Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

145,490 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by The Dog Lord
Madmarttigan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need something new to read.

I have read all of Butcher's work, Caught up on Sanderson. As a side note I thought Reckoners was fantastic so far, but I'm not really getting into Alloy of Law/Shadows. The endings in those just lack something to me.

I have read blood song and tower lord but not in the mood to read the final book due to the reviews.

Not sure where to go from here I need some sanderson/butcher to fuel my addiction.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Have you read the Malazan Book of the Fallen?
Madmarttigan
AG
people seem very mixed about malazan
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
I started it on the recommendation of this board. I like it but could see why others don't. The cast of characters is huge and the stories told by each book are small parts of a bigger story that isn't clear to you right away. You are dropped into book 1 with absolutely no background and are lost for a while about what is going on in the grand scheme of the series. The characters and subplots are interesting to keep me in it. I'm on book 8 now. Somewhere along the way, it all starts to make sense to you but you don't realize when that happened. It doesn't go into great detail about the races and such like we got used to with Tolkien.

I am listening on Audible and the narration is great. I have heard the series is better on the second read. After the next Kingkiller, Stormlight, Dresden, and George Martin books all get read and when I am waiting for the next entry in the series, I will probably read the Malazan rather than listen. It will kill some time while I wait and I have heard the second read is better.

Codex Alera, Ligtbringer, the Demon Cycle, and The Emperor's Blades were all fun but not necessarily all time greats. They are good filler while you wait on the other authors to catch up
AgHawkeye
AG
I haven read the entire thread so not sure if it has been discussed. I love all those noodles you read and also loved Red Rising / Golden Son by Tim Gerard Reynolds. A little more SciFi but a really good story and amazing writing for the genre.
mid90
AG
Just finished the first Mistborn trilogy by Sanderson.

Not my favorite, but it was still good. One that would have probably felt like it dragged on if I was reading the book, but listening to the audiobooks while at work provided a nice balance for me.
hunter2012
AG
so question, I happen to own these 2 books and want to start the series. Should I read it now and suffer the long wait or sit on them and wait for the release date of the 3rd book before I read it?
schmendeler
AG
I read the first one and really liked it. I remember feeling like reading the first one was a good stopping point and haven't read the second one. when the third one comes out, i'll likely re-read the first one before taking on 2 and 3.
mid90
AG
quote:
so question, I happen to own these 2 books and want to start the series. Should I read it now and suffer the long wait or sit on them and wait for the release date of the 3rd book before I read it?

Definitely sit on them.
AtlAg05
AG
quote:
quote:

Definitely sit on them.

That's under the assumption there won't be a 4,5, and 6. I thought I read something that it might happen.
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Definitely sit on them.

That's under the assumption there won't be a 4,5, and 6. I thought I read something that it might happen.

I mean, there is so much crap that has to get resolved in book 3 that I wouldn't be surprised if we still have huge questions/cliffhangers. If that happens, I imagine book 3 will simply wrap up Kvothe's story, but not all facets of the larger world stories (e.g. the Chandrian, etc.)
AgLiving06
I would guess they will "resolve" some portion of it, and then in another 10 years he will release book 4 to resolve more of it and so forth.
AtlAg05
AG
I'm sure book three will get us up to the present, then 4 will go from there. The whole premise was his story in 3 days, his past story, but things are obviously not resolved in his current life.

So we get the resolution on his current predicament and how he got there, but I can't see them not doing more books.

My guess the delay has been re-writing the 3rd book to allow for additional books. The author/publisher saw the popularity and saw the $ signs to keep this thing going.
LawAg05
AG
Every time this thread gets bumped I hope it will have a publication date... C'est la vie
AgLiving06
I honestly think he knows the third book is going to suck and he's trying to put off finishing it as long as he can so others don't realize he was a one hit wonder (his second book wasn't near as good as the first).
mid90
AG
I just wish he'd go ahead and kill off Denna.

Worst love interest of all time.
Hagen95
AG
That is my concern as well. Based off of most readers reaction to book 2, I haven't even purchased that one yet.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
I honestly think he knows the third book is going to suck and he's trying to put off finishing it as long as he can so others don't realize he was a one hit wonder (his second book wasn't near as good as the first).

Well...I really really enjoyed reading Book 2. It wasn't until I finished the book that I was like..."Wait..that's it?!"

Rothfuss writes pretty. I enjoy the journey.

Also, yes, I keep expecting Denna to DO something that makes her worthy of this great love..but she's kinda meh,.
AtlAg05
AG
I started the series because I saw that all three had been written, so in my mind I wouldn't have to wait, I could finish the whole series.

When I realized the third hadn't been published it was a disappointing day.
H6RBW
AG
He spent too long on Feleurian, sure. And when you get to the end, you're immediately thinking "How's he going to finish this in one more book?" Still, I definitely enjoyed Wise Man's Fear.
meggy09
AG
**spoilers**

Not exactly spoilers, but there hasn't been a lit of KK content discussion so being safe. What do y'all think about the theory of Kvothe being the heir to the lackless fortune and higher royalty than Ambrose? I think there's some strong teeth to the theory and could play out interestingly.
hunter2012
AG
So what's the consensus? I'm reading either wait for the 3rd release, or read the first one and save the second for the 3rd release.

Here's a question is the 3rd book closer to coming out than Winds of Winter? Or are the authors 2 peas in a pod?
H6RBW
AG
Read it.

And, I don't know anything, but I'd be shocked if Doors of Stone doesn't come out well before Winds of Winter.
RedbeardAG
AG
quote:
Read it.

And, I don't know anything, but I'd be shocked if Doors of Stone doesn't come out well before Winds of Winter.
Nah, Winds of Winter will come out some time in 2016 for better or worse. Pat has basically already said don't hold your breath for Doors of Stone in 2016.
mid90
AG
I'd say at this point Pat is slower than GRRM. GRRM didn't claim he already had all of his series written in the foreword to the first book, then still not have it published ten years later.

Also, his world isnt nearly as complex as martin's, and he also isnt juggling a major HBO adaptation of his work.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
I'd say at this point Pat is slower than GRRM. GRRM didn't claim he already had all of his series written in the foreword to the first book, then still not have it published ten years later.

Also, his world isnt nearly as complex as martin's, and he also isnt juggling a major HBO adaptation of his work.
don't forget his moral superiority about people asking him to produce something that was supposedly already supposed to be done.
RedbeardAG
AG
quote:
quote:

don't forget his moral superiority about people asking him to produce something that was supposedly already supposed to be done.
Yeah he comes off as a huge **** any time the issue is brought up. I understand it would be tiring to get asked over and over again, but the people who ask only do so because they love the first books. I think there is an unspoken contract that if you start a story and get people invested in characters you should at least be able to write 2 damn books in 10 years. At this point I really do think he bit off more than he can chew and has no idea how to wrap the damn thing up.
Al Bula
AG
I'm rethinking Patrick Rothfuss. Name of the Wind was above average, clever and easy to read. It had the obvious Wizardry School trope that was way overdone by Harry Potter but the alchemy made the story seem a little more real than magic.

I made it through half of the second book and am not motivated to try again right now. I dunno, maybe I'm just over childish literature.
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah he comes off as a huge **** any time the issue is brought up. I understand it would be tiring to get asked over and over again, but the people who ask only do so because they love the first books. I think there is an unspoken contract that if you start a story and get people invested in characters you should at least be able to write 2 damn books in 10 years. At this point I really do think he bit off more than he can chew and has no idea how to wrap the damn thing up.

Yup. He's kind of an *******. If you publish an amazing book and in the foreword to said book you explicitly say you have already written out the entire trilogy, then 10 years pass and the third and final book is still not even close to being published, of course people are going to vehemently ask you when you're going to finish.
LawAg05
AG
quote:

1996 interview with GRRM where he says ASOIAF should be finished by 1998

I agree with you on GRRM's work being more complex, but GRRM wins the "slowest writer ever" award hands down. GRRM may not have claimed his series was done per se, but he said his series would be done SEVENTEEN years ago.
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:

I agree with you on GRRM's work being more complex, but GRRM wins the "slowest writer ever" award hands down. GRRM may not have claimed his series was done per se, but he said his series would be done SEVENTEEN years ago.

I didn't know that. That's hilarious!
RedbeardAG
AG
quote:
quote:

To be fair....it was supposed to be a trilogy originally. Not that 5 books in 20 years doesn't qualify you for "slowest writer ever".
Imagine if King Killer got stretched out to 7 books. We would be waiting for book 6 in 2031.
KALALL
AG
GRRM and Fothfuss just make me more thankful for Brandon Sanderson. That man is a writing machine.
AtlAg05
AG
quote:
GRRM and Fothfuss just make me more thankful for Brandon Sanderson. That man is a writing machine.

Sanderson needs to finish the next storm light book NOW!
mid90
AG
quote:

Seriously.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.