steals the movie and DC immediately announces a standalone Steve Trevor trilogy with Steven Spielberg attached to direct.
Dro07
AG
I am just wondering how much of a Beta he is going to be
West Point Aggie
AG
Does she wear anything under that or is her cooter fully exposed...?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I figure this will finish out with a bit less than $1B. I've been getting a Captain America The First Avenger vibe with this, and it actually looks like a solid movie with a good bit of comedy interspersed, and not such a dark movie like Suicide Squad or BvS.

They already have $30 out of my family for Saturday evening. Happy birthday to me.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
West Point Aggie said:

That will be revealed in the X-rated Director's cut blu-ray ....
schmendeler
AG
West Point Aggie said:

I know what I'd like to think the answer is.
Dro07
AG
West Point Aggie said:

She is wearing the same material her plane is made of under there.
Sex Panther
AG
Luke Cage has a 96% on RT

Not buying the critics on this one for reasons others have stated
TajMaballer
AG
Sex Panther said:

They really need a different metric for TV Shows cause they don't judge the whole season, just a few episodes.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Sex Panther said:

Agreed. I'll decide based on the reviews here on Texags, if I go by anything at all.
AliasMan02
AG
TajMaballer said:

Sex Panther said:

They really need a different metric for TV Shows cause they don't judge the whole season, just a few episodes.

Agree, and the first half of Luke Cage was strong.
rhutton125
AG
I've officially lost perspective on what box office runs are worth, because I had the thought today that perhaps Guardians 2 is a slight box office disappointment since it likely won't hit a billion. Not so - it's currently about 5th of the entire MCU and is still doing well in the box office (though a big release comes each week, now).

No way this one sniffs a billion, but that doesn't make it a disappointment. I'm thinking more in the $600M range overall, 600-700, which is very solid overall. That's Doctor Strange, Iron Man 2, Thor 2 type money (which is to say, quite a bit). On a (relatively) smaller budget, to boot.
TCTTS
AG
Bunk Moreland
I thought the trailer was awesome way back when I first saw it. Glad to see it's getting good reviews, but also hesitant to buy into them as many of you have already stated.

Hope it's good.
Max Power
AG
Dr. Watson said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

I hope Michael Bay didn't read that review. We'll wind up with a Smurfs-Transformers crossover.
If the transformers fight the smurfs in the next film I'm 100% in. But only if they fight each other, I have no interest in them teaming up to fight Gargamel and Azrael.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.