*** WONDER WOMAN ***

86,179 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dr. Watson said:

Bobcat06 said:

Very average superhero movie

As a history buff, it bothered me how they handled Erich Ludendorff. Ludendorff was a real general in WW1, and he was pretty badass, conquering fortresses on his own. After the war, he became one of Hitler's biggest critics before his death.

In the movie he's a cartoon character who pals around with Dr Poison and is easily killed WW.

I get how they are trying to demonstrate WW's naive view that all men are under his evil spell, but why not just create a fake general instead?

Ludendorff became one of Hitler's biggest critics after supporting his Munich putsch and holding many of the same racial beliefs as Hitler throughout his life. Yes, he was a badass in war, but a massive ******* as well.

Wasn't expecting this on a comic book thread.
Recreational Nuke
Edit - Wrong forum
Weimerica
AliasMan02 said:

For one, the DCEU is never gonna touch "the presence." No way.

Secondly, according to the DCEU, the Greek gods were actual gods. Zeus created mankind. We saw that Ares can literally do almost anything in the material world: mind control/manipulation, insane telekinesis, transformation, energy projection, flight (I think he flew...), etc.

Yes, Darkseid is even more powerful, but then what? What about WW's next solo film? What about the future of the DCEU? (And, it's worth noting that the guys in charge like Geoff Johns handled the introduction of Darkseid pretty poorly last time he had the chance with the relaunch of Justice League and the New 52.)

Maybe Marvel faces the same issue with Thanos, but I don't really think so. He's not a being of infinite power and needs the stones to achieve his goals. And even if he is the ultimate that can never be topped, they've spent 15 or whatever films getting there, not introduced and defeated within the first handful.

Pace and escalation are important, and DC's biggest problems.

Man of Steel - Introduced a planet-killing villain and alien invasion. Introduced and killed Zod.

BvS - Introduced Batman and Wonder Woman in what was essentially a Superman film. Introduced and killed Doomsday. Introduced and defeated/imprisoned Luthor. Death of Superman, the most iconic and pivotal moment in all of DC lore, in only the SECOND DCEU film.

Suicide Squad - Introduced magic, but not really a scale issue. Introduced Joker in a non-Batman film which was weird. Overall this movie doesn't have an escalation or pace problem except for the fact that zero of the characters had ever been on screen before.

Wonder Woman - Gods exist. Established WW as a god. She kills the only other remaining god.

That's all incredibly haphazard, in my estimation.

All of the human god pantheons exist. Once Shazam and Black Adam get introduced this will be more obvious because Captain Marvel (Shazam) gets his powers from Solomon (yes that Solomon), Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, and Mercury while Black Adam gets his powers from the Egyptian Gods or from Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen. Black Adam was supposed to be a hero like Shazam so the Egyptian gods are not inherently evil.

Dwayne Johnson has been cast to play Black Adam.

What I think some people need to realize is that the ancient god pantheons are all arrogant as hell and think that it is they who have real power so they like to make claims and boast about things that they never actually did. Darkseid (also a god but one of the New Gods) routinely proves to them that they do not and The Spectre (aka the physical manifestation of The wrath of God or the Presence) regularly slaps them down.

In the DCEU it will be difficult to explain all of this, but all they really have to do is say that a Supreme Being does exist and its "Presence" is felt everywhere. This solve the "god" issue.

Again, think of the gods not as actual gods but rather ultra powerful beings. It makes more sense this way.
BBRex
AG
I think that Ares' explanation about mankind was supposed to be accurate -- mankind is warlike without him, he just helped provoke it.
jtstanley4621
AG
Overall I thought the movie was good. A bit basic in terms of a super hero movie, but good. Gadot is insanely beautiful, and in my opinion she played Wonder Woman really well. It was badass to see her storm No Man's Land. I hope they do a sequel, which I'm sure they will.

That being said, I honestly found myself much more interested in the beginning part on Themyscira. The shot where Robin Wright kills those three dudes with the arrows was the coolest shot in the movie IMO. All those warriors were badass. I kind of wish the movie had been set there, and been an internal debate about the politics of helping/interfering humanity/the the war, culminating in a huge fight with the Germans tracking Pine (maybe lead by the main bad guy), and then at the end Wonder Woman going with Pine to help humanity.

Either way, I was fine with it overall. I hope that she can help carry the Justice League movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Weekend actuals adjusted UP to $103M.
Bobcat06
AG
Dr. Watson said:

Bobcat06 said:

As a history buff, it bothered me how they handled Erich Ludendorff. Ludendorff was a real general in WW1, and he was pretty badass, conquering fortresses on his own. After the war, he became one of Hitler's biggest critics before his death.

In the movie he's a cartoon character who pals around with Dr Poison and is easily killed WW.

I get how they are trying to demonstrate WW's naive view that all men are under his evil spell, but why not just create a fake general instead?

Ludendorff became one of Hitler's biggest critics after supporting his Munich putsch and holding many of the same racial beliefs as Hitler throughout his life. Yes, he was a badass in war, but a massive ******* as well.
I don't disagree.

Ludendorff sounds like a ******* to deal with in real life, but he's a fascinating historical character. Everything from capturing Liege, his Odin cult, blaming the German defeat on Leninism, running for president against Hidenberg. That's a very unique and interesting person.

Instead, the movie portrayed his as a caricature who took steroids and plotted with Dr. Poison. My point was if you want to use a cartoonish German general as the villain, why not create a fictional one like Johann Schmidt (Red Skull)?
CrazyDayDuck
AgMarauder04 said:

As a regular politics baord poster, you recognize the irony of calling this place an echo chamber, yes?

Shoot the messenger when you can not refute a 93 Rotten Tomatoes rating, right?
cone
AG
refute?

like groupthink is supposed to be gospel
fig96
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

AgMarauder04 said:

As a regular politics baord poster, you recognize the irony of calling this place an echo chamber, yes?

Shoot the messenger when you can not refute a 93 Rotten Tomatoes rating, right?
Just when they can't understand one.
CrazyDayDuck
Bobcat06 said:

I can respect your honesty.

Unlike those that give the movie a "Meh" rating and then deny it because they "paid 14 dollars" to see the movie.

But we both know this not an average Super Hero movie ... now don't we?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've never seen anyone gloat about a RT score so much in my life.
CrazyDayDuck
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Probably because it proves Zombie and me are right.
CrazyDayDuck
cone said:

refute?

So now film critics are nothing more than "Group Think"?
cone
AG
well yeah

this was a good movie not great

maybe all super hero movies are on a curve

this wasn't iron man, though
Bruce Almighty
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

cone said:

refute?

So now film critics are nothing more than "Group Think"?

Just out of curiosity, but have you ever disliked a critically acclaimed movie?
CrazyDayDuck
cone said:

well yeah

Iron Man and The Dark Knight were both greatness.

So was Wonder Woman.

You do not get a 93 on RT by merely being good. Nor do you get 223 mil globally in the opening weekend by merely being good.
cone
AG
how much money would the new transformers movie have to make to not be hot garbage?
fig96
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

Bobcat06 said:

I can respect your honesty.

Unlike those that give the movie a "Meh" rating and then deny it because they "paid 14 dollars" to see the movie.

But we both know this not an average Super Hero movie ... now don't we?
You have this weird fixation that anyone who doesn't think this was the greatest superhero film ever somehow thought it was "meh" or disliked it.

Folks on here have been overwhelmingly positive and almost everyone has said they really enjoyed it. People disagree about films on here all the time, sometimes dramatically so, but for some reason anyone who doesn't think this is a perfect film has some sort of agenda.

That's like, your opinion man.
AliasMan02
AG
People enjoy the movie. I enjoyed it. It's a fact, however, that it has some structural narrative issues. It's able to mostly overcome those.
VanZandt92
CrazyDayDuck said:

cone said:

well yeah

Iron Man and The Dark Knight were both greatness.

So was Wonder Woman.

You do not get a 93 on RT by merely being good. Nor do you get 223 mil globally in the opening weekend by merely being good.

I'm going go disagree here. The solid core of fanboys are changing the way movies are rated in my estimation. And it made that much money because the rest of the movies out are dregs. Critics can be right in giving a movie a poor review and yet it still have great returns.
FL_Ag1998
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Haha, holy ****, you just might be the most insecure person on the entertainment board, and trust me that's saying a lot.

You might do better sticking to the politics board.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Haha, holy ****, you just might be the most insecure person on the entertainment board, and trust me that's saying a lot.

i'm like....

FL_Ag1998
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

i'm like....

BigTimeAlum
AG
I'm not sure how so many of you really missed Ares impact. Wonder woman thought he was source of war. He wasn't. He explained that to her and she explained that again in her closing dialogue. War was in the hearts of men. As far as the reaction of the German soldiers after Ares' death, of course if you're in the presence of the death of the god of war, you're probably going to have a little bit of hate lifted off of your heart.
AgMarauder04
AG
The war basically ended when he died.
Ag Since 83
AG
Geez, Warner Bros...

http://io9.gizmodo.com/wonder-womans-most-fantastic-scene-nearly-didnt-get-mad-1795811939
BigTimeAlum
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

The war basically ended when he died.

The war was ending anyway. It was only him that was trying to keep it going.
AgMarauder04
AG
Your attempt to derail a pretty common thought fails. "He's the only keeping it going" is a reach, at best.
BigTimeAlum
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Your attempt to derail a pretty common thought fails. "He's the only keeping it going" is a reach, at best.

literally every other leader in the movie is trying to get the peace accord signed. It's only his minions trying to go to extremes to convince them to continue the war. Not one other character wants to keep fighting.
AliasMan02
AG
BigTimeAlum said:

I'm not sure how so many of you really missed Ares impact. Wonder woman thought he was source of war. He wasn't. He explained that to her and she explained that again in her closing dialogue. War was in the hearts of men. As far as the reaction of the German soldiers after Ares' death, of course if you're in the presence of the death of the god of war, you're probably going to have a little bit of hate lifted off of your heart.

We get it. It's just remarkably inconsistent.

- Diana thinks Ares is the cause of war.
- Ares explains that he didn't compel men to war. They're not under his control. He just whispers ways they COULD kill each other and the natural wickedness of men takes over.
- Ares is killed and the Germans wake up out of a daze. They were trying to kill Diana's team moments before but then suddenly are literally hugging it out.

Do you not see the inconsistency in a core narrative there?
Ag Since 83
AG
The inconsistency of the hug is one of the weak parts in a third act that stumbles a bit. Once that battle ends, the war needs to end, and they just didn't execute that particular part well.
cone
AG
also David Thewlis in armor was really f'ing stupid
Aggie_Journalist
AG
cone said:

also David Thewlis in armor was really f'ing stupid

Yup. That was one role I thought was terribly miscast. If they were going to do the armor thing at the end, a better actor could have been found.
Thanks and gig'em
fig96
AG
Interesting read on superhero villains, the Joker, and Wonder Woman:

***Wonder Woman SPOILERS***

https://filmschoolrejects.com/dark-knight-broke-superhero-movie-villains/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.