Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

148,126 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by The Dog Lord
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sympathy in the KK universe seems very similar to that in the Dresden universe as well. Even to the point of creating wax simulations and being worried about keeping track of your blood. And then there's the whole naming bit. I think Rothfuss cites the Dresden books as his favorite series, so I'm chalking it up to homage considering that the books are different enough on their own.
PatAg
AG
You know all these books you think he has "stolen" from have stolen from other things..including real life beliefs?
MW03
AG
I specifically called it homage, not theft. I enjoy the KK books quite a bit.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
I understand your frustration but how could you lose interest if you loved the first two?

At least Rothfuss isn't as bad as GRRM. Thank God for writers like Brandon Sanderson who put out excellent work at a prolific rate.
He released Name of the Wind in 2007 and Wise Man's Fear in 2011. He's said that he won't release Doors of Stone until some time in 2016 (and that's a minimum), so we're looking at 5+ years between books 2 and 3.

He might not be GRRM, but 9 years for a 3 book series isn't too far off.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
quote:
Bump. Thanks for all the advice last year. I'm now up to date on Stormlight, Kingkiller, ASOIAF, raven's shadow, and I read the Dark Tower series. All great!
So now I'm trying to decide on Mistborn, Dresden, or Joe Abercrombie. Thoughts?
Bump. Thanks again. I decided on Mistborn. Finished them up, and must admit I was wrong. They were definitely entertaining. I wouldn't want to go any more PG than that, but it was plenty good.

Ryan's next installment is out on 7/7. Then I'm thinking I'll try Abercrombie next. Then I guess I'll just wait on GRRM, Rothfuss, and Sanderson.

Anyone read Week's Lightbringer series? Where would it fall on the mature content scale? More like GRRM, Rothfuss or more G rated like WoT?
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
I listen to Lightbringer. I'd say PG-13. i enjoy the series. It's a little more focused like Codex Alera, the Dresden Files, or Night Angel rather than truly epic like LOTR, WoT, Malazan, ASOIAF, and Stormlight. I'd give it a B, maybe B+ for the third one. It is an enjoyable but not all time great series
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I am telling you, try out Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell...

It's historical fiction from England in the 9th Century; so no true magic, only "suspected" witchcraft and sorcery... but the main protagonist is about as gray as it comes, and he's a badass. Love this series.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
quote:

It's historical fiction from England in the 9th Century; so no true magic, only "suspected" witchcraft and sorcery... but the main protagonist is about as gray as it comes, and he's a badass. Love this series.

I have only read the first book but thought it was great
Liam
AG

quote:

Just finished the first book this morning and it was pretty dang solid. Looking forward to reading the rest. Thanks for the suggestion!
mid90
AG
Everytime I see this thread get bumped, I think there's maybe some news about Doors of Stone.

Nope. Apparently it's never coming out.
agmatt06
AG
The third Blood Song did just come out. I haven't read the second one yet (heard it was disappointing), but the first one was good enough to buy the book to complete the trilogy.
AtlAg05
AG
quote:
Everytime I see this thread get bumped, I think there's maybe some news about Doors of Stone.

Nope. Apparently it's never coming out.

I started the series a few months ago and had it in my head that it was already complete. Finished book two only to be disappointed.
mid90
AG
The third blood song (Queen of Fire) doesn't come out until the 7th.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I thought Tower Lord was just as good as Blood Song, if not better.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
I liked Tower Lord
PatAg
AG
Second blood song book was not as good as the first, but still great.
jenn96
AG
quote:
Quote:

Just wanted to double down on this. I've read the whole series - it's great.
LawAg05
AG
Anyone read the new Anthony Ryan book Queen of Fire?

I haven't gotten around to ordering it, but will soon.
Hudson2508
AG
It's waiting for me at home when I get back from vacation. Excited to finish the series but I've read a few bad reviews.
mid90
AG
quote:
Anyone read the new Anthony Ryan book Queen of Fire?

I haven't gotten around to ordering it, but will soon.

I have it but haven't started it yet. I just finished an audiobook "re-read" of Tower Lord, and I've got about a hundred pages left in Wheel of Time #7.

Then I'll start Queen of Fire.
Hagen95
AG
I bought the first Rothfuss book and put it on the shelf. I am not falling for the Robert Jordan trap again.
LawAg05
AG
Ouch. You weren't kidding. Most of the reviews are pretty bad. Stinks too because Blood song was so good and this is the conclusion of the trilogy.
H6RBW
AG
quote:

Based on your post, I downloaded the first book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Started the second and, man, you're right about him being "gray". I'm reading about him in the Briton village where he meets Svein and Iseult....and thinking "should I be enjoying reading about this character?" But I am.
Madmarttigan
AG
quote:
Ouch. You weren't kidding. Most of the reviews are pretty bad. Stinks too because Blood song was so good and this is the conclusion of the trilogy.

I've been rereading blood song to prepare for the third book. Wow, those reviews are so disappointing.

Blood Song is literally a book that is painful to put down it is so good. Sounds like he just went in too many directions and gave you barely anything of the characters you loved in the first book.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Based on your post, I downloaded the first book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Started the second and, man, you're right about him being "gray". I'm reading about him in the Briton village where he meets Svein and Iseult....and thinking "should I be enjoying reading about this character?" But I am.
Yeah, growing up Roman catholic and reading these is a bit ... odd & painful. But knowing now that the church seriously needed reform and probably stooped to underhanded methods to gain power and trust over the people through faith back then... it's just a different perspective. The protagonist is harsh toward the clergy in these books, and they are harsh right back. It's entertaining reading, nonetheless.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
I've read all of the Saxon Stories and pretty much all of Bernard Cornwells books. I loved every one of them. The Grail Quest series, Saxon Stories, Sharpe series, Warlord Chronicals, Stonehenge. They were all good. I wish he would go back and finish the Starbuck Chronicals though. Cornwell put that series aside and never got back to it.

If any of you guys like the Robin Hood stories you might like The Outlaw Chronicles by Angus Donald. Its a darker version of the Robin Hood story, told from one of his men, with Robin being a very grey character.
Al Bula
AG
This Blood Song book sounds really good. I am seriously considering venturing out to a brick and mortar B&N to purchase this book.
LawAg05
AG
I definitely would. Blood Song was an excellent book. The sequel was meh and the 3rd book appears to be awful, but the first book is almost universally acclaimed.
bearamedic99
AG
The second book (Tower Lord) was better during the second reading. I just finished reading Queen of Fire and it deserves meh ratings with a meh ending.
swimmerbabe11
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2015/11/a-beautiful-game/
mid90
AG
All i read was "blah blah blah still not finished with book 3 blah blah blah you're all *******s for continually reminding me i haven't finished a book i said was done years ago blah blah"
AtlAg05
AG
New rule. Don't bump a thread unless there is a definitive release date!!!!!

schmendeler
AG
quote:
All i read was "blah blah blah still not finished with book 3 blah blah blah you're all *******s for continually reminding me i haven't finished a book i said was done years ago blah blah"
yeah, if he'd stop advertising how much he hates being told to write the book and devoted his time to it, it might come faster. sounds to me like he's just putting it off as long as possible because he is afraid it won't live up to expectations.
agmatt06
AG
quote:
quote:
yeah, if he'd stop advertising how much he hates being told to write the book and devoted his time to it, it might come faster. sounds to me like he's just putting it off as long as possible because he is afraid it won't live up to expectations.

Agreed...Book 2 wasn't nearly as good as 1. Wonder if he realizes 3 isn't going to go well either...
Deputy Travis Junior
A year ago he said that he needed a year and some change to finish book 3 before he even began the editing process. My guess is he's still writing because who the hell ever makes those kinds of deadlines? So he probably wont finish for another few months at which point he'll have to edit the whole damn thing. In short, I'd say there's a good chance book 3 won't come out in 2016 either.

agmatt, I agree that book 2 wasn't nearly as good as book 1, though I don't think that'll necessarily apply to book 3.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Tease

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.