*** WONDER WOMAN ***

86,161 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just flag the trolls, guys. Staff will clean it up. This is such a good forum when we don't engage in the General Board and Zoo nonsense.
M.C. Swag
AG
Quote:

Just pointing out that superhero movies suck.
Your posting sucks.
Belton Ag
AG
Someone on this thread is an *******.

Just pointing that out.
TCTTS
AG
Quad Dog
AG
WWII should take place during WWII.
Ag Since 83
AG
Quad Dog said:

WWII should take place during WWII.
Mind.

Blown.

Although the Cold War could be fun.
TCTTS
AG
We don't need to see another pre-mid-century, Wonder-Woman-vs.-the-Germans dynamic. If they're really committing to having a sequel set sometime before BvS, the Cold War/'80s makes perfect sense. That said, I hope it also plays into/incorporates the current story line in some way that makes it still feel relevant.
MooreTrucker
AG
Agreed. The first movie ended in present day, and the JL movie will be present day. I'd be silly to go back in time for the next WW movie.

But it is DC, so who knows....
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Agreed. The first movie ended in present day, and the JL movie will be present day. I'd be silly to go back in time for the next WW movie.

But it is DC, so who knows....
It also opened in present day
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, but it needs to be more than bookends the next go around.
AliasMan02
AG
1960s.
ARGUS.
Mother Box.
Project MKUltra.
CrazyDayDuck
Just broke 300 mil overseas and is poised to break 600 mil this Thursday.
wangus12
AG
Pretty cool write-up about the day jobs of the extra Amazon warriors

http://hellogiggles.com/wonder-woman-amazon-warriors-irl-badass-jobs/?utm_campaign=socialflowfacebook&utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Facebook
lostrg
Let it take place in 2001-2002.
oragator
Speaking of German accents, my favorite cheese scene was the one where Pine goes to talk to the chemist, and speaks to her in English with a stilted German accent. Way to keep your cover Chris.

Overall I thought it was good, i thought they did a good job of making her strong but still feminine, didn't do what a lot Girl power movies do by degrading the men..,but most of the plot lines or twists you could spot coming from a mile away. The battle scenes were overly long and overproduced, but the target audience probably didn't think so. Good relative to other many comic movies, but not any great work of art.
YouBet
AG
Chris Pine speaking with a German accent is strictly an indicator to the audience that he was speaking German.

Cheap way to do that rather than have actors who actually speak German and use subtitles, but I thought this was obvious. It's a really common tactic used in movies since the beginning of film.
Post removed:
by user
YouBet
AG
Well, maybe that's just me, but I've always assumed in movies that have foreign language speaking people in it (commonly Germans) the easy button way to depict that without having to find actual Germans or to make your native English speaking actors speak in German was to simply use an accent.

So, all the folks in the movie that are playing Germans speak with an accent as an audible clue for the audience that these people are meant to be German (or foreign) and not American.

Maybe I've made that up in my head but that has always been my logical assumption (IMO) as to why that was done.
Post removed:
by user
YouBet
AG
third coast.. said:

Ok. I understand what you are saying now, which is different than what I understoodto be the complaint about Chris pine. I haven't seen the movie, but it sounded like you were saying that Chris pine changed his voice randomly in the movie and that was a sign that he was speaking in German, which is a major wtf to me

But, in the movie he only does that once and it's because he's infiltrating a German base. He's a spy so you would logically assume he can speak German. Him changing accent is that audible clue.
Post removed:
by user
OasisMan
AG
watched WW

first time seeing Gal perform

i thoroughly enjoyed the flick. yep there were some cheesy parts, but it is a superhero movie.
YouBet
AG
third coast.. said:

I think you would be hard pressed to find another instance of that. I can't think of anything like that. Id love to see other examples.

Possibly bit I feel like there are several older movies that did this. I'll think about it over the weekend.

And don't get me wrong I think the nonsensical accent usage is more common. Most recent example I can think of is Harely Quinn in Suicide Squad. While not a foreign accent she floats in and out of a normal voice and the "Mr. J" voice. I guess someone could argue it's a reflection of her spilt personality, but I think its more to do with the sloppiness of that movie.
M.C. Swag
AG
That would have made sense if Wonder Woman and the fake driver hadn't been speaking English with 0 German accent.

Personally, I thought that entire gala scene was super cringey and the most narratively confusing piece of the movie.
MooreTrucker
AG
M.C. Swag said:

That would have made sense if Wonder Woman and the fake driver hadn't been speaking English with 0 German accent.

Personally, I thought that entire gala scene was super cringey and the most narratively confusing piece of the movie.
WW wouldn't know to think about using a fake accent, but the driver was supposed to be an "actor" so you'd think he'd use the accent.

As for the gala, Diana walks through the middle of the crowd with A FREAKIN' SWORD very visibly tucked into the back of her gown and no one seems to notice. I mean, yeah, she's astonishingly, strikingly beautiful, but still A SWORD!
YouBet
AG
MooreTrucker said:

M.C. Swag said:

WW wouldn't know to think about using a fake accent, but the driver was supposed to be an "actor" so you'd think he'd use the accent.

As for the gala, Diana walks through the middle of the crowd with A FREAKIN' SWORD very visibly tucked into the back of her gown and no one seems to notice. I mean, yeah, she's astonishingly, strikingly beautiful, but still A SWORD!

Probably just thought she was a Valkyrie.
M.C. Swag
AG
MooreTrucker said:

M.C. Swag said:

WW wouldn't know to think about using a fake accent, but the driver was supposed to be an "actor" so you'd think he'd use the accent

Nah that wasn't my point. I was speaking in terms of the the technical aspect of the movie. The OP to whom I responded was talking about Chris Pine speaking English with a German accent to indicate to the audience he was actually speaking German. I was sayin, that didn't quite add up because Gal Gadots character wasn't using a German accent and neither was the driver guy. So were they speaking English? Or German? See what I'm sayin? Either way, I just thought that it was super distracting and awkward.
rhutton125
AG
IIRC the movie Valkyrie starts in German, zooms in on someone's mouth as they speak and they transition into English. That's the way you know that they're actually speaking German this whole time.

WW has no such clue, but I suppose you can roll with a similar understanding if it makes the film less distracting to you. Like sci fi movies with alien races, presumably they all have a translator chip or something.
MooreTrucker
AG
M.C. Swag said:

MooreTrucker said:

M.C. Swag said:

WW wouldn't know to think about using a fake accent, but the driver was supposed to be an "actor" so you'd think he'd use the accent

Nah that wasn't my point. I was speaking in terms of the the technical aspect of the movie. The OP to whom I responded was talking about Chris Pine speaking English with a German accent to indicate to the audience he was actually speaking German. I was sayin, that didn't quite add up because Gal Gadots character wasn't using a German accent and neither was the driver guy. So were they speaking English? Or German? See what I'm sayin? Either way, I just thought that it was super distracting and awkward.
Oh yeah, I get it. Especially since WW and the drive both know pretty much all the languages.
M.C. Swag
AG
rhutton125 said:

IIRC the movie Valkyrie starts in German, zooms in on someone's mouth as they speak and they transition into English. That's the way you know that they're actually speaking German this whole time.

WW has no such clue, but I suppose you can roll with a similar understanding if it makes the film less distracting to you. Like sci fi movies with alien races, presumably they all have a translator chip or something.
Hunt for Red October did that with Sean Connery playing the Russian sub commander
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
M.C. Swag said:

rhutton125 said:

Hunt for Red October did that with Sean Connery playing the Russian sub commander

yeah except he was speaking Russian with a Scottish accent...and then had a stilted Russian/Scottish accent the rest of the movie. LOL

But I didn't care cuz it was Connery and he looked badass and the movie was awesome.
oragator
Didn't mean to start a whole thing over it, I just thought it was funny and a bit lazy - there are ways to get around it other than a 50's movie style cheesy accent.
M.C. Swag
AG
oragator said:

Didn't mean to start a whole thing over it, I just thought it was funny and a bit lazy - there are ways to get around it other than a 50's movie style cheesy accent.

haha no it's all good, I thought the same thing.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

M.C. Swag said:

rhutton125 said:

yeah except he was speaking Russian with a Scottish accent...and then had a stilted Russian/Scottish accent the rest of the movie. LOL

But I didn't care cuz it was Connery and he looked badass and the movie was awesome.
And don't forget Highlander (Oscar winner for Best Movie Ever Made), where Connery was an immortal Spaniard with a Scottish accent.....
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

And don't forget Highlander (Oscar winner for Best Movie Ever Made), where Connery was an immortal Spaniard with a Scottish accent.....
I am Juan Shanchesh Villalobosh Ramiresh

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.