*** WONDER WOMAN ***

86,175 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw it last night. It was okay. I wonder if the lead was a man if it would still be hanging at 93%. I suspect not.
TCTTS
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

TCTTS said:

Again, it's not about believable vs. unbelievable. I don't know how I can make that more clear. It's about the implications thematically.

And I don't know how I can make it more clear - it matters not to me and lots of people.

I'm not talking about the plot/theme/etc. ALL of their powers are unbelievable. "Grounded in science" or not it's all FICTION and anything is possible. A god or god-like powers are no different - TO ME.

Great movie, great portrayal and great story. And that aspect did not detract at all. I leave all suspension of disbelief at the door in a superhero movie. They change, rewrite, rebirth and repurpose crap all the time.

Anyway. you have your opinion. I have mine. Leave it at that.

Let me put it this way...

With aliens, uber-sci-fi, alternate dimensions and the like, there's still an inherent understanding that man is responsible for himself and the evil in the world. He can be brainwashed, hypnotized, influenced, etc., but those aren't THE reasons why certain men - or most men - are inherently bad - or just *human.*

However, with Greek gods as Wonder Woman proposes, man is no longer responsible for evil in the world. And in a genre where good vs. evil is the primary conflict, that has massive implications. It becomes less about responsibility for ones actions, and instead about simply avoiding the influence of Ares/the gods.

And for me at least, that's incredibly hard to just ignore going forward.
ScottishFire
AG
Ouch.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
fig96 said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

TCTTS said:

Again, it's not about believable vs. unbelievable. I don't know how I can make that more clear. It's about the implications thematically.

And I don't know how I can make it more clear - it matters not to me and lots of people.

I'm not talking about the plot/theme/etc. ALL of their powers are unbelievable. "Grounded in science" or not it's all FICTION and anything is possible. A god or god-like powers are no different - TO ME.

Great movie, great portrayal and great story. And that aspect did not detract at all. I leave all suspension of disbelief at the door in a superhero movie. They change, rewrite, rebirth and repurpose crap all the time.

Um, you're the one arguing about it.

Am I not entitled to my opinion?

I stated it. then others started replying to me.

And to be perfectly clear I did not reply to ANYONE specifically. So I wasn't starting an argument. Just stating my opinion.

fig96
AG
Dude, you restated everything the previous post said and how it was dumb. You didn't reply, but you did.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Huh? You specifically replied to TCTTS and laughed off his opinion.
TCTTS
AG
But he didn't actually hit the reply arrow. HUGE difference.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

No I did not. thats an absolute lie. Look back at my post on the previous page. I replied to NO ONE, I quoted NO ONE and despite what fig says I also did not restate what anyone said.

I didn't even reply to anyone specifically in my second follow-up post.

and TC was far from the only one jumping on gods aspect.

I was speaking in general.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jeffk
AG
They probably explained it and I missed it, but what was Ares' motivation for helping send WW and crew to the front? Just to test her mettle?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

No I did not. thats an absolute lie. Look back at my post on the previous page. I replied to NO ONE, I quoted NO ONE and despite what fig says I also did not restate what anyone said.

I didn't even reply to anyone specifically in my second follow-up post.

and TC was far from the only one jumping on gods aspect.

I was speaking in general.

You're so full of ***** TCTTS says he draws the line with greek gods and then the very next post in your LMAO post, you reply with this direct quote "Drawing the line at "gods" in a "superhero" movie...... makes me lol". You were replying to him no matter how much you want to deny it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Personally I had just caught up on the whole thread from yesterday sometime. I read a lot more than just that post.

2 pages before queso and seattle mentioned the god angle as a criticism also. And on that page others had echoed TC's belief.

Did I reply right there...yeah that was where the thread was at the time.

Believe whatever you want I got no beef with TC and it wasn't personal. Like I said everyone has their own opinions. Hell I've defended TC probably 95% or more of the time on Ent. threads including the (stupid) uproar over the Silicon Valley leak/spoiler that wasn't either.

It's nothing personal. Don't know why anyone is getting bent out of shape about my opinion either. just weird. Superhero movies can do whatever they want (my opinion) it's all unbelievable anyway and thematically it's a non issue (to me).
TCTTS
AG
Missed that explanation as well. No idea.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll speak for myself, but I'm not the least bit upset or bent out of shape. Just thought it was fairly clear you were posting that in response to TC's post. Apologies.

Bottom line is everyone has a right to their opinion whether it falls in line with the popular opinion or not. And for the record, you're one of my favorite posters on this board.
ScottishFire
AG
It seems like he wanted to destroy her initially, but he had the idea to show her man's depravity and bend towards darkness in order to distort her rosy view of man's world. After spoiling her worldview and showing her man's state (in his opinion), he planned to graft Diana into his plans, and they could double team the destruction of mankind.

Those are just my thoughts.
TCTTS
AG
Makes sense. Good explanation.
_lefraud_
AG
I thought I was watching a Marvel film, from the battle on the beach and especially after the no man's land scene.

And then the battle with Ares happened, and it felt like the end of BvS or even an Xmen movie. It tried waaaaay to hard to be this huge glorious battle, and it just didn't fit.

Gadot was amazing, and she looked so damn good. I enjoyed WW more than I enjoyed TDK. Does that make WW a "better" movie than TDK? Probably not, as I won't convince anyone that it actually is. But watching WW (and Gadot) was a fun night at the theater.
TCTTS
AG
I think the most surprising thing in all of this is how much TexAgs is unanimously loving Godot. Because when she was originally cast, this board was irate. People hated the choice, almost universally. So many claims of her being too skinny, not American, a bad actress, etc. Funny what actually watching the movie can do. And don't get me wrong, I wasn't enthusiastic about the choice either. Just interesting to see it play out like this. That said, I also didn't think she knocked it out of the park either. She definitely delivered what was required of her, and there really was a nice, Christopher Reeve-like quality to her performance, but she didn't exactly wow me either. Like the movie itself, I thought she was serviceable to good at times, but nothing more.
CrazyDayDuck
Zombie Jon Snow said:

fig96 said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

TCTTS said:

And to be perfectly clear I did not reply to ANYONE specifically. So I wasn't starting an argument. Just stating my opinion.

Don't waste your time.

This board is an echo chamber of people who want to give Wonder Women a "Meh" rating.

We both know better. Not many movies get a 93 Rotten Tomatoes rating by both the critics and the audience. It's greatness any way you slice it.

And now we have people here insinuating that it only got 93 on account that Gal Gabot is a hottie. As if 93% of the film critics made their judgement solely on Gadot's sex appeal. This is becoming comical.

And I had people insinuate that I was a misongynist for not thinking Kim is a Saint on Better Call Saul. FTR, that character is not only Saul's f Buddy, she's gone along with some of his cons. Some saint.

Although I have to admit, this board is definitely "Entertainment".

BTW, you are 100% right on the suspension of disbelief, as you are on comic characters basically being rewritten every 30-40 years. I had a comic com friend get indignant over this Wonder Woman using a sword. In his words, "Wonder Woman doesn't have a sword!" Well this one does, get over it.
CrazyDayDuck
TCTTS said:

I think the most surprising thing in all of this is how much TexAgs is unanimously loving Godot. Because when she was originally cast, this board was irate. People hated the choice, almost universally. So many claims of her being too skinny, not American, a bad actress, etc. Funny what actually watching the movie can do. And don't get me wrong, I wasn't enthusiastic about the choice either. Just interesting to see it play out like this. That said, I also didn't think she knocked it out of the park either. She definitely delivered what was required of her, and there really was a nice, Christopher Reeve-like quality to her performance, but she didn't exactly wow me either. Like the movie itself, I thought she was serviceable to good at times, but nothing more.

It's spelled "Gadot".
CrazyDayDuck
jeffk said:

They probably explained it and I missed it, but what was Ares' motivation for helping send WW and crew to the front? Just to test her mettle?

I think my wife said it best. Ares was just keeping an eye on his enemy.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll speak for myself, but I'm not the least bit upset or bent out of shape. Just thought it was fairly clear you were posting that in response to TC's post. Apologies.

Bottom line is everyone has a right to their opinion whether it falls in line with the popular opinion or not. And for the record, you're one of my favorite posters on this board.

Ditto.

Bruce Almighty
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

fig96 said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

TCTTS said:

Don't waste your time.

This board is an echo chamber of people who want to give Wonder Women a "Meh" rating.

We both know better. Not many movies get a 93 Rotten Tomatoes rating by both the critics and the audience. It's greatness any way you slice it.

And now we have people here insinuating that it only got 93 on account that Gal Gabot is a hottie. As if 93% of the film critics made their judgement solely on Gadot's sex appeal. This is becoming comical.

And I had people insinuate that I was a misongynist for not thinking Kim is a Saint on Better Call Saul. FTR, that character is not only Saul's f Buddy, she's gone along with some of his cons. Some saint.

Although I have to admit, this board is definitely "Entertainment".

BTW, you are 100% right on the suspension of disbelief, as you are on comic characters basically being rewritten every 30-40 years. I had a comic com friend get indignant over this Wonder Woman using a sword. In his words, "Wonder Woman doesn't have a sword!" Well this one does, get over it.

You are seriously overreacting to people saying it was good but not great. Nobody on here is being a contrarian and nobody on here said it was meh.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Why would anyone actively want a movie to be "meh"? You do realize how dumb that sounds, right? I payed $14 for a ticket, plus even more $$$ for parking, popcorn, and a drink. Why the hell would I at least not want to get my money's worth, not to mention not waste the four hours it took out of my day (or, added up, all the time I've spent discussing it here over the past few months)? I wanted nothing more than for this movie to be good, and despite my issues with it (and thoroughly/level-headedly explaining those issues), I've gone out of my way to name/compliment the things I did like about it and give credit where credit is due. This idea that those of us who aren't head-over-heals in love with it are taking that stance because we simply want to be contrarians - or somehow stupidly want to sh*t on it - is so incredibly reductive, insecure, and misguided.
TCTTS
AG
Aggie_Journalist
AG
TCTTS - On the frustration with Ares being responsible for all the evil men do, I think Ares said he never influenced men or made them do anything, he just whispered in their ears how to build new weapons, and then humans used those new weapons to kill each other entirely of their free will.

Did anyone else get that impression, or am I off base?
TCTTS
AG
You might be right, but one of the main takeaways informing my argument is the shots of the Nazi soldiers at the very end, right after Ares is finally killed. They act as if they've awaken from a daze (or evil spell), just as Diana said they would early in the movie. Then one of them even hugs the Native American guy. That right there tells me it wasn't just Ares whispering in ears, but rather actually influencing minds, decisions, desires, etc.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Valid point. That was weird to me too. But remember, there weren't nazis yet in WW1.
Thanks and gig'em
Cromagnum
AG
It was good but not great. I like almost all of Marvel's offering better than this, and all of Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy too. Still worth watching once.
TCTTS
AG
Excuse me... Germans. Ares hadn't created Nazis yet.
Ag Since 83
AG
I just need someone to tell me if Ares makes the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

I think the most surprising thing in all of this is how much TexAgs is unanimously loving Godot. Because when she was originally cast, this board was irate. People hated the choice, almost universally. So many claims of her being too skinny, not American, a bad actress, etc. Funny what actually watching the movie can do.
I believe this board was the same kind of up in arms 55 years ago when Ben Affleck was first cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman, and after BvS finally came out, he was praised as being among the best aspects of that movie.
AgMarauder04
AG
As a regular politics baord poster, you recognize the irony of calling this place an echo chamber, yes?
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

I think the most surprising thing in all of this is how much TexAgs is unanimously loving Godot. Because when she was originally cast, this board was irate. People hated the choice, almost universally. So many claims of her being too skinny, not American, a bad actress, etc. Funny what actually watching the movie can do.
I believe this board was the same kind of up in arms 55 years ago when Ben Affleck was first cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman, and after BvS finally came out, he was praised as being among the best aspects of that movie.

Indeed. I've been here for the casting meltdowns of Heath Ledger, Affleck, and Gadot. All universally panned at the outset, all universally praised once the movie finally came out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.