*** WONDER WOMAN ***

86,176 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I finally got around to seeing this and it was alright. Good, not great. I think the hype might have ruined it somewhat for me. I need to watch it again and give it another shot.
wangus12
AG
Dude. 93% on RT is the definition of all time greatness
rhutton125
AG
It's 92% and 90% audience score now too so I guess it's not perfection anymore.
MooreTrucker
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I finally got around to seeing this and it was alright. Good, not great. I think the hype might have ruined it somewhat for me. I need to watch it again and give it another shot.
How does that work? Great is great.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Nah, you're spot on. It was good, but not worthy of the over the top raves some have made over it. It was good, not great. I'd put it near the top of the middle-tier Marvel movies.
MooreTrucker
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Nah, you're spot on. It was good, but not worthy of the over the top raves some have made over it. It was good, not great. I'd put it near the top of the middle-tier Marvel movies.
I'd put it somewhere in the lower top tier myself. I loved it. But I admit to being influenced by her hotness as much as anything.
Farmer1906
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Farmer1906 said:

How does that work? Great is great.
Expectations matter.

I went in expecting a great superhero movie. I don't think it cracks my top 15.
MandoArms
What's your top 15?
Farmer1906
AG
BrownCoat said:

What's your top 15?

Top Tier
GotG
GotG2
Winter Soldier
The Dark Knight
Avengers
Ironman

2nd Tier
Deadpool
SpiderMan Homecoming
Logan
Civil War
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Future Past
Batman Begins

3rd Tier
Antman
Dr Strange
Captain America First Avenger
Avengers AOU
Spiderman 1 & 2 (doesn't hold up well IMO)

It probably fits in with the 3rd tier somewhere
MooreTrucker
AG
My re-doing of that list:

Top Tier
GotG
GotG2
Deadpool
Winter Soldier
Wonder Woman
The Dark Knight
Avengers
Ironman

2nd Tier
Civil War
Avengers AOU
Batman Begins

3rd Tier
Antman
Captain America First Avenger
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Future Past
BvS simply as the lead in to WW and JL

SpiderMan Homecoming - I haven't seen either of these yet
Logan
Farmer1906
AG
Both are great. Spidey was very well done. Best Spidey yet and near my tier 1.

Logan had a very serious tone. Very intense because the stakes felt real.

Like I said. Maybe my second watching will be better.
Always_Right
AG
I thought it was horrible but I'm not a huge movie fan, I enjoy tv series more.
All my hope is in Jesus, thank God my yesterday's gone.
FL_Ag1998
AG
MooreTrucker said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I'd put it somewhere in the lower top tier myself. I loved it. But I admit to being influenced by her hotness as much as anything.

Maayybe at the bottom of the top tier, but above Dark Knight? C'mon.
MooreTrucker
AG
Yeah, I kinda debated the exact order. Like I said, hotness.
Farmer1906
AG
I didn't put my tiers in order.
MooreTrucker
AG
Oh, OK. I just used yours and added WW (and Bvs for context). What I had was not my true list, just how I viewed the ones you listed.
YouBet
AG
I watched part of The Dark Knight two nights ago for the first time in a long time. That movie is f'ing greatness even considering Heath Ledger by himself.

It changes my opinion of Jared Leto's Joker for the worse..if that's even possible. Ledger's performance is one of the all-time greats. Simply incredible.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Ledger's performance has depth...he IS the character. Even more than that, you not only believe he's the character, you feel the tension that he brings to this movie world of Gotham.

Leto's performace is superficial and exaggerated, clownish to the point of being laughable.
Madmarttigan
AG
Finally watched this and I wasn't that interested in it but ended up being pleasantly surprised. I liked it a lot and think it is one of the better comic book movies in a while.
GoAgs92
AG
Movie was predictable and relatively dull.

Brick Tamland
The titular superhero saves the day? No way!
Trident 88
AG
I thought this movie was better than Black Panther.

Both were good, but neither one was nearly as awesome as the Press made them out to be for obvious reasons.
Urban Ag
AG
I haven't seen Black Panther. Did finally see WW a few weeks ago. It's really hard to get tired of watching gal. I could watch her fold clothes. But WW was just ok for me. Good for the most part. Really lost interest in the final fight scene which I thought was pretty lame.
Trident 88
AG
It wasn't that long ago when I was wondering how that hot but way too skinny chick from Fast and Furious was going to be able to fill the boots of WW.
But now?

I'm not sure they could have done a better job, and she's still so damn hot, too. So damn hot...
DTP02
AG
Finally saw this move over the weekend. It really was not that great, and nowhere close to as good as the reviews. It's really disappointing to see so much hype that clearly had to be attributable to the PC factor. Black Panther got some of that, but that was an objectively good movie that just got some over the top praise because of the PC/SJW elements.

Wonder Woman was close to not even being a good movie at all. One of my sons is a huge Marvel movie fan, and he actually just stopped watching the movie and left the room.

I feel like there is an "Emperor's New Clothes" effect going on with this movie. This movie is trying to be Marvel, but I can't think of a Marvel move in the current MCU which would be worse. It wasn't close to as bad as Batman v Superman, but given the hype and the (clearly grading on a curve) RT reviews, it was arguably even more disappointing.

About the only thing I can agree with re the excessive praise for this movie is that the look of Wonder Woman, from Gal Gadot to the costuming, was great, but we already had a good idea of that from her appearance in Batman v Superman.

Urban Ag
AG
Great post. I finally saw BP last night and I thought it was great. The cast was fantastic. The writing was great. Just a really, really, enjoyable movie.

WW was alright but so much of it just dragged for me. Seen it on HBO several times since and I just can't hold my interest at all.
RAB91
I also just saw BP this weekend. While I thought it was good, I didn't think it was anything special. I definitely enjoyed WW much more, but I thought BP was about the same as the Captain America films. BP felt like it was elevated to a higher level just because of the PC factor (even more so than WW).
SteveA
AG
Quote:

Great post. I finally saw BP last night and I thought it was great. The cast was fantastic. The writing was great. Just a really, really, enjoyable movie.
I thought the writing in Black Panther was kind of lazy. We have this whole secret, advanced society that's more technologically advanced than the rest of the world, but it all can crumble because one dude can beat the other one up in a river? This is how they choose their leaders and is critical to the plot of the movie. While I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was as good as the hype.
Brick Tamland
Wonder Woman was a better movie than Black Panther, in my opinion. I actually had a good time at WW, and left BP feeling like I got cheated out of a good movie. What WW lacks in a villain is made up in the rest of the movie. BP lacked for the most part all the way around. BP did a great job of also letting the non-titular characters shine more, but overall not as good as WW.

I can watch WW over and over, but I'll never watch BP again. I love Chadwick Boseman, but still.
Brick Tamland
That said, I am willing to bet Black Panther 2 will be a better movie than Wonder Woman 2.
MooreTrucker
AG
RAB91 said:

I also just saw BP this weekend. While I thought it was good, I didn't think it was anything special. I definitely enjoyed WW much more, but I thought BP was about the same as the Captain America films. BP felt like it was elevated to a higher level just because of the PC factor (even more so than WW).
This was my reaction too. Partly because of the hotness of Gal, but overall I just liked WW better. BP was OK, and needed top be seen before IW just to gain knowledge of the characters. But nothing special.
rhutton125
AG
I have to try hard to make sure the 3rd act of WW doesn't taint my opinion of the rest of the film. Because that final battle was dog ****.

I can never forgive the decision to give Ares a twirly mustache, even in his armored form. Just... WTF. The opposite of intimidating.
Brick Tamland
I understand giving it to his "feeble" form to make him less intimidating/suspect, but they should have had him turn into Gerard Butler from 300 with armor and make him more menacing/God of War-like
DTP02
AG
rhutton125 said:

I have to try hard to make sure the 3rd act of WW doesn't taint my opinion of the rest of the film. Because that final battle was dog ****.

I can never forgive the decision to give Ares a twirly mustache, even in his armored form. Just... WTF. The opposite of intimidating.
I thought the final battle was one of the worse climaxes in a blockbuster we've seen, and the sidekick crew was closer to caricatures than characters. It was like a B movie version of Captain America. They just missed the mark on so many things that it all added up to something far worse than its acclaim.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
One of the best parts of WW was seeing how excited my girlfriend was to finally have a superhero movie where the lead was a kickass woman.

A year later, I'd probably score it an 8/10 based on my recollection of it. A flawed movie, but a fun one for most of the ride.
Thanks and gig'em

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.