Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

145,465 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by The Dog Lord
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
and its all quality
AgLiving06
quote:
quote:
GRRM and Fothfuss just make me more thankful for Brandon Sanderson. That man is a writing machine.

Sanderson needs to finish the next storm light book NOW!

That's the only downside of Sanderson...he's churning out so many series that you are continually left waiting on him to finish the next book that's in line between several other good books.

But seriously...what kind of life does he have? How does he think of this things and write multiple 400+ page books each year.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
GRRM and Fothfuss just make me more thankful for Brandon Sanderson. That man is a writing machine.
Sanderson is pretty amazing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
RedbeardAG
AG
quote:
quote:

Sanderson needs to finish the next storm light book NOW!
He has said early 2017... So he will only have 3 books come out in 2016. Lazy.
bangobango
AG
quote:
Need something new to read.

I have read all of Butcher's work, Caught up on Sanderson. As a side note I thought Reckoners was fantastic so far, but I'm not really getting into Alloy of Law/Shadows. The endings in those just lack something to me.

I have read blood song and tower lord but not in the mood to read the final book due to the reviews.

Not sure where to go from here I need some sanderson/butcher to fuel my addiction.

Robin hobb assassins apprentice is great. Completed series.

Joe Abercrombie is fun. Completed series.

Prince of thorns is really good, and dark as hell. Completed series.
bearamedic99
AG
quote:

the Stormlight Archives will be at least 10 books long
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
I'm in a Pickle.

I've gotten through 7 books of WoT and can just not freaking go any further, I can't make it to the Sanderson books
I've read the Tower Lord Series
Read The Mistborn series
Read the Kingkiller Chronicles
Read the Stormlight Archives
Read all the Dresden Books
Can't slog through Malazan
Read ASOIAF

where do I turn to?
MW03
AG
Sounds like you need to seek The Dark Tower, gunslinger.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
Sounds like you need to seek The Dark Tower, gunslinger.
Cry your Pardon (taps throat three times) but I've already read that one as well, thankee sai.
MW03
AG
Ha! Hear him, I beg!
schmendeler
AG
quote:
I'm in a Pickle.

I've gotten through 7 books of WoT and can just not freaking go any further, I can't make it to the Sanderson books

where do I turn to?
suck it up. if you can sit through two masses a day you can read a fantasy novel.
mid90
AG
If you like sci-fi, you'll love The Expanse. 5 books so far, and they've been putting out a book a year with no sign of slowing down.
mid90
AG
I'm almost finished with book 10 of WoT. Lesson to all aspiring writers/editors: DO NOT marry your editor/writer. Then everyone gets more concerned about not hurting the feelings of the writer, and you end up with 5 books that only advance the plot in 5% of the thousands of pages contained therein.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
I just downloaded the first book of Abercrombie's "the first law" series on my kindle, I've heard good things about him, I'll give it a whirl.
bangobango
AG
quote:
I just downloaded the first book of Abercrombie's "the first law" series on my kindle, I've heard good things about him, I'll give it a whirl.
Abercrombie is a good one.

Robyn Hobb's Assassin's apprentice trilogy is good, too.

I'm reading the first book in the Powder Mage trilogy and it's pretty good so far.
AtlAg05
AG
quote:
I'm almost finished with book 10 of WoT. Lesson to all aspiring writers/editors: DO NOT marry your editor/writer. Then everyone gets more concerned about not hurting the feelings of the writer, and you end up with 5 books that only advance the plot in 5% of the thousands of pages contained therein.

You can do it! The Sanderson written ones are close at hand!
nikator
AG
If people are into Historical Fiction can recommend a couple more in the ancient world.

Steven Saylor is best known for his Roma Sub Rosa series set in the last days of the republic. Timeline wise the series starts during the civil war between Marius and Sulla (the first published book Arms of Nemesis is based on Cicero's first case in the last days of Sulla). The timeline has stretched to a month before Caesar's assassination. The books as published do not follow the timeline of the protagonist Gordianus the Finder, since the last three books are set before Arms of Nemesis. Basically a detective series based on a lot of real events and real murders and conspiracies.

Saylor also has another two part series - Roma and Empire where he follows this one family via an amulet passed from generation to generation. Roma ends with a character (historical as it turns out) in the reign of Augustus. Empire ends in the reign of Hadrian.

There is a series similar to Saylor by Gary Corby...where the really young detective is engaged by Pericles. The series has more humor and you see an annoying teenage Socrates, and so far Themistocles, Gorgo (and her son).
---------------

"A man without a belly is like a house without a balcony"
- Old Turkish saying
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:

You can do it! The Sanderson written ones are close at hand!

I just finished 10 and started 11.

Literally the ONLY things that happened in the 822 pages of Book 10 happened in the last 30 pages. What a waste of trees.
Madmarttigan
AG
Get a kindle you murderer!
nikator
AG
Jordan got a bit tedious as the series went on...All the women, particularly those young know it alls thought men were dumb and tugged their braids in frustration. All the men thought the women were bat**** crazy nags.

GRRM actually took a shot a the braid pulling in his second Dunk and Egg prequel. Sanderson did a good job wrapping up even though I am not entire sure I understand a scene at the end.

Have read all 5 GRRM prequels to ASOIAF...he needs to finish the next book
nikator
AG
Wonder if in Book 3 of Kingkiller Chronicles if Kvothe ever figures out that he met his Auntie (mother's sister) in Book 2.

Hope he does not kill Auri or Simmon in book 3. Wonder who the King he kills is.
AgLiving06
quote:

Agreed. By this point, I was skimming through the book trying to find anything to keep me going.

It's tough, but it's great knowing that Sanderson takes over and produces 3 awesome books.
maverick2076
For those looking for something else to read while waiting on Rothfuss to get off his ass and write, check out Terry Mancour's Spellmonger series. They are Kindle only, but I've found them to be very entertaining. Mancour may write even faster than Sanderdon, btw.
Hudson2508
AG
I'm also really enjoying Scott Lynch's Gentlemen's *******s series. Only 3 books so far but I've loved them. Very witty and has a lot of humor in the books.
mid90
AG
quote:
I'm also really enjoying Scott Lynch's Gentlemen's *******s series. Only 3 books so far but I've loved them. Very witty and has a lot of humor in the books.

Fantastic series. The Lies of Locke Lamora may be my favorite fantasy book ever.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:

Fantastic series. The Lies of Locke Lamora may be my favorite fantasy book ever.
I literally finished the 3rd book today! Fantastic series!
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
quote:

Are these really good? I've heard they're like ocean's eleven meets high fantasy and that turned me off; but everyone keeps recommending them
Hudson2508
AG
Yeah they're awesome. Less fantasy and more thieving. Smartly written and really funny. I'd definitely read them.
maverick2076
The Gentleman ******* series is great. I'm rereading them right now. I just hope Scott Lynch doesn't have another nervous breakdown.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are these really good? I've heard they're like ocean's eleven meets high fantasy and that turned me off; but everyone keeps recommending them
Book 1 is terrific. If you read that and don't like it, then you can set aside the rest of the series. (I don't think you will though)
mid90
AG
Just started Mistborn #4.

Holy sheet what a brutal opening.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:

Mistborn 4? Are you talking about Alloy of Law?
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
quote:

Mistborn 4? Are you talking about Alloy of Law?

I didn't read that one, felt like a tiny half assed book
M.C. Swag
AG
It was OK. If you're looking for a quick, entertaining plane read.
mid90
AG
Yes, Alloy of Law. Got the audiobook.

Kinda sad it's so short

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.