*** WONDER WOMAN ***

86,150 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
awinlonghorn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
best superhero movie since TDKR.

entertaining, good story, no crazy dark scenes where you cant see what the hell is going on (MOS, BVS, Every Thor movie)

Gadot and Pine had great chemistry i thought.
BassCowboy33
CrazyDayDuck said:

cone said:

well yeah

this was a good movie not great

maybe all super hero movies are on a curve

this wasn't iron man, though

Iron Man and The Dark Knight were both greatness.

So was Wonder Woman.

You do not get a 93 on RT by merely being good. Nor do you get 223 mil globally in the opening weekend by merely being good.

If Ironman is greatness, then TDK is on Olympus. Heck, they completely reorganized an Oscar category because of it.

I don't even rank Nolan's Batman films with other comic book movies, because to be real, it's not remotely close. It's simply unfair to comic book movies that are well to even very well made.
BassCowboy33
Cromagnum said:

BassCowboy33 said:

FancyKetchup14 said:

I saw it today and enjoyed it. If I compare it to Marvel I think it's better than the first installments of Cap and Thor...doesn't touch Civil War though. Gal played the role great and her and Pine's chemistry was on great display. Had I not known the RT score going in, I would have left expecting it to be in the 70% range.

Also, Gal Gadot Israeli hot.

Interesting. I consider Civil War to be one of the worst Marvel movies there is.

Wow, even above Captain America and Thor's entry movies or Ironman 3 ?

Loved the first two Cap movies. First Thor was ok, I liked the 2nd better (I realize I'm a minority on that one). Didn't like the last two Ironman films all that much. RDJ kind of ran his course on me. What put Civil War in back for me is that there are way, way too many characters. It's like being hit by a thousand strobe lights at a Pokmon convention (I feel the same about the second Avengers movie as well). I do understand that there are plenty of people who love those movies, though.
YouBet
AG
Great movie. My wife loved it.

I think folks getting upset about the god elements simply are uneducated about both D.C. and Marvels evolution over the last few decades. Hell, marvel has gods and entities that make Zeus look like the Lucky Charms leprechaun. You just aren't aware of them yet.

Agree on all of the little things that took away from the movie though.
Duncan Idaho
Saw it tonight. Good movie but God ****ing damn it y'all Gadot was almost too hot.
YouBet
AG
Agreed. She might be top 3 most beautiful women on the planet right now. She is almost unrealistically beautiful.
Noblemen06
AG
And comic nerds were complaining about her casting.
Recreational Nuke
Wrong forum.
Weimerica
Finally saw it tonight. I thought Gadot nailed Wonder Woman and Chris Pine nailed Steve Trevor. Definitely the best origin story I've seen since Batman Begins. The Themyscira parts were fantastic and exactly as I had envisioned it.

Gal Gadot will now be known as Wonder Woman pretty much forever just like Reeve was with Superman. I didn't think she had the chops but she clearly pulled it off and was fantastic in the role.

I am definitely looking forward to Justice League a lot more than I was before. If DC can pull off a movie about the Greek Gods then I am sure they can do a Justice League movie with the New Gods and the Green Lantern Corps.

Also, my wife thought it was really good and she normally doesn't like superhero movies.
RachAg2007
AG
I don't particularly care for superhero/comic book movies. I've seen a handful and there are only a couple that I have watched more than once- it's just not my thing.

I had no expectations for Wonder Woman and I really enjoyed the film. I don't think the script was perfect and the latter third part of the film (as others have mentioned) didn't quite hold up to the rest of it but overall it was great though I could watch the No Man's scene over and over again. The casting of Gadot and Pine were excellent choices. I'm thrilled a movie about a female superhero, directed by a woman did well at the box office and I hope it does well overseas. There is a new generation of girls who have Wonder Woman as their role model.

There are a lot of of ****ty movies out there- this is not one of them.
YouBet
AG
Someone else posted this but I was really surprised they didn't play her signature music in the No Man's Land scene. They hadn't really played it yet so that was an obvious time to introduce it plus it sounds cool. Don't get that.

At one point, I looked over at my 41 yr old wife and she was crossing her wrists like WW and giddy with joy. That was the best part of the movie for me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Had the exact same thought/complaint. That theme is badass, what better time to use it?

I think they use it twice in the whole movie, and just for a few seconds.
AliasMan02
AG
YouBet said:

I think folks getting upset about the god elements simply are uneducated about both D.C. and Marvels evolution over the last few decades. Hell, marvel has gods and entities that make Zeus look like the Lucky Charms leprechaun. You just aren't aware of them yet.

People aren't complaining that the gods are powerful. They're pointing out the narrative issues with how they were handled and the issues they cause going forward.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Had the exact same thought/complaint. That theme is badass, what better time to use it?

Could it be that this movie's composer did not write that theme?
Duncan Idaho
AliasMan02 said:

YouBet said:

People aren't complaining that the gods are powerful. They're pointing out the narrative issues with how they were handled and the issues they cause going forward.

What if I don't like any Gods period. The ones in marvel are stupid. The ones in DC are stupid.

The great characters in both if these universes are the vulnerable ones. The Tony Starks, the Batmans, the Robin's, the jokers, the dare devils, the Coulsons, the starlords, the groots, the rockets, etc.

The indestructible characters just getting boring really quick.
BassCowboy33
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I thought the scene where they finally used it was amazing. Something that awesome need not be overused.
BassCowboy33
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

The theme was first used in the BvS film. Not sure who composed it. Should be easy enough to find out.

Edit: Here's the scene that I'm talking about. It actually may have been used earlier in the move as well when Bruce is on his computer.

Wonder Woman Theme in BvS
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

It is #1 for 2nd weekend in a row beating out TC's The Mummy.

Really has good legs - the movie I mean, not Gadot.....but she does too.

rhutton125
AG
Saw it this weekend. Thought it was alright. A few points that really detracted from my overall opinion.

1) I've never put a ton of stock in the "comic book films have a villain problem" idea, but these villains were dog****. Not as bad as Suicide Squad - that's still the standard for awfulness - but they were not good. Specifically...

- Ludendorff and Dr Poison throwing a gas mask into the room as a joke, going KEHEHEHE and scurrying away. Very laughable. Felt like Rocky and Bullwinkle or something.
- The Ares battle, enough has been said about it.
- This thread took 13 pages for someone to mention Ares' mustache. That was damn silly. Even the day he was defeated by Zeus, he cried in a cave with that silly mustache? The God of War should not look like my uncle. Very, very poor fit.

I get that it's an origin story and the villains aren't really the point, but this was worse than Malekith in Thor 2. Perhaps if Kurse had a twirly mustache painted on...

2) The ending as a whole felt a bit... I don't know. Not well thought-out? The power of love thing seemed to come out of nowhere, as others have noted. The new and likely never to be seen again powers, also as noted. And then she just sends an email, gets into her full armor, and jumps into the air? Not even like, to stop a thief or to protect mankind or anything, just... jump right into that water, I guess.

And I still don't know where she's been for the last 99 years. If WW1 ended on a relative high note - why'd she sit out during WW2?

Also, were we meant to think she was going to drop that tank on Dr Poison? That whole "decision" felt nonsensical and kinda obligatory.

3) The Amazon stuff was all pretty good, and had me engrossed more than I'd expected, but a few jarring thoughts. One is that y'all have trained for a millennia only to get schooled by a pack of exhausted Germans. Obviously we learn that Diana is a demigod, but you'd think you'd wear a lot more armor into No Mans Land given that your greatest general ever was killed by a single bullet. The bracers also made for about 70% cool looking bullet-blocking but like 30% really lame blocking. Actually, the CGI in general was probably 70/30 good to real bad.

But I had to laugh when Diana said only the Amazons are capable of defending the world from Ares. Uhh, by sticking your heads in the sand for centuries as hundreds of wars are waged? Or by getting slaughtered by modern weaponry?

Also, Diana can never learn about her heritage or Ares will find her. But according to Ares, he thought about killing her the moment she came into that military meeting. And if he didn't know then, he would when she charged NML by herself.

I don't want to dwell on the negative, but I guess I had a lot more to say than I thought. Overall, thought it was alright. Probably a smidge below Thor 2 (which is also pretty alright).

Pros: most of the casting, humor, made WW into a legitimate hero, costumes, did some things I wish Cap 1 had done for a superhero war film
Cons: finale, some head-scratcher story decisions, villains, 30% of the CGI, excessive slow-mo (unless that's your thing, to each his own), could have been tighter overall (2 hrs 20 min felt excessive)
rhutton125
AG
Oh, one last, very very VERY minor "complaint": maybe it's because I'm a fan of King Arthur and some of the Zelda games, but the unsheathing of a legendary sword should be a pretty grand moment for a hero. They don't always have to tug with all their might to yank it out of a stone, but there should be at least a little bit of pageantry for wielding an epic weapon for the first time. Diana plucked that sword from its pedestal like it was nestled in a one-inch groove. With the force that it takes to snap an old candlestick.

Now I know that the sword wasn't all it was cracked up to be, but we didn't know that for 90 more minutes. But for a relatively pivotal moment, it felt a bit like... "k I'm all packed for my trip to London, oh crap let me grab a toothbrush." God Killer deserves better, right?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

The theme was first used in the BvS film. Not sure who composed it. Should be easy enough to find out.

Edit: Here's the scene that I'm talking about. It actually may have been used earlier in the move as well when Bruce is on his computer.

I'm one of a very small minority who actually enjoyed BvS. That movie has grown on me considerably since I first saw it in the theater. That movie had two composers - Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL. I think I read that Junkie XL was brought on to score the music for Batman given that Zimmer had 3 awesome Batman scores under his belt and did not want to duplicate his previous efforts. I'm assuming Zimmer composed that awesome Wonder Woman theme.
BassCowboy33
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm one of a very small minority who actually enjoyed BvS. That movie has grown on me considerably since I first saw it in the theater. That movie had two composers - Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL. I think I read that Junkie XL was brought on to score the music for Batman given that Zimmer had 3 awesome Batman scores under his belt and did not want to duplicate his previous efforts. I'm assuming Zimmer composed that awesome Wonder Woman theme.

I also enjoyed BvS.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
As did I.
AgMarauder04
AG
Did anyone else feel their head being bashed in by the hammer of feminism leading up to the no man's land scene?

Pine: "Diana, no MAN can cross it!!"
Diana: "Something something something feminism"
Over the top she goes.

I loved the scene, and I get that WW is the ultimate symbol of feminism, but it was just so on the nose. I would have appreciated that scene so much more of he would have said something like "it's suicide for anyone to go" or something more universal, as opposed to drawing attention to no MAN'S land.
Duncan Idaho
I like Batman vs. Superman after I watch the wisecrack philosophy video about Randian archetypes explored in the main characters
Ag Since 83
AG
I don't think it was on the nose like LOTR's "No man can kill me"/"I am no man!" Scene. I think it was more "I'm a god, now shut up and let me do my thing" than on the nose feminism.
M.C. Swag
AG
Meh

That's about all.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I like MvS better now in retrospect with WW background info.
Noblemen06
AG
BvS Ultimate Edition adds in enough to make it more coherent and enjoyable than the theatrical release. The Martha thing remains corny, however.

rhutton125
AG
Does WW say in BvS that she'd given up on the world of men? Or is that just the assumption. Because WW seems to contradict that but she also inexplicably disappeared for 98 years.
fig96
AG
Noblemen06 said:

BvS Ultimate Edition adds in enough to make it more coherent and enjoyable than the theatrical release. The Martha thing remains corny, however.

It does, but a $200m 2+ hour movie shouldn't need more content to be coherent. Still felt like a lot of the motivation was really poor.
AliasMan02
AG
Noblemen06 said:

Is Wonder Woman's whole purpose for being in the movie still to somehow recover a digital file, as if doing so would erase it from existence? Does Flash still show up with no way of recognizing who he is or knowing wtf is going on? Does Bruce Wayne still dream about a being that he has no way of knowing about and doesn't come into play in the plot at all? Does Lex still create a monster to kill Superman with no way to control said monster or even knowing if it will try to kill Superman? Does Superman still sacrifice himself to kill Doomsday instead of just handing the spear to the god-killing Amazon standing beside him who could do so far more easily? Does Lex then have his head dramatically shaved in prison for no reason other than his character is "supposed" to be bald?
CrazyDayDuck
Zombie Jon Snow said:

It is #1 for 2nd weekend in a row beating out TC's The Mummy.

Really has good legs - the movie I mean, not Gadot.....but she does too.

It's already up to 430 mil internationally and basically assured of being in the top 3 grossing movies for '17. The others are Beauty and the Beast (1.2 bil) and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (800 mil).

For a non-sequel Super Hero movie with only one Super Hero, WW has knocked it out of the park. Both in critic reviews and at the box office.
CrazyDayDuck
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Batman versus Superman was all about laying the foundation for Wonder Woman and the Justice League. The conflict between Batman and Superman, though real, was not the main focus of the movie. Hence why criticism of it was overblown imo.

As for Hans Zimmer, is there a better composer for movie soundtracks?
fig96
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Batman versus Superman was all about laying the foundation for Wonder Woman and the Justice League. The conflict between Batman and Superman, though real, was not the main focus of the movie. Hence why criticism of it was overblown imo.

As for Hans Zimmer, is there a better composer for movie soundtracks?
It was criticized because it was a poorly paced, poorly motivated, borderline incoherent movie.

And yes, John Williams

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.