Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

145,458 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by The Dog Lord
BustUpAChiffarobe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Way of Kings will be remembered as a much greater epic than GoT when it's all said and done, IMO.

I concur, Sanderson will be the best when all is said and done IMHO, the new Tolkien
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
Martin has been extremely adamant that no one finishes it but him, and his wife has been quite vocal about agreeing with him. He has no children to get greedy and start pressuring about the money it will bring. Parris Martin will be left very comfortably off just based on what's already been published. I would personally be shocked if Martin's estate ever let another writer finish the story. just my own sense after following the guy's writings and interviews for the last 20 years.

I'm a huge fan of reading, but I don't see how anybody can get too upset if they don't read Martin's last book. He created a fantastic world, but he's an unremarkable writer -- that is, his prose quality is nothing special and you don't get that intellectual twinge of satisfaction when you digest his written words -- and he BADLY needs an editor. I mean 20% of the stuff he's churned out simply shouldn't exist.

Frankly, I like the shows considerably more than the books, and I'm a guy who very rarely says that. We can quibble about the handling of individual scenes or the occasional differences between events, but the series creators went through with a critical eye and cut out some of the bits that didn't add to the story (not to mention they thankfully don't include a voice over describing what everyone's eating for dinner).

I'll happily watch the shows, read Winds of Winter if he ever finishes it, and call it a day.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
quote:
quote:
Way of Kings will be remembered as a much greater epic than GoT when it's all said and done, IMO.

I concur, Sanderson will be the best when all is said and done IMHO, the new Tolkien

Man I liked WoK, but I just don't see it as the same level as SOIaF. It's way more PG though so it may have a more universal age appeal. It's probably because the more edgy stuff appeals to me.

And to respond to the giving up 3/4 through book 1 of WoT, that was plenty for me to know I wouldn't like it. Too much good vs. bad LoTR for me. The best part of GoTs is the lack of a clear good/bad.

As I said though, to each his own!
MW03
AG
Finished the Mistborn trilogy. Big fan of the series.
bearamedic99
AG
Has anyone read (and will admit to it) GRRM's Wild Cards books? I never hear any talk about them but there are multiple books out. Is that volume simply from his power/fame or are they worth it?

I held off reading Shadows of Self because I knew Bands of Mourning would be released early this year and so read them together. Different than Mistborn but still good. I love Wayne. The scene with him at the college was great (avoiding spoilers by saying more). I'm mildly pissed that BoM was not the end of the series but book 3 of 4.

Not so much fantasy but kind of historical sci-fi in a what if? sense there is a great series out and still on-going by Texan Taylor Anderson called the Destroyermen. Book 11 comes out soon and it starts with a book called Into the Storm. Synopsis- a WWI era USN destroyer in the early days of WWII gets sucked a Bermuda Triangle type storm in the Pacific Ocean and ends up in a world full of refugees from other worlds but populated primarily by sentient human-sized lemurs fighting sentient human-sized lizards.

Reading this thread makes me angry at Martin and Rothfuss for delays. I'm even peeved at Jim Butcher.

I thought we had an unspoken agreement to not bump this thread until there was book 3 news? I know there was news of a tv deal but this returned to a general thread about fantasy books.

PS- Was the Shannara tv show any good?
RedbeardAG
AG
I'm just sad butcher put off Dresden to start that Steampunk series. First book was decent I guess, but not worth delaying Dresden. He was pumping out a Dresden book every year like clockwork for a decade, hopefully he isn't burnt out.
Absolute
AG
Bought the first wild card book but never got much of it read before it got lost on the kindle. Didn't draw me in.

I thought the Shannara show was ok. Recorded it and watched the first 5 or so. Others are still sitting on dvr. Seemed somewhat close to book as it sparked memories of what would happen from my reading those probably at 20 years ago. I may have e read elfstones when it first came out. Brooks was one that I liked, but not enough to ever go back and reread.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
About 25% through Dawn of Wonder. I'm definitely hooked. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll post my complete thoughts when I finish. (Which shouldn't take too long at the current clip I'm going. Can't seem to put it down.)
So I have officially finished Dawn of Wonder, Book 1 of the Awakening series! I got assigned to an out of town job the past few weeks so it took me a little longer to get through the book than it normally would have but here are my SPOILER-FREE thoughts:

- Firs off, I thought it was really good. It's a standard coming of age book but the key difference is that the "hero" is extremely flawed. Due to emotional abuse he suffers early in the novel, he doesn't have the unrelenting bravery that most central protagonists do. The author does a great job of balancing his successes and failures. As weird as it sounds, it adds a good dose of "believability" in this fantasy novel, without being overly grim. No Mary Sue/Kvothe complaints in this one.

-The story is written entirely from the viewpoint of the central character, so it's not an epic fantasy akin to GoT. This obviously makes it extremely important for the author to convey a likeable character as well as one that the reader would care for. I thought he nailed both of those elements.

-The supporting characters were well developed. In fact, if there's 1 thing I think this book did extremely well, is that it conveys the growth of MANY characters. They each have alot of depth and I found myself liking each for different reasons.

-As far as the actual story arc: It definitely has a quest-like feel to it. The story begins like a short-novel with a narrow scope and then organically builds the narrative to a much broader and substantial journey. I was sad to get to the end because I felt like the REAL story was just about to begin! And thats a compliment! I can't think of any higher praise than saying, "GAH I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!"

Overall, I thought this was a very strong debut novel for Jonathan Renshaw. The prose wasn't anything near the level of Rothfuss' but the world-building and character portrayals were just as strong, if not better in DoW. As far as complaints go, I didn't have many, but:

- There were more than a few clunky transitions in the story. It didn't derail my enjoyment of the book, but it definitely shook me out of my immersion.

- Certain parts of the book feel like 'fluff' - I never felt like it was a chore to read this book, but I thought it could have easily been trimmed down.

If I were to grade it, I'd give it a solid B or 6.5/10. (Which is good by my standards)
Tomdoss92
AG
quote:
quote:

ten book series... probably three to four years between each as he continues multiple series concurrently.

Book three probably in 2017, so 7 more 3 years each at best, finishing up the series in 21 years.
So in 2038 we'll be getting closure?
caleblyn
I am about 75% complete with #2. Purposely not reading nothing on this thread but look forward to joining in next week.
maverick2076
I've been reading James Moore's Seven Forges series. Not sure if someone else on here recommended it or not, but I'm enjoying it.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
I am about 75% complete with #2. Purposely not reading nothing on this thread but look forward to joining in next week.
Idk if this is something you actually want. Some of us have been here a long time...just waiting....lol
MW03
AG
Just got Abercrombie's The Blade Itself based on this thread.
AtlAg05
AG
Argh ban them all! No updates on the book, useless bumps!!!

Still waiting...
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
I actually looked this up a few days ago. Last time he commented, it was spring 2014.
caleblyn
Finished #2. Waiting on 2.5.

So now I join the wait for 3.
titanmaster_race
Scott Lynch has confirmed that Gentleman *******s #4: The Thorn of Emberlain will be published in September of this year!!!!!!
Hudson2508
AG
Hell yes. That's exciting.
titanmaster_race
quote:
Hell yes. That's exciting.

The Lies of Locke Lamora is still probably my single favorite fantasy book of all time. I need to reread it again.
caleblyn
quote:
I didn't read the books, but I did enjoy the heck out of the audio book versions read by Nick Podehl. I've listened to a ton of books, and his performance ranks among the best. Well worth a 2 month membership to audible to enjoy Poedhl's reading of both.

I just hope he's still in the game when Rothfuss finishes the 3rd. The dude that read the ASOIF series for George RR Martin basically forgot how to voice all the characters by the time Martin got around to -you know- actually writing another book. Very disappointing.
I also listened to the audio versions. Podehl was very good. I would put him up there with Beck, Guidall, and Muller. The best narrator ever was/is Jim Dale, who did the Harry Potter books.

A good narrator can make a so-so book exceptional.

A bad narrator can make a great book crappy. I am talking to you Stephen King!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
I just hope he's still in the game when Rothfuss finishes the 3rd. The dude that read the ASOIF series for George RR Martin basically forgot how to voice all the characters by the time Martin got around to -you know- actually writing another book. Very disappointing.
Yeah, Ray Dotrice is pretty horrible. I have to imagine the book is being read to me by Grand Maester Pycelle because his voice is so old and strained; and he doesn't do any character voices... its really pretty bad...

The best narrators for Audiobooks that I've listened to are:
Nick Podehl (Kingkiller Chronicles)
Johnathan Keeble (The Saxon Chronicles Books 1-4)
John Lee (The Saxon Chronicles Book 5)
Stephen Parring (The Saxon Chronicles Books 6**)
Marc Thompson (Star Wars: A New Dawn and Dark Disciple)
Jonathan Davis (Star Wars: Lords of the Sith)

**Matt Bates did Book 7-8 and his voice is too droll like he's from Liverpool and not intimidating...
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Michael Page who did the second half of Malazan and Tim Gerard Reynolds are another two narrators I enjoy
AgLiving06
Somebody here turned me on to the "Lightbringer Series."

Good entertaining series. Definite religious themes and some decent twists.

On book 2 and they are easy reads
bangobango
AG
quote:
Somebody here turned me on to the "Lightbringer Series."

Good entertaining series. Definite religious themes and some decent twists.

On book 2 and they are easy reads

Weeks's Night Angel trilogy is good, too.
caleblyn
Okay, I am going to let you choose my next series to start. Here are the choices...

Farseer Trilogy - Robin Hobb
Chronicle of the Unhewn - Brian Staveley
Stormlight Archive - Brandon Sanderson
Gentleman ******* - Scott Lynch

To help, I have highly enjoyed; Kingkiller, Dark Tower, HP, Inheritance, LOTR, The Circle (Ted Dekker)
mpl35
AG
quote:
Okay, I am going to let you choose my next series to start. Here are the choices...

To help, I have highly enjoyed; Kingkiller, Dark Tower, HP, Inheritance, LOTR, The Circle (Ted Dekker)
Lynch and Sanderson are the best...but they aren't finished. I've read a lot of Hobb and started the Unhwen series. I'd suggest you start with Farseer even though it isn't anywhere nearly as good simply because you have a finished series to read. You also get the bonus of other series in the same world if you like them. I actually liked the other Hobb series better than the Farseer one.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:

Stormlight was my favorite but there's only 2 books in what is supposed to be a 10 book series. (*sigh*)
Gentleman ******* is a close second - but it gets bonus points for being mostly completed. (There's an over-arching story to the books, but each individual book has a self-contained plot with a resolution. That's why I consider it completed even though Lynch is writing another one.)

Wasn't a fan of the Farseer trilogy. Haven't read Unhewn. (On my list now!)

I'd start with Gentleman *******!
mpl35
AG
How is Lynch "mostly completed?" The Lies of Locke Lamora was published in 2006. Supposedly we are getting book 4 in the fall of this year. That leaves 3 more books and probably around a decade of writing left!
caleblyn
quote:
I actually liked the other Hobb series better than the Farseer one.

Do you have a suggested series to begin with if I go the Hobb route?
M.C. Swag
AG
Did you read my post?
titanmaster_race
quote:
How is Lynch "mostly completed?" The Lies of Locke Lamora was published in 2006. Supposedly we are getting book 4 in the fall of this year. That leaves 3 more books and probably around a decade of writing left!

Each book is a self contained story. There are over arcing story elements that tie the books together, but no cliffhangers between books.
mpl35
AG
quote:
Did you read my post?
I'd never put out the phrase "mostly completed" when we have less than half a series in print after a decade. I understand that they are more self contained stories than many. However, I never walked a away from reading any of the 3 books and didn't immediately want the next in the series. So I guess I'm just offering a caution that it will be a long time until they are done!

I do agree that Stormlight and Gentlemen *******s are outstanding and well above the other choices.
mpl35
AG
quote:
quote:

Each book is a self contained story. There are over arcing story elements that tie the books together, but no cliffhangers between books.
If the ending of Book 2 isn't a cliff hanger, then I don't know one.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:
Did you read my post?
I'd never put out the phrase "mostly completed" when we have less than half a series in print after a decade. I understand that they are more self contained stories than many. However, I never walked a away from reading any of the 3 books and didn't immediately want the next in the series. So I guess I'm just offering a caution that it will be a long time until they are done!

I do agree that Stormlight and Gentlemen *******s are outstanding and well above the other choices.
Ok, so in a literal sense, Lynch is not "mostly completed" with the series. That wasn't the intent of my post. And I certainly didn't speak on whether it was a series I wished to read more of at the conclusion of each novel. Of course I wanted to read more.

All in all, I think it's a good series for someone to read without worry of waiting ages for the next book for a resolution. You get that payoff in each book. That's my point. If I were to compare to anything, I'd say they're like a Marvel Movie. Each Iron Man, Capt America, Thor etc. has a self-contained plot and villian but there is also some connections to the over-arching Avengers story and the Thanos conflict. I could easily see someone reading Book 1 of the GB series and stopping there, fully satisfied. (Note: satisfied in terms of story resolution. Obviously, I loved the characters and stories, which is why I wanted to read more.)
mpl35
AG
quote:
quote:
I actually liked the other Hobb series better than the Farseer one.

Do you have a suggested series to begin with if I go the Hobb route?
Not really. I liked the Liveship traders and Tawny Man series better. When I initially read Farseer (I read Farseer about almost 20 years ago after it came out), I found it a bit hard to read and it was dark. I might enjoy it more now, don't know. I still think you should start with it as an entry into the world Hobb created. You have 4 series set in the same world to read and a fifth that is 2/3 done.

None of Hobb is as good as Lynch or Sanderson. If you don't mind waiting years between books, they might be the way to go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.