*** WONDER WOMAN ***

86,173 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
Dro07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No way bro you got girl power on this one. Little girls will want to see this one so will little boys and bunch of guys will also. They will do pretty good I think because of this.
20ag07
There is no way this movie opens to $100M+ domestic. No way. Just not happening. $85M opening weekend. Overperforms WBs expectations. "Look how much progress we have seen". "Wonder Woman single handedly saved the dismal summer 2017 box office. ". "Overall better than expected for the first time for a DC movie, etc." Goalpost shuffling all over the place.

It's been a bad summer, and it's going to get even worse. But as much as Universal and Disney want to complain that WB owned Rotten Tomatoes was the reason their Baywatch and Pirates underperformed (and not the correct answer of poor marketing), WB won't be able to turn around and squeeze out $100M with good reviews on a movie that should have opened to $50 or $60M.
rhutton125
AG
As of this morning, Wonder Woman is the best-reviewed comic book movie of all time. Ima go ahead and call BS on that.

Now, I know that RottenTomatoes' metrics mean that 97% of critics found a movie to be more good than bad, and not that it's an A+++ film. Also, comparing tomatometer scores isn't really fair. But for the sake of argument: better reviewed than the Dark Knight? Iron Man? Spider-Man 2? I think there's a good bit of the Luke Cage affect there.

A friend of mine saw it last night in Hong Kong and called it "decently entertaining." I'm going to do my best to carry that kind of expectation into the theater with me, and not 97% better-than-Oscar-winners-scores expectation.
Duncan Idaho
dromo07 said:

No way bro you got girl power on this one. Little girls will want to see this one so will little boys and bunch of guys will also. They will do pretty good I think because of this.

I will watch it because that b be fine.
Bruce Almighty
AG
rhutton125 said:

As of this morning, Wonder Woman is the best-reviewed comic book movie of all time. Ima go ahead and call BS on that.

Now, I know that RottenTomatoes' metrics mean that 97% of critics found a movie to be more good than bad, and not that it's an A+++ film. Also, comparing tomatometer scores isn't really fair. But for the sake of argument: better reviewed than the Dark Knight? Iron Man? Spider-Man 2? I think there's a good bit of the Luke Cage affect there.

A friend of mine saw it last night in Hong Kong and called it "decently entertaining." I'm going to do my best to carry that kind of expectation into the theater with me, and not 97% better-than-Oscar-winners-scores expectation.
Its got about 70 reviews and will end up with over 200. Rotten tomato ratings always go down closer to movie release. It'll probably stay over 90 percent, but I'll be shocked if it ends up over 94 percent.
Sapper Redux
rhutton125 said:

Metacritic has the movie in the same league as the three you mentioned but just below them. 77 for Wonder Woman vs 79 for Iron Man, 83 for Spider Man 2, and 82 for The Dark Knight. I'm not sure where this anger at Wonder Woman is coming from, but it looks like people genuinely like it.
Dro07
AG
I don't think there is anger from it doing great more like we haven't seen a DCEU movie that has been good so its skepticism.
rhutton125
AG
For sure. I'm not angry, just... wary. The action looks to be the opposite of what I want in a superhero film, so I'm extra cautious. But we all have our preferences!
FL_Ag1998
AG
Dr. Watson said:

rhutton125 said:

Metacritic has the movie in the same league as the three you mentioned but just below them. 77 for Wonder Woman vs 79 for Iron Man, 83 for Spider Man 2, and 82 for The Dark Knight. I'm not sure where this anger at Wonder Woman is coming from, but it looks like people genuinely like it.

I dont know if it's anger as much as it is incredulity at A) the possibility of DC/WB making an amazing movie after the misfires of MoS, BvS, and SS, and B) the escalating reviews and monetary expectations of action movies that are becoming almost ridiculous, as long as the movie is given a decent critical reception.

It seems as if once the general critical reception is in the majority positive, that an action movie is instantly projected to make at least $150 million on opening weekend alone. That's an insane target. Or maybe its not. Maybe those of you more studied in the industry can convince me its a perfectly acceptable expectation. But it seems like every single big name action movie that comes out (comic book movies, F&F movies, etc) is instantly projected by the seemingly infinite number of industry "experts" these days to make a rapidly escalating opening day profit. At this point just seems like some of these projections are more of the industry experts working themselves into a self-induced frenzy.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
20ag07 said:

There is no way this movie opens to $100M+ domestic. No way. Just not happening. $85M opening weekend. Overperforms WBs expectations. "Look how much progress we have seen". "Wonder Woman single handedly saved the dismal summer 2017 box office. ". "Overall better than expected for the first time for a DC movie, etc." Goalpost shuffling all over the place.

It's been a bad summer, and it's going to get even worse. But as much as Universal and Disney want to complain that WB owned Rotten Tomatoes was the reason their Baywatch and Pirates underperformed (and not the correct answer of poor marketing), WB won't be able to turn around and squeeze out $100M with good reviews on a movie that should have opened to $50 or $60M.
"It's been a bad summer"? Seriously, "summer" this year started in March. Beauty & the Beast, Logan, Boss Baby (!), Kong: Skull Island and Power Rangers made a combined $1 billion domestic. Add in a quarter billion domestic in April for F8 and $350 million domestic for Guardians vol 2 (and still climbing) and the box office just since March has been insane. If you go back to February, you add in Lego Batman, Get Out (which blew up), Fifty Shades Darker and John Wick 2.
AgMarauder04
AG
I wonder how much of the reviewing is based on it being a woman-centric film? I'm not saying it's not deserved, but I wonder if critics were more forgiving based upon that fact and wanted/needed it to be good (both given DC's abject failure to turn out a good movie and the horrid product that was the Ghostbusters remake) that they went into it planning to like it and the reviews reflected that?

Also, common denominator is NOT ZAC SNYDER. He's great visually, but I'm excited for him NOT being in charge. I'm excited to see it.
Duncan Idaho
dromo07 said:

I don't think there is anger from it doing great more like we haven't seen a DCEU movie that has been good so its skepticism.

Mr Sunday movies review made me interested in seeing it.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
dromo07 said:

To me it seems more like a lot of people want the DCEU to fail.
AliasMan02
AG
People want good DC movies. If the current incarnation blowing up is what gets that done, then people are for that. If WW is good, it can help right the ship and people will be more supportive.

Also, it's objectively hilarious how mismanaged the whole operation has been. Watching huge, out of touch corporations flail around is something many people root for.
Bunk Moreland
Brian Earl Spilner said:

dromo07 said:

Well to be fair, I want the entire comic book movie genre in general to fail. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy some of the good ones here and there. I'm just tired of its bloatedness and the effect it has on the rest of the **** Hollywood churns out.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

dromo07 said:

Well to be fair, I want the entire comic book movie genre in general to fail. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy some of the good ones here and there. I'm just tired of its bloatedness and the effect it has on the rest of the **** Hollywood churns out.

Hey! Don't blame Marvel's success for the Fast and Furious movies!
FL_Ag1998
GiveEmHellBill
AG
AliasMan02 said:

People want good DC movies. If the current incarnation blowing up is what gets that done, then people are for that. If WW is good, it can help right the ship and people will be more supportive.

Also, it's objectively hilarious how mismanaged the whole operation has been. Watching huge, out of touch corporations flail around is something many people root for.
Yes, people want good DC movies. Unfortunately, DC has hitched their wagon to Snyder, who has a great (but increasingly repetitive and almost self-parodying) visual style that isn't doing the movies any favors.
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

dromo07 said:

Lots of us who want to see really good DCEU films I think get accused of being overly negative or anti-DC, when it's more than we're holding the films to a higher standard and hate how haphazardly the universe is being assembled (particularly in comparison to Marvel's high bar).

Some people liked BvS but it wasn't a good film. MoS was ok, and Suicide Squad was flat out terrible. If you like them then hey, more power to you, but objectively looking at them they were poorly told stories and very tonally inconsistent.

I want to those movies to be good, but when I'm genuinely bothered by choices the characters are making I can't get on board. I'm hopeful that WW will be truly good. I'd love to see a great Batman film in particular, and they look to have the pieces in place with Matt Reeves and Batfleck (thought his solo Batscenes, in particular his intro and the warehouse fight, were the highlight of BvS). Still skeptical on JL but I'd love to be proven wrong.

So we want the DCEU to succeed, but to do that we need to see genuinely good films. And that hasn't happened yet.
Bruce Almighty
AG
The only people that want DC to fail are Marvel "fanboys" that have never read a comic book in their lives.
Sex Panther
AG
Definitely don't want DC to fail. I absolutely love Batman.

But I just do not care about Wonder Woman and think she's the lamest character ever.
TCTTS
AG
I just don't understand what's lame about using a glowing, golden lasso and owning an invisible jet.
mslags97
Duncan Idaho
Bruce Almighty said:

The only people that want DC to fail are Marvel "fanboys" that have never read a comic book in their lives.

And this that (rightfully) think Superman is the most boring main character in the history of literature
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Some people liked BvS but it wasn't a good film. MoS was ok, and Suicide Squad was flat out terrible. If you like them then hey, more power to you, but objectively looking at them they were poorly told stories and very tonally inconsistent.
Well MoS was objectively a great movie, in my opinion.
Ag Since 83
AG
True story: Wonder Woman's Invisible Jet is on display at the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field in Seattle. They have a sign and everything
GiveEmHellBill
AG

JuliusCaesarAggie
TCTTS said:

I just don't understand what's lame about using a glowing, golden lasso and owning an invisible jet.
Sapper Redux
FYI, you can see her plane in the posters.

Dro07
YouBet
AG
I can't wait to see this movie. It looks awesome. I might be more pumped than my wife. Hell, I've always told her that if we ever had a daughter I would insist on naming her Diana.

Having said that there is a 100% chance that the high rotten tomato scores are partially propped up by critics participating in virtue signaling. Many of them want this movie to succeed so there is going to be a bias in that direction. Women on my Facebook are literally desperate for this movie to be good. If it's as good as it looks it will be considered a major cultural point in movie history.

I bet it will kickstart the people naming their daughters Diana again. It's been an almost extinct name since Princess Diana died if not before.
AggieSouth06
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Well MoS was objectively a great movie, in my opinion.

One of these days you and I are going to find a movie we agree on, B. Today is not that day.
YouBet
AG
I've seen MoS probably 7-8 times now only because it is shown incessantly on tv and for whatever reason I will stop down and watch it when its on. I actually like that movie the more I've seen it. It definitely has some stupid, annoying crap in it but overall I like the movie.
TCTTS
AG
Man of Steel definitely has quite a few redeeming qualities, and I truly love the story they were attempting to tell. It's just that Snyder/Goyer botched so many crucial elements along the way. Superman "earning" his suit comes way to early/easy, his introduction to the world isn't via a heroic act but rather surrendering to the military (???), he never really saves anyone, and everything between him and Pa Kent thematically is so off key, contradictory, and strange (Pa Kent's death is still one of the dumbest on-screen deaths I've ever seen). On the technical side, it's been rehashed a hundred times, but Snyder's stupidly dark color palette, along with his experimental hand-held camera approach, just doesn't work at all either.

Overall, I'd break it down like this...

Direction = C
Writing = C+
Cast = A
Cinematography = C+
Production Design (costumes, sets, ships, etc.) = A+
Musical Score = A+
Action = B

What keeps the cast from an A+ is the complete lack of chemistry between Henry Cavill and Amy Adams. Both are good in their parts, but I hate to say that Louis needed to be younger. Otherwise, they cast the hell out of this movie across the board, and they really did get a lot right. That opening sequence on Krypton is so good, everything with Russell Crowe is top notch, the musical score is still the best of any blockbuster over the past five years or so, and the action is well-executed, save for the whole not saving anyone thing.

Had the movie been able to see just one more rewrite with a new writer, and actually gone with, you know, a properly colorful color palette, it could have been an all-timer. All the right ingredients were there. But instead, it's just a really frustrating movie with some truly fantastic elements strung throughout.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
It is kind of unforgivable that Snyder took the absolute perfect casting of Kevin Costner as Pa Kent and so royally screwed up that pivotal relationship.

Costner was soooo good and had the worst dialogue to have to give. I genuinely feel sorry for him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.