Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

145,450 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by The Dog Lord
AGinHI
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

The Book 3 timing (that he doesn't really talk about a release date) starts at 1:56:42

His excuses:

1. He needs to get his head right
2. He need to break his bad habits and eat better and exercise
3. Hollywood stuff is starting and he wants to be involved with the "proto" versions of any adaptations
4. In last 2 days he's spent 5 hours skyping with illustrator over things like "what does a skrail look like..."
5. 10th anniversary edition before 2019
6. Torment / Luminair: "jesus christ why did Rothduss do that?" ---I wrote the text for that 2 years ago
7. Wish I had it already, I'm sorry that I haven't, but I want it to be amazing
8. Please be aware I am not on a beach eating Ramen off of solid gold plates - I am working, probably WAY more than I should...
9. Paraphrasing 2:03:00:: "Lastly, every creative person he knows is behind on every project they have due to politics in the US being a dumpster fire, and "we are all terrified"... we are SO SORRY world about Trump - alot of us voted for him, but we didn't know, they were misinformed, lied to, or manipulated... all we can do is try to do what's best for the world. When you are constantly terrified the president may be in mid-stage diminish; or might have psychological disorders; or is appointing white supremecists to positions of authority. How can I tell beautiful stories when I am scared about having my children grow up in this world...?? You know?"... "If you want me to write the books faster, help me impeach Trump!" ... "Sorry, didn't mean to get political at the end of my Q&A. Sorry. More Q&A in the future. I am working on Book 3.

:-/
Cliff Notes: I have no idea how to end this series, so I'm putting it off as long as possible while throwing out every semi-plausible excuse I can think of as justification for my procrastination.
Yeah.

Screw this guy.

I don't care how good the book is, when--and if--it does come. I'm not buying.
schmendeler
AG
Somebody needs to tell him that he's not Steinbeck or Hemingway. His books aren't going to be read 100 years from now. The writing isn't going to be that great, nor does anyone expect it to be. The people living now are who want to read it. He's going to dick around and everyone who was interested is just going to get apathetic and when he finally gives birth to it he's going to find that no one gives a ***** And no one is going to think it was worth the time he spent on ****ing board games and kick starters.
bangobango
AG
If he's really using Trump being elected as an excuse then **** him. I've never said anything about GRRM taking so damn long, but I've never heard Martin give such a ***** ass excuse before.
maverick2076
bangobango said:

If he's really using Trump being elected as an excuse then **** him. I've never said anything about GRRM taking so damn long, but I've never heard Martin give such a ***** ass excuse before.

You should try reading his blog then. Or don't, if you actually still want to buy his books in the future. I won't. And now it looks like I can flush Rothfuss down the same toilet.
swimmerbabe11
If you've read the thread, I've been inching towards this pretty quickly over the course of the 20 pages. The fact that he gets pissy when his fan base asks where a book that he promised years ago is much more of an influence than his politics. I like plenty of liberal artists. However, I like their work. Rothfuss hasn't been doing the work.

I don't care about *where* he leans politically. It's a sorry and silly excuse and I stand by my post.
titanmaster_race
swimmerbabe11 said:

I don't care about *where* he leans politically. It's a sorry and silly excuse and I stand by my post.

titanmaster_race
sorry if already mentioned on here, but if yall want a book series to rinse the taste of slow authors out of your mouth, check out "The Expanse". They've been putting out one book a year since 2011.

Plus the show on the SyFy channel is fantastic. The phrase "Best sci-fi TV series in over a decade" is being thrown around.
schmendeler
AG
titanmaster_race said:

sorry if already mentioned on here, but if yall want a book series to rinse the taste of slow authors out of your mouth, check out "The Expanse". They've been putting out one book a year since 2011.

Plus the show on the SyFy channel is fantastic. The phrase "Best sci-fi TV series in over a decade" is being thrown around.

Is that the Jupiter moon colony vs earth vs mars show? I watched an episode and didn't really get the draw.
AtlAg05
AG
Make the world a better place by giving us some closure!
maverick2076
Rothfuss is literally turning into GRRM. He's fat, grown a stupid beard, ****s all over his fans, and refuses to finish the series that made him popular.
titanmaster_race
Yep. Earth vs Mars vs Asteroid Belt + Outer Planets
Al Bula
AG
maverick2076 said:

Rothfuss is literally turning into GRRM. He's fat, grown a stupid beard, ****s all over his fans, and refuses to finish the series that made him popular.
A lot of this can be overlooked, but even the plot can be questioned.

The wizarding school trope is lame and overdone. In my opinion, the intrigue with this trope is the sympathetic magic.

The flaky chick Denna. Rothfuss must have been really burned by some skeezer as a teenager and projects his loathing into this character.

There are other things I could pick apart but won't. I will say his fast paced writing style covers up a lot of the issues I had with this story. It's quick and fun reading, but once the series came to a stop it loses its luster.
bangobango
AG
You can say what you want about his politics and his lack of writing, fat, beard, yada yada yada.

But The Name of the Wind is great writing. Period. It's damn near the perfect fantasy book, in my opinion, and should be considered with the greatest ever written.
maverick2076
The Name of the Wind was great writing. More so, it was a promise of great things to come. Unfortunately, it appears that the promise will never be realized.
titanmaster_race
seriously, Denna has got to be the worst written love interest of all time.

"blah blah blah I never want to be owned by a man or dependent on men for anything blah blah blah let me change my name again so I can go out for 2 weeks with another man who does nothing but shower me with gifts which I then use for sustenance blah blah blah"
Absolute
AG
Im pretty over him. Thought the first was really good and the second was pretty disappointing.

But this thread has been good for finding other stuff.

Tried the first episode of the expanse. Didn't really get the draw either.
jenn96
AG
This thread has been outstanding for me in helping me discover new series and authors, and books I had wondered about but hadn't read. So I'm glad we're all still here and I love seeing this one pop back up because I know there will be great recommendations.

It seems really clear at this point that Rothfuss isn't going to finish the last book, either because he doesn't know how to or because he's doesn't have the discipline to just sit and do it. And no real desire to either. The political stuff is hilarious. I wonder if it's hard to be that stultifyingly narcissistic. Poor creative people, they have it so tough.
titanmaster_race
I feel so bad for him. I mean, it must have been pure torture for him to have been writing in the past while stuff was happening like conflict in the Gaza strip, child soldiers in Africa, and North Korean prison camps.

What a brave soul.
Absolute
AG
Could he have really made enough to live on forevermore on those first two books?

Geesh I feel bad for ME. I have had to live through all of those same tragic world events and still had to go to work and pay bills!!!!

All hail Sanderson and other writers who struggle through to feed our escapism!!!
mpl35
AG
He is worth 4 million.
Clavell
AG
Steelheart
By Brandon Sanderson

$1.99 $7.99

Just saw this for first book in Reckoners trilogy. Thought would try since liked how he ended the the Wheel of Time series. How is this versus Mistborn series? Pretty much decided on not starting any series until complete.
M.C. Swag
AG
It's ok. A little kiddish, but the concept is interesting. Not as good as Mistborn, imo. You could read the entire trilogy in a week though. Good airplane reads.
Absolute
AG
M.C. Swag said:

It's ok. A little kiddish, but the concept is interesting. Not as good as Mistborn, imo. You could read the entire trilogy in a week though. Good airplane reads.
Agreed. Worth a read if you like Sanderson. Solid and interesting concept.
jenn96
AG
Very interesting take on superheroes. Definitely reads like a YA series but it's still a fun read. I liked it a lot.
MW03
AG
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/kingkiller-chronicle-book-3-author-pat-rothfuss-says-writing-isnt-going-well-592268

Quote:

That was a tricky time for me. In some ways, I was in a great place: After more than a decade of work, my book was finally published, and people liked it. I had a beautiful son, a successful book, money in my pocket, and fans who loved my work. I got invited to conventions, and when I did a signing, as many as a hundred people would show up.

But in other ways, things were a real ****show. I hadn't finished book two yet, and I was a mess of self-recrimination and guilt about that. I was trying to come to grips with being a professional writer, and adult, a father, and a minor celebrity. Though I didn't yet know it, my mood disorder was becoming more prominent, and my writing was not going well.

Then I sat down in that hotel lobby and wrote what turned out to be a lovely, fun, sweet little scene between Kvothe and Aslan. It only took two hours, and it came out nice and clean. It was startling how easy it was, because working on book two was excruciating.

Anyway. There's another cage match going on, and this time it's Devi in the mix. She made it to round four, where she's going head-to-head with Tom Bombadil.

The thought of them in a confrontation tickled me, so this Sunday I sat down to write it up.

And as I write this it's interesting how similar things are right now. Viewed from one angle, my life could not be better. I've got a movie and tv deal going. Lin-Manuel ****ing Miranda is involved. I have several successful books out. Translated in 35 languages. Millions of books sold. TWO lovely children.

But I'm a mess. I'm such a mess. And I'm behind on everything. And the writing isn't going well.
maverick2076
I seriously don't care to hear his self pitying bull**** anymore.
mpl35
AG
maverick2076 said:

I seriously don't care to hear his self pitying bull**** anymore.
no kidding. What a ******.
swimmerbabe11
Quote:

And the writing isn't going well.

AT LEAST HE FINALLY IS ADMITTING IT
ramblin_ag02
AG
Pretty bad when someone who became famous for writing suddenly can't write anymore. Like GRRM, he seems to be able to find plenty of time to go to conventions and start all kinds of new projects. Maybe he should just turn it over to the studio and stop trying too.

Thank God for Brandon Sanderson, otherwise these primadonnas could just spend all day complaining about how hard it is to be creative and no one would know better.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AtlAg05
AG
Is he looking for pity? Was he the one who said all 3 books were already essentially written? I started reading the series because I heard it was a good and remember someone saying the series was complete. I didn't realize 2 had been published and the other was "written".

So unfortunate that these authors are forced to attend all these events and not write.
bangobango
AG
AtlAg05 said:

Is he looking for pity? Was he the one who said all 3 books were already essentially written? I started reading the series because I heard it was a good and remember someone saying the series was complete. I didn't realize 2 had been published and the other was "written".

So unfortunate that these authors are forced to attend all these events and not write.

Yeah. I actually feel kind of bad for Martin, but Rothfuss just pisses me off at this point. Part of their marketing campaign for the first novel was that it was a completed series and the books would all be published within one year of each other. I specifically remember reading that in Barnes and Noble and it playing a part in me buying the hardcover and giving the series a try.
rononeill
Dammit. Y'all got me again.
swimmerbabe11
I would have 100% more pity for him if he had been saying from the beginning that he was writing 8 hours a day, finishing up at the end of every day by reading it and burning it because it was crap.

I can totally understand that.

However, I fully think that when you start a series, you should start with the outline of how the ENTIRE series is going to go. How each character's arch will develop. And what the end result will be.
That can be changed when you get going, but some of those details need to be set in stone. It makes writing so much easier when you are filling in the details.

Back when I wrote a lot, I would start with the outlines... I'd write the introduction, then the conclusion, then an opening chapter for major plot points (most which got discarded later) and then when I had a pretty full idea of my direction and the thought...I'd start over at the beginning.

IMO, if you say "I'm writing a 3 book series", you shouldn't be stuck 5 years later not knowing what you are gonna do with the conclusion.

I'm not a professional writer though..so my two cents are probably worthless.
maverick2076
swimmerbabe11 said:

I'm not a professional writer though..so my two cents are probably worthless.
They are worth more than Rothfuss' whiny girl emo blog posts.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

They are worth more than Rothfuss' whiny girl emo blog posts.

Maybe he should have Kvothe kill the King with the Golden Combover, stop global magic change, attend wizard school rallies for demon's rights, and network at musician guild conventions. There's apparently no shortage of inspiration for Rothfuss regarding writing about any of that crap.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.